Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
That is what I am afraid of because I didn't do the swap and I don't know what exactly the person who did screwed up. I worked treat till it suddenly didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

ultimateforce posted:

That is what I am afraid of because I didn't do the swap and I don't know what exactly the person who did screwed up. I worked treat till it suddenly didn't.
Try to push start it or just hit the starter with a screwdriver or something and see if the engine starts. That will tell you pretty quick. A hosed up starter circuit should still run the engine, just won't run the starter. EWS won't give ignition or fuel or crank and won't run even if you can make the starter work.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I tired to push start it but I don't think we could get enough speed up between me and my friend. I can't hear the fuel pump turn on either.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

ultimateforce posted:

I tired to push start it but I don't think we could get enough speed up between me and my friend. I can't hear the fuel pump turn on either.
They don't always prime and run the fuel pump when you key them on, so not hearing it might be normal. It's supposed to cycle and start when the engine starts spinning though, obviously. Jumping the relay while you're trying to push start it might help if your car usually takes a bunch of cranking with the starter from the fuel pressure bleeding back out a bad reg or pump.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Looking into selling my GTO and getting an E64 6 series convertible. Any huge issues I should be watching for? Are certain years considered better then others?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

revmoo posted:

Nope, VANOS issues are more subtle than that. Sounds to me like you have an issue w/ your ignition coils (and maybe something else). In my experience, stuttering in BMWs is usually related to bad ignition coils or boots.

I have already replaced my coils. Any other ideas?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Did you do the boots too?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

DJCobol posted:

Looking into selling my GTO and getting an E64 6 series convertible. Any huge issues I should be watching for? Are certain years considered better then others?

New is almost always better. The LCI update came in 2008, which updated the headlights and brake lights and a few other things. In 2009 the nav system switched from dvd to hard drive based. The problems though will be completely dependent on the model you're looking at getting however.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Stealth Like posted:

New is almost always better. The LCI update came in 2008, which updated the headlights and brake lights and a few other things. In 2009 the nav system switched from dvd to hard drive based. The problems though will be completely dependent on the model you're looking at getting however.

Been looking at mostly 07-08 M6 or 06+ 650i convertibles.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

DJCobol posted:

Been looking at mostly 07-08 M6 or 06+ 650i convertibles.

The M6 will be much more costly to own (I'm looking at picking up a coupe at the end of the year). You'll probably want to get an aftermarket warranty if you're going to get the M6. The most common problem on them is the SMG transmissions pump going out. The repair for it is typically $5,900 or so. The problem with it is there is no mileage range that they go out at. It could be never, or it could be as early as 13,000 miles.

Maintenance on them can also add up quick if you're putting a lot of miles on it. Brakes will run you $2000 or so if you do them yourself, and oil changes take 9L.

The engine itself however seems to be fairly reliable and I've only read a few cases of them going out. But generally anything that breaks will come with a repair bill north of $1000, they did cost over 100k new after all.

A great resource for them is http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/.

You should also check out the E60 M5 section of the board there as well as the M5 shares many of the same problems that the M6 will. People on the board are extremely friendly but make sure to do a search first as most questions have already been answered in depth.

I'm not too well versed on the 650i but I imagine it would be much cheaper all around.

LifelongFan
Dec 25, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm going to get a new 3-series sedan. Is it worth it to custom-build on the BMW website or is that stupid and going to cost several thousand more than just buying one off the lot?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
If you can handle the wait, build what you want. For example, the dealer here never orders manual transmission cars, so anyone wanting one is sol.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

LifelongFan posted:

I'm going to get a new 3-series sedan. Is it worth it to custom-build on the BMW website or is that stupid and going to cost several thousand more than just buying one off the lot?

You can sit down at a dealership, spec out a car as you desire and still negotiate on the price, to some degree. You may or may not be able to get as good a price than if you were to buy a car on the lot, but at the same time, you're not buying options or packages you don't want either.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Fuckit, if I'm ever in a position to buy a brand new car, you can bet your front roundel that I'm going to custom spec the poo poo out of that. Especially with BMW, which I think are quite customizable.

The model-specific forums often have a thread where they go into detail of which options give you what. Might be worth checking out.

Some options don't even cost anything. On my car, you can get isofix mounting points free of charge, and you can option it as a four og five person car without extra cost.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

LifelongFan posted:

Look at model specific forums and find out what people are paying out the door for their cars and expect to pay around the same. Go into a dealership and spec it there so you can negotiate on the price (but make sure you already know about what you should be paying). Remember that if you're ever going to sell it that it would be wise to spec it as high as you can. Most people that buy BMWs want every option they can get and certain options can make a large difference in the resale value of the car (sport package is one of the biggest I've found).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bolind posted:

Fuckit, if I'm ever in a position to buy a brand new car, you can bet your front roundel that I'm going to custom spec the poo poo out of that. Especially with BMW, which I think are quite customizable.

I have to agree with this. You're looking at a 6 month wait + an extra $600+ in transport costs, but, want red leather with black stitching, in a blue car with beige trim? Go hawg wild! The dealership is going to have miles of row after row of silver with black leather, black on black bmws with the most popular features preinstalled, along with a couple of other colors. If you plan on keeping it for a long time, I really think this is the way to go. You'll be able to look at the car every morning and think, "built specifically for me from the factory, to my specifications". A nice luxury if you're willing to pay for it, and wait for the car to arrive.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
If you find a good sales guy, I don't see why it would cost any more than buying off the lot. I custom ordered my car along with European delivery for well under MSRP earlier this year by finding a great sales guy to work with. Although since the F30 just started selling, dealers might not be willing to bargain as much.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
So, I need new bulb sockets for my front corners on my E46 sedan, pre-facelift. Before I knew this, I took the driver-side blinker assembly out, and the little push-clip that you're suppose to press with a screwdriver snapped off. This happened after I got the assembly out. I was able to push the assembly back into place as it fits pretty snug on there enough not to worry about it falling off.

Now, without that clip, I have nothing to push the assembly forward. I quickly tried one night using a single screwdriver to try and wedge it out, but it seems to be holding pretty good. Anyone have suggestions on how to pull that assembly out without destroying the side of the headlight it sits flush with and without marring up the fender on the other side of the assembly?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

LifelongFan posted:

If you're a Costco member you can go through their car buying program, spec up what you want and they should be able to cut a deal on your behalf. They also list the dealer prices for various options so if you want to go it alone you'll have some idea of the markup. I'm thinking about going that route when I get a Mini only I need to do more research on those cars before I jump in.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Fermunky posted:

So, I need new bulb sockets for my front corners on my E46 sedan, pre-facelift. Before I knew this, I took the driver-side blinker assembly out, and the little push-clip that you're suppose to press with a screwdriver snapped off. This happened after I got the assembly out. I was able to push the assembly back into place as it fits pretty snug on there enough not to worry about it falling off.

Now, without that clip, I have nothing to push the assembly forward. I quickly tried one night using a single screwdriver to try and wedge it out, but it seems to be holding pretty good. Anyone have suggestions on how to pull that assembly out without destroying the side of the headlight it sits flush with and without marring up the fender on the other side of the assembly?
I'll have to go home to see if there's another point you could use, but you could always try wrapping the flat head with a towel so you don't mess up the fender.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Well, it seemed no matter where I put the screwdriver on the fender-side of the assembly, when I go to pry it out, it seems to move it towards the center of the car (or into the headlight) rather than straight forward... I am gonna take another stab at it tonight. No rush as I only just ordered new blinker assemblies for both sides as they come with the new bulb sockets too.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

LifelongFan posted:

https://www.bmwconfig.com

Find a dealer on a popular internet forum about BMW to pay 750 over invoice and order what you want.

Or do European delivery and take the same pricing structure and save even more.

LifelongFan
Dec 25, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks guys! I'll try the forum idea, I've seen some active dealers on forums already in my area, I'll give them a call.

I'd LOVE to do European delivery, and the whole thing sounds amazing, but the logistics aren't going to work this time around. Maybe in 4-5 years.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

LifelongFan posted:

Thanks guys! I'll try the forum idea, I've seen some active dealers on forums already in my area, I'll give them a call.

I'd LOVE to do European delivery, and the whole thing sounds amazing, but the logistics aren't going to work this time around. Maybe in 4-5 years.

There are people that fly over, drive the car to the port, and fly back. Kind of kills the point of European delivery, but ED does save you money. You can get a car for basically 13% off MSRP + $750. Of course then you have to wait for the car to be shipped back over.

I definitely agree that you should find a dealer on the BMW forums that will do $750ish over invoice. You may find luck at local dealerships, but it depends on what city you are in. If it's a rick area dealers won't budge much because they know someone will buy the car at MSRP. You don't have to go crazy with options, but you definitely want the big stuff like nav, leather seats, etc.

Realjones fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 20, 2012

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Fermunky posted:

Have you tried putting a sucker on it and pulling it out?

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Stealth Like posted:

The M6 will be much more costly to own (I'm looking at picking up a coupe at the end of the year). You'll probably want to get an aftermarket warranty if you're going to get the M6. The most common problem on them is the SMG transmissions pump going out. The repair for it is typically $5,900 or so. The problem with it is there is no mileage range that they go out at. It could be never, or it could be as early as 13,000 miles

I'm not too well versed on the 650i but I imagine it would be much cheaper all around.

Having driven both the M6 and 650i in anger, IMO there is no comparison at all :) Now if you're just looking for a luxury cruiser that's a completely different proposition. As for reliability my colleague's '07 or '08 M6 vert sees a daily commute of 35 miles each way and the occasional track day, but it's held up really well with no unscheduled maintenance needed in the past year he's owned it. It does consume oil at a fairly sickening rate though - like a quart every 1,500+ miles

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I just found out the hard way that if after replacing your brake light switch on an E34, if you forget to plug it back in that your car will not shift out of park.

Also, is there a trick to pulling out the brake light switch? I actually read some advice on the internet that said to just break it to pull it out it if it's bad anyway. It was a major bitch to pull the replacement at the junkyard, to pull the broken one out of my car, and even to put the new one in.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

FIRST TIME posted:

Also, is there a trick to pulling out the brake light switch? I actually read some advice on the internet that said to just break it to pull it out it if it's bad anyway. It was a major bitch to pull the replacement at the junkyard, to pull the broken one out of my car, and even to put the new one in.
Yeah the problem is it's like drat impossible to compress the little tabs that hold it in there while it's actually mounted. I just cut mine in half to get it out and bought a new one.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

Have you tried putting a sucker on it and pulling it out?

No, but a great idea. Now I just gotta find a sucker, other than my friend [bazinga]

Edit: Actually, my shower radio has some great suction cups on it, think I just found my solution. Thanks again Mark Larson!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Admirable Gusto posted:

It does consume oil at a fairly sickening rate though - like a quart every 1,500+ miles

My 550i consumes oil as well! Speaking from driving both the E60 550i and the E60 M5, I would honestly say get an 550i. Better on gas, but still get the amazing thrust. Though its hard to tell long term longevity on either though, but last time I was at the dealer, there was an 07 550i with 178,000 miles on it. Same transmission and engine. Guy said it has been pretty good minus the CCC (the idrive computer) died once. He said his valve guides are shot, so it blows blue smoke every so often but a quart of synthetic is cheaper than replacing 32 valve seals.

But if I was in a better financial position, I would sell my E60 and buy an E34 M5. The sound of the an angry strait 6 makes me happy.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Fermunky posted:

No, but a great idea. Now I just gotta find a sucker, other than my friend [bazinga]

Edit: Actually, my shower radio has some great suction cups on it, think I just found my solution. Thanks again Mark Larson!

THIS IS A BMW THREAD. brb, pulling out my blinkers with my shower radio.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
As per Revmoo's suggestion about my coils, I did some more digging and found that the engine ground to the passenger side is supposedly (more) directly related to the coils/ignition than anything else. I don't have the car with me right now but as I recall that ground was very corroded and frayed. It looked like a very thick strand of the telephone pole support wire, completely unshielded.

Worth it to go in there and just replace the whole thing with some 0-gage?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
crosspostin' this.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
What hath man wrought?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I like it and the ZHP E46 pickup truck floating around that was built from a wrecked ZHP.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
That tow truck is awesome and was clearly done with skill and a sense of humor. All it needs is chrome window trim on the extended-cab portholes and it would be perfect.

Unreal Fantasy
Oct 18, 2004
im really not sure where this (build?) is going but i thought id test the waters in here first. so I've had this 1969 2002 for around a year and finally decided to do something about it. I have been accumulating parts, some in the pictures some not, and tomorrow the car is going to the shop space where it will be wrenched on and "restored". I will be keeping the M10 in it but i have a '83 320i 5 speed coming to swap with the stock transmission. as for the interior there were some newer 3 series front seats that have been removed and i have (pictured) some stock navy seats. well ill try and keep this updated with the progress.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Does anybody know how a BMW's computer, specifically an E36, calculated the 'oil life left?' Usually I can go about 8,000 miles before it's down to the last green bar (which seems good since I use full synthetic, though I usually change it by then), but since I changed my oil two weeks ago and reset the indicator with my Peake Research tool (that I've been using for over four years), I'm down to three out of five bars.

800 miles for two bars? That means according to my car I can suddenly go 2,000 miles on an oil change, which is a quarter of what it usually is. The only difference is that the weather is now nice.

Should I ignore it, or could it be indicative of a problem somewhere? I thought they went off of a simple calculation based on mileage and drive cycles but I gotta be wrong.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Does anybody know how a BMW's computer, specifically an E36, calculated the 'oil life left?' Usually I can go about 8,000 miles before it's down to the last green bar (which seems good since I use full synthetic, though I usually change it by then), but since I changed my oil two weeks ago and reset the indicator with my Peake Research tool (that I've been using for over four years), I'm down to three out of five bars.

800 miles for two bars? That means according to my car I can suddenly go 2,000 miles on an oil change, which is a quarter of what it usually is. The only difference is that the weather is now nice.

Should I ignore it, or could it be indicative of a problem somewhere? I thought they went off of a simple calculation based on mileage and drive cycles but I gotta be wrong.

As far as I know, it's a mix of time and kilometers driven, whichever limit is reached first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I know on the E46 it gives you a miles to service indication and it's based on fuel consumption, that is the interval is X liters of fuel and it converts that to miles based on mpg. No idea if E36 is the same.