Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Any idea if this will ever be downloadable? I really like it so far, but I would love to be able to play it without the need for a browser. Its not a huge issue by any means, but it would be nice.

Other then that, this thread has taught me more about the game then the in game help has, but I understand that a) That can be the fun of some games, but with the clunky UI at the moment, its a bit rough first time though. b) Its a work in progress.

Can't wait to play some more. Thanks for spreading the word!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

New character penalty: OCD, unable to leave a tile if it's in a mess.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Is it just me or does loading not work sometimes? I make sure I save a game and when I reload all I get is a black screen, nothing is clickable and only the Escape key works. Perhaps I'm just doing something wrong though

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Seashell Salesman posted:

They respawn new scavenge-able areas pretty much constantly.

Holy crap, really? I didn't know scavenging respawned. Although in my defense, I don't ever stick around and am constantly out exploring, exploring and never staying in the same place is part of the appeal to me. This might change in the future though as player camp features are added.

tehsid posted:

Any idea if this will ever be downloadable? I really like it so far, but I would love to be able to play it without the need for a browser.

I read a response to this on the official forums (I think) by Dan. I don't want to put words in his mouth but I believe he is considering looking into it when the game is fully released, he used Machinarium as an example (that is standalone but is also built on Flash).

SynthOrange posted:

New character penalty: OCD, unable to leave a tile if it's in a mess.

Don't even joke about that. That's the type of trait I would probably take, at my detriment.

WarringPhoenix posted:

Is it just me or does loading not work sometimes?

What you described is exactly what happens when you load with no save data. I know because the first thing I did on the new build was try to load a game when I hadn't even played. So my guess would probably be that the data isn't being correctly saved in the first place. Are you sure Flash is allowed to save data? What about any installed addons that cleanup/block "Flash cookies"?

e: VVVVVV It's a known bug with the Demo. I know that doesn't help much but it doesn't change anything in the game, only the Game Over screen.

Xik fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 20, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I just got beaten with a monkey wrench until I died of starvation, heat stroke, and dehydration. Which is weird, because I was feeling fine before I got repeatedly beaten with a monkey wrench.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Random thoughts:

Skill ranks - Skills have three ranks (Basic, expert, master) that increase your odds of succeeding and maybe unlock new abilities. Every time you successfully use a skill you have a (very) small chance of that skill improving to the next level.

Skill books - You can find books like 'Home Electronics' or 'Idiot's Guide to Hunting and Fishing'. As long as the book is in your inventory you are granted the basic level of the skill it is about. But books are large, like the size of the ipads and take up a lot of inventory room. For each hour you rest there is like a 1% chance of you having studied the book enough to gain the skill in question at a basic level. At that point you might as well toss the book, because books can never teach you more then basic skill.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Somehow this game is so great. I don't understand how much I enjoy it.

e: check out this hilarious buy/sell bug

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 21, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Somehow this game is so great. I don't understand how much I enjoy it.

It's great isn't it?

e: check out this hilarious buy/sell bug

Do tell us more :allears:

e: News update on the site.

Looks like that blank screen Save Game issue that WarringPhoenix posted about is a bug with the actual save feature and not something to do with saving flash data as I thought it was, sorry :shobon:

Player voting has a couple of new options.
  • Expand the wound system
  • Expand combat system
Also, I'm not sure, but is "Winter Tiles" and "Name your character" new? The News post doesn't mention them but I don't remember seeing them there before.

Xik fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 21, 2012

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Xik posted:

Also, I'm not sure, but is "Winter Tiles" and "Name your character" new? The News post doesn't mention them but I don't remember seeing them there before.
Not sure about the winter tiles, but the naming thing was there before. :)

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
"Name your character" isn't a new option but I think "winter tiles" is.

e:fb

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Well... at least the saves work sometimes.

Also a tip for any new player to this with the urge to learn a ton of recipes. If you find any scraps of news papers with stuff on them, just keep putting them in your hand and putting them back. Usually they give you a new recipe every now and then and there is nothing like leaving the first area with four ways to make a hunting rifle.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Is there something I'm missing about combat/healing or is it totally worthless? I don't see any point in taking combat skills, because there's no opportunity to heal unless I specced medic and I'm going to be hosed after the first fight whether I killed the other guy or not. Nothing like attacking an unarmed bandit with a meat cleaver and coming out mortally wounded every goddamn time.

I figure I must be missing something because I can't imagine getting far enough that I'd want to save the game.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 21, 2012

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
This game is really interesting! Like many have said before me, the interface could use a little overhaul though. I also find it hard to figure out some basic stuff. Like I found a rifle scope and sling, but I couldn't attach it without a multitool and screws. Some flavor text would be nice there, like

"Looks like the screws are broken on the sight, gotta find some new ones, and a tool."

Or some stuff like that.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Is there something I'm missing about combat/healing or is it totally worthless? I don't see any point in taking combat skills, because there's no opportunity to heal unless I specced medic and I'm going to be hosed after the first fight whether I killed the other guy or not. Nothing like attacking an unarmed bandit with a meat cleaver and coming out mortally wounded every goddamn time.

I figure I must be missing something because I can't imagine getting far enough that I'd want to save the game.

Yeah, I gotta say, these looters feel way overpowered. Even when I'm in excellent condition, with a better weapon than them, I get killed/mortally wounded every time.

I just woke up from cryosleep. I've got a full stomach, and I'm well rested. These guys have been scavenging for cholera dirt for the last few years. Shouldn't I have a bit more of a combat advantage? At least until the starvation/diseases start to come into play.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

WarringPhoenix posted:

Well... at least the saves work sometimes.

Also a tip for any new player to this with the urge to learn a ton of recipes. If you find any scraps of news papers with stuff on them, just keep putting them in your hand and putting them back. Usually they give you a new recipe every now and then and there is nothing like leaving the first area with four ways to make a hunting rifle.

I have never seen a scrap of paper. Ever. I know what it's supposed to look like, I've just never actually found one. Am I looking in the wrong spots?

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
I've had better results by clubbing the bandits with tree branches than using the cleaver or knife, but they are pretty tough regardless. I don't think I've had a melee battle where my dude came away unscathed. Usually I just avoid combat like the plague (UnReal World instincts) unless I badly need supplies, and even then a well-stocked shack is preferable.

I finally got together a scoped slung rifle and loaded it up with bullets, but the ammo counter still reads 0. Are there different bullet types? I thought they were all .308 FMJ but the gun doesn't seem to like them.

^^ They seem to spawn in pretty much every scavengable square, but I'm not certain if they're in the demo, if you're playing that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
There are different kinds of bullets, keep cycling through your weapons. Also make sure you actually loaded the rifle

Game is pretty interesting, but kind of repetative. I guess it wouldn't be fun if lots of lootable places had great stuff in them but it can get kind of boring to keep looting places and only finding empty bottles and a newspaper

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The annoying bug where if you have a decent number of recipes known the entire right side of your screen becomes unusable because they stay there on the map is still there. :sigh: Sort of doomed a character I was playing on for a while.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Can anyone post a map with the location of the urn quest lake(?)? I've already bypassed the quest by using Tracking at the Hatter's but I didn't get the location and want to see what's there. Does it only appear when I get told about it?

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Pierzak posted:

Can anyone post a map with the location of the urn quest lake(?)? I've already bypassed the quest by using Tracking at the Hatter's but I didn't get the location and want to see what's there. Does it only appear when I get told about it?

I don't think that quest exists yet - we're super early days on this game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

UncleSmoothie posted:

I don't think that quest exists yet - we're super early days on this game.
I've already gotten this quest on a previous game, doing it the usual way, and had the location show up on the map. Not this time.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Pierzak posted:

I've already gotten this quest on a previous game, doing it the usual way, and had the location show up on the map. Not this time.

No kidding? Is there any way to get into Detroit?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yes. Buy the electronic pass on the market for $3000, talk to Hatter after using the Tracking skill, or (I think) complete the urn quest the normal way. Going into the city triggers the end of the game however :( (playing the demo). I just wanted to see the content I do have available.

What are the recipes, BTW? I can't find any and the official forum is useless. So far I only know how to make a large or tiny fire, boil water, cut squirrels for meat and cook it on a stick.

ed: OK, nvm about the location, killed by a dogman.

Also, thanks to whoever recommended Night Vision to me. You can use it almost always when scavenging and it gives huge bonuses.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 21, 2012

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Darval posted:

This game is really interesting! Like many have said before me, the interface could use a little overhaul though. I also find it hard to figure out some basic stuff. Like I found a rifle scope and sling, but I couldn't attach it without a multitool and screws. Some flavor text would be nice there, like

"Looks like the screws are broken on the sight, gotta find some new ones, and a tool."

Or some stuff like that.

The beta version has little bits of paper (recipes) all over the place.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

WarringPhoenix posted:

Yeah it's a known bug which you can reproduce consistently when you have a stack of two or more scraps of paper. Move them from the ground to you and one or more of them will change every time you do it and give you a new recipe.

Pierzak posted:

What are the recipes, BTW?

I was considering compiling a list of recipes in the OP, I would probably spoiler tag them individually so you can just find the one you want without looking at others. Thoughts?

UncleSmoothie posted:

No kidding? Is there any way to get into Detroit?

Not at the moment, the story ends just before you can go in.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Xik posted:

I was considering compiling a list of recipes in the OP, I would probably spoiler tag them individually so you can just find the one you want without looking at others. Thoughts?
I'd prefer a single spoiler tag but that's great, thanks!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Xik posted:

Do tell us more :allears:

The screenshot is from that junk market place outside Detroit. I haven't made a new character to reproduce it, but the way it happened the first time was I wanted to turn some junk into lockpicks to sell, so I put the junk and my lockpicking skill into the window and pressed confirm. Afterwards both my lockpicks and the junk was gone (not even on the ground) and I had $2.1b. I figured that my lockpicking skill got bumped to the ground before it went back into abilities and that its dollar value corrupted my wallet.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Another way of getting into Detroit is by taking the electrician skill and using it in the conversation with Hatter. He will give you the pass if you bring him 3 iSlabs.

Does anyone know if the lockpicking skill actually gives you better loot when you search for stuff and if the mechanic skill is good for anything?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the botany skill is really useful. All the berries and mushrooms that you find in random tiles can be poisonous and without botany you can't know which are edible and which aren't. Take botany and use it to figure out what plants you should be eating, either that or stick to eating ketchup and gummy bears.

Terebus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 22, 2012

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay

Terebus posted:

Does anyone know if the lockpicking skill actually gives you better loot when you search for stuff and if the mechanic skill is good for anything?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the botany skill is really useful. All the berries and mushrooms that you find in random tiles can be poisonous and without botany you can't know which are edible and which aren't. Take botany and use it to figure out what plants you should be eating, either that or stick to eating ketchup and gummy bears.

Lockpicking gives you a higher chance of finding loot in buildings and is one of the only ways to get into locked sheds. The main benefit is that it keeps your stealth high so you're less likely to be attacked. Plenty of ceilings will still collapse on you, though. I haven't found any use for mechanic in the demo or beta beyond the scene in the cryo center but maybe there's some obscure use for it?

Nightvision is also a great boost for searching anything other than open fields.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terebus posted:

This isn't entirely true; Black/blue berries are always safe to eat.. It's still a very useful skill though, since you can use it while scavenging forests or fields to find more plants, and then use it to identify the safe to eat plants from those extras.

With Botany/Trapping you'll basically never need to worry about running out of food between berries/mushrooms/cured meat.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This isn't entirely true; Black/blue berries are always safe to eat.. It's still a very useful skill though, since you can use it while scavenging forests or fields to find more plants, and then use it to identify the safe to eat plants from those extras.

With Botany/Trapping you'll basically never need to worry about running out of food between berries/mushrooms/cured meat.

I could be wrong but I remember that there were two types of berries that came up either poisonous or edible randomly.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

^^^^^ black and blue are always safe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Personally I'd say trapping is way more food than you need. Botany is cool but unnecessary just to keep yourself fed (although maybe plants last longer than jerky? I dunno). Lockpicking and nightvision are both excellent, nightvision is probably the most powerful skill in the game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terebus posted:

I could be wrong but I remember that there were two types of berries that came up either poisonous or edible randomly.

Sort of:

Black/Blue berries are always safe.
Red berries are randomly poisonous or safe.
Yellow/white berries are always poisonous.
Mushrooms are randomly poisonous or safe.

One thing about the red berries is that I think they're a lot more commonly safe than poisonous, at least from my own observation, so you're better off eating them unidentified than mushrooms which are 50/50. Because of the poison risk though it's really best to only do it if you're starving to death with no other options. You could also kind of tell by trying to stack them, since safe/poisonous things don't stack even unidentified, but that's really gaming the system way more than is necessary.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Terebus posted:

You need to use the Lockpicking ability + Lockpicks for it to have an effect on loot.

:frogsiren: New Build: :frogsiren:

Demo Build: 0.913d
Beta Build: 0.923d

Full news item is on the site.

Demo and Beta:
  • Item consumption fixes, no longer possible to consume lighter fluid and medkits now only work if they have charges in them.
  • You can now cancel Rest+Heal by clicking the button again.
  • The AI should no longer walk into the junk store and loot it.
Beta only:
  • Save/Load Fixes. Loading will no longer send you back in time.
  • Loading should now correctly honor the remaining moves in a turn.
  • Context sensitive error messages have been added to loading so you know what has gone wrong.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

The weight of items is very broken in the latest beta version. My multitool weighs 12kg :stare:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

The weight of items is very broken in the latest beta version. My multitool weighs 12kg :stare:

That's actually only 1.3 kg :ssh:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
News update, but no new build.
  • The source code is a terrible mess of bugs
  • The encumbrance system (which was previously meaningless) will now work.
  • Warnings to those that use the "Feeble" trait as a "free" ability slot.
  • Status conditions will behave more reliably, including during save/load.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Xik posted:

News update, but no new build.
  • The source code is a terrible mess of bugs
  • The encumbrance system (which was previously meaningless) will now work.
  • Warnings to those that use the "Feeble" trait as a "free" ability slot.
  • Status conditions will behave more reliably, including during save/load.

I like this constant updating thing he does :) some indies it gets frustrating waiting 6 months for a huge push.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, it's still really early in development. Just wait until it gets Dwarf Fortress level feature creep! :haw:

I doubt it will ever get that bad, seeing as how the game is so much more focused than DF, but it is going to be a lot easier for him to maintain a brisk update pace at this stage than later on. There just isn't as much stuff to dig through. Plus most of the updates are small features or bug fixes. I would imagine a big rework of something like combat would take much longer to get done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Tempted to pay for beta access not just for the save feature but to have a say in features.

I'm sure the crafting system is going to be overhauled, but I'd love a "Move to Crafting" cursor mode (bound to 5 or something) that let you click stuff so it would instantly move to the crafting screen. Dragging a bunch of items to figure out recipes is a mild annoyance (to someone who'd play a turn-based survival RPG with permadeath).

This game is awesome.

EDIT: This runs on my stock Droid X2's browser. The cursor responds with a delay, but it works. (Yes, I know any flash-capable phone can run flash-apps, just sayin'.)

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 23, 2012

• Locked thread