Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
This is pretty cool, mmafighting has Ben Askren breaking down his NCAA predictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

This is pretty cool, mmafighting has Ben Askren breaking down his NCAA predictions.

Ben Askren's prediction really should just be for a severe lack of funk, since there are no Askrens in the tournament.

Their funk has been replaced by ankle hanging. And nobody likes ankle hanging.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

fatherdog posted:

I watched up until the 165ers yesterday, then had to take a long phone call, and I came back right into the heavyweights. That was, uh, a strong contrast.

Is there a big skill gap between the heavy and light weight classes like in MMA or are you just talking about the style of wrestling being different?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Neurosis posted:

Is there a big skill gap between the heavy and light weight classes like in MMA or are you just talking about the style of wrestling being different?

There's obviously that as well, but the higher you go in weight the more the style of wrestling changes and at heavyweight that gets pretty dramatic. The lower weights are very high-movement and there's a ton of very rapid and fluid level changes, but at high weights everything is handfighting, pummeling, and foot-feinting. Like Thoguh said, nobody wants to get stuck on a bad shot - there's a big difference between a 155-er trying to do a peekout from under another 155er, and a 265er trying to get out from under another 265er.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Another thing to keep in mind is that the #1 heavyweight recruit in the country every year usually spends his college career playing linebacker somewhere.

You still have a decent number of very talented heavyweights. But nowhere near the depth you see in the lower and middle weights.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Until a few decades ago there was no weight limit for heavyweight (It is now 285). So you'd end up with guys like Chris Taylor, who was an NCAA champion at over 400 lbs.

Taylor getting supleyed in the 1972 Olympics is one of the iconic moments in Olympic Wrestling history.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Semifinals are on ESPNU and ESPN3 right now if anybody wants to watch.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker

Neurosis posted:

I made a pretty informed post about this a couple years ago and I believe the jist of it was that the skills are different. The skill level at heavyweight is slightly lower because there are less of them. However that being said you couldn't take someone like Kyle Dake and blow him up to heavyweight with some magic ray and expect him to do well. Many of the things that work at lower weights don't work at heavyweight. Shooting a double for example, at lower weights I they sprawl you can TGIF through it, but at heavy if they get a sprawl on your double life sucks pretty hard. It's just completely different.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
What is TGIF?

kreayshawns talent
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tezcatlipoca posted:

What is TGIF?

Thank goodness it's Friday, obviously?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mardragon posted:

I made a pretty informed post about this a couple years ago and I believe the jist of it was that the skills are different. The skill level at heavyweight is slightly lower because there are less of them. However that being said you couldn't take someone like Kyle Dake and blow him up to heavyweight with some magic ray and expect him to do well. Many of the things that work at lower weights don't work at heavyweight. Shooting a double for example, at lower weights I they sprawl you can TGIF through it, but at heavy if they get a sprawl on your double life sucks pretty hard. It's just completely different.

Yeah, I should go looking for that post at some point actually because I remember it being pretty good and detailed. But that was most of what I was getting at.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
Pretty good day for Lehigh Sports :) also TGIF was supposed to be fight through it. Thanks auto correct.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mardragon posted:

I remembered the stylistic differences from that post but couldn't recall how well distributed skill was. Thanks!

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If he stood up he would immediately be making a threat display to the other guy, which would make violence certain. It would no longer be self defense, it would be Ryan Hall willingly partaking in a fight, which would be terrible for him legally.

I hate to beat a dead horse since it's almost been a full page, but this guy gives a pretty decent write up and describes much better than I, what the problem is if you choose to remain sitting down.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 17, 2012

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
In case people forgot, the medal rounds are on ESPNU and ESPN3 right now. Dardanes just got pinned with a cattlecatcher.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Senor P. posted:

I hate to beat a dead horse since it's almost been a full page, but this guy gives a pretty decent write up and describes much better than I, what the problem is if you choose to remain sitting down.

I thought the same thing when he went for a double leg, and then mount. Controlling hands is incredibly important when dealing with the potential for a knife. And his analysis of his buddy maybe stepping in is spot on, because while he seems to be on your side, you'll never know if he'll escalate because he thinks you're going too far.

The best stance I've ever been taught is one by a cop, is the t-rex arms, where you sort of pretend (or just do itif you are) to be a guy who talks with his hands, so you have your hands up and you're talking with your hands up the whole time. Its less aggressive/intimidating than a boxing stance, but you're ready with your hands up in case something happens. The "inquisitive" position is good too if its awkward (one arm crossed, the other touching your chin sort of thing)

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Iceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJX9QnrZtfc

This is loving awesome. Ryan Hall has been a dick to me in the past but usually he seems like a pretty cool dude.

This is what happens when you start poo poo with a guy in an rvddw jacket

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

It's David Taylor's world, we're all just taking up space in it

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Senor P. posted:

I concede my point because this is a really good write up, but I still wonder how to stand up in a way that the guy doesn't perceive as a challenge.

edit: Is there a website somewhere that teaches self-defence concepts for combat athletes? That would be interesting reading.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 18, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ch3cooh posted:

It's David Taylor's world, we're all just taking up space in it

A tech fall in the finals is.even more emberasing than a pin I think. The better wrestler can always get caught in a pin. A tech fall, on the other hand, is just pure domination.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
There were a couple matches last night where one of the wrestlers just looked totally helpless next to the other. It was pretty fun to watch, even if I haven't been able to follow the rest of the tournament due to my office blocking espn3.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

He pinned his first four opponents and then tech fall'ed in the finals. That is staggering domination. One of my old training partners wrestled D1 and he's gobsmacked. He said every match in that tournament is the hardest match you'll have all season. To just run through the field and make it look that easy is the definition of individual greatness.

Edit: oh and he's only a RS sophomore. If I were at 165 right now i'd be running for the exits to find another weight

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 18, 2012

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

The Sphinxster posted:

It's actually Chandler. I guess I put Phoenix in there in case someone knew of a place by reputation.

I train at http://southwestmma.com/

I think someone else already mentioned Arizona Combat Sports in Tempe.

There's also http://www.powermmafitness.com/ which might be close to you depending where in Chandler you're at.

There are several others, but some would be a longer drive from Chandler.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Thoguh posted:

A tech fall in the finals is.even more emberasing than a pin I think. The better wrestler can always get caught in a pin. A tech fall, on the other hand, is just pure domination.
Can you expand on this for us non-singlet people? Specifically what a tech fall is and what it signifies.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

FreakyMetalKid posted:

I train at http://southwestmma.com/

I think someone else already mentioned Arizona Combat Sports in Tempe.

There's also http://www.powermmafitness.com/ which might be close to you depending where in Chandler you're at.

There are several others, but some would be a longer drive from Chandler.

Thanks!

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Grifter posted:

Can you expand on this for us non-singlet people? Specifically what a tech fall is and what it signifies.

It's basically the mercy rule. The match ends when one guy is up by (I think) 15 points.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

Grifter posted:

A tech fall is when a wrestler has a point total greater than his opponent. From my high school experience I believe it is 15. Most likely a different number in college but probably the same principle.

A tech fall could signify that the winning wrestler pretty much scored take downs / near fall at will throughout the match.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

district of thizz posted:

A tech fall is when a wrestler has a point total greater than his opponent. From my high school experience I believe it is 15. Most likely a different number in college but probably the same principle.

A tech fall could signify that the winning wrestler pretty much scored take downs / near fall at will throughout the match.

It's 15 in college too. Taylor won 22-7 and all 7 of those were Taylor letting the guy up so he could hit another takedown

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dokomoy posted:

It's basically the mercy rule.

Yep, it's a mercy rule if you are losing by 15 or more. Pins can happen both from superior skill and from luck. But you never luck your way into a tech fall, they happen only from superior skill (or I suppose from the other guy getting hurt, but that wasn't the case for Taylor).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Speaking of collegiate grappling, Here are some highlights from the National Collegiate Judo Tournament from last week

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Nice to see a few chokes in there as well as an armbar. How "Olympic" is college level judo (insofar as much as allowing grappling)?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swagger like us posted:

Nice to see a few chokes in there as well as an armbar. How "Olympic" is college level judo (insofar as much as allowing grappling)?

The ruleset is identical and those are the same referees that would be at any national level tournament. The skill level... not so much. A few of those guys are on the national ranking roster but most of them are just college kids that train a few times a week.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Thoguh posted:

The ruleset is identical and those are the same referees that would be at any national level tournament. The skill level... not so much. A few of those guys are on the national ranking roster but most of them are just college kids that train a few times a week.

It makes me severely wish my university had a judo club or team :(. Its just too expensive to pay $100 a month for BJJ and Muay Thai, and want to do Judo a few times a month, when its $60 a month for x2 a week. Where's all these $10 clubs that goons keep talking about? Not here in Canada unfortunately (it seems Canada doesn't have much of a university level competition in Judo, and its more based around clubs and tournaments).

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

swagger like us posted:

It makes me severely wish my university had a judo club or team :(. Its just too expensive to pay $100 a month for BJJ and Muay Thai, and want to do Judo a few times a month, when its $60 a month for x2 a week. Where's all these $10 clubs that goons keep talking about? Not here in Canada unfortunately (it seems Canada doesn't have much of a university level competition in Judo, and its more based around clubs and tournaments).

What university are you at? I'm working at Memorial University in St. John's and there's a judo club there. I know U of T has one as well, and when I went to SFU they had a sub grappling club which was quite cheap.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I want to say that guy goes to university in like the greasiest part of BC. so like, surrey polytechnical institute or whatever.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

What university are you at? I'm working at Memorial University in St. John's and there's a judo club there. I know U of T has one as well, and when I went to SFU they had a sub grappling club which was quite cheap.

When were you at the sfu club?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
UWO used to have a Judo club but it morphed into the BJJ club once everyone realized Judo sucked.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

westcoaster posted:

When were you at the sfu club?

I actually never made it out to the SFU club, I was a grad student at SFU but I was rarely on campus and was training at West Coast BJJ 3 days a week anyways. I did get my rear end kicked by Yoon in a no-gi tournament once though.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

I actually never made it out to the SFU club, I was a grad student at SFU but I was rarely on campus and was training at West Coast BJJ 3 days a week anyways. I did get my rear end kicked by Yoon in a no-gi tournament once though.

Thats too bad. Its pretty decent and yoon is a great coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

------

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 10, 2014