Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
What I did today. I dug out the dented, lovely looking oil pressure sender I pulled form the magna ages ago, connected it to the pressure gauge I have, applied power and air with the compressor. It actually seems roughly right considering I was getting about 250kpa on the gauge with the airgun blowing into the end of a hose with the sender on the other side. When I deadheaded it, it just launched the sender. Letting some air bleed from the airgun side seemed to prevent it. Given the compressor gives about 120PSI I think that's about right. Close enough for me anyway. Now I just need a way to attach the sender. I know exactly what I need but I won't be near the VDO shop or Supercrap until May probably. Damnit.

edit... wait. That math is totally wrong. poo poo. nm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

salt the fries! posted:

It's the shadow on that side shot.

Here's the front:

Here's the rear:

Please Excuse My Dirty-rear end Sidewall.

e: and still need to find black ball-seat lug nuts or have the stock ones powdercoated. The stock ones I have were powdercoated the same color as the outer lip, much lighter than the ones on there.

Those wheels are awesome.

Goatshadow
Apr 11, 2002

A few days late also, but this weekend I traded my 2005 Scion xB in towards a 2009 Nissan Frontier king-cab XE. The basic of basic model pickups, with the 2.5L 4cyl and a 5 speed stick. Cloth seats, roll-up windows and manual locks. Was quite difficult to find one. I have to fight the urge to "re-content" it all at once, though. I haven't any pics, but it's just a silver truck with the cheap steelies.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Well this is the last TWO days, and its my mates HDJ80, not mine, but I went from this....

To This!

Full engine strip down and rebuild after a catastrophic Big End Bearing failure- #2 tore itself to pieces, spun, shagged the conrod, belted the piston into the head and tore up the crankshaft and cracked it! So New crank, New piston, New Rod, New bearings throughout...

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

Rhyno posted:

Those wheels are awesome.

They're the stock 16s, powder coated.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I checked the fluids, and popped open the aircleaner on a whim.

I opened it all up at once and about 2 handfuls of nuts fell into the throttlebody :v:

Then spent 10 minutes vacuuming out the intake, filter and the rest of the engine bay.

Apparently, squirrels really really like beater civics.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

A few months ago my grandpa was complaining that his Ranger felt sluggish and was getting horrible gas mileage. My dad went over to look at it and found a squirrels nest in the air intake.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
Changed a badge...

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Spent most of the day sorting out wiring for the rear winch and controls. Thought I'd have it knocked out in the morning. Hopefully tomorrow the wiring will get finished and I can make the trapdoor.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
I fixed some rust under the headlights on my 88 corolla

One of these tow points is not like the other:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Bought it, stripped ungodly enormous amounts of wood shelving out of it and started the fun process of stripping the whole thing down.

It's an 80's Grumman with a TBI 350 and a Turbo 400 and some enormous rear axle. It's essentially a (very rotted) steel truck frame, engine/tranny/rear end and the entire rest of the thing is aluminum. Whole drat thing.

We had to dual comealong the goddamned thing (using the snatch blocks) onto the trailer and got all tired out doing that in the 90 degree sun, and then knocked out the interior in record time and got worn out standing on top with sawzalls.
It'll be a fun weekend.

e: even that bigass rear bumper is aluminum. It's crazy.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

Please tell me you are making a taco truck

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
It's not quite what I did, but what I'm about to do, and I could use a second look...

The catalytic converter is rusting out on my 2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor. Of course, it's due for inspection, so I thought I'd tape it first and fix it later, but the exhaust repair tape burned through after 1 day and it's rattling incessantly. I called the dealer and the part runs $800, because it "comes attached to part of the manifold", which is just ridiculous. You can see there's spring bolts right there that connect it at the flange.

I can't find any the online for 2006MY but as far as I know, other than a facelift the 2004-2011MY cars are all the same. Is it a mistake to get this instead? It looks really similar but is listed only for 2004.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQMitsubishiQQEndeavorQQCatcoQQCatalytic_ConverterQQ2004QQCAT9217.html

I think the parts guy might have been confusing it with this part, but it still shouldn't be $800 from the dealer.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^
Went for a little drive today to one of the bi-weekly car meets at USF in Tampa. A good variety of stuff there, mostly imports, some domestics, some trucks, some bikes.

I had an eventful trip out - a few miles in saw two college-aged guys stuck on the side of the road looking confused next to their Nissan Leaf. Nice. About halfway there, the truck I was about to pass blew the left rear tire (closest to me) and I got blasted with retread.

Eventually I made it to USF (after maintaining 42+ MPG in traffic, too). I met up with some other CR-Z people at a car wash, so I decided to give it a full wash and wax to match the interior clean I'd done earlier. Basically I emptied everything out of my car other than my iPod, sunglasses, and safety glasses and deodorized and vacuumed, as well as shook out the floor mats.

Anyway, I also took some pictures, since this is probably about where this car will sit until I get my TBD project this summer/fall/winter/when finances allow. Actually, this is where it will sit [i]after[/i} I get the other project, so I guess this is probably it for pictures of my car for awhile.

Here's one in my standard spot before I left. I love how forgiving cell phone cameras are, because my car was dirty despite being washed on Sunday. The wash and wax after my trip helped so much.

Here's one with a group of other CR-Z's from Tampa area, Orlando, and Jacksonville. The fitment on the blue one is fantastic, and I don't really love much tuck. (Then again, I wouldn't put some of the time, money, or effort most of these people put in). There was another person there but he had a 4ish hour drive home so he took off before this picture. It was interesting to have our own "section" of the show.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
drat, those LMs look great on that car. Has it got a lip on the bumper?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh god you went through a car wash? :gonk: you hate your paint don't you?

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Oh god you went through a car wash? :gonk: you hate your paint don't you?

I've never put my car through a car wash. This was a bay wash, which is about the worst I'll do. I still got my soap and water on, although I JUST NOW realized I left my wash sponge thing out there. Ahh well.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

drat, those LMs look great on that car. Has it got a lip on the bumper?

Yup, there's a chin on it. The girl whose car this is looks to take pretty good care of it. She has a ton of pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/azukic/

Here are a few recent sets of wheels she's had on:

Another shot of those LMs. I love this look way more than I thought I would.

edit: upon further review, this picture scares the hell out of me. I mean, I scraped a few times even tonight (USF has pretty huge speed humps on their campus), even seeing hers that close to the driveway ramp makes me cringe. I scraped my little plastic protectors last week on a driveway (before I lowered it) and now plan to do that again.... never.

I'm done spamming her car in this thread though. Go look at her pictures! She had raised it for the drive down today but showed up too late to drop it again. Fine with me, I loved it where it was. Also, she's getting a few more parts before she says she's going to start taking it to the track... crazy. She rolled her S2000 awhile back in some strange accident, so hopefully the track goes better than that.

salt the fries! fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 24, 2012

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I just can't see ever going through a car wash, even a bay wash. I love the paint on my cars too much not to do a full two bucket wash on them every time. :).

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

I just can't see ever going through a car wash, even a bay wash. I love the paint on my cars too much not to do a full two bucket wash on them every time. :).

I'm (usually) with you on that. I actually didn't really intend to do a full wash and wax, but I brought my stuff with just in case. Everyone else ended up being 45 minutes to an hour and a half late.... so I went for it. It's therapeutic.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Every so often I see a dude with a Porsche or some other exotic at the do it yourself car wash going to town with the foaming brush and it makes me cringe.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Every so often I see a dude with a Porsche or some other exotic at the do it yourself car wash going to town with the foaming brush and it makes me cringe.

never ever ever ever ever will I put one of those near my car. I get weirded out enough by the pressure washer and the thing that ejaculates the foam out of the end, I don't want to know what people have been actually touching with that brush. Yowza.

I do need to clay bar this thing, though. Probably going to do it after I move (which will involve driving about 1300 miles - I just crossed the 6000 mile threshold today after 11 months and 1 day).

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

salt the fries! posted:

never ever ever ever ever will I put one of those near my car. I get weirded out enough by the pressure washer and the thing that ejaculates the foam out of the end, I don't want to know what people have been actually touching with that brush. Yowza.

I don't even let those things touch my econobox, they are the car-care equivalent of shared needles.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Not my ride, but a friend's. Done at my house so it counts mostly.
Installed a Magnaflow exhaust on a 2007 Hummer H3.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

My J-Body ('85 Vauxhall Cavalier) failed its MOT on emissions (6%, it should be under 4.5% CO)

So today I cleaned the carb and put non lovely petrol into it - Perhaps cheap supermarket + lead additive isn't as good as Shell V-Power for an engine that hasn't been converted yet.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

salt the fries! posted:

I'm (usually) with you on that. I actually didn't really intend to do a full wash and wax, but I brought my stuff with just in case. Everyone else ended up being 45 minutes to an hour and a half late.... so I went for it. It's therapeutic.

Ok you get a pass. Sorry man for sperging out on you, but I detail cars as a part time gig while I go to school for my Network engineering degree, so I tend to sperg out. Maybe someday I will make a thread like PBCrunch except it would be just detailing different econobox's and the occasional higher end car.

Sounds pretty boring actually. :smith:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
As a former detailer myself, I would like to see that. I never did any sort of scratch/chip touch-ups and we didn't have clay bars back then, so I wouldn't mind seeing what goes into a "real" detailing job.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bucephalus posted:

As a former detailer myself, I would like to see that. I never did any sort of scratch/chip touch-ups and we didn't have clay bars back then, so I wouldn't mind seeing what goes into a "real" detailing job.

90% of my jobs are:
Wash, Clay, Wax

4% of the jobs are:
Wash, Clay, Polish, Wax

1% of the jobs are:
Wash, Clay, Buff, Polish, Wax, Interior/Engine.

If I get any interesting projects I will make a thread. I did my brothers Daewoo a few months ago that was trashed, and I did my *free* Nissan which was trashed (which is still down.)

I've also done everything from Geo Metros to a 911Turbo. Mostly poo poo boxes though and people complaining about how long it takes.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT WILL BE SEVERAL HOURS? CAN'T YOU DO IT ON MY LUNCH BREAK? :smith:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Most of what I did was hairballs that the local buy-here-pay-here dealers drug in from auction.

Wash, including engine bay and door/trunk jambs.
Buff/wax.
Vacuum/shampoo/clean/shine interior.
Copious amounts of tire shine on everything under the hood.
Rattlecan Chassis Black in wheelwells and sometimes on underhood insulation.

That poo poo ain't right.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 24, 2012

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't think I could ever bring myself to do something like that. :stare:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Consider the clientele and the $49.95 fee.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I still don't think I could do that. I charge 40$ for a basic wash, so 10$ more for 10x the work scares the poo poo out of me.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Quick Lube. Wash/detailing was furthest from the prime directive.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I can imagine, well if I do get anything interesting I may start a thread and post some pictures. Nobody wants to see a daewoo being buffed/polished/waxed/interior cleaned out.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I took my EGR valve and throttle body off my Miata today. The EGR passage into the intake was caked over with gunky carbon. Cleaned the gently caress out of everything till it looked new.

Hopefully this gets rid of my lovely idle on warm restarts and a P0470.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Ok you get a pass. Sorry man for sperging out on you, but I detail cars as a part time gig while I go to school for my Network engineering degree, so I tend to sperg out. Maybe someday I will make a thread like PBCrunch except it would be just detailing different econobox's and the occasional higher end car.

Sounds pretty boring actually. :smith:

Sounds like an awesome thread to me

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Jesus spraying some water on your paint at a car wash isn't going to hurt anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wav3form posted:

Jesus spraying some water on your paint at a car wash isn't going to hurt anything.

You're crazy man, I keep a dozen towels in my trunk in case it ever rains!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

wav3form posted:

Unless the car's hot.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

wav3form posted:

Without foam the dirt grinds into the paint leaving swirls and haze. :colbert:

edit* It also doesn't lift up the dirt, so the remaining dirt is likely to dig in and contaminate the paint surface, making it feel like sandpaper.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Disassembled the AM radio and made the tuning 'clutch' work again so I can now tune to AM 1340, fresh air. Also somehow fixed the volume knob so that low volume is an option. It previously went from off to loud to way too loud.

Of course I didn't center it properly and now the buttons get stuck on the dashboard face. I'll live with it for now, as I noticed my light doesn't work in it and neither do the ones in the ancillary gauges. I get to unscrew it again tomorrow!