Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Yay my teeny tiny plastic palm trees arrived and they look pretty good. Now to make some jungle bases. Then I need to tackle paddy fields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Here's the first test base (10mm for scale next to them)

I've added rock piles and things to the other bases, and I might stick some clump foliage for bushes and buy some Silfur grass tufts in a couple of lengths and shades to put some long grass/bush areas on. I think that would look pretty good on the mini bases as well, like GIs walking through long grass, just right for Vietnam in places.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
A question for any Field of Glory players out there. How well do battles between armies from different time periods work? They're all build based on the same points scale, so I assume balance won't be too far out, but will armies from later on have a definite advantage over earlier time periods?

Making the jump to historical wargaming from being a long time Warhammer fan, ordered myself a small mountain of 15mm Crown of Aragon soldiers from Old Glory. Both looking forward to and dreading having to paint them all :)

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I just bought the new three-part FoW rule book. Very pretty.

I guess the lists are suppose to be LW, but they look (at least the Americans) to be a bit limited. Not to mention everything is Confident/Trained, no option for Confident/Veterans or Fearless/Vets like in some of the other books. I mean, I like the EW stuff because of how simple and barebones everything seems, but LW is a different beast.

My local store is having a "tournament" today and I'm not sure I'll be able to field the army I want to. I mean, the owner is cool and all, but the other players have pretty much brow beat everyone into believing you can only run Red Bear and Grey Wolf.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, are there decent FoW/Historical groups in the NE Ohio area? I really would like to field my Early War Italians without hearing people complain about how they're not "version 3 compatible".

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

YF19pilot posted:

I just bought the new three-part FoW rule book. Very pretty.

I guess the lists are suppose to be LW, but they look (at least the Americans) to be a bit limited. Not to mention everything is Confident/Trained, no option for Confident/Veterans or Fearless/Vets like in some of the other books. I mean, I like the EW stuff because of how simple and barebones everything seems, but LW is a different beast.

Well they have to give you SOME reason to buy the other books.

quote:

My local store is having a "tournament" today and I'm not sure
I'll be able to field the army I want to. I mean, the owner is cool and all, but the other players have pretty much brow beat everyone into believing you can only run Red Bear and Grey Wolf.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, are there decent FoW/Historical groups in the NE Ohio area? I really would like to field my Early War Italians without hearing people complain about how they're not "version 3 compatible".

I can't answer to that, but know that your store is full of morons. Battlefront specifically stated that everything is still compatible.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

YF19pilot posted:

Tell them they are being stupid and that Battlefront has stated multiple times that all V2 books are still legal. What in the world makes them think that Battlefront would gently caress up so bad as to make it so that you couldn't play Early War or Mid War at all and also leave Late War Americans, Italians, and British without legal army lists?

I know there was a little bit of "URRRGH Thanks Battlefront for becoming Games Workshop I just bought Blitzkreig and now I can't even use it URRGGH" But everywhere I saw that it was stamped out with good info.

They do know how to use google right?

Mid-War and Early War books probably won't be getting updates for a long time, probably Mid War first (since they are the oldest) but even then probably not until next year.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Tournaments/EarlyWarNationals2012.pdf
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Tournaments/MidWarNationals2012.pdf
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Tournaments/LateWarNationals2012.pdf

Those are the links for the 2012 Nationals and they list the books that lists are allowed from for the purposes of the Big Official Tournament that Battlefront runs.

You can't get any more official than that.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Had the "tourney" yesterday which consisted of 4 store regulars (myself included). The 'house rule' was that if you use the 'old' books, you use the 'old' rules for that nation. I told them about Battlefront's stance on the matter, but wasn't convincing enough apparently.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well they have to give you SOME reason to buy the other books.

I actually ran the 'Vanilla US Infantry' out of the forces book and did awesome with them. But I'm probably going to drop the $50 when Battle of the Bulge comes out.

quote:

I can't answer to that, but know that your store is full of morons. Battlefront specifically stated that everything is still compatible.

Numlock posted:

Tell them they are being stupid and that Battlefront has stated multiple times that all V2 books are still legal. What in the world makes them think that Battlefront would gently caress up so bad as to make it so that you couldn't play Early War or Mid War at all and also leave Late War Americans, Italians, and British without legal army lists?

I think it's one 'yard cock' moron who tries to brow beat the rest of the group. If not for the owner, the tourney would've literally been "Grey Wolf vs. Red Bear, no you can't use Americans, what do you mean theres army lists in the rule books, theres no army lists in the rule book (holds up mini rule book)."

Also, for a guy who is "All 3 and no 2" he's stuck in using the random terrain chart instead of V3's "Make it reasonable, use your imagination, make it make sense."

I spent so much money on EW/MW Italians, and it was pulling teeth to get them to play EW. With this mentality, it'll be impossible :smith:

quote:

They do know how to use google right?

Apparently the only thing they use their computers for are that Star Wars MMO and World of Tanks. Probably why I was the only person (besides the owner) that knew the rule book was a 3-pack and had army lists in them. (I'm also apparently the only player who actually owns the V3 rule set.)

Sorry about the words.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 11, 2012

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

YF19pilot posted:

what do you mean theres army lists in the rule books, theres no army lists in the rule book (holds up mini rule book)."

Apparently the only thing they use their computers for are that Star Wars MMO and World of Tanks. Probably why I was the only person (besides the owner) that knew the rule book was a 3-pack and had army lists in them. (I'm also apparently the only player who actually owns the V3 rule set.)

I've seen a few references to army lists in the rules - did I miss something?

All I got was the mini-rulebook which doesn't seem to have lists.

e:
Ok good, I hadn't seen that it had come out already. (My LGS is changing locations - it's taking longer than anyone expected.)

moths fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 12, 2012

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

moths posted:

I've seen a few references to army lists in the rules - did I miss something?

All I got was the mini-rulebook which doesn't seem to have lists.

If you buy the $60 Hardback "rule set" it comes with three books, the rules, a "Hobby" book, and a "Forces" book, which has some generic LW lists for the Americans, Germans, British, and Russians.

The mini-rulebook is basically just the rule book, but with like 20 pages of fluff taken out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Numlock posted:

Tell them they are being stupid and that Battlefront has stated multiple times that all V2 books are still legal.
Heck, IIRC V1 is still legal if you want to do the work of deciphering those drat lists. I'd be fine with it personally.

My mini-rulebook shed its first page yesterday. drat you Battlefront :argh:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Did I miss someone else posting this? It's drat useful:

What's changed in FoW V3

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Did I miss someone else posting this? It's drat useful:

What's changed in FoW V3

I think it was that one, or another similar pdf they sent out before the V3 mini-rule book shipped. I printed it out right away and wrote a ton of notes and questions beside everything.

Otherwise, I found something out quite interesting. The generic USA list in the Forces book is pulled almost exactly out of Turning Tide. They match up point for point with the 3rd & 6th Armored Divisions (Medium Tank, Armored Infantry) and 29th Infantry Division (Infantry) - post D-Day. The only differences are lack of options and if you buy 2 tank hunters (M10s or 3" Towed Guns) rather than 4, it is something like 15 points more expensive to do so in the Forces book. 4 M10s or 4 3" guns cost the same in both books.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Two new Zvezda pieces: BT-7 tank and Soviet Scouts.

The BT-7 (along with its other Christie suspension brothers, the BT-2, BT-5 and A-20) had the ability to have their tracks removed and drive around like a car.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Solving the problem of no available 6mm Choson Koreans by sculpting my own range: Horrible horrible idea, or awesome horrible idea?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Get pics up and we'll let you know.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Get pics up and we'll let you know.

I got started yesterday, but don't expect anything too soon. I haven't sculpted entire miniatures before, much less in 6mm, but I got inspired by this guy:
https://www.baccus6mm.com/forum/index.php?topic=1070.0
Who went from no specific experience to making a 6mm Ottoman Turks range for Baccus, since no-one else were going to do it. It took like one and a half year though, so I better get started. Using the Killer Katanas 2 sourcebook for some 6mm Korean invasion scenarios would be awesome, but there's simply no Koreans out there in 6mm.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Hello historical modelers!

Not sure if this has been brought up to your attention, but the 2012 Oath Thread is open to all models across all ranges, including historicals and scenics! If you have something that you'd like to get done, even if it's just for a month or two, take a look and maybe win a prize or two!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Historical oaths are the best oaths.

I added a tiny tiny temple to my range. Still haven't decided what it should cost though since it is very small, but at the same time much more of a pain in the rear end to cast than I thought due to the overhang.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

You tried selling these to Baccus?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

You tried selling these to Baccus?

We've discussed it earlier. I think I'd need some kind of packaging first, and the margins are small enough right now that shipping them to the UK and then giving a cut to Baccus would be tricky. Timecast were interested as well, actually. If things go well this spring at work I might be able to invest in some proper gear for casting, which would mean that the amounts of miscasts should go down. Then I would be more confident with selling them through a retailer.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Package it with the two small details and charge as much as one of the larger items. I recently spotted the Dystopian Wars packs of terrain and they seem to have gone with a "find a box, stuff it with as much themed terrain as possible and charge 18 euro for it" model which makes me drat tempted to buy their stuff for use in Epic.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm going to be finally going back to painting up some of my cold war 6mm stuff.

I'm not sure what to do about bases, as always. I really like the look of these kind of urban bases where bases have bits of road, pavement etc. I guess it follows from mostly paint 28mm where bases are larger and you have more space to put on details like that.

Would that kind of thing in 6mm look absolutely ridiculous when moving troops around on the tabletop and is it best to stick to something relatively neutral without obvious scenic features? I've not that much experience with 6mm other than painting it just for myself. I need to get two armies done so I can persuade my friends to try it!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Test stand for my GIs in Vietnam.

Didnt come out as well as they could have done due to me being inpatient and not realising the devlan mud wash was still a bit wet when I flocked the base! Managed to get most of it off by using a water soaked brush, but its effected the quality of the wash a bit. Still, Im really pleased with the colours Ive used for the uniforms, gives a nice faded 'in country' look.

Figures are Pendraken 10mm (as usual for me!) and very nice they are too. Not a very big range but it should do.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Not so much a modelling/painting question as a "where do I get these figures"?

I'm putting together some warbands for Saga (dark ages skirmish). I'm using 20mm, because (a) I had a bunch of plastic Vikings sitting around, (b) it's cheap and (c) the scale will let me play on a normal sized table. But some of the sides are tricky. The basic sides are Vikings, Normans, Anglo-Danes and Welsh. The first expansion features Bretons, Jomsvikings, Scots & Anglo-Saxons.

Obvious some of these aren't a problem. But Welsh? Anglo-danes? Anyone like to nominate reasonable proxies or substitutes for these?

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 23, 2012

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

outlier posted:

Not so much a modelling/painting question as a "where do I get these figures"?

I'm putting together some warbands for Saga (dark ages skirmish). I'm using 20mm, because (a) I had a bunch of plastic Vikings sitting around, (b) it's cheap and (c) the scale will let me play on a normal sized table. But some of the sides are tricky. The basic sides are Vikings, Normans, Anglo-Danes and Welsh. The first expansion features Bretons, Jomsvikings, Scots & Anglo-Saxons.

Obvious some of these aren't a problem. But Welsh? Anglo-danes? Anyone like to nominate reasonable proxies or substitutes for these?

Browsing Plastic Soldier Review, there seems to be a lack of those options. I guess you'd have to either convert them or skip them, as 20mm can be tricky to find when it comes to some of the more unusual forces.

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=6

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Companies that don't have pictures of their products, and then ship an order in unlabelled bags are rather annoying! I have several bags of 6mm tanks, and several bags of separate turrets, so now I need to scour the internet for pictures to work out which bags of turrets go with which bags of tanks!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Companies that don't have pictures of their products, and then ship an order in unlabelled bags are rather annoying! I have several bags of 6mm tanks, and several bags of separate turrets, so now I need to scour the internet for pictures to work out which bags of turrets go with which bags of tanks!

I know a guy who does BSG and Star Trek ships in resin. I have received some unholy collections of parts in ziplock bags. Lucky for him he has pictures, but nothing as detailed as an assembly guide. Then there's Dave at PT Dockyard. Individually bagged with hand-drawn sketches for assembly guides. The real trick with his stuff is finding the machine guns amidst all the resin flash.

Good times with garage kits :-)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

There is no excuse to not have pictures up on your website of your products in the year 2012. No excuse.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

There is no excuse to not have pictures up on your website of your products in the year 2012. No excuse.

Also was not a fan of having to email my order and wait to be sent a paypal invoice. Shopping carts are popular in online stores, in space year 2012

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Can't you Google the name of the tank for pictures? Or at least post samples here and I should be able to identify them.

Still, not having pictures is kind of dumb. It does irk me even when all there is is concept art and no image of the finished or painted product.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ensign Expendable posted:

Can't you Google the name of the tank for pictures?

I did this and worked it out, it's okay. Some tanks are pretty similar though - thank god I wasn't buying different variations of the same model.

Still, I now have (even more) stuff to paint, old Osprey books for reference, and will be getting round to it soon.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Also was not a fan of having to email my order and wait to be sent a paypal invoice. Shopping carts are popular in online stores, in space year 2012

I can understand someone not figuring out the paypal shopping cart (though even I managed that). I can not understand someone not being able to find a single person with a digital camera or a mobile phone that is less than 5 years old, who can take a picture of your product and put it online. That is just weird and defeats the purpose of, you know, having a website.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

First platoon done!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

First platoon done!

These are awesome

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I know this is becoming a running gag, but I need to find a new gaming group. Or find a way to ostracize one of the members of mine.

When asked what war period to play this week, this guy "Jay" literally pointed at the Red Bear book and said "there can be only one." I'm almost curious what will happen when he learns that Battlefront is releasing a bunch of French stuff next month. Oh wait, France isn't in Red Bear/Grey Wolf...

Also, I hate that he's stuck on using the random terrain tables, as it really screws with the rules since V3 changed alot of what terrain constitutes what.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Have you tried not being a grown up and just calling him names? It's worked for me in the past.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Point out to the store owner that he's probably losing sales because of the misinformation being spread by that guy.

Also point out to the store owner and the other players Battlefront's stance on the matter. Use a computer for this.

Don't let that guy run the group and decide who plays who and with what. You can do whatever the hell you want as long as your opponent agrees even if that guy was right (he's not).

Don't care about actually convincing that guy that you are right, that will not happen. Best result is that he leaves for good if you and the other players stop listening to what he says.

Start going to local tournaments, you will meet other players (you will not see that guy guaranteed) and find other groups to play with.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Woo!

Finished up the last of these Libyans I was painting. Took me a while to get a correctly sized pickup truck, and somewhere in there I acquired some more miniatures to paint and well, you know how that goes.

My new project is more fun: Two Warhammer Historical armies based on A Song of Ice and Fire. I am so ready to paint all that red and yellow (ohgodpleasehelpmeIamnotready).

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Oh well more money to be spent at Salute!

http://www.warlordgames.com/19318/pre-order-pike-shotte-rulebook/

Been looking forward to this for a while- its the official supplement for Black Powder for pike and shot era. Well its not so much a supplement now as a full rule book.

English Civil War here I come. Now to decide on scale- 6 or 10mm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

Oh well more money to be spent at Salute!

http://www.warlordgames.com/19318/pre-order-pike-shotte-rulebook/

Been looking forward to this for a while- its the official supplement for Black Powder for pike and shot era. Well its not so much a supplement now as a full rule book.

English Civil War here I come. Now to decide on scale- 6 or 10mm?

I don't have much interest in the period, but on the other hand, this makes me want to play it.

They have pretty much outright stated they're doing an AWI book, though. I'm wondering when.