Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Washout posted:

Don't use anything but simple green, some people recommend brake fluid or pine sol, both of those can melt plastic and I don't know how they react with pp resin. If you can't find any locally just order it over the internet.

Most places actually have Simple Green available in shops. Australians used to say they weren't able to get it, but while shopping wrt doing some work around the house I found bottles of it at Bunnings (chain hardware). I'd check out if somewhere has it and have that poo poo handy because it can be super useful, especially if you're trying a new paint scheme or a technique you're not sure of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Washout posted:

Don't use anything but simple green, some people recommend brake fluid or pine sol, both of those can melt plastic and I don't know how they react with pp resin. If you can't find any locally just order it over the internet.

Brake cleaner works on plastic but not as well as Simple Green. Pinesol will destroy plastic, I think it even ate through some metal figs I put in there if I remember right.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I've been playing with my small Trollbloods force and am happy with them so far but seeing the Stormwall made me want to pick up a small Cygnar force as well.

Goddamn is this game addictive :gonk:
I have $150 in store credit at my FLGS and was wondering what I should get to build a decently competitive force. Was thinking of running eCaine or eNemo (jack heavy)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Better photos of the Stalker!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Only thing color wise is the blue that clashes with the other bright colors, may want to consider changing that to brown or something if you haven't sealed it yet, but only a minor nitpick. It's an awesome looking guy and the autumn idea is a great idea for a color theme.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Nightwatcher posted:

I've been playing with my small Trollbloods force and am happy with them so far but seeing the Stormwall made me want to pick up a small Cygnar force as well.

Goddamn is this game addictive :gonk:
I have $150 in store credit at my FLGS and was wondering what I should get to build a decently competitive force. Was thinking of running eCaine or eNemo (jack heavy)

eCaine, p/eHaley, and eStryker are considered the top tier Cygnar casters, but most of them are rather decent. Nemo is getting a 3rd version around the same time as the Stormwall, but both his previous versions can do some nice tricks.

Cygnar has some very strong 'jacks, but they are somewhat limited in selection for the best ones. The Stormclad, Ol' Rowdy, and Defender are really common in any list, Thunderhead is extremely strong at troop clearing, but somewhat expensive and not good in every list. Lancer/Thorn are both great Arc Nodes, though a lot of Cygnar casters don't need one.

People are really split on the Stormnoun troops, they have somewhat weak defensive stats, and are very expensive points and $$ wise, but hit like a truck and can wreck almost anything. Their main issue is lowish threat range. Black 13th and Arcane Tempest Gun Mages are both very strong and have a lot of uses, with the former being one of your better anti-stealth units. A lot of the top tier Cygnar players end up using Merc units like Nyss Hunters or Boomhowlers.

Almost every single Cygnar list is going to have a Squire and a Junior Warcaster, so might as well pick those up right away. There are quite a few good Merc Solos for Cygnar, Eiryss(anti warmachine, buff stripping), Reinholdt(more shooting), Rhupert(troop support), Gormon(anti shooting/debuffing).

eStryker is often played as an assassination caster, with his absurd threat range and ability to more or less 1shot any caster. Against Warlocks this will often not be reliable as they can camp some Fury and just transfer off your big attack. He is a very strong caster without using that though, his feat can cause some serious damage, and Deflection and Positive Charge and both amazing spells. Deflection + Arcane Shield on Stormblades will make them extremely hard to kill with shooting/blast damage. Rebuke lets you really screw with people's plans, and can completely shut down some units/jacks.

I have not seen eNemo played a ton so I can't comment as much there, but he seems like a somewhat tricky first caster to play the faction with, and wants some things that no other (non-nemo)caster will use. I love all of his models though, and the Stormcallers can really gently caress with Warmachine players if they are not careful. Plus so few people even know how to play against him since they never see him!

EDIT: Completely read eStryker instead of eCaine, my mistake! They are both pretty big assassination casters though, but I feel like eCaine is a lot harder to protect against. He can't do much vs a high armor caster though especially focus camping buffed up casters. But with 10 potential shots, Hordes casters beware.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 21, 2012

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Just to add: consider borrowing or proxying a Cygnar army and giving it a spin before committing to buying stuff: Cygnar is a tricky faction to use but is also capable of a whole lot of amazing stunts. However, it is not easy to just throw a bunch of Cygnar units together and call it a list. Try some list bashing and see what seems both effective and fun to play. That'll give you a good indicator of what to buy for yourself.

Above all, don't fall into the trap of thinking Cygnar is all about making Gunlines and taking Gun Mages and Hunters in every list. Apart from being really annoying for Khador players like myself to play against, it's fairly easy to counter and may just make you feel like you're playing a 1 dimensional army, which would be both bad and wrong.

As for the two choices you made, they're good ones. E Caine is a blast to play and can crush people's dreams. E Nemo is, in my opinion, the best Jack caster in the game. He can get around just about every problem jacks have in the game between himself and his best bro & arch rival, Arlan Strangeways.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I think the ultimate goal for me is to start a Cygnar force I can actually learn and play with.
Right now, my list of things to purchase (based on looking at a lot of stuff online) is as follows
eCaine
Squire or maybe Reinholdt
Ol' Rowdy
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages and maybe the UA
Strangeways
Boomhowlers

I think with that stuff I could build a decent 15 pt force and eventually work my way up to 35 and ultimately 50. I think it will also give me a solid core should I want to switch casters. May get a hunter or a Stormclad too

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Nightwatcher posted:

I think the ultimate goal for me is to start a Cygnar force I can actually learn and play with.
Right now, my list of things to purchase (based on looking at a lot of stuff online) is as follows
eCaine
Squire or maybe Reinholdt
Ol' Rowdy
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages and maybe the UA
Strangeways
Boomhowlers

I think with that stuff I could build a decent 15 pt force and eventually work my way up to 35 and ultimately 50. I think it will also give me a solid core should I want to switch casters. May get a hunter or a Stormclad too

That's a really good starter for cygnar! You should also think about a Defender at some point, they're really good. Also a good buy: Nyss hunters with the ranking officer.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Does anyone else have a spare Decimator sawblade? I want to make the Khador starter-box Juggernaut into Torch. I know it's a fairly rare bit, but I just thought I'd ask. :shobon:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
A question about Ashes to Ashes. I couldnt see if its been asked before.

Is it one damage roll for all the units hit? If not, do I have to boost each secondary damage roll?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
It's a separate damage roll for each model. You'd have to boost them individually.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
So I've been playing for a few weeks now, and wanted to expand my Skorne and try out some Cryx (Gonna try to maintain 1 Hordes and 1 Warmachine force).

For Skorne, I started with the Starter Kit (pMorg, 2x Savages, Gladiator) and picked up 8 Beast Handlers, a Shaman, a Bronzeback, 8 Arcuarii and two Soulwards. I wanted to pick up a second Warlock, some different troop choices, and maybe a solo or two. I'm pretty happy with beasts, Gladiator + Bronzeback seems amazingly solid. What do people recommend otherwise? I really like the look of Naaresh and Xerxis, which troops play nice with them? Bloodrunners for Naaresh and Cetrati/Karax for Xerxis? Final note: I'm too much of a bleeding heart to play the Agonizer so he's out (nooo Dumbo nooo :ohdear: ).

For Cryx I got their starter as well (pDenny, 2x Deathrippers, Defiler, Slayer) and also picked up a Warwitch Siren and a Skarlock. I'm pretty sure my next step is a full unit of Bane Thralls + UA + Tartarus, but I have no idea what to do in terms of 'Jacks. Do I need more Bonejacks? I was thinking of getting a Heavy Kit (Slayer/Reaper/Corruptor) and maybe one of the Character kits (Erebus/Malice), but I'm not sure. I'm gonna wait for the new plastics on any of the Spiderjacks. Also I was thinking of a second Warcaster, looking at Scaverous (with Erebus) or pGaspy.

What do you guys think?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Deathjack deathjack deathjack. Also: deathjack.

You need him before any other heavy really. Then again you usually don't NEED him with pDenny, although he certainly is good with her. There are probably only a few cryx casters that don't synch well with the DJ, both goreshades and terminus.

For the other jacks they usually have more focus on specific casters. Nightmare for Mortenebra, seether for eSkarre, cankerworm only for Gaspy, there is some overlap but not as much as other factions imo.

I haven't played with Erebus but he doesn't look all that great except with Sev, he's anti infantry in a faction full of anti infantry. Malice is good though. I'm not sure you'll get much use out of the heavy kit though since character jacks in cryx are just flat out better then those older jacks.

pGaspy is probably the easiest cryx caster to play, maybe tied with pSkarre so I'd recommend that over a much more complex caster like Sev. pGaspy is just so versatile, able to either blow away loads of infantry with spells or smash a heavy warjack with his spear and teleport away afterwards.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

AttackBacon posted:

For Skorne, I started with the Starter Kit (pMorg, 2x Savages, Gladiator) and picked up 8 Beast Handlers, a Shaman, a Bronzeback, 8 Arcuarii and two Soulwards. I wanted to pick up a second Warlock, some different troop choices, and maybe a solo or two. I'm pretty happy with beasts, Gladiator + Bronzeback seems amazingly solid. What do people recommend otherwise? I really like the look of Naaresh and Xerxis, which troops play nice with them? Bloodrunners for Naaresh and Cetrati/Karax for Xerxis? Final note: I'm too much of a bleeding heart to play the Agonizer so he's out (nooo Dumbo nooo :ohdear: ).

Dont bother with bloodrunners, get nihilators which will go in most lists. Cetratii go great with xerxis and a few other casters. Buy the agonizer and sculpt him a little birthday party hat.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

AttackBacon posted:

Final note: I'm too much of a bleeding heart to play the Agonizer so he's out (nooo Dumbo nooo :ohdear: ).

I felt the same way when I started playing Skorne. Then PP released Dominar Rasheth.

Now I run his Theme List so that I can run TWO Agonizers. The tears of my opponents washes away the guilt.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just to make sure I'm getting this right, the Choir of Menoth. They all have to cast the same ability/spell, but can be on different targets? correct? They can't mix and match spells on multiple targets?

Daemonqueller
Aug 16, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Just to make sure I'm getting this right, the Choir of Menoth. They all have to cast the same ability/spell, but can be on different targets? correct? They can't mix and match spells on multiple targets?

Yes, the choir all sing the same hymn. If one sings protection, the rest of the unit sings the hymn of protection. If you want a different hymn on 2 different jacks, you need 2 units of choir.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cheers, just wanted to make sure I'm understanding it correctly before I use them.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

PaintVagrant posted:

Dont bother with bloodrunners, get nihilators which will go in most lists. Cetratii go great with xerxis and a few other casters. Buy the agonizer and sculpt him a little birthday party hat.

I think Nihilators are awesome so I'm all for this, but how hard is it to keep them from killing each other? I keep hearing "oh don't get Nihilators if you are starting out" because of Berserk, but is it really that big a deal? I figure I can just start with a minimum unit to get a feel for the spacing.

I'll see what I can do about the hat. Also: how many lists can I justifiably squeeze Hakaar into? Cause he is the sexiest solo.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

AttackBacon posted:

I think Nihilators are awesome so I'm all for this, but how hard is it to keep them from killing each other? I keep hearing "oh don't get Nihilators if you are starting out" because of Berserk, but is it really that big a deal? I figure I can just start with a minimum unit to get a feel for the spacing.

I'll see what I can do about the hat. Also: how many lists can I justifiably squeeze Hakaar into? Cause he is the sexiest solo.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Just engage them in waves. Like, if you have charge range to say, 6 enemy models with defense 12-14, send in 4 or 5 nihilators, as opposed to all 10. Yeah you might berzerk a couple of your own dudes, but if you keep a second wave of dudes behind the first, youll have them for later in the game.

The main issue that makes nihilators harder for newbies to use is that they only have CMD 7, and thats pretty small for a 10 man unit. But its not so hard that you cant figure it out after a couple games.

Hakaar is fine in almost any list, but he excels with both Makedas and Zaal.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
code:
Product Name 	Product Name				Qty 
Menoth #32001	Warcaster Grand Scrutator Severius 	1
Menoth #32034	Warcaster Grand Exemplar Kreoss 	1
Menoth #32051	Warcaster High Executioner Reznik 	1
Menoth #32055	Vassal of Menoth	                2
Menoth #32057	Hierophant Warcaster Attachment		1
Menoth #32063	Vice Scrutator Vindictus		1
Menoth #32087	Choir of Menoth				1
Warmachine #25001	Two-Player Battle Box 		2
WOOOHOOOO BITCHES! THE START OF MY MENITES! Could be here by Friday! Still need troops, Avatar, Reckoners, Redeemers, Covenant ... Anything else? A Guardian perhaps?

I am so excited about painting a whole new force!

Edit: LOOK AT THIS REPRESENTATION!

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 22, 2012

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

PaintVagrant posted:

Man what do you know about Skorne

Question for Legionbros: I've started playing them and I need some infantry. Legionnaires or Hex Hunters? Legionnaires look really cheap and that is cool but hex hunters look like they can beat face, plus stealth is nice. I'm planning on using pVayl at first then learning Saeryn.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

muggins posted:

Man what do you know about Skorne

Question for Legionbros: I've started playing them and I need some infantry. Legionnaires or Hex Hunters? Legionnaires look really cheap and that is cool but hex hunters look like they can beat face, plus stealth is nice. I'm planning on using pVayl at first then learning Saeryn.

I think the only caster that REALLY wants hex hunters is Bethayne. That being said, they seem reasonably effective in a lot of lists, but I get my rear end beat by Neutralyze every week and he runs legionaires in lots of lists and hex hunters in only a couple.

Legionaires go great with the pot, they die in front of it and then the pot gets their corpses and makes lessers.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

PaintVagrant posted:

I think the only caster that REALLY wants hex hunters is Bethayne. That being said, they seem reasonably effective in a lot of lists, but I get my rear end beat by Neutralyze every week and he runs legionaires in lots of lists and hex hunters in only a couple.

Legionaires go great with the pot, they die in front of it and then the pot gets their corpses and makes lessers.

This seems like a sweet idea. As a wm perma-noob I always look for offensive options with stuff but perhaps legionnaires are best for jamming up and doing that pot thing.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

dexefiend posted:

code:
WOOOHOOOO BITCHES! THE START OF MY MENITES! Could be here by Friday! Still need troops, Avatar, Reckoners, Redeemers, Covenant ... Anything else? A Guardian perhaps?

I vote that you paint them black with flames, that's got to be the coolest way to paint menoth. http://privateerpressforums.com/sho...l=1#post1015959

The two most versatile (and maybe best) units for Menoth are KEE and TF, bastions are a close 3rd tied with TF imo.

Here is an easy win pKreoss 35pt army. In 25 you would want to drop the vanq and maybe the zealots. KEE are a key infantry unit for Menoth. Zealots used to be the best, but they are not required like they used to be, just fun. You could replace them with TF if you wanted, but they have good synergy with pKreoss, but then again he has Defenders Ward and that makes TF awesome.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Protectorate of Menoth
Casters: 1/1
High Exemplar Kreoss (*5pts)
* Redeemer (6pts)
* Redeemer (6pts)
* Vanquisher (8pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Exemplar Errants (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer (2pts)
Holy Zealots (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Holy Zealot Monolith Bearer (2pts)

The main thing that a lot of people forget with menoth, your warcaster is nearly always really easy to kill, even if camping focus. Be very careful with your warcasters in a menoth force.

No real need for vassals with pKreoss, he tends to not need his focus except to cast and upkeep spells. And he usually plays pretty far back until the feat turn when he wins the game. The extra shots would be nice, but not as good as having to give up a unit of troops or jack to fit them in.

Washout fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 22, 2012

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Washout posted:

The two most versatile (and maybe best) units for Menoth are KEE and TF, bastions are a close 3rd tied with TF imo.

Yeah, I viewed the Cinerators as freebies. I am waiting for the plastic boxes to come out for those troops choices. I will probably pick up the Zealots at the same time and have a troop painting extravaganza.

I just wanted the casters to start. They will be my painting inspiration.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

dexefiend posted:

Yeah, I viewed the Cinerators as freebies. I am waiting for the plastic boxes to come out for those troops choices. I will probably pick up the Zealots at the same time and have a troop painting extravaganza.

I just wanted the casters to start. They will be my painting inspiration.

I'm not trying to beat you over the head that you need to ditch them, I was just responding to the (.... anything else) and remembered that I never mentioned KEE.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

dexefiend posted:

code:

Edit: LOOK AT THIS REPRESENTATION!

wootin' this.

Just finished my vessel of judgement! Gotta wait for plastic Reckoners and Errants, then poo poo be on!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I wish Cinerators had Shield Wall, Fire Immunity, and Ranked Attack. That would be a badass unit. Also, WHY AREN'T THEY BLESSED?!?! IT DON'T MAKE NO SENSE!?!

I am really looking forward to using Reznik, boxing some living dude, dropping a Wrack at 1.98", buying a swing and blowing it up for a 5" pow 14 bomb! MWAHAHA. It would also be cool if said living model had tough.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 22, 2012

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

dexefiend posted:

I wish Cinerators had Shield Wall, Fire Immunity, and Ranked Attack. That would be a badass unit. Also, WHY AREN'T THEY BLESSED?!?! IT DON'T MAKE NO SENSE!?!

I am really looking forward to using Reznik, boxing some living dude, dropping a Wrack at 1.98", buying a swing and blowing it up for a 5" pow 14 bomb! MWAHAHA. It would also be cool if said living model had tough.

It was a stupid rules move to not give them some sort of survival related special rule like the bastions have. If there are two things that the pp designers end up over valuing it's the "make dudes explode" rule and dual purpose units that can shoot and fight in melee.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Washout posted:

I haven't played with Erebus but he doesn't look all that great except with Sev, he's anti infantry in a faction full of anti infantry. Malice is good though. I'm not sure you'll get much use out of the heavy kit though since character jacks in cryx are just flat out better then those older jacks.

Erebus is okay with Scavvy for a couple extra souls now and then, but he's really best with Terminus. I slap Ravager on him and he usually gets me 6-7 souls for the feat turn purely by himself.

Also Harrowers are probably Cyrx's best non-character jack, especially as reinforcements. Come in with 3 focus, charge something and stay fully fueled the entire drat game.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Seethers are also a good pick if you don't want or can't get a character jack into the list, especially if your warcaster already has a focus hungry jack and you feel like fielding 2 heavies in your list.

As for the heavy jack kit being useless, don't forget Mortenebra. If you ever end up with 4 Slayers collected from other people's Battle Boxes, roll her out and they'll do you well.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Dammit. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes after a models initial release for its parts to turn up on the PP store? Apparently while moving house I have managed to lose Rocinante's head, and his pieces aren't on the store yet. I am trying to decide if I want to wait for them to turn up or work out some sort of conversion in the meantime.

Related - if anyone has a good suggestion for a base head to convery from, that would be nice!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Im a big fan of Erebus just for his defensive stats, 14/18 is a huge upgrade for the very fragile slayer chassis.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Related - if anyone has a good suggestion for a base head to convery from, that would be nice!

Seems most Khador heads look pretty similar to that, if not cooler

http://store.privateerpress.com/behemothhead.aspx

http://store.privateerpress.com/sprigganhead.aspx

http://store.privateerpress.com/devastatorhead.aspx

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Im a big fan of Erebus just for his defensive stats, 14/18 is a huge upgrade for the very fragile slayer chassis.

I played a 35 game with Scav and Erebus last night, throwing that +2 Arm spell on him gave him enough toughness to survive two turns against a Stalker and 3 skinwalkers before killing them all, and he ended the game with only 5 damage on him. Dude's a bro

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yes. Yes he is.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Also giving ghostwalk to a full unit of Banes with UA and Tartersauce was just outright loving mean. Curse, charge, killed a feral in 2 hits. I need to play Scav more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

PaintVagrant posted:

This too, with Poltergeist he's pretty survivable and a steal at 8 points.

• Locked thread