Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
So even though the "official" support for the Evo 3D isn't real for CM9, what does the current ICS scene look like for the phone? XDA is a pain to navigate, but last I remember the camera did not work on any rom, with no signs of it being fixed anytime soon. Is this still the case?

I've been using a Gingerbread MIUI build for months without issues, but I really want to try ICS. I use the camera daily though, so it needs to work before I make the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

...Made a pen and paper list of changes I'd made to /system that I'd have to re-do after the flash.
In the future, use the CM custom_backup_list.txt. You'll find it (I think, I don't have a CM device at the moment) in /etc. Instructions for use are located in the file, but basically you list every /system file you'd like to remain intact after a CM update flash and when you flash a new version all that stuff is still there.

Obviously it doesn't help if you've got things you delete from the CM ROM (although I have a script to do just that as well), but it's far better than making a pen and paper list.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

LastInLine posted:

In the future, use the CM custom_backup_list.txt. You'll find it (I think, I don't have a CM device at the moment) in /etc. Instructions for use are located in the file, but basically you list every /system file you'd like to remain intact after a CM update flash and when you flash a new version all that stuff is still there.

Obviously it doesn't help if you've got things you delete from the CM ROM (although I have a script to do just that as well), but it's far better than making a pen and paper list.

Cool, never knew about that. I've never deleted anything from the stock cm rom, just the roboto font install, gps.conf changes and adblocking hosts file. The hosts file survived the flash on its own, the other 2 I had to redo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

Cool, never knew about that. I've never deleted anything from the stock cm rom, just the roboto font install, gps.conf changes and adblocking hosts file. The hosts file survived the flash on its own, the other 2 I had to redo.
I find it particularly convenient for putting and keeping your preferred launcher in /system/app and adding ringtones and alarms to the /system side of things.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

I hope RC1 comes to the Droid X soon. EncounterICS is getting kinda old, and changing ROMs frequently is a giant pain in the dick since you basically have to SBF every time.

I hate this stupid phone. :smith:

papanugget
Aug 8, 2000

Kegwen posted:

I hope RC1 comes to the Droid X soon. EncounterICS is getting kinda old, and changing ROMs frequently is a giant pain in the dick since you basically have to SBF every time.

I hate this stupid phone. :smith:

I was on OMGB from November to February and finally changed the ROM to MIUI ICS. Didn't even SBF just wiped system data and Dalvik cache. No problems and best of all everything works great. It's fantastic.

friendly gentleman
Jul 8, 2007

UH, THIS ISNT YOUR DOG IS IT
Do any of you rooted su Android users use Good for Enterprise for work email on the phone?

I'm at an ethical crossroads I guess, apparently IT won't let me use Good with root and su on the device. (the app checks, not IT). Would I be good using something like RootKeeper to keep root open when I need it? Would I be a bad person and jeopardizing company data? Anyone else find themselves in a spot like this before?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

friendly gentleman posted:

Do any of you rooted su Android users use Good for Enterprise for work email on the phone?

I'm at an ethical crossroads I guess, apparently IT won't let me use Good with root and su on the device. (the app checks, not IT). Would I be good using something like RootKeeper to keep root open when I need it? Would I be a bad person and jeopardizing company data? Anyone else find themselves in a spot like this before?
It seems to me you that you know and understand the rules that you obviously agreed to as part of your arrangement with your employer.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

If you want to keep your job, do as the company says.

friendly gentleman
Jul 8, 2007

Darn, alright well thanks for the anchor of ethics. Will do, better safe than jobless. I suppose the GNex isn't too bad on stock. :unsmith:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Can anyone tell me what kernel I should be using for CM7.2 on an Evo? I've had so many different roms/radios/kernels on here over the past year that I want to make sure I have the right one.

Edit: seems that tiamat 4.1.0sbc is a popular choice, gonna give that a shot

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 20, 2012

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

I have Good for Enterprise on my rooted phone. It helps that I am one of the administrators of the Good server so I was able to set the policy for my phone to allow it to be rooted.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

ProjektorBoy posted:

Everything I've ever heard about the TBolt basically came down to Team BAMF and Team Liquid being the ones who made the phone worth a drat.

From a former Thunderbolt owner, Team Liquid made the only ROM actually worth using. It had pretty good battery life where the BAMF ROMS were terrible.

I tried out MIUI v4 Alpha on my Razr Maxx, and man, if they get the SD card stuff sorted I'll switch to that as my Daily Driver. I liked how the ROM performed and felt. It was pretty nice...especially coming from a tbolt.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Darn, alright well thanks for the anchor of ethics.
It's not really an ethical issue, more of a cover everyone's rear end issue. It's pretty simple:

If it's a work-provided-and-paid-for device, don't root it. Sucks, but that way you can't be blamed when poo poo goes wrong (whether or not it has anything to do with rooting). Furthermore, rooting and custom ROMs completely subvert the security mechanisms Android has in place, and enables opportunity for espionage. Not that xda gives two shits about your company, but if they did, then you would be a vector.

If it's a personal device and work doesn't provide an IMAP or webmail gateway, then you shouldn't be using it for work-related purposes. If you're required to, then your work should provide a device to you for that purpose.

They can't make you purchase device, make you pay for its service, and impose their policies on it. Well they can, but they're ignorant assholes for doing it, and they probably can't comprehend why that's terrible security policy. At that point, do whatever, although I doubt work would be particularly understanding of how it's "their fault" if/when poo poo goes wrong. In any event, most of us aren't in that situation.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

I hope this hasn't come up too recently, but can anyone give me a little rundown of which rom is my best bet for a cdma galaxy nexus? And what exactly would it offer over stock ICS? My only point of comparison with android roms is the touchpad, where its not really an option to stick with the "stock" os.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

blackflare posted:

I hope this hasn't come up too recently, but can anyone give me a little rundown of which rom is my best bet for a cdma galaxy nexus? And what exactly would it offer over stock ICS? My only point of comparison with android roms is the touchpad, where its not really an option to stick with the "stock" os.

I would recommend Liquid 1.1 with LeanKernel 2.5. There's also CM9, MIUI, and a couple others but in my opinion nothing as stable and feature rich as Liquid right now.

Advantages: LeanKernel cuts a bit of the bloat out and works directly with SetCPU to allow you to run at low voltage and MHz while the screen is off. This increases battery life greatly. Liquid also offers very nice looking menus and toggles. Liquid/LeanKernel combo puts the least amount of work on your phone to do making it very smooth, stable, and long lasting battery. Not to mention Liquid is 4.0.3, resolving any issues or potential issues you may have with stock 4.0.2.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 20, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

yamdankee posted:

I would recommend Liquid 1.1 with LeanKernal 2.5. There's also CM9, MIUI, and a couple others but in my opinion nothing as stable and feature rich as Liquid right now.

Advantages: LeanKernal cuts a bit of the bloat out and works directly with SetCPU to allow you to run at low voltage and MHz while the screen is off. This increases battery life greatly. Liquid also offers very nice looking menus and toggles. Liquid/LeanKernal combo puts the least amount of work on your phone to do making it very smooth, stable, and long lasting battery.

Are you spelling it "kernal" for any particular reason?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Are you spelling it "kernal" for any particular reason?
yamdankee is an old-school C64 hacker with a muscle memory issue. No other reason is acceptable.

Edit: vvv Aw shucks. Such a good opportunity for fake street cred.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 20, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
^^^Wouldn't have been able to get away with it anyway. Thanks for the benefit of the doubt, though!

Is being an idiot a good enough reason? Fixed, my apologies.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 20, 2012

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

How safe is the kernel flashing? Do I need to do anything with the settings or just install it and enjoy longer battery life? I'm downloading it anyway, I would be excited to save more battery.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

blackflare posted:

How safe is the kernel flashing? Do I need to do anything with the settings or just install it and enjoy longer battery life? I'm downloading it anyway, I would be excited to save more battery.

Kernel flashing is pretty safe. It won't brick your phone, though it may cause bootloops if you use the wrong one. Nandroid and flash and you're laughing.

EDIT: I've just read the OP, and it tells you what you can try once you're rooted. Though it doesn't make it clear how goddamn important it is to nandroid. Most issues I've noticed can be fixed just with restoring a backup.

Could it be made extra big and prominent to nandroid every time you go to do something with your phone?

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 20, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
If you're still reading my posts after I just learned how to spell: Just make sure you're on 4.0.3 before flashing as it is a 4.0.3 kernel. If you're feeling adventurous, you can go for the notrim version so you can overclock. I've been running notrim for weeks without a problem.

friendly gentleman
Jul 8, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's not really an ethical issue, more of a cover everyone's rear end issue.

Well yeah its both. Ethical choice of mine considering I had Good synching my email with root hidden using RootKeeper, I could have kept it. I'm back to stock anyways, it's definitely a "cover our rear end" type of deal for the company.

It's my phone and phone plan but the company picks up much of the bill, I'll trade that in exchange for future CM9 goodness.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Man this liquid rom has a hell of an ugly boot animation. Everything seems to be going fine though, thanks.

edit: Maybe I spoke too soon, its still on this loading animation and hasn't booted yet... How long should this take exactly?

edit2: Yeah definitely not booting at all, just sticks to the animation forever. Should I just give up and restore my backup? I don't really understand what I did wrong, I've flashed roms before and I didn't do anything differently. Used clockword mod.

blackflare fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 21, 2012

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
First boot can take a while. Download ROM Toolbox from the market and install a different boot animation. Their stupid android surfing poo poo is whack. Windows 7 boot anim for life!

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Well I restored it and flashed the liquid rom again and I'm leaving it to boot much longer this time. It's still going on 8 minutes though, I'm not sure what the acceptable time to give up is.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

blackflare posted:

Well I restored it and flashed the liquid rom again and I'm leaving it to boot much longer this time. It's still going on 8 minutes though, I'm not sure what the acceptable time to give up is.

Check the MD5, you might have gotten a bad download.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

The MD5 matches. Does wiping the data on the phone matter? I was leaving it intact but I could copy stuff off if that's an important step.

\/\/\/ doh

blackflare fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 21, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

blackflare posted:

The MD5 matches. Does wiping the data on the phone matter? I was leaving it intact but I could copy stuff off if that's an important step.
Are you coming from a different ROM? If so you must wipe or else it will bootloop as it's doing right now.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

blackflare posted:

\/\/\/ doh

Remember, if you did a TiBackup before hand, restoring system data will cause that same boot loop. App data only.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Thanks everyone, I got it working now. I thought wiping data meant it would format the whole phone and I would lose my poo poo. But apparently it doesn't! So, bonus.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

blackflare posted:

Thanks everyone, I got it working now. I thought wiping data meant it would format the whole phone and I would lose my poo poo. But apparently it doesn't! So, bonus.

Yup. Wiping data just means emptying out what's in /data. Not anything in /system or the MicroSD card.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

papanugget posted:

I was on OMGB from November to February and finally changed the ROM to MIUI ICS. Didn't even SBF just wiped system data and Dalvik cache. No problems and best of all everything works great. It's fantastic.

I'm still using a MIUI build from last September on my Droid X, and it's been working just fine for me. I don't see any reason to switch out ROMs, though the idea of MIUI ICS has been tempting for a while though.

My upgrade is in a few months, so I'm pretty much going to wait it out.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Man thanks yamdankee for pointing me to this rom/kernel. The difference is astonishing in battery consumption.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

blackflare posted:

Man thanks yamdankee for pointing me to this rom/kernel. The difference is astonishing in battery consumption.

No problem! It's funny, if you look back a few pages to when I flashed Liquid, I made the same mistake - and I've rooted tons of phones. But yeah staring at that ugly boot animation is not reassuring about the ROM. It's a great ROM and kernel though and does help a lot with battery life.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

The liquid settings has an option to turn off the boot animation :buddy:

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
so...anyone here have an LG enlighten? (/OptimusS/Q?) Apparently the most recent firmware upgrade prevents things like the oneclick root from working, and the phone apparently isn't popular enough to have people working on it. Which is a shame, because I really love the phone. I just would love it more if I could run TiBackup on it and get rid of all the verizon-related bloat.

\/\/ no roms to flash to. CM hasn't been ported to any of the V700 variants, neither has miui. I can do without a custom rom, I just want TiBackup and to get rid of the bloat.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 22, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

so...anyone here have an LG enlighten? (/OptimusS/Q?) Apparently the most recent firmware upgrade prevents things like the oneclick root from working, and the phone apparently isn't popular enough to have people working on it. Which is a shame, because I really love the phone. I just would love it more if I could run TiBackup on it and get rid of all the verizon-related bloat.
I though all LGs were reflashable without any work?

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

yamdankee posted:

I would recommend Liquid 1.1 with LeanKernel 2.5. There's also CM9, MIUI, and a couple others but in my opinion nothing as stable and feature rich as Liquid right now.

You had me at "long lasting battery". Is there a good spot with step by step directions on getting this all setup from a stock Verizon Gnex?

My experience with android modding forums usually goes something like this:

Them: You just need to GTSASD v1.0111.143 the RAADD
Me: What is a GTSAD?
Them: GTSAD v1.0111.143 is just an extension off AJDNKDLSNF v9.2.5.32342.1
Me: Where can I find AJDKDLSNF v9.2.5.32342.1?
Them: Do a search in the forums.

So I search and all the threads I find are:

First Post: Where can I find AJDKDLSNF v9.2.5.32342.1?
Them: Do a search in the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I used this toolkit a while ago, but another goon has had success with a bit of a friendlier looking toolkit that does the same thing. If you use the latter, make sure it's set to CDMA/LTE. The steps for this would basically be:

1) Backup anything on the phone like pictures, music, etc to your computer.
2) Download the latest versions of the toolkit of your choice, Liquid, and LeanKernel.
3) Install the toolkit.
4) Choose 'Drivers' (to install necessary drivers).
5) Choose 'Unlock'. This is the part that wipes everything, basically putting the phone into out of the box condition, but now unlocked. This means you can install custom kernels like LeanKernel.
6) Choose 'Root'.
7) Now you have an unlocked, rooted GNex with Clockworkmod Recovery. CWM allows you to create backups/restore, flash things like ROMS, kernels, and other .zips. So copy over the Liquid zip and the Leankernel zip to the root of your SD card (just don't put it in any folder so it's easy to find in CWM).
8) Turn off the phone, boot into bootloader menu by holding VOL UP and VOL DOWN and POWER at the same time. Then press VOL DOWN, then POWER to enter CWM Recovery.
9) Select backup/restore and do a backup.
10) Wipe data/factory reset.
11) Wipe cache.
12) Install zip from sd card > choose the Liquid zip. Install.
13) Now find the LeanKernel zip and flash that, too.
14) Reboot, and you're all set.

Follow the onscreen instructions for the toolkit, and don't plug your phone into the computer until it tells you to. Once you're booted into Liquid for the first time, you'll have to reactivate, and then your apps should start downloading again automatically if you chose to have your apps restored.