Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I'm shooting our state high school basketball tournament for some out-of-town newspapers who couldn't send staffers. Yesterday I shot three games, today I've got four, and tomorrow I'll have three more. My back's already killing me, but goddamn does this beat the poo poo out of shooting weddings. :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
A bunch of 'almosts'! :(

I'm very new and have been going around to different venues at different times and learning as I go. Today a skate park nearby me reopened and had a pretty good sized event for a city rec park. Fighting crowds, super bright phoenix days, and fast moving people I found to be a bit out of my league as of yet, but I'd like to think I was getting close.

Full set of what I took that wasn't totally unusable:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9748339@N05/sets/72157629192587688/

And a couple to case in point:

DSC_1482 by dkwildz, on Flickr

DSC_1505 by dkwildz, on Flickr

DSC_1428 by dkwildz, on Flickr

Another learning experience to chalk up, and it was a lot of fun. Got a free monster and a Chipotle burrito too :)

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Like I mentioned, last week I covered our state high school basketball tournament. I ended up shooting nine games for five publications in three days, and spent the fourth day nursing my poor back.

Here are a few:

And if you feel so inclined you can see some more at my blog: http://www.ryanmkelly.com/blog/2012/3/12/72-hours-of-march-madness.html

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Who forgot to tell ribkid to wear yellow?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

FasterThanLight posted:

Who forgot to tell ribkid to wear yellow?

Haha I know, he killed me. But he was right up front and one of the most animated fans so I couldn't ignore him. I kind of like him in the corner of the first photo both looking and acting completely differently from the rest of the crowd, makes me laugh.

Some baseball from yesterday. So happy to be back outside.

That poor kid crashed hard and pretty awkwardly into the wall on that catch, leading with his wrist, then following with his head. Ouch.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 14, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That old wooden fence is such an awesome loving backdrop.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

That old wooden fence is such an awesome loving backdrop.

I knooooooow I absolutely love it, I want to spend more time shooting from the outfield waiting for chances to use it.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
This is a little old, but I found it online after seeing it in SI. I thought it was fantastic. It's not an action photo, but it's an astoundingly good piece of journalism.

Members of the media are reflected in Ryan Braun's sunglasses.

dakana fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 14, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

This is a little old, but I found it online after seeing it in SI. I thought it was fantastic. It's not an action photo, but it's an astoundingly good piece of journalism.

Members of the media are reflected in Ryan Braun's sunglasses.

drat that is cool as hell.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

BobTheCow posted:

He looks like he just got shot.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Shot some more boxing tonight. This time at a friends pro debut.

IMG_1426.jpg by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

That was shot with my nifty fifty. And unfortunately that's the last good shot I got from my friends fight. Then a local fighter who I've met a few times was up a few fights later and I decided to give it a go with the kit lens.

IMG_1654.jpg by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

Got this and....

IMG_1589.jpg by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

Which I think is pretty awesome though I'm sure you guys will have plenty of tips for. I was up on the apron and one of the other photographers asked me if I was a reporter and I just shot back yeah and named a local paper. That's the only hassle I had so I think getting on the apron is not going to be a problem for me from here on out. The night left me lustful for a 24-70 or maybe even a 16-35. Again any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

KidDynamite posted:

That's definitely your best one. It's tight on the action, good moment, clean backgrounds. The other two are still loads better than last time, but they've got a lot of extraneous poo poo in the frame that the first one doesn't.

Here's a hodge-podge from the past few days:

^ The runner was called out on that play, I call shenanigans!

e: re-cropped/toned the last one.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 18, 2012

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
The Rock n Roll Marathon in DC passed through my neighborhood. It was also a good chance to try my new 35mm f/1.8.

Rock n Roll Marathon 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KidDynamite, those are a thousand times better. Your position alone is a huge help. You could crop those a bit tighter, but they're really good compared to your earlier ones.

It wouldn't be very flexible, but I think an 85mm prime could be really good for boxing.

E: Bob, how do you like shooting lacrosse? :)

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

E: Bob, how do you like shooting lacrosse? :)

It's one of those sports that I'm not too familiar with, so it's tough for me to anticipate action. I'm hoping to shoot a few more in the next few weeks and improve my take, but we'll see. Mostly I'm just happy to be outdoors shooting in nice weather (and light) again. :)

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

KidDynamite posted:

Very nice! Tight, action packed and good lightning. I don't like boxing, but I do like that picture.

I'm back in the football (soccer) game and in only one week the domestic league (Tippeligaen) starts up. This season I will be shooting Vålerenga Fotball (the same team that I've been shooting at hockey games) and Skeid Fotball. Vålerenga is in the top flight, while Skeid is in the third tier.

A few shots from the last friendly before it all kicks off next weekend:

Vålerenga IF - Fredrikstad FK by azathosk, on Flickr

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Well, Toledo's women's basketball team is back in the WNIT. They advanced to the Sweet 16 last night. I won't be able to shoot their next game against VCU on Thursday, but hopefully they win that one so I can shoot the next. This brings UT up to 9 consecutive postseason wins after winning the WNIT last year.

This game was a blowout from the beginning. UT held Cincinnati to just 11 points in the first half, while scoring 37. They ended at 72-51.

And looking at these now I realize I forgot to run noise reduction on the lot of them. Oh well.

Also, something cool: the university photographer showed me his new toy. He bought a wireless SD card, and is able to lock a photo on his camera, then it pops up on his iPhone app. From there, he can quickly crop and edit and upload to Facebook or send in email to the website guys. He can do all this in the time it takes for a foul shot or timeout. It was pretty wild. And he's able to say "I'm not chimping -- I'm editing!"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

It's like coach Collop has the world's biggest speech bubble :v:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

dakana posted:

Well, Toledo's women's basketball team is back in the WNIT. They advanced to the Sweet 16 last night. I won't be able to shoot their next game against VCU on Thursday, but hopefully they win that one so I can shoot the next. This brings UT up to 9 consecutive postseason wins after winning the WNIT last year.

drat, I was hoping that game would be in Richmond so I could try and snag some work from you, but it looks like VCU's headed to Toledo. Go Rams! :)

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

I went to watch some motor-racing yesterday, there were a great mix of cars in various races, but this was my favourite (and the fastest) car:

Opel Astra DTM by Bonnett, on Flickr

The best moment was when this Citroen 2CV went for a spin right infront of me:

ECAS 2CV Parts.com Championship by Bonnett, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Finally - back on the football-stage. First match of the season, Vålerenga (blue shirts) vs FK Haugesund (black shirts):

Vålerenga - Haugesund by azathosk, on Flickr

azathosk fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 26, 2012

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Laying into a punch bag

Boxing 008 by HezzyUK, on Flickr

Two of my friends sparring

Boxing 083 by HezzyUK, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Those aren't bad but they look dark. W/B off either those corner pads or maybe someone's trunks. Center metering would help as well.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
My last hockey shoot for the season. My team (Vålerenga) got knocked out of the playoffs.

Vålerenga (blue) - Lørenskog (white) 1-2

Vålerenga Hockey - Lørenskog by azathosk, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I just got my first sports article published - from that very same hockey match:
http://dittoslo.no/indre-by/sport-indre-by/valerenga-tapte-skjebnekampen-1.7160835

Yes, I am a bit proud. Even though it's just the local newspaper. :D

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

I just got my first sports article published - from that very same hockey match:
http://dittoslo.no/indre-by/sport-indre-by/valerenga-tapte-skjebnekampen-1.7160835

Yes, I am a bit proud. Even though it's just the local newspaper. :D

That's awesome dude, congrats :toot:

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Hey, the local paper of the capital isn't bad exposure at all, well done! How did you go about it, did you approach the paper with a story or was it the other way around?

I shot some jocks last weekend, and was able to borrow a 7D and a 70-300L from work for the occasion. It was like a religious experience after shooting sports almost exclusively with a 400D/55-250mm combo. Somehow I accidentally switched it into P mode during the game and ended up with almost an entire quarter shot with less than ideal shutter speeds, ruining some potentially good shots :(

IMG_1345 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_1791 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_1814 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_1834 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_1901 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_1933 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_1594 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

I'm not too sure about the processing on this one. I was aiming to bring out the light of the setting sun, but it always ends up looking too red on my screen no matter what I do. The colours look good on an iMac screen, however.

IMG_9928 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Norrskensren posted:

Hey, the local paper of the capital isn't bad exposure at all, well done! How did you go about it, did you approach the paper with a story or was it the other way around?

A guy on Twitter told me they were in need of freelance (sports)journalists who also knew how to use a camera. I applied and they would like to test me before signing any papers (which I can understand). I was supposed to take pictures from the match anyhow, so I said I could do a write-up as well. Guess they liked it. :)

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Any Euros, Saffas, Kiwis or Aussies ever shoot rugby? I got a 70-200mm f2.8 today, and I'm hoping on a crop body Nikon it'll be good enough for daylight shots. What will my reach be like on that? I'm guessing I'd probably need a 300mm to properly shoot from behind the dead-ball line, or I could shoot from there and get anything inside the 22 roughly in front of me.

I'm a rugby fan, so I'm familiar with the kind of shots pro togs go for, and I figure that might help me a little (also any advice you may offer can be put in rugby terms.) Any advice before I start approaching clubs to let me shoot their games?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Buceph posted:

Any Euros, Saffas, Kiwis or Aussies ever shoot rugby? I got a 70-200mm f2.8 today, and I'm hoping on a crop body Nikon it'll be good enough for daylight shots. What will my reach be like on that? I'm guessing I'd probably need a 300mm to properly shoot from behind the dead-ball line, or I could shoot from there and get anything inside the 22 roughly in front of me.

I'm a rugby fan, so I'm familiar with the kind of shots pro togs go for, and I figure that might help me a little (also any advice you may offer can be put in rugby terms.) Any advice before I start approaching clubs to let me shoot their games?

I've shot rugby but I'm American so I guess I can't contribute. :colbert:

No but really my recommendation would be first to build a portfolio, then try to find clients. Start by just shooting local games or rec leagues or whatever you can get yourself on the sidelines for and go from there. All anybody cares about is your previous work, so you need to have something to show to teams.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

BobTheCow posted:

I've shot rugby but I'm American so I guess I can't contribute. :colbert:

No but really my recommendation would be first to build a portfolio, then try to find clients. Start by just shooting local games or rec leagues or whatever you can get yourself on the sidelines for and go from there. All anybody cares about is your previous work, so you need to have something to show to teams.

When I said, "Approach clubs" I didn't mean in an attempt to hire me. I meant that I'd say, "I'm an amateur photographer. Is the senior team playing this weekend? And do you mind if I stand on the sideline and take some photographs for my own practice." I wouldn't even go near the papers, or pro or semi-pro teams, and I wouldn't tout myself as a pro who can get souvenir shots for an amateur team either. I probably could walk up to the low-level sides playing and start shooting and no-one would mind. But seeing as it's their land and their people I'd ask first as I just think it's the right thing to do.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Buceph posted:

I'm a Kiwi who has shot quite a bit of rugby. Very jealous of you having a 70-200mm f2.8, when I was shooting I had to make do with a puny 55-250mm!

200mm on the dead ball line should be pretty good, often you'll find you need to zoom out when they get close for a try obviously. I also found that shooting down the field (as you will be when shooting from the dead-ball line), since there's 31 people on the field it will be quite difficult to isolate the players you want in your shots, as others will run in front of them etc.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Another Vålerenga-match.

Strømsgodset (blue) - Vålerenga (white)

Strømsgodset - Vålerenga by azathosk, on Flickr

The last one is heavily cropped. I used this match to practice on changing focus points while looking into the viewfinder to try to compose the picture better (without the need of cropping). A useful experience. I also tried to measure ISO with only the in-camera meter (while trying out the different way of measure light). I can't really seem to find what's most useful. Put the camera in Tv-mode and let the automatics do the rest or do it like I do it now - manual with autoiso.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
My first real attempt at shooting a sporting event, Cal State San Bernardino vs. Chico. Shooting baseball is a lot harder than it looks. Everything is so far away and everybody moves so drat fast :P

Coyotes, April 7th, 2012-122.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Coyotes, April 7th, 2012-364.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Coyotes, April 7th, 2012-1115.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

There's more in the album. I'm relatively happy with the way they turned out, considering it was my first time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

n0n0 posted:

There's more in the album. I'm relatively happy with the way they turned out, considering it was my first time.

You've got good action, but this one is really cool. Guy's expression is a bit nuts but I like it.

Untitled by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

God drat I am so happy to be shooting lacrosse again. Even if the sun was crazy bright.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

DJExile posted:

You've got good action, but this one is really cool. Guy's expression is a bit nuts but I like it.
Thanks. It's a little out of focus, though. I love your lacrosse shots. Shooting a high-action sport like that looks like fun.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

n0n0 posted:

Yes! I love the expression on this guy.

From last nights match (Vålerenga - Viking):

Vålerenga IF - Viking by azathosk, on Flickr

How do the colors look to you guys? I'm using a non-calibrated screen, so I think my colors are a bit off.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

azathosk posted:

From last nights match (Vålerenga - Viking):

How do the colors look to you guys? I'm using a non-calibrated screen, so I think my colors are a bit off.
Overall, the colors are fine to my eye. The only oddness is that the tone of the grass is not uniform across all of the images, which could either be a lighting difference or a processing difference (edit: or an exposure difference), I suppose.

Good shots! :)

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 11, 2012

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Thanks. I did notice the grass, but it seemed OK on the shirts/shorts. Should I desaturate the pictures? I think the artificial light makes the white balance go crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

azathosk posted:

Thanks. I did notice the grass, but it seemed OK on the shirts/shorts. Should I desaturate the pictures? I think the artificial light makes the white balance go crazy.
Their uniforms are so bright and vibrant -- it would be a shame to lose that, IMHO.