Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

How do you upgrade racials skills in DS2, again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Speedball posted:

How do you upgrade racials skills in DS2, again?

I think they upgrade on some arbitrary level up.

EDIT: Drain is still pretty incredible. Maybe it's because my MC has an almost maxed magic stat, but he's dealing some serious damage with drain, even if he doesn't one-shot everything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RentACop posted:

That being said, I don't understand what the "Rock, dude" replies mean

It's an attempt at speaking in rhyming slang. Rock is related to quarry which sounds like sorry. It uh, it's a little forced.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's an attempt at speaking in rhyming slang. Rock is related to quarry which sounds like sorry. It uh, it's a little forced.

Presumably the pun made a tiny bit more sense in the original language...but then again, Joe's jokes are unbelievably lame anyway, so maybe it was just as forced there.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!
I preferred the plot in DS2 since it was more like Hey, the stars were here before you felt the need to name deities after us and make up stories . I thought it was a good contrast to other games in the SMT series.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oh my God, it's so cute:

Gah! How am I supposed to save up for P4G and a Vita if I keep being tempted with all of these awesome Persona 4 figures? :negative:

Source (link has more images)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Speedball posted:

Presumably the pun made a tiny bit more sense in the original language...but then again, Joe's jokes are unbelievably lame anyway, so maybe it was just as forced there.

Given the location of Nagoya and the fact that Joe is meant to be from there, I figure that in the original, he spoke (either constantly or periodically) in Kansai-ben, and the translators didn't want to give the "Texas drawl" that most localizers give that dialect, so they gave him Cockney-style rhymeslang instead.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 21, 2012

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Finally got my Persona 2 PSP soundtrack in the mail... it's six discs, two of the OST (which I already have) and four of the PSP remixes. The liner has lyrics for some of the songs, including the Satomi Tadashi mixes. :allears:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Justice posted:

Finally got my Persona 2 PSP soundtrack in the mail... it's six discs, two of the OST (which I already have) and four of the PSP remixes. The liner has lyrics for some of the songs, including the Satomi Tadashi mixes. :allears:

:stare: Care to share a link?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

RadicalR posted:

:stare: Care to share a link?

To where to buy the soundtrack, or to the lyrics? I could just type the lyrics out, but all of the Satomi mixes are about which items to use for healing and SP and stuff, so it's really silly to even have lyrics for them...

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
So I ended up figuring I could try out Daichi's best ending without free battles on my second play-through to maximize my points (500-ish, more if I finish up cracking). Problem is, the only Fate walkthrough I can find cuts off on day 4. Anyone know of a better guide? I'm flying through this, and while I can certainly do some guesswork and try for getting everyone leveled up, I'd rather have it down pat.

Some content: If you're doing NG+, a really potent early game strategy is Anger Hit/Marksman, as it negates the 50% hit rate. Auto-crits that early are devastating. You can also get access to Grimoire+ a lot earlier than you should, so slapping it on a team with Multi-Hit Daichi or Hinako toting +Stone gets retarded real fast.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 21, 2012

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/20/persona-4-arena-adds-elizabeth-and-playable-shadow-labrys-to-the-roster/

Elizabeth added to P4Arena on April 5th, uses Thanatos as her Persona.

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 21, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'd be more interested in seeing a scan of Labrys and Shadow Labrys's Personas though. Labrys's is listed as Ariadne and Shadow Labrys has Asterios. (I don't know if any of these names count as spoilers - to be clear, these are things listed as download content like Elizabeth)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 21, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I had a mainly physical MC in DS1 and he did really well. Physical pretty much outdamages everything for most of the game, there's one skill that either does a critical hit or misses, if you give your MC the skill that automatically boosts accuracy it just makes that skill always hit and well everything doing double damage now.

If a guy has reflect just don't hit him.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

So I ended up figuring I could try out Daichi's best ending without free battles on my second play-through to maximize my points (500-ish, more if I finish up cracking). Problem is, the only Fate walkthrough I can find cuts off on day 4. Anyone know of a better guide? I'm flying through this, and while I can certainly do some guesswork and try for getting everyone leveled up, I'd rather have it down pat.

I know there's a Japanese wiki that goes into it, but I don't have the specifics myself, and GTrans only does so much for Japanese; you'd end up working guesswork anyway.

So, uh, I have no idea.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Justice posted:

To where to buy the soundtrack, or to the lyrics? I could just type the lyrics out, but all of the Satomi mixes are about which items to use for healing and SP and stuff, so it's really silly to even have lyrics for them...

Be helpful if I clarified what I meant! :downs:
A link to buy the soundtrack, if you would be so kind?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I had a mainly physical MC in DS1 and he did really well. Physical pretty much outdamages everything for most of the game, there's one skill that either does a critical hit or misses, if you give your MC the skill that automatically boosts accuracy it just makes that skill always hit and well everything doing double damage now.

If a guy has reflect just don't hit him.
The Overclock edition also buffs physical by adding the good skills like multi-strike.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So i finally ordered DS2, and i've been meaning to get the first one for a while too. But are there any sites that both have it for a decent price (~30$ or so) AND ship to Europe with decent shipping costs? Most of the sellers on Amazon don't ship overseas, and Amazon itself only wants to ship via loving priority courier. :psyduck: And Deep Discount only had DS2, not the first. :sigh:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Screenshots for the new Tatsuya scenario in P2: Eternal Punishment

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

RadicalR posted:

Be helpful if I clarified what I meant! :downs:
A link to buy the soundtrack, if you would be so kind?

Here's where I got mine

http://www.play-asia.com/Persona_2_Tsumi_Innocent_Sin_Original_Soundtrack/paOS-13-71-9x-49-en-70-466q.html

Yesasia also has it for a couple bucks cheaper

http://www.yesasia.com/us/play-station-portable-version-persona-2-tsumi-innocent-sin-original/1024102672-0-0-0-en/info.html

Looks like the price went up significantly since it came out, when I pre-ordered it last year it was about $40.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Ahaha it's Swami Chandraputra.

That's... actually thematically appropriate.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Can someone point me towards a particular video? I seem to remember Igor commenting on the way you played the game if you maxed all the social links in vanilla Persona 3, but can't find it on the internet. Does anyone have a video or transcript of this conversation? Or does he not say anything about it at all and I'm just remembering the FES version of the event?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Nickoten posted:

Can someone point me towards a particular video? I seem to remember Igor commenting on the way you played the game if you maxed all the social links in vanilla Persona 3, but can't find it on the internet. Does anyone have a video or transcript of this conversation? Or does he not say anything about it at all and I'm just remembering the FES version of the event?

When you enter the Velvet Room after maxing all S. Links in a single playthrough, he does have a couple lines regarding the many masks you had to wear. He gives you the Cipher Mask so you can fuse Orpheus Telos. During the final final battle, you get a line of encouragement from each of the S. Links you maxed.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Yeah, that's what happens in Portable and FES, right? But what I want to know is if he says anything at all in regular Persona 3.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Well there's no Cipher Mask or Orpheus Telos in the original P3 release. I don't have a video, but here's the English P3 script.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/932312-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3/faqs/50852

Ctrl+F for "This isn't the afterlife" to find where the scene begins. Ending spoilers for Persona 3, obviously.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Holy poo poo I was not expecting Yamato to be that much of a pain in the rear end to fight. I got overconfident with my MC having maxed Magic and effective anti-all, and he got wrecked.

Thankfully, Fumi had Evil Flow. I don't think I could have won without that. :stare:

EDIT: Also I'm a bit sad about not getting most of my skill cracks, but that happens sometimes. I still got the main one I was aiming for.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 22, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

King of Solomon posted:

Holy poo poo I was not expecting Yamato to be that much of a pain in the rear end to fight. I got overconfident with my MC having maxed Magic and effective anti-all, and he got wrecked.

Thankfully, Fumi had Evil Flow. I don't think I could have won without that. :stare:

EDIT: Also I'm a bit sad about not getting most of my skill cracks, but that happens sometimes. I still got the main one I was aiming for.

Anguished One's Yamato fight is a fair bit more dangerous than Ronaldo's; Ronaldo's is basically just a battle of attrition as you try to run his MP out.

Anguished One's Yamato packs Drain and a ludicrous magic stat, and is basically King Shitkicker given that you'll typically fight him five to ten levels lower than he is. I forget, does he have Null Auto? If not, Endure+ is always an option.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm on Daichi's route and already beat Yamato. I didn't look up his exact stats, but he had Megido and Chaos Breath. Also he had auto judgment or something? His demons had Ma-dyne skills, too. When you can't do anything or he moves before you, it's pretty quick to gently caress you up.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Anguished One's Yamato fight is a fair bit more dangerous than Ronaldo's; Ronaldo's is basically just a battle of attrition as you try to run his MP out.

Anguished One's Yamato packs Drain and a ludicrous magic stat, and is basically King Shitkicker given that you'll typically fight him five to ten levels lower than he is. I forget, does he have Null Auto? If not, Endure+ is always an option.

He also has Magic Yin and I think both of his minions have Knight or Hero Soul so you can't just tear him down with Assassinate. Also you pretty much have to take him down in one or two combat rounds because drat near every enemy on the map has Samarecarm. :suicide:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

King of Solomon posted:

I'm on Daichi's route and already beat Yamato. I didn't look up his exact stats, but he had Megido and Chaos Breath. Also he had auto judgment or something? His demons had Ma-dyne skills, too. When you can't do anything or he moves before you, it's pretty quick to gently caress you up.

Yeah, all the fights against Yamato have him paired with Remiel and Arioch, giving him Chaos Breath and Angel's Stigma. I think both incarnations of the fight give him Megido, as well.

In the Ronaldo fight (at Tsuusenraku), he's got Judgement and Prayer as his other skills, with Revive as his Auto-Skill. His speed (the type used to determine turn order, not Agility) also gets higher when there's fewer demons on his side.

In the Anguished One fight (at the Terminal), he has Drain and Samarecarm, I believe, with Magic Yin as his Auto. There's also the damage field effect in the beginning of the battle and a Norn in that fight who loves dropping Samarecarms and Prayers everywhere.

Both of them are retarded fights, for different reasons, and I have no idea which path Daichi's emulates.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
In Daichi's route, you fight him at the Tsuusenraku (or however that's spelled) and he gains speed as the fight goes along. As mentioned, he has Megido and sure loves to gently caress you up with it. I don't think he ever used Drain on me, but he might have it? I'm not sure.

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
So do you guys use any sort of guides re: magical affinities of monsters? I was thinking of starting up DDS2 again and eventually working my way through the Persona games, but I can never keep track of which monsters are weak/resistant to which spells. I usually don't like using guides with games, but I think it's the only way I'm going to make it through a megaten game without getting frustrated and giving up (again).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Biggie Shorty posted:

So do you guys use any sort of guides re: magical affinities of monsters? I was thinking of starting up DDS2 again and eventually working my way through the Persona games, but I can never keep track of which monsters are weak/resistant to which spells. I usually don't like using guides with games, but I think it's the only way I'm going to make it through a megaten game without getting frustrated and giving up (again).

...I must be spoiled with the Devil Survivor games and Strange Journey, then. I'm used to having the resistances spelled out right in front of me. :shobon:

Granted, you'll need a guide to get through SJ for different reasons (gently caress YOU, SECTOR E.) but the resistances aren't it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Sweet christ, I am about 10 seconds away from smashing my Devil Survivor 2 cartridge. If the RNG isn't biased toward the enemy at all times, you could have fooled me. I swear to god, I missed a demon 7 times in a row with a basic attack (he had like 20 HP so I wasn't going to waste HP/MP on a skill, but the fucker had Dodge), and if it's not asking me to cut through swarms of demons all higher levels than my guys, with a boss included in that mix, it's summoning reinforcement demons after I destroyed the phone on the space. The first Devil Survivor had its moments, but I never felt like the game was literally telling me to go grind, or get the gently caress out.

E: Okay, with that ranting out of my system, I feel like I can explain myself better. I'm not sure if the player characters were nerfed, or the demons were buffed, but you feel a lot weaker than you do in the first Devil Survivor, but the game is still asking you to fight things like in the first game. There were very few fights in the first game that felt like I simply wasn't strong enough; it was hard, but it felt like "Hey, I'm willing to bet there's a set of skills/demons that makes this a joke, even if I'm cursing my way through it with my current setup." I don't get that feeling so much in DS2.

Artix fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 22, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Artix74 posted:

E: Okay, with that ranting out of my system, I feel like I can explain myself better. I'm not sure if the player characters were nerfed, or the demons were buffed, but you feel a lot weaker than you do in the first Devil Survivor, but the game is still asking you to fight things like in the first game. There were very few fights in the first game that felt like I simply wasn't strong enough; it was hard, but it felt like "Hey, I'm willing to bet there's a set of skills/demons that makes this a joke, even if I'm cursing my way through it with my current setup." I don't get that feeling so much in DS2.

Huh. Odd, I didn't really get that feeling, per se. The feeling I /did/ get, however, is that the difficulty curve has been assfucked five ways to Sunday, meaning that you'll spend a lot of the early game with garbage skills and garbage demons, and then suddenly you'll crack the Multi- skills and the dances and suddenly the rest of the game (save for a few late-game gently caress-yous) becomes significantly easier.

The game pulls a lot more dick moves on you, I'll admit that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
My biggest complaint is basically long stretches of time where my characters just stood there helpless while the same enemy unit sometimes got two or even three turns to initiate on me.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Artix74 posted:

Sweet christ, I am about 10 seconds away from smashing my Devil Survivor 2 cartridge. If the RNG isn't biased toward the enemy at all times, you could have fooled me. I swear to god, I missed a demon 7 times in a row with a basic attack (he had like 20 HP so I wasn't going to waste HP/MP on a skill, but the fucker had Dodge), and if it's not asking me to cut through swarms of demons all higher levels than my guys, with a boss included in that mix, it's summoning reinforcement demons after I destroyed the phone on the space. The first Devil Survivor had its moments, but I never felt like the game was literally telling me to go grind, or get the gently caress out.

The RNG loves the enemies, I especially love getting shocked and frozen at crucial moments in the battle.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I swapped out phys repel for drain hit in the last battle and got wiped with a single multi strike. It's the first time I've ragequitted a game...I think, ever. I'm currently burned out on Devil Survivor games and just can't force myself to pick it up for the time being.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The only time I ever felt the game was unfair, to the point where I out loud to no-one hissed "you are loving cheating" was the seventh day main boss. Honestly I find 2 to be a good deal easier than the first game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I definitely felt the humans themselves were way stronger in DS2 than ever before. It made me pretty lazy about fusions later on.