Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm trying out the chrome beta and almost all pages get the mobile view. Can't find an option to prefer desktop view. Help?
It doesn't have the option. Give ICS Browser+ a shot.

What's the best and/or fastest camera app for ICS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It doesn't have the option. Give ICS Browser+ a shot.

What's the best and/or fastest camera app for ICS?

Best? Camera Zoom FX. The stock app is probably as fast as you'll find, though.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Penguissimo posted:

Best? Camera Zoom FX. The stock app is probably as fast as you'll find, though.

Yeah, I picked it up when it was on sale for a quarter last week. It's certainly not noticeably faster then the stock ICS camera and it can't shoot video which means you'll still need to use stock anyway.

I could see it being really useful with the older stock camera apps. My OG Droid in particular was just a slog to take still shots. However, it's just not worth it with ICS though unless you really need all the wierd effect filters for some reason.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I hate the google nusic player. No sleep timer, no alarm, no ability to edit tags or album art, it takes over the notification widget music controls so I can't use them with Winamp, it sometimes randomly starts playing music for no discernable reason, and it keeps doing this poo poo:

Splitting ambums up even though it's all tagged with the same album and artist. About the only thing it does that I like is stream music. That API can't come out soon enough.

What about the Album Artist field?

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I hate the google nusic player. No sleep timer, no alarm, no ability to edit tags or album art, it takes over the notification widget music controls so I can't use them with Winamp, it sometimes randomly starts playing music for no discernable reason, and it keeps doing this poo poo:

Splitting ambums up even though it's all tagged with the same album and artist. About the only thing it does that I like is stream music. That API can't come out soon enough.

I have albums that it does this to - including one that I deleted all tag information from (except track number/name), and copy-pasted them all back in identically. GM still hosed it up, no idea why.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So Kevin Rose starts at Google today. He posted yesterday on G+ that he was going to be working with Android.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bonzo posted:

So Kevin Rose starts at Google today. He posted yesterday on G+ that he was going to be working with Android.

Maybe he'll finally be the one to make Android run as smooth as a 2007 iphone.

In reality, he's probably there to bolster up Googles social network presence or something like that. Google+ isn't exactly lighting up the world right now...

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Bonzo posted:

You mean this?

quote:

Starting work at Google tomorrow! Excited on so many fronts, including moving to android! :)

https://plus.google.com/110318982509514011806/posts/LBhnSMqAhkq

From the wording you can also interpret it to mean that he's switching to Android now that he's working at Google. This comment:

quote:

You don't have to use Android just because you joined Google; lots of Googlers still use iPhones. ;)

But if you want to, drop by buliding 44; we've got your back.

from an Android Googler suggests that this interpretation is the correct one.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

no, it splits albums in artist view when the song has more than one artist, where as before it decided to poo poo itself everything was grouped by album in all views, like it should be. This isn't unique to google music since all music apps i've tried do this same stupid thing, but the newest version stopped this behavior, at least for songs that were downloaded through the app and not already on the sdcard. Now, for example, instead of just having a single artist "Apocalyptica" i now have "Apocalyptica/Sandra Nasic" and "Apocalyptica/Max Cavalera" etc, so i have ten goddamn entries in artist view for the same artist album. Really I'd use any music app that did not do this.

There's always Music Folder Player, which will absolutely not gently caress you like that, because it just plays what you put in a folder, in order. Don't want to gently caress with tags? Just put poo poo in the right folder and number the files.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
So I got a new phone, but cannot remember my twitter password. Is there a way I can get it off my old phone? Apparently it isn't tied to my email and twitter doesn't recognize it/can't find my device.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Death of Rats posted:

I have albums that it does this to - including one that I deleted all tag information from (except track number/name), and copy-pasted them all back in identically. GM still hosed it up, no idea why.

What software did you use to delete the tags? Not everything can see every tag that might be embedded in a file.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

indoflaven posted:

So I got a new phone, but cannot remember my twitter password. Is there a way I can get it off my old phone? Apparently it isn't tied to my email and twitter doesn't recognize it/can't find my device.

I think you're out of luck there :(

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

indoflaven posted:

Would it have an email address or something identifying in the settings on the old device?

BearQuake
Oct 22, 2008
Just checked for you and if I go into settings I only see my user name, not my email.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

BearQuake posted:

Just checked for you and if I go into settings I only see my user name, not my email.

Yeah there is literally no account info in the app. Can't change password or email. Guess I'm screwed. The weird part is how this account is not connected to my gmail when I had gmail before I got the phone/twitter.

BearQuake
Oct 22, 2008
can you request a password reset on the twitter site? They must have sent an activation email somewhere, try looking in past accounts (work/personal/ university) twitter is only a few years old......

Worst case is that you go down a rabbit hole of reactivating old email accounts.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

BearQuake posted:

can you request a password reset on the twitter site? They must have sent an activation email somewhere, try looking in past accounts (work/personal/ university) twitter is only a few years old......

I'm 100% sure that if they asked for an email I would have used gmail. I don't give out my university one for anything. I signed up for another twitter account and used the same email so maybe that messed it up. Guess I will just try and contact them directly.

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!
This might sound like an oddly specific request, but I'm looking for a music player that allows party guests to request songs and vote for a song to be played next. However, the only thing that has shown up on Google is iTunes Remote for iTunes (DJ?). And from the looks of it, I would need a computer with a wifi connection which seems a little overcomplicated for a party in an area with no internet connection.

Basically, I'd just like my Droid to be the music host and allow others to send requests/votes to it. If there's not an app like that, do any of the Android iTunes Remote apps allow for guest voting?

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

indoflaven posted:

I'm 100% sure that if they asked for an email I would have used gmail. I don't give out my university one for anything. I signed up for another twitter account and used the same email so maybe that messed it up. Guess I will just try and contact them directly.

Do you have your phone number tied to your account? There's a way to request a password reset through SMS.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

dissss posted:

What software did you use to delete the tags? Not everything can see every tag that might be embedded in a file.

Just windows explorer (did it at work). I'll check it again later with Foobar or something. Is there a particular type of tag that Android works with better than others?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Web Jew.0 posted:

What about the Album Artist field?

Google Music, and whatever Android uses to process MP3 tags, does not really like the Album Artist tag. If I have an album with "Song 1 - Artist (Album Artist)" and "Song 2 - Artist ft. Snoop Dogg (Album Artist)", and I go into Album view, it will display both "Album by Artist" and "Album by Artist ft. Snoop Dogg". Both of those show up in "Artists" view too, not just "Album Artist".

Even worse, if I have "Song X - Artist (<no album artist tag>)" and "Song Y - Artist (<album artist same as Artist tag>)" with the same album name, it displays THOSE as different albums too.

Pisses me off no end. Bloody Winamp for PC can do this right, as can WMP, Zune, and iTunes. Why the hell can't Google?

Edit: If you want your album to show up as a single album instead of having it broken into 9 different albums with 1 track each, you have to make sure that all of them have exactly the same Artist and Album Artist tags is basically what I mean. Which is incredibly annoying. Oh, and a lot of music players will display the Artist tag in the Album Artist field if a song doesn't have anything in the Album Artist field. Which made this even harder to find. poo poo like this that makes me just want to go Apple sometimes.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 20, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The Register just gave a positive review for n7player. I haven't tried it, and probably won't because it looks like a scattered mess and I use Google Music anyway, but I know some of you are always looking to try out different players.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Arcsech posted:

... poo poo like this that makes me just want to go Apple sometimes.

I assure you, as an iPod classic owner, Apple fucks this up just as hard.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
It would be nice if Google Music would let you choose the sort option rather than Artist, Album, etc. Let me choose something from the ID Tag specifically to sort everything by. tia

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

nickhimself posted:

It would be nice if Google Music would let you choose the sort option rather than Artist, Album, etc. Let me choose something from the ID Tag specifically to sort everything by. tia

Seems like there would be more music nerds at Google that would be pissed at this too and be fixing this stupid issue.

I personally have a folder per CD per album why cant music players figure out this easily structure system.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

I personally have a folder per CD per album why cant music players figure out this easily structure system.

You're looking for Music Folder Player.

\/\/\/ No poo poo? Time to check out PowerAmp again, then. Being able to sort by folder is pretty much the only feature I want in a music player, but I like windowdressing if available. :3:

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 20, 2012

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
PowerAmp also lets you find music by folder rather than tags. Comes ni handy pretty often.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Death of Rats posted:

Just windows explorer (did it at work). I'll check it again later with Foobar or something. Is there a particular type of tag that Android works with better than others?

Not sure what Windows Explorer shows these days but its well worth using MP3Tag to see what is actually going on with various tag versions on any given file: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

FlyingCheese posted:

I think Apple just hates people like us for continuing to use old versions of their products. On my Classic I can't even get the artist to sync up with the letter that pops up when you scroll through the list quickly let alone everything organised the way I want it (despite it all working fine in iTunes)

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Are there any other mail apps out there other than K9? It's good but I don't need all the features and it does a weird thing where it shows notifications for emails I just deleted. I just want something simple. Something like the stock Mail client that comes on vanilla phones (the stock mail client on my Skyrocket is poo poo, mostly because there are no checkboxes).

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

taste posted:

Are there any other mail apps out there other than K9? It's good but I don't need all the features and it does a weird thing where it shows notifications for emails I just deleted. I just want something simple. Something like the stock Mail client that comes on vanilla phones (the stock mail client on my Skyrocket is poo poo, mostly because there are no checkboxes).

Enhanced E-Mail is what you want.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

gucci mangosteen posted:

Do you have your phone number tied to your account? There's a way to request a password reset through SMS.

I tried that route, it says it doesn't recognize the number or device. I'm sure I registered with my number.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Does anyone know if there is an Android lockscreen that requires a 4+ digit numerical passcode but digits appear in random order on screen, to prevent people from 'reading' the passcode via smudges on the screen?

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Is there a widget/app that scrolls news and rss feeds and the like that matches the ICS theme? (or transparent)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FlyingCheese posted:

As an iPod touch owner, same deal. Nothing ever likes the way you tag your music, ever. iOS 5 has helped a little, but I've still got plenty of cases of albums split into separate albums for no reason, randomly losing album art, etc. It just comes with the territory. You have to do some babying to get it to work.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Sir Lemming posted:

As an iPod touch owner, same deal. Nothing ever likes the way you tag your music, ever. iOS 5 has helped a little, but I've still got plenty of cases of albums split into separate albums for no reason, randomly losing album art, etc. It just comes with the territory. You have to do some babying to get it to work.

I just don't understand how something as simple as a music library system is so drat complicated. Sometimes I don't think the people that write these programs even listen to music. The iTunes developers sure as gently caress don't.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'll be the odd man out: I've managed my music in iTunes for nearly a decade and all my tags are perfect. I have 100% album art and all of the art is embedded into the files instead of using the iTunes database. Not only do I not have problems with my iPods but I'd go so far as to say that the current Play Music app is the only time I've ever had tag problems.

iTunes makes it so easy to correct and manage tag data I don't understand how anyone can have so many problems.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Odette posted:

Does anyone know if there is an Android lockscreen that requires a 4+ digit numerical passcode but digits appear in random order on screen, to prevent people from 'reading' the passcode via smudges on the screen?

I don't know of one, but you can try asking the WidgetLocker dev to implement it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Odette posted:

There was a lockscreen that basically looked like this:

[OK]
[1]
[2]
[3]
[4]
[5]

you had to enter the key, and then swipe down across the keys the commit it, wiping any smudges.

I can't remember what it was called, but maybe someone else remembers.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Odette posted:

I dunno, when I unlock my phone by pass code I make a whole lot more smudges on my screen afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
They're in random places, though; grease builds in the pass code touch-spots because they're more or less in the same place every time. With the connect-the-dots unlock, the streak from unlocking is usually persistent no matter what you use it for the rest of the time. The Grand Canyon was a flat plain once.

• Locked thread