Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

HypnoCabbage posted:

Rather hilariously, the card game from the manga was based on Magic: The Gathering, and wound up becoming probably its largest competitor.
I think you are actually thinking of Duel Masters in which they actually played Magic the Gathering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
When first introduced in the comic the Yu-Gi-Oh game was just a very generic, rule-less (but pretty obviously inspired by Magic) card game for Yugi to play. The rules only came later on when the card game aspect became the most popular part of the book.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TwoPair posted:

Got any sources on this? Regardless, that doesn't make the two seasons we got any less rad. Even if the second season got a little crappier, I still fuckin' love Big O.

I still think it's amazing that an anime was popular enough in the US that CN actually helped produce a second season in the first place. It's a shame that the ratings just didn't come like they did for S1 (at least, that's what I assume happened).

Anime being popular enough to get funded on the US side never turns out well. See also: Voltron, Yugioh.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Season 2 of Big O wasn't bad, but you could tell that someone behind the scenes went "The metaphysical stuff is pretty cool, let's make season 2 nothing but that!" and then it went from a pretty cool giant robot show that happened to be set in a cross between Plato's allegory of the cave and Batman: TAS to a bunch of convoluted mindfuckery that happened to have some robot fights.

The constant hand-wringing about the nature of reality, etc. is even weirder when it's taking over a show where one of the recurring characters is a guy modeled after Sam Raimi's Darkman and parts of the soundtrack are lifted from old Gerry Anderson shows.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

raditts posted:

Anime being popular enough to get funded on the US side never turns out well. See also: Voltron, Yugioh.

Counterpoint: Avatar 1 and Avatar 2: Avatar Harder. :colbert:

Thundercats is just iffy, they opted to have a very loosly based sense of continuity between episodes, but everything is too moral heavy or product placement heavy. It doesn't really flow from one episode to another, but it's far from terrible.

Voltron they just dropped the ball, I mean 80 reboots can work(Transformers: Prime, Masters of the Universe, She-Ra, My Little Pony) but the show just lost direction early on. They were opting for a Mech Warrior/Gundam type based future but nothing panned out and it just became directionless. They also never fully developed the characters to any extent. You had hints of interesting characerization but they just went nowhere.

It's shame because the original Go-Lion was ungodly violent and really has potential if it were to be revived properly(probably along the lines of Gurren Lagan or Redline). But having everyone act like a Boy Scout and forcibly making everything remain as non-violent and bland as possible just ruins an otherwise interesting premesis. Hell the Aquabats are the same genre as Voltron/Power Rangers(granted it's satire) and even then they take out a gun and blow someone's head off from time to time...and it's funny.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 20, 2012

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vaerai Archon posted:

That doesn't really count since Avatar was a wholly American creation that was just drawn in an anime style, as opposed to something like Power Rangers, which is a Japanese creation with dubbed fight scenes and different out-of-suit segments.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Vaerai Archon posted:

Hell the Aquabats are the same genre as Voltron/Power Rangers(granted it's satire) and even then they take out a gun and blow someone's head off from time to time...and it's funny.
Wait? They do that On the Hub?!

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wait? They do that On the Hub?!

Yes, and then after being shot the monster somehow explodes in an extravagent fashion with guts flying all over the cast.

They all stand around and after a period of dead silence they remark that shooting him was Hardcore.

TwoPair posted:

That doesn't really count since Avatar was a wholly American creation that was just drawn in an anime style, as opposed to something like Power Rangers, which is a Japanese creation with dubbed fight scenes and different out-of-suit segments.

Anime style=Anime since it's animated in the same place as actual anime series. Yes it's an american creation, but it's also anime.

The purists will go pish-posh and continue to eat their pocky with their pinkies raised, but after the 4-5-6 straight abysmal seasons of anime in Japan what are you really defending?

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 20, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

IRQ posted:

Look on the back of the Avatar books that Darkhorse releases, it says anime under it's classification.

I think people who don't want to consider it at such either are afraid about being grouped with otaku or otaku who are afraid that outsiders are infrigning on their area.

When you have series like Twelve Kingdoms have an equal ammount of effort put into it that covers every aspect of the show, the lines blurr and then become non-existant.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 20, 2012

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farbtoner posted:

Season 2 of Big O wasn't bad, but you could tell that someone behind the scenes went "The metaphysical stuff is pretty cool, let's make season 2 nothing but that!" and then it went from a pretty cool giant robot show that happened to be set in a cross between Plato's allegory of the cave and Batman: TAS to a bunch of convoluted mindfuckery that happened to have some robot fights.

The constant hand-wringing about the nature of reality, etc. is even weirder when it's taking over a show where one of the recurring characters is a guy modeled after Sam Raimi's Darkman and parts of the soundtrack are lifted from old Gerry Anderson shows.

The second season was setting up all the Evangelion-style mindfuckery so that the third season could knock it down and say that yes, there actually are concrete, rational explanations for everything and abstract navel-gazing is stupid. But it got cancelled because Cartoon Network wanted to pinch a few pennies despite the strong ratings, and so we're left with, narratively speaking, a film with no third act. Eat a bag of dicks, CN.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vaerai Archon posted:

But Avatar is a completely American made series, isn't it?

quote:

Voltron they just dropped the ball, I mean 80 reboots can work(Transformers: Prime, Masters of the Universe, She-Ra, My Little Pony) but the show just lost direction early on. They were opting for a Mech Warrior/Gundam type based future but nothing panned out and it just became directionless. They also never fully developed the characters to any extent. You had hints of interesting characerization but they just went nowhere.

I think maybe you misunderstood, with Voltron and Yugioh I was referring to how the US distributors ignored / cut out the original endings for each and created an entire extra season on the US side full of recycled animations. I guess it's not as bad as Robotech though, which was three completely unrelated series mashed together with a nonsensical storyline made up to tie them together.

Well not really I guess, since they did do they same thing with Voltron.

Vaerai Archon posted:

Anime style=Anime since it's animated in the same place as actual anime series. Yes it's an american creation, but it's also anime.

The purists will go pish-posh and continue to eat their pocky with their pinkies raised, but after the 4-5-6 straight abysmal seasons of anime in Japan what are you really defending?

Yeah, you definitely misunderstood. I'm not really even sure what or who you're arguing with at this point either, since it's pretty much widely accepted that "anime" means "japanese origin" on account of the word "anime."

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 21, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

raditts posted:

Yeah, you definitely misunderstood. I'm not really even sure what or who you're arguing with at this point either, since it's pretty much widely accepted that "anime" means "japanese origin" on account of the word "anime."

Anime is actually a french word(because sometimes people like to put a little - over the e). To be more specific it's an abreviation of animation that arose in the 1970's, considering that in the early 1900's japan was producing animation allready, it was relatively new-ish term. Also Japanese studios outsource animation to S.korea like their North American Counterparts.

But the truth is there is no direct classification and there's alot of wiggle room on what exactly is considered anime. But to get back on point Avatar is animated in the same area where 95% of the anime series are. It's just the script that wasn't or the actual funding.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 21, 2012

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, just the script, the funding, the concept, the original voice acting and the flavor (which is based off of classical China.) Other than that its totally the same as anime.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah, just the script, the funding, the concept, the original voice acting and the flavor (which is based off of classical China.) Other than that its totally the same as anime.

There's been anime series that feature chinese/korean influences before. Hell there's anime series that don't even feature anything remotely japanese in them either. I mean hell look at Redline, there is NOTHING japanese about those places. Storwywise there's really nothing that sets Eastern and Western based media apart, they're both very similar in execution. Specific genres might be more popular than another but that mostly comes down to personal taste. As far as location asthetics go there's really nothing that's considered specific enough to warrent that it only appears in anime.

Also I'm certain that the voice acting studios were the ones that have also done the dubbing for anime as well.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 21, 2012

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vaerai Archon posted:

Anime is actually a french word(because sometimes people like to put a little - over the e).

Is this a joke? It's short for "animeshon", the romanization of how "animation" is written in Japanese. Some people put an accent over the "e" for the same reason they put an accent over the "e" in "Pokemon." Or do you think Pokemon comes from France too?

(Too much goddamned anime chat in this thread.)

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 21, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Changing the topic, anyone else watching the new CG Green Lantern? They aired the first "new" episode last Saturday and so far its been pretty good. Hal and Kilowogg have good chemistry and I'm enjoying the new Red Lantern character they introduced. He's kind of got a Prince Zuko vibe to him.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Chop Kick Panda (2011) NR

A pleasantly plump panda defends his tiny village against an evil tiger warrior who's bent on retrieving a powerful amulet in this animated tale (no relation to the blockbuster Kung Fu Panda).

http://movies.netflix.com/WiSearch?oq=chopkick&ac_posn=1&ac_rec=true&ac_count=-1&ac_match=true&v1=Chop+Kick+Panda

It is Kung Fu Panda, they're not fooling anyone.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Neo Helbeast posted:

Chop Kick Panda (2011) NR

A pleasantly plump panda defends his tiny village against an evil tiger warrior who's bent on retrieving a powerful amulet in this animated tale (no relation to the blockbuster Kung Fu Panda).

http://movies.netflix.com/WiSearch?oq=chopkick&ac_posn=1&ac_rec=true&ac_count=-1&ac_match=true&v1=Chop+Kick+Panda

It is Kung Fu Panda, they're not fooling anyone.

I'm surprised it took that long for a knockoff to come out. Didn't "Ratatoing" actually come out before Ratatouille?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Don't forget The Little Panda Fighter. (2008)

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.
Speaking of Video Brinquedo, they've got a new project brewing!

If this doesn't get them sued by Disney, nothing's going to.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Don't forget The Little Panda Fighter. (2008)

Holy poo poo, the narrator's voice sounds like its straight from a south park parody of a movie trailer, specifically at 32 seconds in.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Ok this lego ninja cartoon is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my entire life. I'm not so blinded by nostalgia as to pretend that all the cartoons I watched when I was little were great but this is just really, really stupid.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Did it make you want to buy Lego? If yes then it succeeded and if no then it failed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Despite the complete lack of advertising it seems that Thundercats is back tomorrow morning.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Sesame Street apparently snuck onto Netflix. It's only list as 96 episodes so I don't know if it's all of the episodes.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I would expect its the past four years (4 seasons of 24 episodes) but don't have Netflix so can't confirm.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Neo Helbeast posted:

Sesame Street apparently snuck onto Netflix. It's only list as 96 episodes so I don't know if it's all of the episodes.

It's been running for like 40 years so I would assume no.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

muscles like this? posted:

Despite the complete lack of advertising it seems that Thundercats is back tomorrow morning.

Morning? Oh, gently caress you CN. Eat a dick you goddamned jerks. This is what you did with Symbionic Titan. gently caress you

Might as well pronounce it dead right now.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

HypnoCabbage posted:

Speaking of Video Brinquedo, they've got a new project brewing!

If this doesn't get them sued by Disney, nothing's going to.

Oh, and remember "The Little Cars"? They've been making sequels. Lots of sequels.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Little_Cars_8_Making_A_Mess/70207251?trkid=2361637

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Neo Helbeast posted:

It's been on there at least a year if not more, but man is the show a husk of its former self anymore. My kids aren't even that into it.

Sockser posted:

Morning? Oh, gently caress you CN. Eat a dick you goddamned jerks. This is what you did with Symbionic Titan. gently caress you

I never watched Symbionic Titan but it seems like they're trying to put together some kind of Saturday morning action block. Having seen that episode this morning though, I think Thundercats might be just a little dark for Saturday morning.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That's a shame. You can argue that it may have outlived its intended purpose (it was intended for kids whose parents couldn't afford preschool, if I'm not mistaken), but there would be a holy riot if they pulled it off now.

I don't get why they chose Elmo to be the face of the show. He never really registered when I was watching it, although that was before they started shoving him down our throats. I was definitely a Grover guy back in the day.

Edit: There's also the fact that kids have a wider variety of choices today.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

That's a shame. You can argue that it may have outlived its intended purpose (it was intended for kids whose parents couldn't afford preschool, if I'm not mistaken), but there would be a holy riot if they pulled it off now.

I don't get why they chose Elmo to be the face of the show. He never really registered when I was watching it, although that was before they started shoving him down our throats. I was definitely a Grover guy back in the day.

Edit: There's also the fact that kids have a wider variety of choices today.

I don't know if it's that a show like Sesame Street isn't relevant anymore, it's just that the recent seasons aren't nearly as good. I think they still show late 90s/early 2000s episodes on Sprout and my kids were really into those, but of course that was before our cable system started carrying Nick Jr. so I guess that's where the wider variety of choices plays in.

Oddly it doesn't even really have Elmo that much anymore, they put loving Telly front and center of all things and backloaded the show with all the little cut-away clips, introduced by "Murray" which can be best described as "Poochie in Muppet form". I guess Carrol Spinney is getting too old to do his muppets anymore, because Big Bird and Oscar rarely show up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sockser posted:

Well, like raditts said, they're putting together a Saturday morning block considering the DC Nation stuff of Green Lantern and Young Justice.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Does the Saturday morning stuff ever re-air or get posted somewhere other than a site where I have to find some code for my cable provider?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cartoon Network's site hasn't needed a cable provider code since last I checked.

It's kind of a shame that Cartoon Network has had some really good bumpers and framing devices like Toonami and such, but they are the absolute worst at advertising their own shows.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Symbionic-Titan hasnt even gotten a DVD/Blu-Ray set. It's also off the CN site entirely, you can't even get episodes through the general clips page anymore. It's like gone entirely erased from memory. But let it be known if is to be remembered for one thing, let it be this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW71JI6AZUA

But on the other hand, those DC nation Shorts own. I really liked the Supergirl/batgirl one. They did transfer the SUPERMAN IS A DICK concept to Supergirl and it works. Now I just wish they would make the DC nation shorts into an entire show like Anamaniacs, instead of inbetweeners.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Just saw and enjoyed the first three eps of Aquabats. Good show, I can't see myself eagerly counting down to it or anything but if it had came out when I was ten years old I could see myself getting a ton of enjoyment out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sockser posted:

Well that's new. :sigh:

I'm not sure that I can suggest anything else or it may be :filez: