Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Realjones posted:

I think bitching about Gibson's QC is the flavor of the month really. Of course some guitars have defects, but the majority come out just fine.

I assume you want a guitar that says "Gibson" on the headstock and not "Epiphone," and there's nothing wrong with that. If your budget is around $1k, so I'd suggest the 50s/60s tribute studios, which were about $850 new and can be had used for less.

The best value on a custom will be a used r7 or r8, which are 1957/58 historic reissues - some of the best les pauls you can buy (all solid body, no PCBs, etc), but they will be $2400+ (used).

Thanks for the help, RealJones. The sale that I'm looking at at the moment doesn't have anything used unfortunately, but I did get a chance to play a whole bunch of LP's. I played a couple of studios and was a little unimpressed to start with actually. Which is a shame, because price-wise, they're going for ~$1300 which to me seems pretty damned reasonable. Of course, as my luck would have it I ended up falling in love with an ebony standard that's going for about a grand more. It just had such a gorgeous full bodied tone to it that blew the first studio and the other traditional that I tried out of the water.

I did check out another studio that was better than the first, and it actually stood up pretty well against the standard, tone wise. I mean, the standard was better, just gorgeous, but $1000 better? I don't really think I can justify it. My main problem is that I could probably improve the sound of the studio by changing the pickups around more to my liking, but there's no substituting how much smoother the standard played. The 50's neck on the studio just seemed a bit clunky to me, whereas the asymmetrical neck on the standard was perfect. What sucks about that is that I won't be able to find a studio with an asymmetrical neck and if I want one, it looks like I'm going to have to spend another thousand bucks to get it.

Unless there's another option with the asymmetrical neck, but I've done some digging and can't seem to find anything but the standard that has it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

ibntumart posted:

Is there any reason to favor a MIM Fender body over a Squier Classic Vibe body for my still-very-much-in-the-blueprint-stage partscaster project?

Only if there are noticeable areas of better construction on the MIM. Or different body woods.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So, I still am having some trouble doing bends. My fingernail slides underneath the strings next to the ones I'm bending and depending how fast I'm going they'll get caught and hurt a lot when I release, or make a nice, horrible "TWANG" sound when I let go. My fingernails aren't long, I think it's just a problem with my technique. I notice on justinguitar.com the strings he bends gather underneath the fleshy part of his finger but when I bend a string the next ones are half way up my fingernail and if I bend a LOT the first one will be well up my finger and.. well it's just a mess. I can do it right if I concentrate, but when I'm trying to play fast it's tough. Is this a thing I'll just get better at as I play more?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
When I bend (and I bend a lot) I suppose I make a sort of rolling motion with the finger, so that rather than just sliding the string against the fretboard, I'm pushing it up towards me. So like if you have your finger on the string, and you go to bend, make a motion like you're extending your finger from it's curled position.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

explosivo posted:

. I can do it right if I concentrate, but when I'm trying to play fast it's tough. Is this a thing I'll just get better at as I play more?

You answered your own question.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mr. Wiggles posted:

When I bend (and I bend a lot) I suppose I make a sort of rolling motion with the finger, so that rather than just sliding the string against the fretboard, I'm pushing it up towards me. So like if you have your finger on the string, and you go to bend, make a motion like you're extending your finger from it's curled position.

Thank you, I know exactly what you mean. I just need to keep at it I guess. :)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How high's the action on your guitar? (Height of the strings above the fretboard.) If the action's too high you'll have to press down a lot more, which might explain why the other strings are high up on your nail. You can also use your first finger to mute the other strings by extending it a bit, so it catches them before your fretting finger gets there

Also helps if you mute the lower strings with your picking hand, not just when you're bending either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tmM83KeP28

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was thinking that too actually, I think my action is a little high because I get a noticeable amount of fret buzz. Is lowering the action something I can do or should I take it to a shop to get that done?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's usually low action in conjunction with improper neck relief that causes buzzing.
How much buzzing are you getting?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It buzzes a lot if I don't hit the fret perfectly in the center with just the right pressure. I'm almost certain it's an abnormal amount of buzz. I don't know how to quantify the amount of buzzing :ohdear:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No, I mean, does it happen on every fret? And when you say "hit the fret perfectly in the center" do you mean on top of the fretwire or in between two pieces of fretwire?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh I see, it happens all over the neck. And doing it now it only buzzes if I have my finger closer to the top fretwire instead of right above the lower fretwire; which I know the proper technique is to finger just above the lower fretwire of whatever fret I'm trying to play, so when I'm playing single notes I don't get much buzz but if I have to move around fast or play chords there's usually a string or two that buzzes because my finger lands a bit father away than it should be. It could be a technique problem but I do think it's a bit off. I have to push really hard when I strum a chord for there not to be any buzz at all.

Edit: And when I get farther up (down?) the neck into the higher notes it's really hard to not get any buzz at all because of the smaller space between fretwires.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 14, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

explosivo posted:

Oh I see, it happens all over the neck. And doing it now it only buzzes if I have my finger closer to the top fretwire instead of right above the lower fretwire; which I know the proper technique is to finger just above the lower fretwire of whatever fret I'm trying to play, so when I'm playing single notes I don't get much buzz but if I have to move around fast or play chords there's usually a string or two that buzzes because my finger lands a bit father away than it should be. It could be a technique problem but I do think it's a bit off. I have to push really hard when I strum a chord for there not to be any buzz at all.

Edit: And when I get farther up (down?) the neck into the higher notes it's really hard to not get any buzz at all because of the smaller space between fretwires.

Bring your guitar to a guitar tech and have it set up properly.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think I will. Thanks!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So I finally got my new pickups, and I'm trying to figure out how I need to wire them. They're DiMarzios, so the setup is visually different from the Epiphone pickups they'll be replacing. How do I know if I need standard wiring or out-of-phase wiring? It's on a Les Paul, so I've got a tone & volume pot for each pickup and a standard 3-way selector switch. I'm planning on wiring them in series and the current pickups appear to be only 2-conductor.

Also the instructions I found recommend using e-tape to cover the two conductors that get soldered together. Is there a preferred method to this? I found a couple of sites that recommend wire nuts, but in my experience wire nuts tend to cause nothing but headaches.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 16, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

MockingQuantum posted:

So I finally got my new pickups, and I'm trying to figure out how I need to wire them. They're DiMarzios, so the setup is visually different from the Epiphone pickups they'll be replacing. How do I know if I need standard wiring or out-of-phase wiring? It's on a Les Paul, so I've got a tone & volume pot for each pickup and a standard 3-way selector switch. I'm planning on wiring them in series and the current pickups appear to be only 2-conductor.

Also the instructions I found recommend using e-tape to cover the two conductors that get soldered together. Is there a preferred method to this? I found a couple of sites that recommend wire nuts, but in my experience wire nuts tend to cause nothing but headaches.

Get the stuff that shrinks with heat. It'd be a lot cleaner than regular electrical tape which can turn really gooey and loosen over time.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

ibntumart posted:

Is there any reason to favor a MIM Fender body over a Squier Classic Vibe body for my still-very-much-in-the-blueprint-stage partscaster project?
Bullshit answer: The MIM has a Alder body and, thus, a vastly superior tone than the Pine bodied Squier CV.

Real answer: Pine is a really soft wood and does get dings pretty easily. But the CV has better sounding pups if you intend on keeping them.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Anyone have any suggestions for places to get backing tracks? Either of more well-known songs to play the guitar parts over, or just random bits someone made in FruityLoops or whatever to jam over the top of. Most of the sites I'm finding for them are offering backing tracks as a like, mid-90s $50 Casio Keyboard playing electric piano. I'd obviously prefer free, of course(who wouldn't), but I wouldn't be opposed to dropping a little money either.

I was kind of hoping for a lot of variety, anything from rock to symphony, but because there's so many sites with such a terrible signal-to-noise ratio I'm willing to take what I can get.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

When I hammer down on a fret to play it, I also get a secondary sound, apparently from the fret before it. If I mute the string above the fret I'm hitting, I get the intended note cleanly.

Is this normal? Or could it be something wrong with my action/neck relief?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Just sounds like a technique thing.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

404notfound posted:

When I hammer down on a fret to play it, I also get a secondary sound, apparently from the fret before it. If I mute the string above the fret I'm hitting, I get the intended note cleanly.

I'm pretty sure its normal, it sounds like its probably harmonics. What type of guitar are you using?
I know on my classical if I mute all the strings over the sound hole and hammer on with just one finger at about fret 5 through 10 i can get clearly audible harmonics (not all sound good) from the length of string that is free to vibrate up to the nut.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Pretentious Turtle posted:

It's usually low action in conjunction with improper neck relief that causes buzzing.
How much buzzing are you getting?

In all honesty, some level of fret buzz is acceptable if you want really low action. It's not necessarily going to be noticible when amplified.

404notfound posted:

This sounds like harmonics from sloppy technique; it probably just requires some practice to get rid of. The other option is that your neck relief is set with too much bow to it, although that much bow in your neck would probably cause really inconsistent action along the neck that you'd notice while playing in general.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 19, 2012

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Vincent Valentine posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for places to get backing tracks? Either of more well-known songs to play the guitar parts over, or just random bits someone made in FruityLoops or whatever to jam over the top of. Most of the sites I'm finding for them are offering backing tracks as a like, mid-90s $50 Casio Keyboard playing electric piano. I'd obviously prefer free, of course(who wouldn't), but I wouldn't be opposed to dropping a little money either.

I was kind of hoping for a lot of variety, anything from rock to symphony, but because there's so many sites with such a terrible signal-to-noise ratio I'm willing to take what I can get.

By backing tracks what exactly do you mean? Are you looking for re-records of songs without the guitar parts or what? Is there a reason karaoke backing tracks aren't useful for what you're doing?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Epi Lepi posted:

By backing tracks what exactly do you mean? Are you looking for re-records of songs without the guitar parts or what? Is there a reason karaoke backing tracks aren't useful for what you're doing?

Totally guitar-less tracks don't really exist beyond the occasional track that got imported into Rock Band or Guitar Hero. For the most part, there aren't a bunch of pro bands out there recording guitarless karaoke tracks.

I would mostly just use those cheap Guitar Pro tracks and just deal with the fact they don't sound as good - it doesn't mostly matter for just the bass and drum part. They don't sound great, but it's not like you're making pro tracks.

Pretentious Turtle posted:

I'm looking for a new amp, I've been without one for too long and stuck with my (admittedly nice) Pod.
Things I want it to be:
Tube
Combo
Lowish wattage
More than one channel

I've been looking at the lower end Blackstars, and the Peavey 6505 112 (I know it's MIC and isn't quite as good as the real thing but man I love that 5150/+ sound). I've heard that Bugera's quality has improved greatly too, so I guess they're on my radar too.
I'm willing to buy used, and I'd prefer to keep it at or under 600.

Any recommendations?
Jet City Amplification makes a Soldano SLO clone (designed by Mike Soldano himself) that's two-channel and a 50w combo ($600). They also make a 20w combo that's a lot cheaper (like $350) and is a clone of the Soldano Atomic 16.

Whether the 6505 combos that are MIC are "not quite as good as the real thing," for the most part it's basically the same amp. The whole MIC thing is really overblown, particularly with amps. It's not going to sound appreciably different because both amps are printed circuit board amps that are just done by robots on computers; they have the same circuit. Besides, old 5150 combos and heads rarely cost a lot due to the inherently cheapness of Peavey stuff so if you need to justify a US product, just buy a used one. I suppose the parts could be crummy, but really, the parts on a US made amp probably came from China too.

Besides, the whole "MIC" craze hasn't been a totally merited complaint in a decade or so. I started playing 10 years ago and the products that were available then from Korea/etc. were poo poo compared to what we've got available now. It's insane the kind of gear you can pull these days on a normal person's budget. Even 5-10 years ago, you only really got tube amps if you were a pro or rich. They didn't have $350 Soldano-clone combos back then; you had to spend like 800+ to get a tube amp.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I was mostly referring to the speaker in it, but now that I think of it, isn't it the same one Peavey's been using in the 6505 combos anyway?

That being said Jet City poo poo hadn't been on my radar, but I'll check it out and see how it compares to what I'm currently checking out - the Blackstar HT-5R.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Check out the Marshall Class 5 too.
http://www.marshallamps.com/product_range.asp?productRangeId=29

Only one channel, but throw a tubescreamer or a boost or something in front of it if you want 2 sounds out of it.

They are price dropping all over the place too.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Youtube has a ton of these. Search by key, etc. To get them into mp3 format, there are websites that you can punch in the Youtube url and it'll poop out a download link. Got a ton on my ipod.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Epi Lepi posted:

Re-records without the guitar part are fine, but even just plain rhythms and stuff are great as well. I've been working on improvisation a lot lately and recorded a lot of my own rhythm playing to play over the top of, but I can't play drums or any other instrument at all so I was hoping to find some others. Unfortunately, guitar-less tracks are either rare or terrible in my experience. Especially of ones that are popular guitar songs with the guitar parts removed

Philthy posted:

Youtube has a ton of these. Search by key, etc. To get them into mp3 format, there are websites that you can punch in the Youtube url and it'll poop out a download link. Got a ton on my ipod.

Ah, yeah, this did it. I don't know why I didn't think to search youtube before, but it's got pretty much anything I could want.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 20, 2012

Rog McDodge
Oct 21, 2005

Ah, yeah, this did it. I don't know why I didn't think to search youtube before, but it's got pretty much anything I could want.

Unless you are tuned to Eb...

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Rog McDodge posted:

Unless you are tuned to Eb...

There are six little knobs on the guitar that can fix that problem

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
Why would what tuning you're in matter at all for jamming over backing tracks?

tngffl
May 6, 2008

Re-records without the guitar part are fine, but even just plain rhythms and stuff are great as well. I've been working on improvisation a lot lately and recorded a lot of my own rhythm playing to play over the top of, but I can't play drums or any other instrument at all so I was hoping to find some others. Unfortunately, guitar-less tracks are either rare or terrible in my experience. Especially of ones that are popular guitar songs with the guitar parts removed

This isn't too bad if you look around.

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
These are decent 12 bar blues backing tracks in multiple configurations and keys: http://www.torvund.net/guitar/index.php?page=Backing_blues

I suggest tossing them into REAPER or something similar and adding your own VSTi's though because generic MIDI always sounds terrible.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Orthogonalus posted:

Why would what tuning you're in matter at all for jamming over backing tracks?

open strings and the highest notes. It's also kind of a pain to transpose everything if you're not familiar with all the keys.

If you plan on playing songs written in standard tuning, though, why tune down in the first place?

Either way, it's not hard to re-tune.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

CalvinDooglas posted:

open strings and the highest notes. It's also kind of a pain to transpose everything if you're not familiar with all the keys.

If you plan on playing songs written in standard tuning, though, why tune down in the first place?

Either way, it's not hard to re-tune.

You're right, I guess I was just thinking about improvising, not playing actual songs.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've never been good at barre chords, and I feel like I've plateaued in my improvement. My problem is, I still have strings that are muting out (usually the G, as it tends to land near one of my knuckles), and after even a short time playing, my hand gets sore as hell. Anybody have any suggestions on what I could do, besides "play more barre chords?" I'm doing plenty of that, it just doesn't seem to help anymore. Are there any targeted exercises I could do that would help with barres?

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone have any tips on playing fast solos like the one from Master of Puppets? I can't play the fast alternate picking parts no matter how hard I try. I've had about 6 long sessions with the metronome gradually speeding up, but I'm nowhere near the full tempo. I've been playing for about 5 years, so it's frustrating that I still haven't developed the speed to do this yet. I also have similar trouble with the first guitar solo in La Grande, by ZZ Top. Even if I try to sweep pick and use legato I can't seem to get it (and then I don't get the right tone either).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^ I'm no shredder but I think it takes time to build up accurate speed. I always recommend playing at your target bpm, but playing at half-speed and throwing in some full-speed runs every now and then. So say you're trying to play 16ths at 130 bpm but your fingers are stumbling a little, play 8ths instead and throw in bursts of 16ths, like 1-2-3-4-1-2-3&4&1-2-3-4... It helps you play accurately for short bursts and gives you rest breaks, and gradually you can extend your fast bits as it gets easier to sustain playing at that speed. Something to try on top of your usual routine anyway

MockingQuantum posted:

I've never been good at barre chords, and I feel like I've plateaued in my improvement. My problem is, I still have strings that are muting out (usually the G, as it tends to land near one of my knuckles), and after even a short time playing, my hand gets sore as hell. Anybody have any suggestions on what I could do, besides "play more barre chords?" I'm doing plenty of that, it just doesn't seem to help anymore. Are there any targeted exercises I could do that would help with barres?

If the barre itself is giving you problems, try rolling your first finger to the side slightly, so you're barring with the harder part of your finger instead of the soft, fleshy underside with all the gaps. Justin Geetar recommends kinda fretting at an angle too
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-111-EShapeMajorMinorBarreChords.php
What shape are you muting the G on? E minor shapes? Or is it the extra barring on the A major shapes?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

coolbian57 posted:

Anyone have any tips on playing fast solos like the one from Master of Puppets? I can't play the fast alternate picking parts no matter how hard I try. I've had about 6 long sessions with the metronome gradually speeding up, but I'm nowhere near the full tempo. I've been playing for about 5 years, so it's frustrating that I still haven't developed the speed to do this yet. I also have similar trouble with the first guitar solo in La Grande, by ZZ Top. Even if I try to sweep pick and use legato I can't seem to get it (and then I don't get the right tone either).

For context, Master of Puppets was the first song I tried to learn how to play (after One) 5 years ago, and I still can't nail that solo. (I also never practice it, but I know the notes.) Work on Metallica's riffs and then drop them, their riffs are super beginner friendly, but their solos are far harder. Branch out and then come back to them in a couple years. I suggest Megadeth after you're comfortable with Metallica, their riffs are much more technically demanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

baka kaba posted:

What shape are you muting the G on? E minor shapes? Or is it the extra barring on the A major shapes?

Just the E minor or variations thereof. It's a problem with my index not being positioned right/not being strong enough, I'm just not sure which.