Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Kaidan/Ashely didn't even join my Renegade Hardass McAsshole Shep's squad. I take it from your comment that I could've convinced him/her to be a squadmate again?

Ouch! I played a Paragon Kaidan-loyal femShep (and Paragon cheat-with-Garrus) and haven't had any trouble getting Kaidan to come with me or trust me again. Were you a total dick to them in the Renegade lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Kaidan/Ashely didn't even join my Renegade Hardass McAsshole Shep's squad. I take it from your comment that I could've convinced him/her to be a squadmate again?

Also, I liked the ending.

I didn't mind it; it was technically botched but it did at least achieve it's objective of "lots of speculation".

Did you bust a cap in the Virmire Survivor's rear end during Udina's coup? I thought that was the only way they don't join you. Did they not even come with you to Mars?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

My favourite in-Normandy chats were all the references to Garrus' love of calibrations (at least three). Might have been fanservicey as hell but I chuckled every time.

MadRhetoric posted:

I didn't mind it; it was technically botched but it did at least achieve it's objective of "lots of speculation".

Did you bust a cap in the Virmire Survivor's rear end during Udina's coup? I thought that was the only way they don't join you. Did they not even come with you to Mars?
Asking them to join you is optional. During that dialogue you can instead make them go report to Hackett and they become just another War Asset.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Count Choculitis posted:

Ouch! I played a Paragon Kaidan-loyal femShep (and Paragon cheat-with-Garrus) and haven't had any trouble getting Kaidan to come with me or trust me again. Were you a total dick to them in the Renegade lines?

MadRhetoric posted:

To say that I was a total dick would be an understatement. I stuck to my renegade, Cerberus-loving attitude unless it would've resulted in Shep doing something truly despicable (poor Mordin :(). During Udina's coup I did what we've all wanted to do since day one but didn't harm Kaidan/Ashley. I didn't even know you could do that!

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm going to butt in and ask a question that has probably been asked and answered a thousand times throughout the thread. What happened to the dialogue wheel? Half of the conversations in the game involve you going up to someone, clicking, and you having to sit there while Shep and someone else have a long drawn out conversation. No input from the player whatsoever. I double checked my settings to make sure I didn't have it set to the cinematic mode or whatever, but nope it is set so that I have full control over conversations.

A good example is Traynor. When you talk to her there is no dialogue wheel, whereas whenever you went up and talked to Chambers in ME2 it brought up the dialogue wheel/conversation mode. I miss this. :smith:

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

HoveringCheesecake posted:

I'm going to butt in and ask a question that has probably been asked and answered a thousand times throughout the thread. What happened to the dialogue wheel? Half of the conversations in the game involve you going up to someone, clicking, and you having to sit there while Shep and someone else have a long drawn out conversation. No input from the player whatsoever. I double checked my settings to make sure I didn't have it set to the cinematic mode or whatever, but nope it is set so that I have full control over conversations.

A good example is Traynor. When you talk to her there is no dialogue wheel, whereas whenever you went up and talked to Chambers in ME2 it brought up the dialogue wheel/conversation mode. I miss this. :smith:

Honestly? It was a trade off. You either let the player select more dialogue and have less conversations, like in ME2/ME1, or you have much more conversations and they aren't always Shep centric, but less dialogue wheels.

I understand the complaint, but it's a tradeoff I'll personally take every time, because having the squadmembers actually have something to say after every mission and actually explore the ship and communicate with other squadmembers and characters is just so refreshing to see and made them feel so alive, even if I didn't really get a choice of things for Shepard to say all that often.

I much prefer it to ME2, where even though I had a full dialogue wheel with "investigate", characters only stood statically in their room, in the same spot, waiting on Shepard.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

HoveringCheesecake posted:

In addition to what Aristobulus said:

It's definitely true that the dialogue wheel seems a lot rarer and typically less extensive than in the previous games. However, I don't think you're always really losing out on anything that matters. In Traynor's case, you get the chance of questioning her just as extensively as you did Kelly the first time you meet her - the only difference is that those options aren't redundantly made available again and again whenever you talk to her. If Kelly had anything new to report, she usually did so without Shepard explicitly prompting her; if you were lucky, there'd be one or two things you could then say in reply. Other than that, was there ever really any purpose to letting you rehash the old questions more than once? They've streamlined this in ME3, and though it feels a little odd given prior experience with ME1 and ME2, I don't really begrudge that design decision. There's still opportunities for proper interaction with Traynor, as with all the other characters on the Normandy, it's just that they're tied to certain events/stages in the game.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Count Choculitis posted:

I'll add that bringing Kaidan to the Illusive Man's base was a highlight of the game for me. He finally gets to hear the details of the Lazarus Project and sees how perfectly TIM manipulated Shepard, and apologizes (again) for not trusting you.

My LI was Garrus and it seemed significant to bring him to that one, but I can't remember that he said anything TOO significant. Can anyone input on whether LIs have much impact on that mission or is it really just the virmire survivor who has the most?

EDI is interesting on that mission too, she pretty much invites herself into your party. Considering her nature though I wouldn't be surprised if they just do her dialogue via intercoms- do they?

quote:

I've put all these in the OP - does anyone have others to add?

Trying to remember if Garrus contributed anything significant to the Tuchanka bomb missions, but I think he only provided a bit of turian culture stuff.

Javik was interesting on the rachni mission, he had some stuff to say about that, and you get a funny line from Grunt. Nothing that wasn't made up for in post-mission chat though, I don't think.

I haven't forgotten you Fai :] Just sidetracked a lot. Going to do some art tonight I hope though.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

skoolmunkee posted:

I haven't forgotten you Fai :] Just sidetracked a lot. Going to do some art tonight I hope though.

You're cool, dude. Take your time. Art-ing up an avatar for a dude on the Internet should be a pretty low priority--don't, like, skip any meals or anything to get it done. I can't even buy it until Friday (at the earliest) anyway.

As for your question, I didn't romance anyone in ME1, and in ME2, Jason was my LI, and you can't exactly take him on the mission you referred to. :toot:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Just chiming in on the crew interactions.

My favourite was early in the game, with Garrus and Joker ripping into each other (verbally) in the cockpit.

"Why does the alliance hire pilots with brittle bone disease?"

"So their marines have someone to beat up during practice drills."

Or something to that effect. I was laughing out loud at most of their jokes.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

richardfun posted:

My favourite was early in the game, with Garrus and Joker ripping into each other (verbally) in the cockpit.

Javik's having to come to terms with the "young" races being dominant was pretty moving. The voice actor playing him did an excellent job of conveying his personality. His comment about the "lizard people" was especially funny.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
Javik is one of the best things in the game. They took a huge risk with making him a giant rear end in a top hat in the beginning that some people might elect not to talk to anymore, but he's very smoothly integrated into the game and his character arc completely pays off his early behavior.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I didn't like Javik's voice when it was first revealed, but it really does fit his character perfectly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ambiguatron posted:

Javik is one of the best things in the game. They took a huge risk with making him a giant rear end in a top hat in the beginning that some people might elect not to talk to anymore, but he's very smoothly integrated into the game and his character arc completely pays off his early behavior.

I felt really smart for predicting way in advance of ME3 that the Protheans were actually huge galactic jerks that subjugated other species, which explains why you only hear about them in the last cycle while this generation has so many sapient races.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Javik's having to come to terms with the "young" races being dominant was pretty moving. The voice actor playing him did an excellent job of conveying his personality. His comment about the "lizard people" was especially funny.
His delivery of the line "They used to eat flies.", as well as the stage direction, is just sublime.

Anyway, entirely unrelated to any of this, I'm just wondering: am I the only one here who misses the film grain? I always had it enabled in ME1 and ME2, and ME3 just looks slightly too clean without I think. Why can't we have nice utterly trivial things? :smith:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

richardfun posted:

I really liked that part, I desperately needed some levity after the mission it follows. That was brilliant placement on their part. Except the whole time I was listening I was like, "why couldn't I have thought of these jokes for my book, they are great"

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I tried asking this question earlier in the spoiler thread, but it quickly got lost in the wave of replies, so I'll ask here. Slightly spoilerish, so onto the black bars...

From what I've heard, you always get an all-alien council in ME3, despite potentially going for a human-only council in ME1. Is there any explanation given why the original councilors are still alive(assuming that they have the same voice actors and models), or is it never brought up? From what I remember seeing, it is sorta implied in ME2 that there is a human-only council, if you went with the renegade ending.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
My favorite part of that was:

Joker: What’s the hardest part about treating the turian who took a rocket to one side of his face?
Garrus: Figuring out which side took the rocket.

Oh Garrus, don't ever change. :allears:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I was a bit shocked about the depiction of the protheans' physiology--Javik looks nothing like the statues you find on Ilos nor the image in the codex:

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
WRT to the Virmire survivor re-joining, you must visit them in the hospital at least once while they're awake, I believe. If you were saving that trip to the citadel for after the Genophage quest chain gets completed, you get screwed over by the unexpected Cerberus attack.

EDIT:
Speaking of who's fun to bring on missions, Ash does quite a few ME1 call backs if you bring her to the Geth Dreadnought.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 20, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I was a bit shocked about the depiction of the protheans' physiology--Javik looks nothing like the statues you find on Ilos nor the image in the codex:

Javik explains that those statues were there before his people. They were from a race several cycles before the Protheans were around.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Javik explains that those statues were there before his people. They were from a race several cycles before the Protheans were around.

Whoops, must've missed that. I should probably turn on subtitles. I can't hear for poo poo in my old age.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Whoops, must've missed that. I should probably turn on subtitles. I can't hear for poo poo in my old age.

It's something a lot of people seem to have missed. I think it comes up after the DLC mission if you talk to Javik, but I don't remember for certain.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

rvdleun posted:

I tried asking this question earlier in the spoiler thread, but it quickly got lost in the wave of replies, so I'll ask here. Slightly spoilerish, so onto the black bars...

From what I've heard, you always get an all-alien council in ME3, despite potentially going for a human-only council in ME1. Is there any explanation given why the original councilors are still alive(assuming that they have the same voice actors and models), or is it never brought up? From what I remember seeing, it is sorta implied in ME2 that there is a human-only council, if you went with the renegade ending.

ME1 never had human only council as choice, just human dominant if you do not save the council. It is different council members if you did not save them in ME1

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I really enjoy the actor that does Javik's voice and think it's a decent generic African or Afro-Caribbean accent. It doesn't bother me at all in the way some people initially reacted to it.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

tadashi posted:

I really enjoy the actor that does Javik's voice and think it's a decent generic African or Afro-Caribbean accent. It doesn't bother me at all in the way some people initially reacted to it.

His accent is amazing and I really appreciated it. Of course, it helps that I just personally think that accent is one of the best accents to have. :v:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's easy to miss that comment, or its significance, but I thought that was a clever explanation for the apparent discrepancy.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Javik's arc was undeniably cool, he had two moments that were very moving (meeting people on the Citadel and helping Liara with her grief), but I have to say his initial shtick was also quite awesome in its way:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

My favourite in-Normandy chats were all the references to Garrus' love of calibrations (at least three). Might have been fanservicey as hell but I chuckled every time.

Asking them to join you is optional. During that dialogue you can instead make them go report to Hackett and they become just another War Asset.
This is what did, telling Ashleyt to gently caress off to Hacket was pretty satisfying, get off my ship you useless cow.

Ambiguatron posted:

Javik is one of the best things in the game. They took a huge risk with making him a giant rear end in a top hat in the beginning that people might elect not to talk to anymore, but he's very smoothly integrated into the game and his character arc completely pays off his early behavior.
He's my favourite of the new characters, his VA is just perfect.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

funakupo posted:

ME1 never had human only council as choice, just human dominant if you do not save the council. It is different council members if you did not save them in ME1

No, if you don't save the Council then elect Udina, there's an all-human council you can meet briefly in ME2.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Javik owns but his chin looks weird. Like a pair of balls.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Aristobulus posted:

I much prefer it to ME2, where even though I had a full dialogue wheel with "investigate", characters only stood statically in their room, in the same spot, waiting on Shepard.

The thing that annoys me is how squad members like to start talking right as I'm about to do something important like walk into a cut-scene or interact with something which cancels their dialogue. I missed a lot on Thessia between Javik and Liara thanks to this.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

He's my favourite of the new characters
Well jeez, tough competition there :mmmhmm:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

Well jeez, tough competition there :mmmhmm:
I don't know, I'd have a tough time choosing between him and Major Coats!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Christ, Aria is probably the character I hate the most in this game. She's :smug: incarnate.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

I don't know, I'd have a tough time choosing between him and Major Coats!

Hey, Vega is awesome too, and I am legitimately sad he's not a love interest.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Internet Kraken posted:

Christ, Aria is probably the character I hate the most in this game. She's :smug: incarnate.
Aria is awesome and i will be really disappointed if she wont be a squad member for the Omega DLC.

So i'll be disappointed by Bioware again. :negative:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Count Choculitis posted:

Wasn't he supposed to be The Gay Option, or did that all get shifted over to Cortez?

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Count Choculitis posted:

I'm not. The game needs to have dedicated friend characters that you can't romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Count Choculitis posted:

Hey, Vega is awesome too
I know, I'm only taking the piss out of Coats.

• Locked thread