Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
Rereading some old parts--unrelated, but the side story is as freakish as ever. http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/16

Do any recent revelations give hints to what it means?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Nilbop posted:

This series lives and dies on tone. Look what happened to Bleach when they animated it.

At best hope for an OVA.

I think "Look what happened to Naruto when they animated it" would be more accurate.

While Bleach did suffer certain deficiencies in its abilities to establish tone and mood when it got an anime and translated Kubo's pages to television, I think it made up for/offset that damage in some degrees due to the excellent music choices and certain stylistic decisions in the way the action was animated and things like color and lighting were added. While one could argue it was a situation of added flash trying to make up for a loss of substance, I think Naruto suffered a lot more in that regard.

But maybe that's just my opinion. Also this is not the Bleach thread, so I've probably talked too much about this.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
so she clearly had a sleeping problem or something, I wonder if that has to do with her being part titan? Will Eren be affected eventually?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

JD posted:

so she clearly had a sleeping problem or something, I wonder if that has to do with her being part titan? Will Eren be affected eventually?

I think she was tired from transforming repeatedly and the fight, just like Erin has been after transforming.

Clearly, she is better trained than Eren, but she probably has the same inherent limitations. I wonder if Eren was due for the same training before his dad vanished? I also wonder if Mikasa can also transform, since it seems likely that she was also enhanced somehow by Eren's dad.

Also this manga is amazing. It does so many things right that so much fiction just gets wrong (like actually knowing what your plot twists are going to be before you write them and having characters be able to come to the same conclusions the readers will).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Hodgepodge posted:

Also this manga is amazing. It does so many things right that so much fiction just gets wrong (like actually knowing what your plot twists are going to be before you write them and having characters be able to come to the same conclusions the readers will).
Have to wonder how much foreshadowing is hidden in earlier chapters. These things take so long to come out I had forgotten they were originally heading for Shiganshina.

E: This too. http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/18/15

Jackard fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 12, 2012

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

Jackard posted:

Have to wonder how much foreshadowing is hidden in earlier chapters. These things take so long to come out I had forgotten they were originally heading for Shiganshina.

In chapter 3, annie says that her reasons for joining the military police are 'completely different', contradicting her statement in 18 that she is doing it to 'save her hide'.

edit: Giant monologue in chapter 14. "My dad was just like you guys, high on a ridiculous pipe dream of an ideal... not in this piece of poo poo we call a world

j4on fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 12, 2012

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's an interesting two pronged plan.

If they had got her underground, they could have subdued her easily where she can't transform due to the lack of the sun and room. On the other hand, if the entirety of the scouting legion and the MPs jump her here, they have a chance to take her down and make a MASSIVE strike against information control.

The human-giants beyond Eren seem to largely be aiming to force people to turtle in and control numbers. They don't actually desire humanity's extinction, they desire control. They want the status quo to be maintained since that means those in charge keep their power without threats. Having humanity have to back in as much as possible and reducing the population to manageable levels is part of this. They've said before that the major losses to population was actually viewed positively by those in charge. In essence, the human-giants are a means to manipulate the other giants and remove trouble elements if necessary, as was just tried against Eren in the recent mission.

But what will happen if a giant appears right in the middle of the city, the safest zone, the ultimate bastion? Behind the final wall? It doesn't matter that those in charge will figure out that it's one of their "own giants" that did it; the populace will turn from "why bother, we're safe behind the walls!" to sheer "OH poo poo. OH poo poo". The essence of protection will fail, which will send ripples through the system and also give those that want to take offensive solutions more pull.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jackard posted:

Hah, page 7 also in that same chapter Look where Armin is looking in the bottom panel. I'm really enjoying the gently caress out of this story. I hope they don't try to drag it out too much just because it's so popular now.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

j4on posted:

Do any recent revelations give hints to what it means?

If its translated correctly then the only thing I could think of is an allusion to Norse mythology. Ymir and Ymirs people, the Jotnar. Whether or not he's introducing himself as a jotun (it would make sense, since he's a giant), or calling the humans jotnar is something that remains to be seen.

As for Annie, I cant help but feel that her conversation with the MP guy and with Armin holds a lot of what she actually believes in. That she's just protecting the status quo when she really feels like she could try to break it. Gave me vibes that she's rationalizing the (real) belief that humans are mostly scum and that this is for their own good

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person
Why do I have the ill feeling that if their plan goes well and manage to capture her alive, that there will be a chapter dedicated to painful experiments and methods of interrogation. It will be painful to read and make us sorry for Annie. Please don't let this happen. :ohdear:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Monsieur Mango posted:

Why do I have the ill feeling that if their plan goes well and manage to capture her alive, that there will be a chapter dedicated to painful experiments and methods of interrogation. It will be painful to read and make us sorry for Annie. Please don't let this happen. :ohdear:

They would have to do a lot to make me feel sorry for Annie. They'd have to give her green hair.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I just wonder what the hells up with Annies ring. They made a distinct show of her putting it on early and then tugging at it at the end.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Maybe it's a signet that the wall-worshippers wear and its a lead-in to that or some other clandestine plot.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

It's a magical ring that keeps her demon giant powers at bay.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yeah, it clearly, like, sucks up all her chakra or something. :ssj:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, it clearly, like, sucks up all her chakra or something. :ssj:

To counter this, Eren must learn the name of his inner giant and go bankai.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I'd just thought it was to divert a lot of blood to her finger. I don't think that's a crazed grimace or anything at the end of the chapter, she seems to be going to bite her ring finger to trigger the transformation, same as Eren does.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Breaky posted:

I just wonder what the hells up with Annies ring. They made a distinct show of her putting it on early and then tugging at it at the end.

It could just be a nervous habit.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Does anyone know what chapter it was when Eren and Annie wre doing hand to hand combat and she told him about her father?

also here is annie saying sorry early in the manga, it's on two pages.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/15/23

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Simstim posted:

Does anyone know what chapter it was when Eren and Annie wre doing hand to hand combat and she told him about her father?

also here is annie saying sorry early in the manga, it's on two pages.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/15/23

Here you go.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/14/15

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/14/29
:laffo:

Aaaaah, Sasha is the best character. I wish we'd see more of her.

EDIT: Sasha gets flustered and then Mikasa calms her down by jamming a loaf of bread in her mouth. D'awww! :3:

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

DrSunshine posted:

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

DrSunshine posted:

Now you jinxed it, she's probably going to suffer a horrible death in the next chapter.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Is that a "why do titans eat everyone we care about" kind of question?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
For the Monster Hunter fans out there, just thought I'd share a thing:

Apparently Monster Hunter Tri G has a DLC Crossover and you get the trainee outfits with their swords. No 3-Dimensional fighting, though.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Nahxela posted:

For the Monster Hunter fans out there, just thought I'd share a thing:

Apparently Monster Hunter Tri G has a DLC Crossover and you get the trainee outfits with their swords. No 3-Dimensional fighting, though.

I am guessing it is some form of DLC?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Panzerschwein posted:

Now you jinxed it, she's probably going to suffer a horrible death in the next chapter.

I thought she was dead already, but I'll happily believe she's not.

Ka0 posted:

That's ... what he says, yes.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Nilbop posted:

I thought she was dead already, but I'll happily believe she's not.

Not a single (named) recruit who entered the scouting legion has died yet, surprisingly enough.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Ka0 posted:

Yeah, the Monster Hunter games have a bunch of downloadable quests, and a number of them are crossover quests that give some nods to their original sources. For instance, in Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, there's a Metal Gear Solid download quest called "Solid and Liquid," and the rewards from the quest let you make a Boss or Big Boss armor set (complete with voice enhancements~).
They also have a running trend with some sort of Jump crossover, like Pirate Outfits and Pirate Weapons.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I hope the DLC has you fight a titan to unlock the armor.

No one will ever unlock the armor :unsmigghh:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
We have one already he's called Joe and you better believe he's always hungry.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a Titan would get the gently caress out of dodge if it saw you take down something like Fatalis or Lao Shan Lung, much less any of the Frontier bullshit.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Pierson posted:

Now I'm no fancy big-city biologist, all prancing around in my fine suit full of protractors, but those teeth just don't make a lick o' sense.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nilbop posted:

Now I'm no fancy big-city biologist, all prancing around in my fine suit full of protractors, but those teeth just don't make a lick o' sense.

They aren't teeth, they are more like fused horn. They are used for fighting between males over mates and for dominance, much like rams, iirc. The teeth are in a narrow ring further in and are small and serrated, much like those in sharks.:tipshat:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They aren't teeth, they are more like fused horn. They are used for fighting between males over mates and for dominance, much like rams, iirc. The teeth are in a narrow ring further in and are small and serrated, much like those in sharks.:tipshat:

I dunno if that's actually his lore or whatever but typically a mouth like that with a large, flat, wide pallet with rows of sharp teeth is something that crushes its prey rather than tears it. When the prey struggles it rends itself if it can even move at all. Since its extremities are so restricted it has no real way to fight back and then the murder starts.

You see similar methods in how alligators kill prey. They clamp down and hold the prey in place, and then spin their bodies like a corkscrew to let bodyweight and physics do the work.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

What if there were giant people, how would they kill their prey

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Vincent Valentine posted:

I dunno if that's actually his lore or whatever but typically a mouth like that with a large, flat, wide pallet with rows of sharp teeth is something that crushes its prey rather than tears it. When the prey struggles it rends itself if it can even move at all. Since its extremities are so restricted it has no real way to fight back and then the murder starts.

You see similar methods in how alligators kill prey. They clamp down and hold the prey in place, and then spin their bodies like a corkscrew to let bodyweight and physics do the work.

Alligators drown their prey they don't crush them.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If I was going to be killed by a titan I would definitely prefer being stepped on to being eaten aliahahaha no I can't go on.

Is the next chapter out yet?

VVV What's it like to be a wuss?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 23, 2012

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

Pierson posted:

gently caress, Deviljho. gently caress him so hard if you're not able to sleep bomb that gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Kusaru posted:

Not a single (named) recruit who entered the scouting legion has died yet, surprisingly enough.

That's not even remotely true, Shaved-head idiot guy was killed be the traitor, for starters.

Also, I just powered through this whole thing in one night. This is one the best comics I've ever read. Totally saw the Annie is the Female-Titan reveal coming though, as much I didn't want to. She's one of my favorite characters. It all adds up though, and was pretty heavily foreshadowed since her first appearance.

My money's on her Father's field goal training being more about teaching her to boot through the doors, just like he does.

Any theories on who the Armored titan is? I thought it might be Shaved-head idiot guys, but he's a little... dead, now.