Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Uh, isn't punching them out basically localized heat molding? Apply heat, punch out, product cools. I had that point on the inside of my right skate and they punched it out and now it's solved.

I assume so, I just don't trust some disinterested kid to do it for me. I've had problems with it in the past and am really reluctant to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Anders posted:

Apparently, I can get a Bauer synergy stick, elbow pads, 10 roller pucks, a end plug and a pair of running shoes if I import from hockeymonkey for $50 less than I could buy the same stick, and just that here in Norway. Including shipping and import tax.

:norway:

Yay clearance I guess!

If you are talking about the Warrior sneakers, they aren't bad for the money ( I paid $19 2 weekends ago). Of course that was the loss leader that made me grab a bunch of other hockey stuff I may have not really needed anyway.

No instructional hockey class tonight, as I have some expensive Bruins tickets in hand. I started up skating class yesterday however, and it seems like this should be worth the money. The teacher is a figure skater, and runs the small class like a bunch of one-on-one instruction. She was more then happy to gear the session towards what I wanted to work on.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

bigmike posted:

Still not the craziest hockey related thing some cooky Canadian invented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2En4aBctIco

ahahahahaha, this is great.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
First game last night after a lovely 2.5 week layoff from hockey. My legs felt like they had 2 50 pound weights tied to them. It also didn't help that I was centering a line with 2 wingers who couldn't catch a pass to save their life. D makes a nice pass up the boards to the winger, who boots it right over to the opposing D. Which makes me have to transition back to backwards skating and cover down low again. *sighs*

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

bigmike posted:

Still not the craziest hockey related thing some cooky Canadian invented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2En4aBctIco

Ah, but have you seen the wonder that is Three-Way Hockey yet?

http://www.hyperinfo.ca/GS.Sunatori/2007-04-02.html

For some reason, I think I would probably play the hell out of this if it were a thing.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Many years ago, someone here on this very site, proposed a six-way game in a rink that looked like Chinese checkers.

The idea of five teams and five pucks bearing down on one helpless goalie was....amusing.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

First game last night after a lovely 2.5 week layoff from hockey. My legs felt like they had 2 50 pound weights tied to them. It also didn't help that I was centering a line with 2 wingers who couldn't catch a pass to save their life. D makes a nice pass up the boards to the winger, who boots it right over to the opposing D. Which makes me have to transition back to backwards skating and cover down low again. *sighs*

Buy a mountain bike, lets go riding and stop being a pussy old man

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Sash! posted:

Many years ago, someone here on this very site, proposed a six-way game in a rink that looked like Chinese checkers.

The idea of five teams and five pucks bearing down on one helpless goalie was....amusing.

Between warmups and poorly paced drills, we're used to this.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Ah, but have you seen the wonder that is Three-Way Hockey yet?

http://www.hyperinfo.ca/GS.Sunatori/2007-04-02.html

For some reason, I think I would probably play the hell out of this if it were a thing.

I love that they use the example of the excitement of Canadian politics as the reason to get the "original spirit and excitement" back in the game.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

mr. unhsib posted:

Can anyone here tell me about playing hockey in the Bay area? I'm moving to Mountain View next month and I'd really like to get back into it. Also what's the availability of gear like, I think I'm going to get rid of everything I have before I move...

I think there are a few people in this thread that live/play in the bay area. I live in SF but play in Oakland. Near Mountain View, there are actually a pretty good number of rinks in the area. Belmont has a drop in clinic on Thursday nights that is half drills, half pick-up, and it's usually pretty fun. The biggest store I know of in the area is hockey xsport, which is in Oakland.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
For those in Pittsburgh, looks like Pure Hockey announced their first store will be on Neville Island. It will be open late Spring and multiple other stores are still to be announced.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Can they sharpen skates correctly? I'll go there every time if they can.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Benson Cunningham posted:

Can they sharpen skates correctly? I'll go there every time if they can.

I have never been to one, I would hope to think they might be a little more knowledgeable than the 16 year old's usually working at other places

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Fuck Jesus and Fuck Shoes!!

dms666 posted:

I have never been to one, I would hope to think they might be a little more knowledgeable than the 16 year old's usually working at other places

Nope usually 16 year olds at the Boston area ones.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Guys

I....

I-

I saw him.

I saw... the white whale of ice hockey. I can't believe it.

I really saw him.

I swear, I did.

You guys said he existed somewhere out there, and I didn't believe you. I really didn't.

I didn't. Not until a skills session tonight.

During the 20-minute scrimmage, he took multiple 5-minute shifts. Glided to every puck. Never skated hard. Couldn't skate really. Fell over constantly. Had an absolute lovely shot. Couldn't catch a pass to save his life.

He...

He... I can't believe it.

He had a mirrored visor. And was absolutely loving terrible.

I will never doubt this thread ever again.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 21, 2012

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Guys

I....

I-

I saw him.
Was he a big guy with darker skin?

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Habibi posted:

Cool so we've passed possible misogyny to possible racism.

Kidding, but that's what it reads like.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Minister Robathan posted:

It doesn't read like that at all. I find it weird how people will avoid using obvious traits to describe someone because they don't want to be viewed as racist. It seems very odd to pretend like skin color differences don't exist and aren't valid ways to describe people. If you judge a person based on their skin color, then you're an idiot, but if you describe someone as the black guy with glasses or the white dude with a flapron and it's an accurate description of the person, then it doesn't come across as racist it just comes across as you listing easily recognizeable features of a person.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Waroen posted:

Nope usually 16 year olds at the Boston area ones.

And those 16 year old ones have 20 pairs lined up ahead of you. For south of Boston, I found this guy - http://kensproskate.net - who was the Providence Bruins equipment manager for a time. Small shop, very cool. Hope the new Hockey Monkey store in Norwood doesn't push him out of business.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Minister Robathan posted:

Yeah, I think it's making fun of the average NHL12 online player who tends to be a solo shithead that can't play and they think they're hilarious for some reason when the player is a big black guy with blonde dreads.

If I'm wrong, gently caress that poo poo.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I saw a dude from my skills session last night leaving the rink in his Lamborghini convertible with his bag and stick crammed into the passenger seat. I guess that's pretty awesome but I mean, if you own an Italian supercar don't you probably also have some other car that's slightly more suited for hauling around a bunch of bulky, stinky gear?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

How can he show off his Lambo without driving it :smugdog:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I guess an out of the way business park at like 11:00 on a Tuesday isn't where I would be showing off my $200,000 car.

I've heard the same dude owns a warehouse space with a synthetic ice setup.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I look at synthetic ice rinks probably like how people probably first looked at the Wright Brothers plane. It's happening, but it's not adding up.

I will say though I have done training on a synthetic ice treadmill before, that was wild and draining. Imagine ice skating up a 40 degree slope.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Thufir posted:

I saw a dude from my skills session last night leaving the rink in his Lamborghini convertible with his bag and stick crammed into the passenger seat. I guess that's pretty awesome but I mean, if you own an Italian supercar don't you probably also have some other car that's slightly more suited for hauling around a bunch of bulky, stinky gear?

I can't think of a better way to dry my gear.

And its the perfect most misogynistic thing to do. Have the woman sit in the same seat where your stinky hockey gear goes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Habibi posted:

No.

Thufir posted:

This is actually awesome.
And no he doesn't, he spent all his money on the Lambo.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
10:35 game last night. We won 5-0, which is good. I get a little annoyed though when I don't get a goal during a game like that. I'll fight hard for a turnover, pull it out of the corner, race to beat their other skater - basically exhaust myself in every way possible, I feel. Then it's my other lineman who sits in front of the net, takes the pass and scores. It's just not fair, dammit!

That said, we are done with our late games and I think I will be way less crabby as a result.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Don't worry, every team appreciates their playmaker(s). If they don't, then they're probably a shirty team anyways.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Zettace posted:

Don't worry, every team appreciates their playmaker(s). If they don't, then they're probably a shirty team anyways.

It's nothing to worry about, really, you're right. It's a very selfish frustration I was feeling last night.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Had a great game last night with a hilarious finish. We were down by 1 goal with a minute left, pulled our goalie for the extra skater, but the other team got the puck and scored an empty netter. But the refs disallowed the goal because the other team had an extra skater on too! This meathead on the other team who was cherry picking all night jumped on the ice when we pulled our goalie for some reason.

There were only 12 seconds left since they wouldn't put time back on the clock, so we pulled the goalie for a 6-on-4 faceoff in the neutral zone. We win the puck and one of our guy's who spent the entire night dangling way too much, and not shooting enough, gets on a breakaway. Dangles right in front of the goalie of course, top shelf backhand goal with no space whatsoever to tie it up with 4 seconds left. It was sick.

There's no OT in my league this season, so we settled for 1 point split. We actually had the exact same thing happen to us last week, but on the receiving end where we coughed up lead with 7 seconds left.

I also scored my first league goal in about a year in that game too. Puck trickled out to point, I had a terrible weak wrister bounce along the ice. The goalie was completely screened and it went in. I think I've scored most of my goals like that actually.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

My Bauer Supreme bag is starting to fall apart after just a year, can anyone recommend a better one?

desired specs:
- bigger than 32"
- non-wheeled
- will not fall apart in a year
- not super expensive

nice to have:
- shoulder strap or somewhere to attach a shoulder strap
- pockets
- available at icewarehouse.com

My Easton S3 gloves are also falling apart and I'm thinking about upgrading to Bauer 4-Roll pros.

e: This seems like a good deal, confirm/deny? http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-...ampaign=web_rec

Thufir fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 22, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd avoid the Easton EQ40, it's listed as 38" and is loving enormous. I could probably get two sets of hockey gear in the drat thing.. and that's without using the skate pocket on the outside.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Lamborghini guy update: beat his team 6-0 tonight. They are really bad.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah but he could smoke your Civic.

Also, non-wheeled bag? What the? I love my wheeled bag. Carrying gear is for chumps.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Also, non-wheeled bag? What the? I love my wheeled bag. Carrying gear is for chumps.
That only works if you're a goalie. You're a chump if you can't carry a players gear in a bag

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What if I have 12-pack in the bag? Does that cross the threshold into acceptable?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

What if I have 12-pack in the bag? Does that cross the threshold into acceptable?
Only if the bag specifically has a built-in cooler like one of the guys on my old team used to have.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I have an Easton EQ 20 bag that I've been using for a year or so at least and it's holding up pretty well. No complaints about it so far. The EQ 20 one is apparently just 32", but the EQ 30 bag is 36" according to hockeymonkey.

real_scud posted:

Only if the bag specifically has a built-in cooler like one of the guys on my old team used to have.

This is awesome as hell.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This was, without a doubt, the dumbest hockey game I have ever been a part of: The team that would not shut up

I'm not even sure they got all the penalties written down. They missed at least one 3rd period goal for us (on which I assisted :argh:), the score was 4-2 or 5-2.

Poor refs. By the end of it, the other team was calling them loving idiots for everything. Icing, offsides. They started chirping us for dumping the puck for a change.

:psyduck:

I got a roughing penalty when a guy slashed me and I stumbled into another guy who elbowed me in the head. I think it was an attempt at a make-up call. I came the closest I ever have to two-handing someone in the head when a guy stuck his knee out on me as I went by on the boards. Trip and crosscheck or whatever but that poo poo is low. I was also the one slew-footed in the third (which the ref was going to be lenient and call a trip until someone on their team would not shut the gently caress up).

The game ended with 7 seconds left when one of their defense two-handed our guy across the shins, broke his stick on the guy's shin pads, and as our team skated down the ice for a 2 on 0 their entire team was calling the refs stupid shitheads for missing the "blatant slash that broke his stick". The ref blew the play dead and told one of the guys in the penalty box to get the gently caress out, then called the game.

Absolute loving idiots, goddamn. It absolutely baffles me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

19 o'clock posted:

10:35 game last night. We won 5-0, which is good. I get a little annoyed though when I don't get a goal during a game like that. I'll fight hard for a turnover, pull it out of the corner, race to beat their other skater - basically exhaust myself in every way possible, I feel. Then it's my other lineman who sits in front of the net, takes the pass and scores. It's just not fair, dammit!

That said, we are done with our late games and I think I will be way less crabby as a result.
Your friends patrolling the blue line are rolling their eyes right now. :)