Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Saveron_01 posted:

"Hope you do not mind, but I am building my portfolio of design pieces and one of my assignments is to reconstruct the look of a business in the area and would like to get your impression of this "reimagining" of your look."

Worst situation, they hate it or don't respond at all. Best, they like it so much that they want to buy it from you.

Worst situation, they steal your design and have someone else do it for less money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

neonnoodle posted:

Worst situation, they steal your design and have someone else do it for less money.

Yeah that's what I'm mostly worried about.

I think I'm going to email them and tell them that I'm trying to expand my portfolio and ask if they'd like to see a redesign of their wine labels and website.

I'll probably offer a pretty low rate since I don't really need the money at this point since i have a fairly cushy contract job, I just need more professional portfolio pieces for real clients to give me a better chance of landing other clients later when I do need some cash.

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.
Hey, quick question:

I've been emailing my last boss about getting hard copies of some of the work I did for him, and he mentioned that he still wanted to write me a reference letter.

How does that even work?

Well, not letters (ink goes on paper in the shape of words, har har), but how do you present such a thing? The Snake oil copywriters have nothing but shining references from professional-looking stock photos saying that hiring them saved the world and cured cancer, but I'm not sure where a proper, professional letter of recommendation would fit into the whole deal. Does a copy go right into your portfolio? Do you just make a "people telling me I'm awesome" tab on your website and transcribe it there?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Pantothenate posted:

Hey, quick question:

I've been emailing my last boss about getting hard copies of some of the work I did for him, and he mentioned that he still wanted to write me a reference letter.

How does that even work?

Well, not letters (ink goes on paper in the shape of words, har har), but how do you present such a thing? The Snake oil copywriters have nothing but shining references from professional-looking stock photos saying that hiring them saved the world and cured cancer, but I'm not sure where a proper, professional letter of recommendation would fit into the whole deal. Does a copy go right into your portfolio? Do you just make a "people telling me I'm awesome" tab on your website and transcribe it there?

Personally, I've mostly seen "References available upon request" lines in cover letters and such and that's where it ends. I guess you could present them however you think is appropriate.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Pantothenate posted:

Hey, quick question:

How does that even work?

Recommendation letters work best when they are written for a specific job you're applying for. I generally don't ask for them unless the interview requires one or I REALLY want a particular job. Just present it with your resume when you go in for an interview. Try not to point it out as much and just attach it with your resume. I would highly advise not to post recommendation letters on your website as it'll be seen as quite arrogant. Your work should speak for itself on your website.

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

Hey all, this may be a bit too debatable of a topic but I'm going to start applying to design jobs and am redoing my website as my old one is somewhat unfinished and quite bland. Is a picture of yourself, done rather artistically/"clean/slick" (heh, buzzwords), too tacky or is it acceptable if the mood or design style of the website allows it?

I understand this is a broad as poo poo question

Elephantgun fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 16, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Posting on the behalf of a goon friend who doesn't know what to do:

quote:

I was wondering if anyone wanted to help me out with this issue I'm having. Theres a website in Europe that is taking articles I wrote, and photos I took, and posting it for their benefit. The guy posting it is profitting by making his website look active, getting free hardware and software (games mostly) to review, aswell as putting the whole website on his portfolio. I have all the original photos on my camera (not to mention the hardware in the photos) so I guess I do have proof that it isn't this work. Is there anything I can do about this? :(

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

SeanBeansShako posted:

Posting on the behalf of a goon friend who doesn't know what to do:

First, send the guy an e-mail saying, I know what you're doing, please stop now or else I will take further action.

If he doesn't respond, try to see if you can contact the companies which have sent him stuff to review and say he's a fraud.

Then I'd suggest letting the folks at Consumerist.com know that the reviews on that site are stolen.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I have an interview coming up where I need to bring a physical portfolio (due to security reasons I can't bring my portfolio on my iPad... which is the sole reason I got an iPad in the first place so I could cut printing costs and do more last-minute edits :sigh:)

My problem: I'm being interviewed for an interior design position. My degree is in industrial design. How do I skew my industrial design portfolio to be more interior design-y? Should I just emphasize material/color choices I made or what? They've already looked at my current portfolio and still decided to interview me, but I want to give myself as much of an advantage as possible.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yay on changing requirements, new posting forthcoming

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 30, 2012

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Vaporware posted:

:words:

Good luck finding your magical unicorn.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah, I know. My group keeps loving up and giving clients stuff they like. Now we're swamped, and manpower is hard to scale in tech writing.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have an interview coming up where I need to bring a physical portfolio (due to security reasons I can't bring my portfolio on my iPad... which is the sole reason I got an iPad in the first place so I could cut printing costs and do more last-minute edits :sigh:)

My problem: I'm being interviewed for an interior design position. My degree is in industrial design. How do I skew my industrial design portfolio to be more interior design-y? Should I just emphasize material/color choices I made or what? They've already looked at my current portfolio and still decided to interview me, but I want to give myself as much of an advantage as possible.
Yo, I'm an industrial designer that has worked in interior design! (It was an internship, but still). A great thing about industrial design is that the education, critical thinking, and skills are pretty easily transferable to other areas of design (I'm currently doing web and graphic design). One of the designers at the firm I interned at was educated in industrial design, and he was doing just fine.

I would emphasize pieces that show you can think about things in terms of environment, how your thing fits into its environment, etc. In essence, interior design is designing entire environments. Knowing stuff about materials (especially wood, stone, textiles) is a plus, so is color. Also, you'll be dealing with industrial design items like furniture, fixtures, etc, so in this aspect your background will be helpful. At one point in my job, I was set to designing a lamp shade because the one the client wanted couldn't be ordered in the thousands (the firm did hotels), so I made up something similar to be produced at a factory the firm had hookups with.

Oh, also demonstrate your rendering skills, traditional especially. I got to do a rendering for a restaurant interior and it was awesome. Going into work everyday to dick around with watercolors was pretty nice. My firm produced most renderings traditionally because clients always responded better to them than CAD renderings.

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

My girlfriend is currently pursuing a graduate degree in Exhibition Design on the east coast and the plan is for her to move to Michigan when she graduates in a year. Does anyone know of any leads on exhibition design firms or companies that hire this kind of position? She wants to either work on museum exhibitions or trade show exhibitions.
Any help in pointing us in the right direction would be great!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Authentic You posted:

ID/Interior stuff

Good to know, I have one project in my portfolio where I designed a snazzy toaster and have tons of shots of it in different environments and I also have a bathroom sink fixture project to show in addition to some lighting stuff. I don't think I have time to tweak my portfolio between now and the interview (senior thesis is due in less than a week then interview is the week after :suicide:) so I think I'm just gonna leave it as is especially since they've already seen it.

Irish Thunder posted:

My girlfriend is currently pursuing a graduate degree in Exhibition Design on the east coast and the plan is for her to move to Michigan when she graduates in a year. Does anyone know of any leads on exhibition design firms or companies that hire this kind of position? She wants to either work on museum exhibitions or trade show exhibitions.
Any help in pointing us in the right direction would be great!

There are exhibit design jobs posted all the time on Coroflot's job board so if she hasn't already been checking that out she should go do that.

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

There are exhibit design jobs posted all the time on Coroflot's job board so if she hasn't already been checking that out she should go do that.
[/quote]Oh nice, I hadn't heard of that one. Thank you!

SleeplessInEngland
May 30, 2011
How terrible is it if you happen to have had to take quite a few sick days off at a job? How much does it affect your employability for future jobs? It's not like I'm taking masses of days off, I've taken 6 and a half since I started 7 months ago but I feel like that's way too much (It is) and now I'm having to take another day off today.

I feel like I wouldn't have to take so many days sick if they didn't work me to the bone so then when I'm actually ill with something that isn't stress or exhaustion related (Like today) it adds up and all I can help thinking is that it's another day off I'm going to have to explain to future employers without sounding like I'm blaming this on my previous employers.

How much do future employers care about this in relation to other things? I'm otherwise an incredibly diligent person - I put in masses of overtime (Was at the office until past midnight last week to meet a ridiculously short deadline), I put in really good work and, from what my boss and colleagues have said to me, I'm good to work with and they really like having me here. I'm just anxious about how this sort of thing will impact my future.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SleeplessInEngland posted:

How terrible is it if you happen to have had to take quite a few sick days off at a job? How much does it affect your employability for future jobs? It's not like I'm taking masses of days off, I've taken 6 and a half since I started 7 months ago but I feel like that's way too much (It is) and now I'm having to take another day off today.

I feel like I wouldn't have to take so many days sick if they didn't work me to the bone so then when I'm actually ill with something that isn't stress or exhaustion related (Like today) it adds up and all I can help thinking is that it's another day off I'm going to have to explain to future employers without sounding like I'm blaming this on my previous employers.

How much do future employers care about this in relation to other things? I'm otherwise an incredibly diligent person - I put in masses of overtime (Was at the office until past midnight last week to meet a ridiculously short deadline), I put in really good work and, from what my boss and colleagues have said to me, I'm good to work with and they really like having me here. I'm just anxious about how this sort of thing will impact my future.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you workinginamerica.txt. We can only pray that no euro-goons find it.

To answer your question they won't care because they probably won't find out. Even if they canned you for being too sick, which they legally can't, they aren't about to admit it to another company. So you're probably fine.

Besides, even if they did find out I'm pretty sure that they'll understand "I was seriously ill" as a reason for some off time.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
No one asks you in an interview how many days you took off.

Also, ask for a raise or another co-worker cause drat.

SleeplessInEngland
May 30, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you workinginamerica.txt. We can only pray that no euro-goons find it.

To answer your question they won't care because they probably won't find out. Even if they canned you for being too sick, which they legally can't, they aren't about to admit it to another company. So you're probably fine.

Besides, even if they did find out I'm pretty sure that they'll understand "I was seriously ill" as a reason for some off time.

Too late! I'm a UK Goon, this kind of mentality has already arrived at our shores too.

Thanks for the reassurance, though. I've never had another job so I'm not entirely sure what protocol is for future job interviews because when I got this one I didn't have any past employers for them to contact. It makes me feel better knowing people probably won't ask or that 'I was seriously ill' is a valid reason to have taken time off. Taking this many sick days is basically vilified where I work (everyone I work with is crazy).

cheese eats mouse posted:

No one asks you in an interview how many days you took off.

Also, ask for a raise or another co-worker cause drat.

Asked for both! I went from £4/h to £6/h (Woo minimum wage!) and even then, they tried to stiff me for 'young adult minimum wage' which was a grand total of 85p more than I was earning already.

They refuse to hire more than one graphic designer because 'We don't produce enough work for 1 graphic designer, let alone 2!' :downs: Thankfully I have handed my notice in so I will no longer have to work in these conditions after July. I feel for whatever poor graduate they get in to take my place.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Speaking of employers, I like my job, but wish I had more work. I'm only 2 months in and already looking for places that will have more responsibility for me. Yes I have tried getting more from my boss by telling him I'm free or willing to make a new project to actually give myself something to do.

I'm torn though because my boss is great and so are my co-workers, it's easy to get time off and I work less than the average American, but I'm just so bored and not honing my design skills.

I mean I guess it doesn't hurt to interview to see what other places are like? I do feel bad complaining because there are a lot of creatives out of work who would kill for a job.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 24, 2012

SleeplessInEngland
May 30, 2011

Speaking of employers, I like my job, but wish I had more work. I'm only 2 months in and already looking for places that will have more responsibility for me. Yes I have tried getting more from my boss by telling him I'm free or willing to make a new project to actually give myself something to do.

I'm torn though because my boss is great and so are my co-workers, it's easy to get time off and I work less than the average American, but I'm just so bored and not honing my design skills.

I mean I guess it doesn't hurt to interview to see what other places are like? I do feel bad complaining because there are a lot of creatives out of work who would kill for a job.

Could you maybe try taking on a few freelance jobs? Then you could do them in your spare time or when you're short on work but you wouldn't have to leave your current job.

There's certainly no harm in seeing what else is out there but be aware that if you're only 2 months in, they might just be in a seasonal lull and will have more work for you soon.

SleeplessInEngland fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 24, 2012

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

SleeplessInEngland posted:

Could you maybe try taking on a few freelance jobs? Then you could do them in your spare time or when you're short on work but you wouldn't have to leave your current job.

There's certainly no harm in seeing what else is out there but be aware that if you're only 2 months in, they might just be in a seasonal lull and will have more work for you soon.

I do have a freelance job I do in my spare time, that's the funny part. Freelancing can also a lot of after hours I hate doing because my nights are packed enough. I'm not very big on taking company time for my side projects as I think it looks bad to the people I freelance for as well. The design community here is very small so I try to avoid looking like a bad employee.

I'm hoping it's a seasonal lull as summer is our busy season.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm not very big on taking company time for my side projects as I think it looks bad to the people I freelance for as well. The design community here is very small so I try to avoid looking like a bad employee.
Yeah, that's one that could stick with you, it's best to "airgap" your work as much as possible, like don't even check the email account you do freelance business with on company equipment.

SleeplessInEngland
May 30, 2011

I do have a freelance job I do in my spare time, that's the funny part. Freelancing can also a lot of after hours I hate doing because my nights are packed enough. I'm not very big on taking company time for my side projects as I think it looks bad to the people I freelance for as well. The design community here is very small so I try to avoid looking like a bad employee.

I'm hoping it's a seasonal lull as summer is our busy season.

Sorry, I think it came across like I was suggesting doing freelance while you're at work which obviously is not a good idea! I assumed you were working at your current job on a when needed basis (What do they say about assuming?)

In that case, yeah, freelancing probably won't solve the problem. It's quite possibly the calm before the storm then, if your busy season is approaching. It works that way for me too, so I can sympathise because it can get pretty boring when you're trying to scrape work together for 3 months.

Personally I'd say wait 6 months and see if it picks up. If it doesn't, start looking for something else and see what happens. At the end of the day, there's no point staying at a job where you aren't reaching your full potential.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Can you get a subscription to lynda.com or start learning 3D or something? Training which improves your skills, yet doesn't spend company time on personal projects? Take some online courses?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Vaporware posted:

Can you get a subscription to lynda.com or start learning 3D or something? Training which improves your skills, yet doesn't spend company time on personal projects? Take some online courses?

This. It's amazingly helpful.

TigerRose
Mar 17, 2009
Fallen Rib
What's the best way to find agency (graphic design) work? I've been trawling linkedin and coroflot, but most of the jobs on my level (new-ish grad, super entry level) all seem to be mostly corporate stuff. While I wouldn't mind that either and actually have some similar experience already, I think it'd be neat to work for a studio or agency.
Is my best approach going to be just finding some, doing my research and emailing them, even if they don't have any openings listed? What are my chances of getting interest from an agency in an area I'm not currently located in? Should I mention that I'm willing to work for an internship or a full position, or just pick one?

Basically I'm driving myself nuts thinking that all these awesome pro designers will think I'm a weirdo if I start sending unsolicited emails. I need to update my portfolio with some new images, but I think I'll post it here when I'm done for some critique - I need some impartial opinions on how actually terrible I might be :shobon:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Vaporware posted:

Yea I think I'll just learn PHP and some back-end stuff to Web and work on making "those fancy Web 2.0 sites".

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

So I had a job interview last week for a CAD Sculptor position. I specifically asked them if it was ok if I didn't know Alias but had a pretty good handle on Rhino. Lady on the phone says that's not a problem and they'd train me in Alias. I get an email the other day, "while you meet our qualifications, we will not be pursuing you further because you are not proficient at Alias" and then they attached a tutorial that basically said "learn this and reapply if you want".

What. Are they just trying to get out of spending money to train me? I mean, I guess if I don't get the job I'm interviewing for next week I'll sit down and learn me some Alias (and download it ASAP in the next two weeks before I graduate so I can get it fo' free), are there any good tutorials out there so I can teach myself and reapply to that job?

Worst that can happen is that I have a new skill to put on my resume I guess.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

I have two questions:
So I'll be graduating after this Fall with an Associate's of Arts before transferring to a university to finish up a 4-year degree (Art and Design specializing in Illustration).
My last semester will consist entirely of elective classes of my choosing, and I have the option of doing classes that will specifically title me to "in the emphasis of Art".
After graduating, I won't be able to take university classes until Fall 2013, so I'll be looking for a job to tide me over. I realize an Associate's of Arts degree is of questionable value, but I'm only looking for something that'll sustain me until I finish up school in a year or so and possibly look good on a resume.

So my first question: will an "emphasis of Art" degree worth having in the short run? Is there really any advantage to it over a regular Associate's?

As of right now, I've been all over the map, dipping into every art medium offered: from print-making to film photography, not being able to cover much more than introductory material.
I could use my last classes sharpening my more marketable skills, i.e. graphic design and painting, or taking classes for university credit if it's offered.

Secondly, with an Associate's in my hand, what should I aim for?
I live in Dallas, TX, and while the job market is mostly in the shitter, there is a burgeoning art and design scene here.
I have uneducated artist friends who are relatively successful making a living hustling art on the local gallery circuits (about 20k annually), so I don't know if I should focus my energy into that.

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

Hey fellas.
I need some advice here, I have no degree and I work at Trader Joe's which is cool for now. I make artwork in photoshop and sell it on the side which has been surprisingly successful, I make a couple extra hundred a month from it which isn't bad for a beginning artist. I've done several gallery showings and solo showings and been published and other good things. It's all fine and dandy but it's not a job, and I don't want to put all my eggs in that basket as a career. My question is, what might be a smart path to take for someone with 15+ years of photoshop experience? I feel like I can do just about anything with the program, I worked briefly with a photographer doing touch-up work and I was really good at it, but it was terrible pay. I have a little bit of graphic design/web design know-how but it's pretty basic but not something I'm ruling out as a path.. I'm willing to learn other things but it'd be awesome if I could find something that focused on my photoshop knowledge. Here's my website to reference my work if it helps at all http://perfect-tree.net

Thanks for any input!

viragosa
Sep 10, 2006

my brain thinks bomb-like
Hello! Are you in Boston? Are you a graphic designer who can design for both print and screen? Please email me at edecker at sapient dot com — we're on the hunt!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

viragosa posted:

Hello! Are you in Boston? Are you a graphic designer who can design for both print and screen? Please email me at edecker at sapient dot com — we're on the hunt!

I have a friend who's looking for design work in the Boston area, I'll ask her if she's interested and send her your way if she is. Do you have a link to a portfolio of work your company has done? Googling "sapient boston" gets a bunch of different hits. Thanks!

viragosa
Sep 10, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have a friend who's looking for design work in the Boston area, I'll ask her if she's interested and send her your way if she is. Do you have a link to a portfolio of work your company has done? Googling "sapient boston" gets a bunch of different hits. Thanks!

Our stuff / reel is primarily here. We're an international company, though, so lots of different locations put together our reel. Boston is the HQ — not sure if it lists which office did which, but in Boston we get a lot of good work.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

viragosa posted:

Our stuff / reel is primarily here. We're an international company, though, so lots of different locations put together our reel. Boston is the HQ — not sure if it lists which office did which, but in Boston we get a lot of good work.

Cool thanks. I sent it to her along with your email address so you may hear from her if she decides she's interested.

viragosa
Sep 10, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Cool thanks. I sent it to her along with your email address so you may hear from her if she decides she's interested.

Thanks bud. Do you have a link to her portfolio so I can see her work, before she decides?

We're looking for all levels — junior, assc., senior, both designers and art directors (and some front-end devs, too). We're also going to have another recruiting party in July, and we have a portfolio review for recent grads coming up in a few weeks. Again, email me (edecker at sapient.com) your portfolio link if you're interested and really good at design.

That's all folks, sorry for cloggin' up the thread.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Does anybody have any experience with CalArts grad programs?

Kind of a shot in the dark but I'd love to hear more about it. I couldn't afford to go there for a four year degree, so I'm getting my bachelor's in graphic design at a state school, but I've always planned on going to grad school (I just really love being in school, honestly). CalArts costs a bajillion dollars though. Their most appealing program to me is Character Animation, but that's only a bachelor's and I'd really like to get my master's in something. The Experimental Animation program has a master's... but honestly I'd rather be taking the Character Animation classes.

And on top of that I noticed they've posted on their website that one of their master's programs for graphic design is a specialty in motion graphics, which I'm also very very interested in pursuing.

Anyone know anything about this?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CalArts is firmly in the "art school that people know isn't a lovely diploma mill" category but they're really known for automotive and industrial design over everything else. If you want to be doing animation or motion graphics are you at least pursuing that in your spare time? You'll probably get a good amount of learning out of a graphic design degree but maybe try to double-major or minor in film too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, essentially I'm a graphic design major at the moment but I'm 'specializing' in motion graphics; some graphic design programs have legitimate specialties but ours doesn't, so really I'm just doing everything I can to incorporate motion into my normal projects and learn as much as I can about it while I'm an undergrad. I'm located in the midwest but I'm actually interning in LA this summer (with a motion designer) and plan on checking the school out while I'm there. I graduate next year and plan on working for a few years before I go to grad school but mostly I'm interested in polishing my skills with some more targeted academic guidance rather than just doing it all on my own.