Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

nsaP posted:

Down the street at your local dive bar.

I thought the multi meets were held at Starbucks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
Bad taste aside, is this a swap worth looking into?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nsaP posted:

Down the street at your local dive bar.

Thats the meeting for raked out front ends

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I thought the multi meets were held at Starbucks...

I read this as multimeters were held in Starbucks and come to think of it, that's a brilliant idea. "Hi can I get a double moccachino with caramel? And some blueberry oats cookies. And I need to borrow the multimeter please. Yeah, the speedo went dead and one of the injectors isn't squirting, not too bad."

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ola posted:

I read this as multimeters were held in Starbucks and come to think of it, that's a brilliant idea. "Hi can I get a double moccachino with caramel? And some blueberry oats cookies. And I need to borrow the multimeter please. Yeah, the speedo went dead and one of the injectors isn't squirting, not too bad."

Considering all of the hipster douchebags parked outside of the local java shops on crappily cafe'd bikes and Ducati's that may never see an oil change, they could charge for it and make money...

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A guy on a Can-Am gave me the motorcycle wave today. I didn't see it until it was too late. I'm sorry balding middle-aged Can-Am rider :smith:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh no :smith: I hate it when I unintentionally confirm other riders' potential insecurities.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Harley riders don't know what the gently caress when I wave with my chrome windscreen, spikezzz, and loud exhaust (PO, I swear I'm just too lazy and cheap to change them). :whatup:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Bixington posted:

Harley riders don't know what the gently caress when I wave with my chrome windscreen, spikezzz, and loud exhaust (PO, I swear I'm just too lazy and cheap to change them). :whatup:

Did you buy a nice red D675 with slight damage from a driveway tipover?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

SaNChEzZ posted:

Did you buy a nice red D675 with slight damage from a driveway tipover?

mootercycle?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

orthod0ks posted:

Bad taste aside, is this a swap worth looking into?

IMO, absolutely. Those engines are pretty solid, you're getting the better side of the deal financially, if you're looking to upgrade it doesn't get much better than that.

invision posted:

mootercycle?

Brilliant.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I took my favorite detour on the way home from work today. I was almost to the main road and I saw a guy pulled over on an R1 fiddling around in his rear seat storage. I figured I would stop and make sure he was ok, I was less than a 1/2 mile from the house where my truck was if he needed a hand.

I pull over and the guy looks up with his helmet on and I can tell he's saying something but I couldn't hear him through the helmet. After both of us trying to talk for about 45 seconds I stopped and pointed at him and gave a questionable thumbs up and Yelled, "Everything ok?" I don't think he heard me but he understood what I was getting at. He gave me a thumbs up and showed me his iPhone attached to a charging cable in the tail section signaling he was ok.

I always try to stop if I see a rider pulled over just in case they need a hand. I can't say how many time I've been pulled over in traffic or in the absolute middle of nowhere and somebody will stop. It's always the same, hey man you need a hand? I ride too.

Riding is so bad rear end!:allears:

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I took my Blast out with my girlfriend yesterday and she didn't do so hot. Mostly because of nerves I'm assuming. I started out with the engine off and in neutral, just letting her balance the bike. Then I had her foot it around a bit. I started up the engine and dropped it into 1st, and attempted to demonstrate how a clutch works. She didn't do so hot on this part. She just couldn't let it out gradually enough. After reverting to footing the bike around again, she dropped it. I was easygoing about it.

She's nervous about trying it again and I'm sure we will but I'm not sure if she's going to get the hang of it. I'm rooting for her though. I so desperately want to ride with somebody. :( Two up on a Blast sucks rear end. At least she was good about it when we went around the block. Much better than the last person I had up there who would not lean with me at all.

Anybody else have trouble teaching someone to ride?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I've only been riding about 2 days but I've already had somebody pull over to check up when I was on the side of the road.

The only thing wrong with my bike when I got it was that the low fuel light is always on, which the owner said he never bothered to fix because he fills up every 100-120 miles or so. I guess I just wasn't used to this and ran out of gas. The kicker was, it was literally at the top of a bridge. A very tall bridge. I had to coast down (embarassing) and pull over after getting off the bridge.

A biker saw me going the opposing direction and literally turned around when he hit the other side of the bridge to come back and make sure I was alright.

He was riding a HD and was nice as hell. I told him my friend I was riding with was turning around to come and I'm good. After that a cop pulled up with his lights on, somebody called about the stalled bike on the bridge. He hung around until my friend came and then left "so everybody driving by doesn't think you guys got pulled for racing or something".

I ended up calling a buddy that lived right down the road and getting enough gas from him to ride down to the gas station.

It was an embarassing situation and a learning experience. HD Biker was really cool, but I did take notice of his low top chucks and brain bucket.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I had someone stop and ask if I was ok when I pulled over to take a picture for the Riding Game thread today - nice chap. Just gave him a thumbs up and he went on his merry way with a smile and a wave.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The only thing wrong with my bike when I got it was that the low fuel light is always on, which the owner said he never bothered to fix because he fills up every 100-120 miles or so. I guess I just wasn't used to this and ran out of gas. The kicker was, it was literally at the top of a bridge. A very tall bridge. I had to coast down (embarassing) and pull over after getting off the bridge.

This happened to me, (the coasting down from a bridge) except that I had to wheel my bike about 6km uphill to the nearest bike garage, which took me about 2 or 3 hours. And lots of swearing. :cry:

Then I had to call my parents to come and pick me up because they were the only ones living nearby.

I wish I had one of these nice bikers stop and offer help, but nobody did!

Got a call from the mechanic "Yeah, one of your spark plugs went kaput. We've replaced them." the next morning.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Z3n posted:

IMO, absolutely. Those engines are pretty solid, you're getting the better side of the deal financially, if you're looking to upgrade it doesn't get much better than that.

Awesome. I'm pursuing it with him, so we'll see how it goes.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

astrollinthepork posted:

I took my Blast out with my girlfriend yesterday and she didn't do so hot. Mostly because of nerves I'm assuming. I started out with the engine off and in neutral, just letting her balance the bike. Then I had her foot it around a bit. I started up the engine and dropped it into 1st, and attempted to demonstrate how a clutch works. She didn't do so hot on this part. She just couldn't let it out gradually enough. After reverting to footing the bike around again, she dropped it. I was easygoing about it.

She's nervous about trying it again and I'm sure we will but I'm not sure if she's going to get the hang of it. I'm rooting for her though. I so desperately want to ride with somebody. :( Two up on a Blast sucks rear end. At least she was good about it when we went around the block. Much better than the last person I had up there who would not lean with me at all.

Why not buy her an MSF course and let a pro teach her? She might be nervous because she doesn't want to disappoint you or damage your bike. If it's some dinky small bike that's not yours and the people around her are strangers that are all trying to learn together, she might have an easier time learning.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

astrollinthepork posted:

Put her on the back of yours and take her for a ride, explain to her before you leave about controlling the bike. Go somewhere out of the way and show her how you shift, how you turn etc. My wife is just beginning to ride and she is scared shitless riding it by herself, but will ride with me happily. Once I realized that I just made a show of shifting and had her put her arms over mine as I steered so she could feel how it worked. It helps, she's learning slowly but that's OK. Once my wife understands and is comfortable with the controls she will be going to the MSF, until then she's playing in the dirt.

Better yet, sign her up for an MSF class and have her go learn how to ride from somebody that teaches people to ride. They may make her more comfortable than you will.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Shimrod posted:

I had someone stop and ask if I was ok when I pulled over to take a picture for the Riding Game thread today - nice chap. Just gave him a thumbs up and he went on his merry way with a smile and a wave.

That's happened to me constantly. When I wrecked and was brushing myself off, pickin up the pieces and trying to life up my bike, nothing from the three people who went past. Weird.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Once my wife understands and is comfortable with the controls she will be going to the MSF

Why? If the MSF is anything like the rider training course I took here in Ontario, they'll assume zero knowledge and start from scratch. Which is exactly where she is.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

epswing posted:

Why? If the MSF is anything like the rider training course I took here in Ontario, they'll assume zero knowledge and start from scratch. Which is exactly where she is.

My wife has pretty severe panic disorder. She doesn't do well around people she doesn't know. She can already drive a stick, we're just trying to get her head wrapped around the controls and how they work as it relates to a bike. For a normal person I usually say just go do the MSF and don't mess with it until after you've done it. In her case (and possibly in pork's case) if she doesn't already know enough to control the bike it won't work. She will get upset, then frustrated and will quit the class.

as a kid she took a header over her bike handlebars and lost her front 4 adult teeth. She has a bit of fear regarding bikes and that needs to be dealt with before she is really able to learn anything. Like I said though, this is all being done offroad and is pretty much just to get her comfortable going forward on a bike. The MSF instructor's job is to teach her to ride, not to overcome her fears. Expecting them to be able to teach her to ride and overcome her fear at the same time isn't really reasonable.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I'm pretty much teaching her as well as I can using the same methods the MSF would. My mindset is that I can devote more time to her than an instructor. She really likes the MSF idea though, and she agrees that it would help being around strangers that are learning too. I'm not too confident of that though. I think she would be more nervous than ever. I need to take the MSF too as I only did the class portion. That's what helped me learn more than anything else. I didn't really have anyone to teach me. I just read up everything I could, lurked CA for months, and just went for it. Knowing how motorcycle works helped me more than anything. Too bad there aren't any open classes until July.

In the meantime, we're going to go get her some gear today and try two up riding some more. A Blast isn't ideal, but we both had fun going around the block.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

astrollinthepork posted:

I'm pretty much teaching her as well as I can using the same methods the MSF would. My mindset is that I can devote more time to her than an instructor. She really likes the MSF idea though, and she agrees that it would help being around strangers that are learning too. I'm not too confident of that though. I think she would be more nervous than ever. I need to take the MSF too as I only did the class portion. That's what helped me learn more than anything else. I didn't really have anyone to teach me. I just read up everything I could, lurked CA for months, and just went for it. Knowing how motorcycle works helped me more than anything. Too bad there aren't any open classes until July.

In the meantime, we're going to go get her some gear today and try two up riding some more. A Blast isn't ideal, but we both had fun going around the block.

The problem isn't the big things, it's the little stuff that MSF teaches, plus the lack of pressure of having an SO sitting over your shoulder, on their bike, where you're worried about dropping it/etc.

The truth is, you're still a newer rider yourself, and you can devote all the time you want to her learning, but that's not going to be anywhere near as good as an instructor with a curriculum that will cover everything and years, if not decades of experience, a bike that can be dropped with zero consequences, financial or emotional. You've never taken the riding section of the course, how do you know you haven't ingrained bad habits that simply can't be recognized by book learning alone?

If you're serious about getting her into MSF, talk to them about getting in on standby. Nearly every MSF class has at least 1-2 people not show up, so if you're standing there on standby, you'll almost always get in.

And I don't even bother teaching people anymore. I just send them to MSF and then answer their questions after the fact. Getting that core foundation of habits is incredibly integral to becoming a safe, competent rider, and while MSF may have some failings, it's incredibly good at building that foundation.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

astrollinthepork posted:

The main issue is a new rider will develop bad habits, and if you have any you can pass those on to a new rider. We're not working on cornering or anything like that. All we're working on is understanding the controls and developing some finesse with the throttle, clutch and brake.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The main issue is a new rider will develop bad habits, and if you have any you can pass those on to a new rider. We're not working on cornering or anything like that. All we're working on is understanding the controls and developing some finesse with the throttle, clutch and brake.

This is pretty much the limit of what I will teach someone in a parking lot. You have a big parking lot, they get a small bike, and learn how to clutch, throttle, and brake, and make a big, careful loop. Then if they're stoked, they sign up for MSF. Parking lot training is only there to make sure they really want to try it before they plunk down the $150-$300 for MSF.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

This is pretty much the limit of what I will teach someone in a parking lot. You have a big parking lot, they get a small bike, and learn how to clutch, throttle, and brake, and make a big, careful loop. Then if they're stoked, they sign up for MSF. Parking lot training is only there to make sure they really want to try it before they plunk down the $150-$300 for MSF.

Yeah, we truck the smaller bike up to our favorite campground. She just tools around the campground real slowly. It's funny to watch her stop and start 20 times going in a straight line. I just give her a short exercise to practice each time we go and it seems to be helping. Last time out she got it into second!

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I took the MSF recently, and I have issues with social anxiety. Everyone was very encouraging and it was a good environment though. The thing I feel about the MSF is that it didn't really seem to teach you how to ride; it gives you tools to be able to safetly teach yourself. No one is going to stand over you and tell you exactly how much to turn the wheel or how much throttle to give, etc. If you're not motivated to focus and want to learn it, it's rather moot.

^^^oops, yeah see that would have been a good thing to learn before people step out into MSF, imo.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

epswing posted:

I dunno if I had bad teachers (aside from this one complaint, they were pretty good), but when I took my class, I couldn't drive stick (still can't), and had very little idea of how a clutch/shifting worked. This was never addressed. Luckily, I figured it out from whatever I'd absorbed from television or whatever, but I had a bitch of a time keeping the thing from stalling at first. Even when I asked what I was doing wrong, nobody understood my lack of understanding enough to actually explain.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

darkhand posted:

If you're not motivated to focus and want to learn it, it's rather moot.

Oh, you :allears:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
:getin:

I... I only half did it on purpose

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

orthod0ks posted:

I dunno if I had bad teachers (aside from this one complaint, they were pretty good), but when I took my class, I couldn't drive stick (still can't), and had very little idea of how a clutch/shifting worked. This was never addressed. Luckily, I figured it out from whatever I'd absorbed from television or whatever, but I had a bitch of a time keeping the thing from stalling at first. Even when I asked what I was doing wrong, nobody understood my lack of understanding enough to actually explain.

My course moved very quickly, and if I had not had some previous experience I may have found it a bit intimidating. At one point the instructor asked us to turn the fuel on and start the bikes. One rider had never ridden or used a petcock before and leaned down to look where it was. The instructor yelled at him to never look down like that while sitting on the bike. I thought it was a dick move, he has never ridden before and embarrassed him in front of the group.

LarryCsonka fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 20, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LarryCsonka posted:

The instructor yelled at him to never look down like that while sitting on the bike. I thought it was a dick move, he has never ridden before and embarrassed him on front of the group.

Wow, what a prick. Even a rider with decades of experience would probably look down on an unfamiliar bike just to see where the petcock actually was.

My MSF was pretty good. It was a really cold and rainy weekend so we didn't spend quite as long on some of the exercises as we normally would have, but everybody passed and only one person crashed (not badly). The very first thing was rolling down a slight hill with the engine off to learn how to put your feet up and use the brakes, followed by about an hour of just clutch practice -- start rolling, ride 10 feet, stop at the line, start again, ride to the next line, stop, etc. At least a third of the class had never driven a standard before and everyone figured it out by the end.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

orthod0ks posted:

LarryCsonka posted:

My course moved very quickly, and if I had not had some previous experience I may have found it a bit intimidating. At one point the instructor asked us to turn the fuel on and start the bikes. One rider had never ridden or used a petcock before and leaned down to look where it was. The instructor yelled at him to never look down like that while sitting on the bike. I thought it was a dick move, he has never ridden before and embarrassed him in front of the group.

You guys had bad MSF instructors. What was the schedule of your class like? I had a 3 day with instruction on friday night, early instruction on saturday morning then riding the rest of saturday and sunday.

We covered everything from their book in the classes. The instructor was a bit of a dick about the petcock thing, but from what I remember about the bikes it was something you were supposed to do off the bike. I believe they had us all do that at the same time.

If clutching and shifting wasn't covered tho there was definitely something wrong.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

LarryCsonka posted:

Yeah because you'd never look to your petcock while riding... It's not like the tank ever runs out and you need to switch it to reserve while riding to avoid eating that SUV...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah because you'd never look to your petcock while riding... It's not like the tank ever runs out and you need to switch it to reserve while riding to avoid eating that SUV...

Well, the instructor was right that you shouldn't be looking down at the petcock while you're riding. Target fixation and all that. Better to learn where it is by feel.

But yelling at a new rider, the first time he got on a bike, for looking down to find it while the bike was stationary? Total prick.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

Well, the instructor was right that you shouldn't be looking down at the petcock while you're riding. Target fixation and all that. Better to learn where it is by feel.

But yelling at a new rider, the first time he got on a bike, for looking down to find it while the bike was stationary? Total prick.

I always look down if I have to switch, it takes a bit of pressure to switch mine to res and if I push hard and miss it throws me off my line. I'm not worried about target fixating into my petcock....

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sagebrush posted:

Not sure if serious.

Edit: even better

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

Not sure if serious.

Edit: even better

Nice macro.

No, I didn't mean that you were going to target-fixate on your petcock and suck yourself into the gas tank and disappear into a singularity. It was kind of a brain-dead way of saying "the target you should be fixating on is the road ahead, not pieces of your motorcycle."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You shouldn't be fixating on any target. :confused: c/p meme