Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Paragon8 posted:

ah I was under the impression that the yashica t3 was pretty much auto only. That's good to know! It's hard finding any manual info on it :(

Trick the DX sensor with electrical tape to block off contacts or by scraping the paint off to expose them. I do that to push Tri-X in my Olympus Stylus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I'm one of you now

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
God drat fixed lens p/s on ebay are absurdly expensive.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I was able to score a Nikon L35 yesterday and it looks like everything work appropriately as far as I can tell, this is my first entry into some kind of film camera. From the manual it say that the ASA/ISO settings go from 400-500-640 to 1000 which seems pretty awkward because it skips 800 and doesn't even go up to 1600. The manual also mentioned that ISO 1600 film could be used set at 1000, but wouldn't that over-expose the film? or is there little consequence to this.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

$2 at the thrift store, hell yeah giant drunk viewfinder

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp

Mest0r posted:

I was able to score a Nikon L35 yesterday and it looks like everything work appropriately as far as I can tell, this is my first entry into some kind of film camera. From the manual it say that the ASA/ISO settings go from 400-500-640 to 1000 which seems pretty awkward because it skips 800 and doesn't even go up to 1600. The manual also mentioned that ISO 1600 film could be used set at 1000, but wouldn't that over-expose the film? or is there little consequence to this.

I think you can overexpose C-41 film by a couple stops before it begins to affect the image. I've run 800 film through my L35AF at 400 ISO, and the shots turned out okay:

I'm not too sure about underexposure, though. The L35AF is an amazing brick of a camera. Enjoy!

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I'll probably just end up throwing some ISO 800 film in one day and see what happens, it's not that big of a deal anyway. I picked up the camera of Saturday morning and burned through 3 rolls of Kodak Gold later that night at a family party. Got them developed yesterday and scanned them in and it looks like everything is fully functional so I'm pretty stoked about that. I've got some Portra and Ektar headed my way now, I can't wait to see how that stuff turns out.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mest0r posted:

1000 is 2/3 stop overexposure for 1600 film, it will be completely unnoticeable except maybe a slight increase in saturation.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
My father in law gave me this guy that had been sitting in their basement... just snagged 4 rolls of Superia 400 at Rite-Aid (only film at the only brick-and-mortar in town that sells film) to shoot for practice.

Rollei by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Can't wait to tote it around D.C. this weekend. If I've never really shot film before should I be bracketing to make sure I get usable exposures?

VVV drat, I hadn't even thought of bracketing focus, thanks!

voodoorootbeer fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 9, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

voodoorootbeer posted:

Can't wait to tote it around D.C. this weekend. If I've never really shot film before should I be bracketing to make sure I get usable exposures?

Up to you. Negative film is pretty forgiving, the meter's not the best but it's acceptable. Since there's no rangefinder, I recommend bracketing focus too if possible, particularly when you're at f/2.8 to f/5.6. Make sure you take the lens cap off, and get a good grip to minimize the movements you introduce.

Also make sure the rewind lever is fully down or your film won't advance properly :negative:

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Got some of my film developed today. Shot on Kodak Gold 200:

Can't wait to try out some other film, I have Portra 400 in the camera now.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Awkward Davies posted:

PhotoMart on Congress? I'm still mad that I missed them going out of business.

Fotoshops, Photomart isn't a place! The bad one was an architectural salvage shop down by Franklin. It's a cool place but they're pricing mangled old lensless Brownies as 'antiques.'

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 12, 2012

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Got some film back from my T4 and Stylus Epic. It's all Kodak 800. I was fairly set on selling both of them, but now I'm not so sure.

T4:

Frozen Food by ChapmanSeth, on Flickr

Jason Also by ChapmanSeth, on Flickr

Treebow by ChapmanSeth, on Flickr

Stylus Epic:

Truck by ChapmanSeth, on Flickr

Pre-Camp by ChapmanSeth, on Flickr

The Road by ChapmanSeth, on Flickr

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

Mest0r posted:

Got some of my film developed today. Shot on Kodak Gold 200:

Can't wait to try out some other film, I have Portra 400 in the camera now.

I see you attend/live near UCSD, nice seeing somebody shooting film here, especially seeing as I found out my stylus pro leaks light :(.

EDIT: Could I spend $20-30 and get away with finding a sharp point & shoot with a max aperture of around f/2.8 in good condition? Kind of bummed my first point & shoot didn't work out.

ReptilePicasso fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 14, 2012

mes
Apr 28, 2006

ReptilePicasso posted:

I see you attend/live near UCSD, nice seeing somebody shooting film here, especially seeing as I found out my stylus pro leaks light :(.

EDIT: Could I spend $20-30 and get away with finding a sharp point & shoot with a max aperture of around f/2.8 in good condition? Kind of bummed my first point & shoot didn't work out.

Keh has a Stylus Epic 35mm f2.8 for $45 EX condition if you really wanted to scoop one up right now. And yeah, finishing up my final year at UCSD.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ReptilePicasso posted:

I have one that leaks light a little. I put electrical tape around the edge of it. It's fine. Looks like crap but I mostly use it in low light anyway so it's not that noticeable.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I had to explain what a film camera was to a model today. I've been terry richardsoning it up and taking some snaps on my T3 on my shoot.

The conversation went pretty much like this -

"Oh let me just grab a snap on my film camera"

"what is that some kind of pretend camera?"

"..."

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Paragon8 posted:

I had to explain what a film camera was to a model today. I've been terry richardsoning it up and taking some snaps on my T3 on my shoot.

The conversation went pretty much like this -

"Oh let me just grab a snap on my film camera"

"what is that some kind of pretend camera?"

"..."

:catstare:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Now we know why Terry treats his models the way he does. He's just furious about people dissing film.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

HPL posted:

Now we know why Terry treats his models the way he does. He's just furious about people dissing film.

"Does Terry Richardson have to choke a bitch?"

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 15, 2012

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Trail by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

nikon l35af

agfa vista 400

sky

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
After my previous misadventures with an Olympus ECR Rangefinder, where the camera shutter was uncooperative, producing mostly overexposed white blobs. I decided to have another go.I decided to solve my camera-problem by throwing money at it and bought some Kodak (RIP) 400 speed film and picked up this baby:

Olympus 35SP. The lens, finder and interior are super clean and it came with it's bag, lens-cap and strap too. Paid 70$. Hope I didn't overpay.
Shutter seems to work, as does metering with a 1.4V hearing aid battery padded with some aluminium foil.

Full metering in manual mode, baby! Spot metering, too. :D

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 18, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002
I want to purchase a fun and simple camera as a gift. I think my friend would be into old timey Lomo stuff, what do you recommend at under fifty bucks or so on eBay? Is the Smena 8M alright? I'd like something that takes 35mm film and preferably (which the Smena lacks, I think) you could focus with?

E: The Holga 135 maybe?

widunder fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 18, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If they don't have a separate light meter, you'll probably want to get them a camera with a meter in it. I'd recommend looking at 70's/80's Japanese manual focus SLRs like a Pentax ME because they're reasonably priced, look nifty and work great. Plus they usually have automatic exposure and use commonly available batteries. It's also less of a crapshoot, quality-wise.

If you want something more rangefindery, try something like an Olympus XA. Same deal as above.

Lomo stuff is neat for a while but then it sits and collects dust when you get tired of the novelty. Good cameras will keep on trucking for years.

widunder
May 2, 2002

HPL posted:

If they don't have a separate light meter, you'll probably want to get them a camera with a meter in it. I'd recommend looking at 70's/80's Japanese manual focus SLRs like a Pentax ME because they're reasonably priced, look nifty and work great. Plus they usually have automatic exposure and use commonly available batteries. It's also less of a crapshoot, quality-wise.

If you want something more rangefindery, try something like an Olympus XA. Same deal as above.
Thanks man, I'll look around.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Yeah I think she'd be more into something compact.

How's the Konica C35? Looks tasty.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Konica_C35

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Selling my Yashica T4/crosspost from the Buy/Sell thread:

You can see it here

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

nemoulette posted:

Yeah I think she'd be more into something compact.

How's the Konica C35? Looks tasty.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Konica_C35

The light meter is very limited as it can only go up to ISO 400. The rangefinder patch is kind of dim, but that's a general problem with old rangefinders. If you can get one in good working order, it'll be okay. Build quality is robust enough. If there's a downside to it, it's that it needs a type of battery that is harder to find these days.

widunder
May 2, 2002

HPL posted:

The light meter is very limited as it can only go up to ISO 400. The rangefinder patch is kind of dim, but that's a general problem with old rangefinders. If you can get one in good working order, it'll be okay. Build quality is robust enough. If there's a downside to it, it's that it needs a type of battery that is harder to find these days.
Yeah the batteries seem to be a real hassle, too bad since the camera is perfect otherwise. Can you order them online?

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp

Nikon One Touch Zoom QD

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

nemoulette posted:

Yeah the batteries seem to be a real hassle, too bad since the camera is perfect otherwise. Can you order them online?

You can either try Amazon, which usually have the drop in replacements.

Or, if you are going to shoot a lot, grab these so called MR-9 adapters, which adapt the size and also adjust the voltage to the 1,35V the mercury cells provided. Thus no meter adjustment is required and you also make back the $35 in 6 or so batteries as with the adapter you can use dollar-store LR44 or better CR44 batteries.

http://www.kanto-cs.co.jp/english/adapter/adapter_en.html

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It's fine to have to order batteries if it's your own camera, but come on, it's a gift. It should be as hassle-free as possible.

widunder
May 2, 2002

HPL posted:

It's fine to have to order batteries if it's your own camera, but come on, it's a gift. It should be as hassle-free as possible.
Yeah I know, this is why I'm being hesitant on it. The Olympus XA you recommended looks perfect but I think she's be more into something more vintagey (and less 90s) looking. Choices, choices...

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

nemoulette posted:

I think she's be more into something more vintagey (and less 90s) looking. Choices, choices...

XA came out in 1979!

For what it's worth, I hate my XA. Only time I get a photo in focus is luck. The rangefinder patch is so dim I can barely see it, even on a bright sunny day.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

eggsovereasy posted:

XA came out in 1979!

For what it's worth, I hate my XA. Only time I get a photo in focus is luck. The rangefinder patch is so dim I can barely see it, even on a bright sunny day.

Get an XA2. They're much cheaper and all you need is the ability to tell the difference between a human and a mountain.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

eggsovereasy posted:

XA came out in 1979!

Put a sharpie dot on the viewfinder to increase the contrast of the rangefinder patch.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

HPL posted:

Get an XA2. They're much cheaper and all you need is the ability to tell the difference between a human and a mountain.

You also need to be able to tell if that human is far away or just very small. I'll stick with the dim rangefinder.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
I got my test roll back and most of the pictures turned out fine. That means it's probably worth to send this camera off for maintenance and to have the light seals replaced, too.

I even got some okay-to-good pictures and a near miss. All IMHO of course.

I also learned that my shot discipline is loving horrible and that eyeballing exposure even with negative film is hard. I need to work on that and my subjects more. Also less grab shots and more thinking.

Without further ado:

And the near miss:

All shot on 5 years expired KODAK 400 HD (High Definition :haw:) negative film. No post besides slight levels adjustments.
The scans the lab gave me are kind of smallish, one megapixel roughly. Is that all there's in there or can I get more out of my slides?

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 22, 2012

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My brother just found me a Pentax UC-1 at the Salvation Army for $10. Now I don't have to shove my L35AF in my pocket :toot:

Anyone used one of these? The Pentax ESPIO Mini is the same thing, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Where are you all buying your film? The Kodak Gold 5 packs on Amazon are the best deal I've found (I just bought a 5 pack of 400 and a 5 pack of 200 for about $26 total).

• Locked thread