Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

ijustam posted:

Do Locomotives have to rev up the engine when the notch up in dynamic braking? Like if you went from notch 8 forward to dynamic, would you have to notch to 0, then hit the dynamic braking lever, and then back to 8?
You slowly notch down from power 8 to idle, wait/count 10 seconds to allow inductive discharge to drain down to keep the massive solenoids and circuits from being damaged from the inductive kick of the switchover. Then move to setup which is dynamic's version of the same "bottom" or zero notch as idle serves in the power notches. You can hear the relays clunking, see things happening on the indicators, then you begin putting it into dynamic. Dynamic's notches are not clicks like the power notches, it is a full analog variable load.

SGNL06 posted:

The engine will actually rev up as you increase DB effort. The main alternator is used to excite the fields in the traction motors, so with more excitation you get more braking effort out of the motors. That's how I understand it at least, I'm more mechanic than electrician.
This is correct. Exactly what he said. Just to be clear, as has been mentioned earlier, this dynamic braking effort energy is sent to the massive carbon piles (grid) that the massive fan I mentioned earlier is trying to super cool. The traction motors generating all the energy get very warm also.

Much of the engine spin-up you hear is related not only to the main alternator exciting the traction motor fields, and that big dynamic grid fan, but also many other fans or system of ducts from another fan to cool the 6 traction motors.

Often after stopping after descending a long grade in heavy dynamic, the engine will maintain a high RPM idle to continue the traction motor cooling process. Sometimes only 5 minutes, sometimes for 30 or 40 minutes.

SouthLAnd posted:

Is the high pitched "jet engine" sound in this video what you're referring to? I always thought it was turbocharger noise.

Still amazingly cool.

Perfect example. Yes that is what you are hearing. The concerto dei freni dinamici.(Apologies for possibly bad Italian).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
poo poo exploding.
http://youtu.be/mCk21G2LR-M

AI as gently caress :coal:. Melting dynamic brake grids are loving awesome.

poo poo on fire.
http://youtu.be/UYpXwLg5GeM

A while back we had an old Dash-8 narrow cab that would either shoot flames at notch 5 or higher and throw sparks at 1/4 effort of dynamic breaks.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I had a spectacular failure last winter that damaged so much in the generator/alternator/electrical cabinet that it caused me to have to evacuate the train.

I placed my train into emergency (which broke it in two), hit the emergency shutdown for all the units, and we evacuated to the porch of a nearby porch of a closed hotel to take shelter from the 9 degree F temperatures and 45 mph winds.

Three fire departments showed up and had a hell of a time putting out the metal fire. The smoke was toxic.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 16, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
A few really nice photos here:

American Railroads of the 1940s

EDIT - found a HUGE version of the second image on wikipedia:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/JackDelanolocomotiveshop.jpg

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
That site and those pictures are awesome.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
drat, awesome pictures.

It's funny that there is so much romanticism associated with railroads/steam engines of that time, but looking at those pictures it's clear that working with steam engines was a drat dirty, and hard business.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
What is a foamer you ask?

This is a foamer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhYXNwvcl6A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c3NqnEX6vY

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Very old aerial picture of the Cheyenne, WY yard

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
So on my beer and smokes run this morning, I happened to see a high-rail zip by, and started digging for my camera as a second zipped past.

After a third went by, I gave up on digging because it wasn't in my bag anyway, and then this... thing... this glorious ORANGE thing that looks like a CITY BUS coasted gracefully on by.

This is CONRAIL/NFS in Central PA.

Can someone tell me what the bus-sized unit was/does?

The three in front all had serious weights front and back, so I think its measuring the track positions?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Maybe a geometry car?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Shampoo posted:

Maybe a geometry car?

That's Correct.

I have a little inside joke with myself about it.. my elementary school had an RV (and now a bluebird bus)parked next to the building that they use as an auxiliary classroom, mostly for remedial reading lessons and speech therapy. We called it the 'Reading Van'. So, the Geometry Car must be where the little railroaders go for trigonometry.

It goes without saying, I won't share this with the guys I work with.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Shampoo posted:

Maybe a geometry car?

GIS-ing that, yep, that's what it had to be. Thanks! (I wish I had my camera now, damnit.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

B4Ctom1 posted:

This is a foamer

Ahahahaha holy poo poo. Trains are cool and all but come on, that guy sounds like he's actively jizzing.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ahahahaha holy poo poo. Trains are cool and all but come on, that guy sounds like he's actively jizzing.

I must incorporate the term "actively jizzing" into a romantic encounter now.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

This is a foamer

That guy takes it above and beyond.

This summer, we were detouring over another RR because of all the flooding down south. So that really drug the foamers out. And then to add fuel to the fire, I had a consist of a UP engine, a patched Southern Pacific engine, and a patched CNW engine all on the head end. We were followed for roughly 170 some miles by the same group of people....

Also the new SD70ACe's are loving rattle traps. And I want to know the genius that thought it would be a good idea to stick the breakers in completely separate compartment on the outside of the engine.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This summer, we were detouring over another RR because of all the flooding down south. So that really drug the foamers out. And then to add fuel to the fire, I had a consist of a UP engine, a patched Southern Pacific engine, and a patched CNW engine all on the head end. We were followed for roughly 170 some miles by the same group of people....

Also the new SD70ACe's are loving rattle traps. And I want to know the genius that thought it would be a good idea to stick the breakers in completely separate compartment on the outside of the engine.
The 8000 numbered ones will make your back hurt! :(

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This would make me paranoid. Oh man I'm being followed by the mob :tinfoil:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I知 back, and for that I am sorry

B4Ctom1 posted:

This is a foamer

Somebody please make a parody on their Christmas layout.

"OH GOD I'VE BEEN WAITING ALL YEAR FOR THIS! I'M FINALLY GOING TO GET A POLAR EXPRESS LOCOMOTIVE ON CAMERA! OH MAN, IT'S COMING BACK AROUND AGAIN! YEEEAAAAHHHHH!'

Bonus points for a crying 3 year old in the background.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

IOwnCalculus posted:

DOUBLE MOTORS WHAT DOES IT MEAN???

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

The 8000 numbered ones will make your back hurt! :(

Do you miss the brown seats? Because those black ones are killer on the back. The 4000's have a mix between brown and black.

Just brought brought down a 28,000 ton sand train. 189 cars, about 12,000 foot. Mostly short little sand cars though. drat thing would take off on you unless you were paying attention. 3 AC4400's in the front, 2 AC4400's in the middle and 2 AC4400's in the rear. I don't know if I spent more time on the throttle or setting up a fence to keep the train together. At one point my head end was cresting a hill, the middle portion was at the bottom of the hill and the rear end cresting a hog back.

At one point I had the head consist in notch 5, the middle in notch 3 and the rears in notch 5. Mountain guys have it so much easier. Either your in full power or full dynamic braking.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Anybody cruising through Reno? Watch out for the International tri-drive semi-truck/train engine working the gap between Fernley and Reno. First time I saw it I was like what the gently caress is he doing, then I noticed he's pushing some cars around.

They've really been working bunches through there. Not sure what Uncle Pete is up too, but I swear they just did a shitload of work there last year, and are redoing it all again.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Do you miss the brown seats? Because those black ones are killer on the back. The 4000's have a mix between brown and black.

Just brought brought down a 28,000 ton sand train. 189 cars, about 12,000 foot. Mostly short little sand cars though. drat thing would take off on you unless you were paying attention. 3 AC4400's in the front, 2 AC4400's in the middle and 2 AC4400's in the rear. I don't know if I spent more time on the throttle or setting up a fence to keep the train together. At one point my head end was cresting a hill, the middle portion was at the bottom of the hill and the rear end cresting a hog back.

At one point I had the head consist in notch 5, the middle in notch 3 and the rears in notch 5. Mountain guys have it so much easier. Either your in full power or full dynamic braking.
We had comfy brown ones on the SD70M (3900 to low 5000 series) but they were not durable.

We have these new brown ones that are also comfy. Hoping they are more durable.

It is my understanding that the black USSC seats are all done.They are being phased out as we speak. I am told the USSC CEO left the meeting telling him of this crying.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Are the seats in locomotives air-ride like in trucks?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ijustam posted:

HA! I wish. They are bolted right to the floor.

Though the CN has about the best units... Most have microwaves and tea kettles. They are good for us sacks that are stuck cooking with turbo's

http://www.nebraska-locksmith.com/articles/ManifoldM.pdf

yes, we do that crap. I mostly have my food pre made and warm them up.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

HA! I wish. They are bolted right to the floor.

Though the CN has about the best units... Most have microwaves and tea kettles. They are good for us sacks that are stuck cooking with turbo's

http://www.nebraska-locksmith.com/articles/ManifoldM.pdf

yes, we do that crap. I mostly have my food pre made and warm them up.

I can tell you have shitters in your engines, because no loving truck driver would be so loving insane to eat a meal like that and try to drive.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

ijustam posted:

At any given time the railroad probably has numerous government and liability complaints about the safety of locomotive seats. Installing air ride seats would be the fix. ptting in air ride seats now would be a huge admittance of guilt on their part.

I read something a while back that a few new locomotives a while back came equipped with these seats and they quickly (and attempted secretly) to swap them out for non air ride seats.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.kearneyhub.com/news/local/article_76c980fc-71d4-11e1-a786-0019bb2963f4.html

The worlds biggest rail yard:

quote:

NORTH PLATTE - A pair of tornadoes in the North Platte, Neb., area Sunday night injured two people, damaged homes and other buildings, knocked over a semi on Interstate 80 and flipped 15 train cars in a Union Pacific rail yard, authorities said.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

InterceptorV8 posted:

I can tell you have shitters in your engines, because no loving truck driver would be so loving insane to eat a meal like that and try to drive.

So when I see tractors parked on the shoulder of interstate off ramps that's whats going on huh.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

At any given time the railroad probably has numerous government and liability complaints about the safety of locomotive seats. Installing air ride seats would be the fix. ptting in air ride seats now would be a huge admittance of guilt on their part.

I read something a while back that a few new locomotives a while back came equipped with these seats and they quickly (and attempted secretly) to swap them out for non air ride seats.

:psyduck: that's terrible

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

They're goin' home! They're goin' home!
All of CP's GEs have air-ride seats. They might not be as nice as the newer truck seats or whatever, but they are most definitely not just bolted to the floor.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ijustam posted:

:psyduck: that's terrible

If you work for the railroad its pretty well known that they openly hate their employees. I know most companies at least act like they care for you, but this place openly hates you. Your just a number and a liability. Do some reading on FELA (federal employees liability). Basically they just place any blame on the employee.

Honestly, most guys that work here hate the company but do love what they do for a living. I really do running engines, and there are not very many people that work for the railroad. If you want to do some reading, look up a book called Railroad Noir by Linda Neimann.

Oh and for people who are concerned about crappers, we do have them! The best ones are the air powered flushers, like a plane. They stay about the cleanest, the chemical toilets can get down right nasty... think porta potty style, but baking and sloshing around for a good couple of weeks.

Among rails, its very socially unacceptable to poop in the lead unit. Every one craps on the second unit. If you do, you end up with a nickname. And this is a place that remembers a nick name better than your real name.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If you work for the railroad its pretty well known that they openly hate their employees. I know most companies at least act like they care for you, but this place openly hates you. Your just a number and a liability. Do some reading on FELA (federal employees liability). Basically they just place any blame on the employee.

Honestly, most guys that work here hate the company but do love what they do for a living. I really do running engines, and there are not very many people that work for the railroad. If you want to do some reading, look up a book called Railroad Noir by Linda Neimann.

Oh and for people who are concerned about crappers, we do have them! The best ones are the air powered flushers, like a plane. They stay about the cleanest, the chemical toilets can get down right nasty... think porta potty style, but baking and sloshing around for a good couple of weeks.

Among rails, its very socially unacceptable to poop in the lead unit. Every one craps on the second unit. If you do, you end up with a nickname. And this is a place that remembers a nick name better than your real name.

Learn something new each day. That's kinda hosed up they don't at least clean them more than once a week.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Railroads are union, right? RIGHT?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I wanted to be a train engineer when I was a child, and now I'm kind of glad I didn't chase after that dream because it probably wouldn't have been all I had dreamed of unless I worked for some scenic railroad like the Huckleberry Railroad or somewhere else.

You guys are troopers for what you do.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Our locos have air-ride seats in most of them (the newer ones, basically) and we've had extensive work done to try to combat the smell in the chemical-based shitters.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
I have once ridden on the Russian "bullet" train from Moscow to St Petersburg. I was amazed that the "toilet" was an open hole where you poo poo onto the rails at 150+ mph. The suction and noise is extreme. I wasn't in VIP class tho.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Just read this
http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/osha/OSHA20120410.htm

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

I have once ridden on the Russian "bullet" train from Moscow to St Petersburg. I was amazed that the "toilet" was an open hole where you poo poo onto the rails at 150+ mph. The suction and noise is extreme. I wasn't in VIP class tho.

Sounds like the Russian cure for constipation!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I知 back, and for that I am sorry

Remind me not to leave a ruble on that track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

OSHA has been coming down hard on companies that gently caress with whistle blowers. OSHA nailed some rinky-dink trucking outfit in FL for firing a driver that wouldn't drive two trucks that should have been red tagged. $125,000 in damages, two years of wages, full reinstatement and the trucking company has to clean the drivers DAC.

I'm also guessing that's why you don't poo poo in the lead engine.