Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

yes. I usually see them for more like $300.

I wouldn't worry too much at that level. The one thing about going with a little bigger turbo on a 2.0 is that it doesn't make the torque a 2.5l avcs wrx does which is much nicer on the transmission. I've also pretty much never seen a 2.0 blow a ringland like the 2.5s do. What year wrx btw? the 04-05 (maybe 03 too?) got improved crankshaft oiling and wider gears.

04. I see some people doing hybrid setups but buying used engine parts off Subaru forums = :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kylej posted:

04. I see some people doing hybrid setups but buying used engine parts off Subaru forums = :eek:
Some newbie on our local Subaru forum apparently bought a 2006 WRX engine with a stroker kit (from where, unsure) and is trying to figure out how to put it into his 2001 Impreza.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
ugh. I had a friend buy a "swapped" rs that was such a nightmare. Hardly anyone ever does it right, because that actually costs quite a bit of money and takes a lot of knowledge and mechanical skill. Basically it was just a stock sti block swapped in using the stock sohc rs heads and wiring harness with a knockoff of the avo turbo kit. It had a link that was very poorly tuned but didn't really get pushed because the clutch slipped. He finally gathered up the money to buy a new clutch and have us change it, and we find that the pressure plate is not even bolted to the flywheel properly because they are not compatible. So that gets fixed and the car can actually be driven around and he melts a piston about a week later.

kylej posted:

I try to avoid hybrid setups. For it to really work right you should have the combustion chamber cnc'd to match the 2.5 bore. The funky shape and higher compression ratio just makes it really prone to knock. By the time you do that it's probably better to just do a full 2.5 swap.

Here's a 2.0 head on a 2.5:

and here's what it should look like:

Usually on a 2.0 rebuild if the crank is damaged I will suggest a 2.2 stroker, which is where you use a 2.5 crank with pistons Mahle makes specifically for this with the wrist pin set 2mm higher to compensate.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

I try to avoid hybrid setups. For it to really work right you should have the combustion chamber cnc'd to match the 2.5 bore. The funky shape and higher compression ratio just makes it really prone to knock. By the time you do that it's probably better to just do a full 2.5 swap.

EQ Tuning actually has a CNC program that will cut the ej205 head to match exactly with the ej257 combustion chamber. $400 and it seems to work rather well in my car.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Amandyke posted:

EQ Tuning actually has a CNC program that will cut the ej205 head to match exactly with the ej257 combustion chamber. $400 and it seems to work rather well in my car.

$400 for both heads on a 5-axis? That seems like a pretty darn good deal.

EDIT: Apparently EQ does it on a 3 axis. In which case they're probably making about $200/hr on that job.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 21, 2012

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
I looked around but couldn't find a solid answer anywhere.

My 04 Forester XT 5MT started making a pretty bad whining/moaning sound when in any gear if I even touch the gas pedal between ~30-~35 mph. No strange noises in any gear, including neutral, when outside of that speed range.

Fluids look fine, everything functions fine otherwise. Any ideas?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

FecalFajita posted:

I looked around but couldn't find a solid answer anywhere.

My 04 Forester XT 5MT started making a pretty bad whining/moaning sound when in any gear if I even touch the gas pedal between ~30-~35 mph. No strange noises in any gear, including neutral, when outside of that speed range.

Fluids look fine, everything functions fine otherwise. Any ideas?

Where does it sound like it's coming from? Does it change with cornering? Braking?

The rear diff in my 98 legacy just went bad. It made weird whining/moaning sounds. By the time it got really bad it made the noise all the time. The diff oil didn't look bad, and didn't have an abnormal amount of buildup on the magnetic drain plug. But when I pulled it apart, the diff had very clearly taken a poo poo.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

FecalFajita posted:

You will probably have to get the car on a lift to diagnose that. We would have one guy drive the car and another go underneath with a stethoscope type deal to pinpoint drivetrain noises. If I had to guess I would say maybe a bearing on the transfer gears. They don't get a very good supply of gear oil and I see them go bad occasionally.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
My air pump is all hosed up in my 2006 wrx and I think i'm just gonna remove it. Is this guide pretty accurate for anyone that's done it? http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/115457-remnexs-how-series-air-pump-removal.html
And since i'm stock I think i'd finally have to get an opensource cable to delete the codes or try to wrangle someone in the local club.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--

chrisgt posted:

Where does it sound like it's coming from? Does it change with cornering? Braking?

The rear diff in my 98 legacy just went bad. It made weird whining/moaning sounds. By the time it got really bad it made the noise all the time. The diff oil didn't look bad, and didn't have an abnormal amount of buildup on the magnetic drain plug. But when I pulled it apart, the diff had very clearly taken a poo poo.

It sounds like it's coming from the transmission area. Possibly the rear diff. I'm deaf in one ear so it's a little hard to tell.

Cornering and braking don't seem related. It's only audible while touching the gas pedal between 30 to 35 mph.

Speaking of buildup on the magnetic drain plug. When I changed the transmission fluid 4k miles ago (at 88k) there was a lot of build up on the plug. :( I haven't got around to changing the rear diff fluid yet.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Hollis Brown posted:

My air pump is all hosed up in my 2006 wrx and I think i'm just gonna remove it. Is this guide pretty accurate for anyone that's done it? http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/115457-remnexs-how-series-air-pump-removal.html
And since i'm stock I think i'd finally have to get an opensource cable to delete the codes or try to wrangle someone in the local club.

just leave the valve with the big 5-pin connector (it has the atmospheric pressure sensor in it or something), block off the ports on the heads, and clear the codes. You can buy the fancy cosworth or whatever block off plates but I usually just cut out two little pieces of aluminum.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I got these blockoff plates but haven't installed them yet:

http://www.kstech.biz/servlet/the-10/air-pump-delete-block/Detail

For now I waited until the code was reading stuck closed, pulled the fuse and tuned out the codes.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
Quick dumb question, 08+ STi catback exhausts are compatible with 11+ WRXs right? As in, while looking for an exhaust for a 2011 WRX, the 08+ STI is fair game as far as fitment?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Airbone Operation posted:

Quick dumb question, 08+ STi catback exhausts are compatible with 11+ WRXs right? As in, while looking for an exhaust for a 2011 WRX, the 08+ STI is fair game as far as fitment?

Yep. rallysportdirect is a pretty good place for looking at exhausts because they have good pictures and usually sound clips for everything:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/2011-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-2.5L_Cat-Back-Exhaust

plus I have a wholesale account there and can usually take a few bucks off the price

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
Thanks, I want to get an exhaust by the end of summer so no huge rush and I have a lot of other crap going on until then. I was personally leaning towards a turboxs catback from the clips I have heard and the price is pretty decent.

edit: what the hell is up with this company 400 bucks is pretty cheap...

http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Motorsports-Catback-Exhaust-Subaru/dp/B007JZ1JZ4

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thanks, I want to get an exhaust by the end of summer so no huge rush and I have a lot of other crap going on until then. I was personally leaning towards a turboxs catback from the clips I have heard and the price is pretty decent.

You get what you pay for.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

I bought a Turbo back from one of my chinese supliers to test fitment and consider selling them when i sold turbo parts. Didn't fit for poo poo and came with a 5" tip. I ended up using the bellmouthed downpipe and having to make a custom mount for the midpipe and a completely custom axle back. That said I have the most awesome exhaust I have ever seen on a Subaru and use a summit race bullet/glass pack as a tip. Even with the custom bits at a local muffler shop it only cost me like $400. It owns.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 21, 2012

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Lord Gaga posted:

$400 for both heads on a 5-axis? That seems like a pretty darn good deal.

EDIT: Apparently EQ does it on a 3 axis. In which case they're probably making about $200/hr on that job.
I should explain that the 400 was for the cnc only.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I swear I need to bookmark some replies so I know where to get the info I need now.

gently caress.

I think I'll start a rebuild thread for the WRX so I get things in order.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

I swear I need to bookmark some replies so I know where to get the info I need now.

gently caress.

I think I'll start a rebuild thread for the WRX so I get things in order.

I have pms and email and stuff. peter at functionauto.com is my "work" email.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Amandyke posted:

I should explain that the 400 was for the cnc only.

Yes that is what I figured. Probably takes about 15 minutes to machine each chamber on a 3 axis plus an hour of setup, indicating and take down as I assume they dont do them enough to have a dedicated machine.

A Lag Cloud
Aug 3, 2004

Reliable Transportation
What do you guys recommend for new summer tires on a '09 WRX in terms of price/quality ratio? I was looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sport's and they get high reviews, but they are $180 a piece. Should I just suck it up and buy the Super Sports?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
jamal shipped out all my new suspension bits but I went to put my summer tires on and found one was cracked.

Its a oz superleggera and they are $400 from tirerack. They came with the car and probably were cracked last season too. Wife is going to take it to a wheel repair place but I am not holding out much hope.

Guess I get to spend even more money. Man this track day is adding up.

The 3 wheels I have now are 18x8. The tires aren't in the best condition so I probably need two tires too. Sigh

e: oh good they don't make the same ones anymore.

blindjoe fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 22, 2012

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Price per traction I think its hard to beat Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs. I have never tried the pilot sports and at nearly double the price, I probably never will.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

A Lag Cloud posted:

What do you guys recommend for new summer tires on a '09 WRX in terms of price/quality ratio? I was looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sport's and they get high reviews, but they are $180 a piece. Should I just suck it up and buy the Super Sports?

These are what I think I'll go with. They have great reviews but the 30k mileage warranty is what put them on the top for me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What's an easy-peasy +12V wire I can tap into under the hood of an Outback. Ideally, this wire would be hot when the car is on, and not hot otherwise. I don't need much current.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

A Lag Cloud posted:

Sumitomo HTR ZIII or Hankook V12 Ventus

zantar
Jul 30, 2002
I have the V12's and they are performing well on my 08!

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
How would my '02 Impreza TS sound if I put on eBay UEL headers, with the stock exhaust and maybe a junkyard aftermarket muffler? Does one really need a full system, or does the engine have a nice enough note with just UELs and a louder can?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

MrZig posted:

How would my '02 Impreza TS sound if I put on eBay UEL headers, with the stock exhaust and maybe a junkyard aftermarket muffler? Does one really need a full system, or does the engine have a nice enough note with just UELs and a louder can?

My opinion:
Its non turbo. If you want to mod a car, get a car worth modding as the cost won't really justify the gains power wise.

Answer to your question:
Engine sounds great with stock UEL headers. Scroll up a bit for my experience with eBay exhausts on the WRX. I actually have a chinese one piece UEL header and up pipe but haven't bothered to put it on because I don't want to take it off when something goes wrong and already have a catless up pipe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Similar tire question.

Are the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec worth $80 more for a set of 225/50/16 than the Hankook Ventus R-S3?

I think I'm going to start autocrossing my '02 again and need a set of tires. Wear isn't a huge concern, but they also need to be somewhat suitable for occasional daily driving (which in PA means some wet handling.)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't have a link, but I bought 225/45/17 RS3s on the recommendation of the Grassroots Motorsports autocross tire round-up article last winter. They held up pretty well all summer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I previously used RS-2s for autocross/daily driving on that car and were happy with them for the most part.

Really my only obstacle right now is deciding whether I want to drop $400 for tires on this car due to not knowing how much longer I'm going to keep it. I need to decide if I'm going to go all in this summer in making sure the thing is going to last for a few more years or if the siren call of the BRZ is going to get me to trade it in.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Lord Gaga posted:

My opinion:
Its non turbo. If you want to mod a car, get a car worth modding as the cost won't really justify the gains power wise.

Answer to your question:
Engine sounds great with stock UEL headers. Scroll up a bit for my experience with eBay exhausts on the WRX. I actually have a chinese one piece UEL header and up pipe but haven't bothered to put it on because I don't want to take it off when something goes wrong and already have a catless up pipe.

The heat shields on the headers are rattling like crazy. Why not throw on a $150 UEL header and make it sound better? That's my theory.

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop
$550 to replace one rear wheel bearing on my '99 OBS, or $700 for both. :stare:

I don't know what to do. I can afford it, but at the same time I put $1700 into this car early last year to get it up to snuff for a road trip. On the other hand, I am facing that same road trip now, and I don't want to completely blow the car up while towing a trailer through the moutains or something.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

MrZig posted:

The heat shields on the headers are rattling like crazy. Why not throw on a $150 UEL header and make it sound better? That's my theory.

Because its likely to eventually crack. Just take the heat shields off.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

infrared35 posted:

$550 to replace one rear wheel bearing on my '99 OBS, or $700 for both. :stare:

I don't know what to do. I can afford it, but at the same time I put $1700 into this car early last year to get it up to snuff for a road trip. On the other hand, I am facing that same road trip now, and I don't want to completely blow the car up while towing a trailer through the moutains or something.

did you go to the dealer or something? that's like twice what it should cost from a competent Subaru mechanic.

The bearing itself, at msrp with seals is like $90-100. Labor to change one bearing is no more than 2hrs, so $300 is on the high side imo.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Usually I ask my GL questions on ultimate subaru, but that's down. So I'll trow it out here.

I had the strut out and knelt on the rear hub, it pulled the balls into the snap ring and popped it out. The joint fell apart.
I figured no big deal, I'll just put the joint back together, pop it in the cup, and put the ring back in.

But it isn't going back together quite right. I didn't take the race off, and I didn't take the ring that holds the bearings off. Since the axle has worked for years they're not on backwards.
What happens is when I pop all the bearings in, the joint (not even in the cup yet) has no movement, it just pops the balls out when I try to move it through it's motions.
I have a thin layer of grease all over everything, so I know it isn't dry and binding up.

What's hosed up?

All the guides online (except for the one I have book marked on USMB) are for the SFJ kind that most newer subarus have.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I just now remembered something from the Atlanta Auto Show. They were giving out coupons of $250 off your next new Subaru purchase (except for the BRZ, of course). If you're looking at getting a new Subaru anytime soon, check for nearby auto shows. Here's the fine print.

quote:

*Coupon Rules: Negotiate your best deal and then present the coupon. Can be combined with customer cash on certain vehicles. Excludes prior sales. Offer valid from March 18, 2012 through May 17, 2012 and must take delivery from participating dealer stock during that time. Only original coupon will be honored and cannot be redeemed for cash. See participating dealer for complete details. Cannot be combined with other coupons or direct mail offers except for currently published incentives. Offer is only transferable to members of the same household. Participating dealer sets actual price. Not valid in the state of Hawaii or for residents of Canada. Offer not applicable for Subaru BRZ.

I think the validity date is short because I told them I was purchasing in the next couple months. If you visit one you might get a coupon for up to a year (since that was an option for how long until you plan to purchase one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Off topic a bit but I always thought it was a bit short sighted to say not available on high performance models that are very popular. If it makes people act on the BRZ sooner rather than later or used in a couple years it seems like it'd be worth it.