Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Darth Goku Jr posted:

No seriously go to Sam Adam's website and do a search for it, Wal-Mart is actually your best bet right now.

There arent very many wal-marts around DC... land is too expensive I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Are you not testing these out yourself before you serve them?

Not usually, I don't buy many repeat beers. It wasn't a serious tasting though, just having a cheese desert with friends and I happened to have an Old Viscosity in the fridge and thought, "I want to try this, I hope it goes okay with the cheese." Also, I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't care for Noble Pils.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 20, 2012

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
So I've got this Allagash interview tomorrow. If I'm hired I'll be their new tour guide. It's the first of two interviews, should I be successful.

Any advice on what brewhouse folk are looking for in a new hire? Appropriate attire for a meet'n greet brewery walkthrough type interview?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CalvinDooglas posted:

So I've got this Allagash interview tomorrow. If I'm hired I'll be their new tour guide. It's the first of two interviews, should I be successful.

Any advice on what brewhouse folk are looking for in a new hire? Appropriate attire for a meet'n greet brewery walkthrough type interview?

Do you have a beard? If not, welp.

(but no seriously good luck)

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Do you have a beard? If not, welp.

(but no seriously good luck)

I maintain a healthy stubble. Their previous tour guide was beardless, but I suspect that was mostly due to gender.

fishbone
Sep 25, 2003

CalvinDooglas posted:

I just took a weekend job doing tours for New Holland Brewing Co. I can tell you what seemed to help:
1) Homebrewing. If you can speak intelligently about the process and intricacies of brewing, you've got a huge head start.
2) Passion about their beer. Know all about their different offerings (I'm assuming you do already) and be ready to talk about how much you love their beer. Exaggerate (if you have to) about how much you love it.
3) Outgoing personality/confidence. They're going to be looking for someone that can speak effortlessly to a group of XX people. Part of that will be judged based on your ability to speak effortlessly in a one on one setting.

I wore a decent pair of jeans and a nice jacket. Don't go suit and tie.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Give it a little time, it released on Saturday and I'm pretty sure they kept it all to the brewery for that. They'll probably start shipping bottles soon if you're lucky enough to live somewhere they sell it. You don't want to drink it yet anyhow; it needs at least a few months in bottle to sour up and gain complexity.

Pretty much my stance. I have last years bottle still sitting there. I don't feel the need to do a North S.D. beer run just yet, so no excuse to go down to Lost Abbey and I know it'll show up in L.A. in massive amounts come two weeks or so.

Kern River Brewing is releasing another batch of Citra. 140 cases to be sold at the brewery only. drat I'm tempted to make the 3 hour drive up there. It's drat well good enough to warrant its GABF medal and it's a nice drive once you get past Bakersfield.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Have you had any of their coolship beers? That might be something you could talk about, if you have.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Last night I had Nugget Nectar for the first time. Excellent.

Also I had The Brew Kettle's Old 21 IIPA. Very good. Similar in taste to White Rajah. Not sure if its worth the extra money (9.99 for a 4 pack vs 10.99 for a 6 pack of White Rajah, it is 9% ABV instead of 6.8% though) because I still think White Rajah tastes better.

Also had a Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard on draft over the weekend for the first time, very good. I don't know why I was unsure if I'd like it, pretty much every Stone beer I've had has been good.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Have you had any of their coolship beers? That might be something you could talk about, if you have.

Unfortunately not, as none have been released yet except limited taps at brewery events. I plan to harp on how much I love their Tripel.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

CalvinDooglas posted:

Unfortunately not, as none have been released yet except limited taps at brewery events. I plan to harp on how much I love their Tripel.

They have bottled a number of the coolship beers that were brewery-only releases in very small numbers.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Damnit, forgot Whole Foods near me was getting in some KBS... all gone now

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

CalvinDooglas posted:

WEAR CASUAL CLOTHES. Nothing turns off brewers like a guy who comes to a brewery job interview in a dress shirt and slacks. If you're just going to be a tour guide, wear a decent polo and khakis, but nothing above that. If you're going to be involved in any sort of brewery work, the more "working man" you look the better. Kosher Man will back me up on this.

Show a passion for beer in general, along with a lot of knowledge - in particular, a knowledge of their beer. Some breweries will quiz you on their history and their products, and if you're going to be a tour guide it'll be especially vital to know that stuff. Do your research beforehand - I've lost jobs by not doing so. Better yet, have some questions prepared that you can ask about their particular process and such - potential employers eat that up, especially in the brewing industry.

Be assertive and confident. It's generic advice for any interview, but if you're going to do a lot of public speaking you need to sell that poo poo. But make a point of not acting like King poo poo of gently caress Mountain - breweries like people who are personable and friendly, and who work well as part of a team. It's the mentality that people expect from a brewery, and craft breweries tend to be close-knit and friendly workplaces.

Also grow a beard and don't get drunk during the interview. :v:

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 21, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Mahoning posted:

Also I had The Brew Kettle's Old 21 IIPA. Very good. Similar in taste to White Rajah. Not sure if its worth the extra money (9.99 for a 4 pack vs 10.99 for a 6 pack of White Rajah, it is 9% ABV instead of 6.8% though) because I still think White Rajah tastes better.

I prefer White Rajah more, but Old 21 is really good, too. It definitely costs more simply cause it's higher ABV, and as a result it's more costly to make.

I feel like you get more TBK near you than I do, and I'm pretty sure I live closer! The whole problem is people buy stuff up super quickly around here when it hits the shelves, so unless I happen to check the store every day I usually miss it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

rage-saq posted:

They have bottled a number of the coolship beers that were brewery-only releases in very small numbers.

They had some in bottles at Night of Great Thirst, too.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I'm drinking a 2007 Brooklyn Monster Ale and there are a bunch of black flecks in my glass. Any idea what they could be?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

They had some in bottles at Night of Great Thirst, too.

Must have been extremely limited. The Website just says they haven't sold any, which I took to mean bottled/distributed.

I'm glad I went on an Allagash tour last fall because I got to mention parts of it specifically in my cover letter. I think I got invited to interview in part because of the sentence "I have been on the Allagash tour before and found your brewing facility awesome. Especially the room with the ginormous barrel."

I'm pretty sure I'll never get to use "ginormous" in a cover letter again.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

CalvinDooglas posted:

And that is why the brewing industry rules. :D

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

internet celebrity posted:

I'm drinking a 2007 Brooklyn Monster Ale and there are a bunch of black flecks in my glass. Any idea what they could be?

Pepper flakes.

I kid, that's probably just sediment. I had an '08 Monster with some junk in the bottom not too long ago. Probably just tends to settle a lot.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

CalvinDooglas posted:

Must have been extremely limited. The Website just says they haven't sold any, which I took to mean bottled/distributed.

I'm glad I went on an Allagash tour last fall because I got to mention parts of it specifically in my cover letter. I think I got invited to interview in part because of the sentence "I have been on the Allagash tour before and found your brewing facility awesome. Especially the room with the ginormous barrel."

I have not much to say but good luck!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

CalvinDooglas posted:

interview

i asked my friend who's big on the Maine beer scene if he had any tips and his response was "Nothing in particular. Despite the rave reviews and monkish Belgian appearance, the folks at Allagash seem to be pretty drat chill. I'd say just go in relaxed, and brush up a bit on Belgian styles and barrel aging before heading over."

in other words, what Ubik said.

the Coolship stuff is very limited, but yes, they bottle and sell it. sitting on a couple, myself!

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

RiggenBlaque posted:

"Horse blanket" is a stupid loving term people made up. I can't really describe the actual smell since I'm very bad at these things, but go drink an Orval and then whenever you smell things that remind you of that beer, you'll be able to claim you detect horse blanket.

I coined the delicious term "smelly horse feet".

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
So my parents-in-law know I'm a beer enthusiast so they got me a very thoughtful gift. A four pack of those Sam Adams glasses. I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to glassware. It has the tulip shape and etching on the bottom of the glass but I've never actually tried one of these. Any thoughts?

You know the ones:

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
When I was first interviewing for jobs and trying to get into the industry I found the worst I dressed the better the chances of a job offer were.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Seaniqua posted:

So my parents-in-law know I'm a beer enthusiast so they got me a very thoughtful gift. A four pack of those Sam Adams glasses. I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to glassware. It has the tulip shape and etching on the bottom of the glass but I've never actually tried one of these. Any thoughts?

You know the ones:

SA Perfect pint glasses are pretty good, nothing wrong with them!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kudosx posted:

I prefer White Rajah more, but Old 21 is really good, too. It definitely costs more simply cause it's higher ABV, and as a result it's more costly to make.

I feel like you get more TBK near you than I do, and I'm pretty sure I live closer! The whole problem is people buy stuff up super quickly around here when it hits the shelves, so unless I happen to check the store every day I usually miss it.

Well the last 4 times I went to the grocery store I only found 4 C's and no White Rajah. On Monday I found a single bottle of WR and 1 4 pack of Old 21. So it definitely goes fast and sometimes I get lucky. I'm sure Kroger has some buying power too, since it's the largest grocery store chain in the country.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Mahoning posted:

Well the last 4 times I went to the grocery store I only found 4 C's and no White Rajah. On Monday I found a single bottle of WR and 1 4 pack of Old 21. So it definitely goes fast and sometimes I get lucky. I'm sure Kroger has some buying power too, since it's the largest grocery store chain in the country.

Have you tried 4C's yet? I've only tried it once, but I thought it was really good. Probably my favorite brew from TBK behind White Rajah, and Old 21, respectively. I haven't tried many APAs to compare it to, so I'm not entirely sure how good of a judge I am of the style.

Edit: For whatever reason I decided to look up the reviews of 4 C's on BA, and one of the reviews is absolutely hilarious.

"A tasty beer, but a bit pricey at $10/six pack. It's not a terrible price, but I would have this all the time if it were a bit cheaper."

Really? $10/sixer is pricey for ya? Maybe you shouldn't drink good beer.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 21, 2012

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Kudosx posted:

Have you tried 4C's yet? I've only tried it once, but I thought it was really good. Probably my favorite brew from TBK behind White Rajah, and Old 21, respectively. I haven't tried many APAs to compare it to, so I'm not entirely sure how good of a judge I am of the style.

Edit: For whatever reason I decided to look up the reviews of 4 C's on BA, and one of the reviews is absolutely hilarious.

"A tasty beer, but a bit pricey at $10/six pack. It's not a terrible price, but I would have this all the time if it were a bit cheaper."

Really? $10/sixer is pricey for ya? Maybe you shouldn't drink good beer.

Dale's is 10.50 here :(

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:
10.50 can be expensive for a beer, but if that's six 12 oz beers, it should hopefully be a drat good beer to justify that price tag (and 90% of the time it does). Equivalent to alcohol, that's 1.5 bottles of wine (and that's if it's normal strength, if we're talking IIPA it'll probably be over two bottles worth of wine). long story short $11 for a drat good bottle of wine would be a steal. I don't get the disconnect people have with the prices.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

$10 is on the high end of what I'm willing to pay for a beer that isn't a limited release or barrel aged or something. When I can get a sixpack from a world-class brewery like Deschutes or New Belgium for less than $8, yes, $10 is pricey. Not outrageous by any means, but pricey. Sorry for being a poor plebe who has expenses in his life besides booze.

vvv Edit: I should add that I am spoiled to live in an area where beer is hella cheap, which I totally acknowledge.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 21, 2012

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Where I live, everything is so overpriced that I literally don't notice what a six pack costs if it's under $14

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Docjowles posted:

$10 is on the high end of what I'm willing to pay for a beer that isn't a limited release or barrel aged or something. When I can get a sixpack from a world-class brewery like Deschutes or New Belgium for less than $8, yes, $10 is pricey. Not outrageous by any means, but pricey. Sorry for being a poor plebe who has expenses in his life besides booze.

I don't think that's what people are saying. Personally, I can't find a 6 pack of craft beer for much less than $10. It's not about spending more as a choice (which I do) but the cost of beer in my area (Chicago).

While I understand that the cost to manufacture wine is much higher, I've never understood why people are so willing to spend $20 without blinking on a bottle of wine but beer geeks cringe at a store charging more than $13 for a bomber. I've gotten shocked looks when I tell people I've paid $30 for a bomber at a bar. "For beer?" Yes, for beer. I've also thrown down $100 for a bottle of wine, but that's to be expected I guess...

Goose Island took a lot of heat for MSRPing BCS Rare at $40. First of all, it's worth it (maybe the best beer I've ever had). Second of all, that "greed" is no worse than what happens weekly at beer releases amongst the beer geeks. Standing in line for a couple of hours to pay $15 for a bottle then immediately putting it up on ebay for 5 times that? Ask Flossmoor Station's brewmaster how he took that news during this year's BA Hi-Fi release...

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a hard time paying $10 for a 6 pack, but oddly enough I don't mind paying the upcharge to build my own 6 pack. $15 for a 6 pack isn't rare for me, thankfully most places are starting to give 10% discounts on full mixed 6 packs so it helps relieve some of the "single tax."

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Docjowles posted:

I live in OH and we have some of the lowest living costs in the country and the cheapest *good* beer I can find is $9/6 pack.

Either way, I don't think an extra $2/6 pack is anything outrageous. The brewery that produces the beer I was talking about is extremely small, and I think people are even lucky to be able to buy their beer in stores across OH.

I'm honestly blown away that Deschutes stuff costs less than $8/sixer. I've never tried anything from them, but from what I understand is that they produce a lot of world class stuff. The "cheapest" beer I was talking about is from GLBC, everything else is $10/six or higher. I often find myself paying $11-$13 for six packs. OH also has some of the best beer distribution around as far as selection wise, so I'd think that beer would be a little cheaper around here. I guess we just don't have the stupid amount of breweries in such a small geographical area, like you do on the west coast.

Edit: gently caress, of course the last week and a half of the month when I'm broke as hell my local store got in some Sculpin. I've never seen Ballast Point at ANY stores around here, doh! I hope they get some in again sometime...

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 21, 2012

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The funny thing is a lot of those same people who bitch about craft beer being too expensive to buy probably go to bars and pay $3-6 for a single 12oz Bud Light/Miller Lite/Coors Light.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kudosx posted:

I live in OH and we have some of the lowest living costs in the country and the cheapest *good* beer I can find is $9/6 pack.

Either way, I don't think an extra $2/6 pack is anything outrageous. The brewery that produces the beer I was talking about is extremely small, and I think people are even lucky to be able to buy their beer in stores across OH.

I'm honestly blown away that Deschutes stuff costs less than $8/sixer. I've never tried anything from them, but from what I understand is that they produce a lot of world class stuff. The "cheapest" beer I was talking about is from GLBC, everything else is $10/six or higher. I often find myself paying $11-$13 for six packs. OH also has some of the best beer distribution around as far as selection wise, so I'd think that beer would be a little cheaper around here. I guess we just don't have the stupid amount of breweries in such a small geographical area, like you do on the west coast.

Edit: gently caress, of course the last week and a half of the month when I'm broke as hell my local store got in some Sculpin. I've never seen Ballast Point at ANY stores around here, doh! I hope they get some in again sometime...
They only started distribution there like three weeks ago, so that would be why.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Catch myself paying 10-12 for 4-packs :suicide:

no regrets

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Angry Grimace posted:

They only started distribution there like three weeks ago, so that would be why.

Ah, that makes sense. This is the first I've seen any of the stores around me get it in (I check facebook/twitter pages religiously), so hopefully we'll get Sculpin in somewhat regularly!

TenaciousTomato posted:

Catch myself paying 10-12 for 4-packs :suicide:

Same! I also live close to Hoppin' Frog, who has some of the most expensive non-limited release beers around, so I often pay $8-$12 for a bomber of stuff I can get anytime I want :smith:

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
The most I have paid is $18.99 for a 4 of Duvel, although it was definitely worth it :laugh:

e: so I've been buying 12s of Brooklyn Lager/Party Mix and got a Westmalle Dubbel that I haven't tried yet for tomorrow. Their triple was very good.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TenaciousTomato posted:

The most I have paid is $18.99 for a 4 of Duvel, although it was definitely worth it :laugh:

$150 for a 6-pack of Eclipse (Elijah Craig 18, Elijah Craigh 12, Rittenhouse Rye, Grand Cru, Four Roses, Brandy).

Those are 750s, at least.

And $50 for a Westvleteren 12 at White Horse in London, but I was there on business and wasn't paying for meals, hotel rooms, or plane tickets. So, sure, what the hell.