Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sealicorn
Mar 9, 2007

Feed me that fish!
I'll grant a wish.

Lt. Marmalade posted:

Also, fedoras. So many fedoras :doh:

I love that fedoras exist because they serve as a perfect radar for detecting horribly broken people. It embodies that perfect combination of a complete lack of social awareness and a misguided attempt to have a "cool" or "mysterious" image. All of my stories that might be even slightly worthy of this thread involve a fedora to some extent.

Alan and Master Jack should be glad that the dragons never answered their summons. Don't they realize that every aspiring warlock will inevitably be eaten by whatever demon or dragon or metaspiritual badboy that they summon? :devil:

Then again, maybe that's what they'd want :eng99:

Sealicorn fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frost Alias
Feb 19, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

For an example along with content, there's my friend 'E'. Her grasp of Pagan Faith is pick a couple dieties that sound good from a list (currently Bast and the Green Man), light storebought incense from time to time, bemoan the 'Burning Tymes', gripe there's no Pagan church buildings to be able to hold social gatherings in, and gets loudly offended if someone says any of the minor Christian themed platitudes like "Bless you" when you sneeze.

This sounds like a woman I used to go to community college with who worked with my mom for a total of five days before having a Pagan hissy fit. She's one of those loud, pushy people who feels like she is "persecuted" because of her "beliefs." Giant pentagram tattoo on her chest.

My mom serves food at an apartment complex for low-income, disabled, and elderly people. One of the men who lives there told Miss Pagan (not knowing about her "religion") that if she was looking for a church, the one he goes to would be glad to have her. He wasn't pushy or preachy, just being friendly. I personally don't tend to agree with churchgoing and all that, but I don't see the harm if they're casually inviting someone just to be nice. However, she exploded in what can only be described as a Pagan Bitchfest on the poor man, and then proceeded to post about him and his apparent rudeness on Facebook. She got reported to the higher-ups and canned. And then she went on to say on Facebook that she was fired because of her religious beliefs and how that was illegal and oh, man, that company is in trouble now.

No. She got fired because of her attitude, and because she escalated it, now she's in even more hot water. It's sort of a double-standard these kinds of people have. "Don't you DARE talk to me about your religion! Stand there and listen as I bitch to you about THE GODDESS!"

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Sealicorn posted:

I love that fedoras exist because they serve as a perfect radar for detecting horribly broken people. It embodies that perfect combination of a complete lack of social awareness and a misguided attempt to have a "cool" or "mysterious" image. All of my stories that might be even slightly worthy of this thread involve a fedora to some extent.

Alan and Master Jack should be glad that the dragons never answered their summons. Don't they realize that every aspiring warlock will inevitably be eaten by whatever demon or dragon or metaspiritual badboy that they summon? :devil:

Then again, maybe that's what they'd want :eng99:

I have met a total of one person my whole life who wore a fedora on a regular basis and wasn't a brony/weirdo/supergoon. He also unironically wears jorts and wolf shirts on a regular basis, so you'd think he'd at least be socially awkward. Nope.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I have met a total of one person my whole life who wore a fedora on a regular basis and wasn't a brony/weirdo/supergoon. He also unironically wears jorts and wolf shirts on a regular basis, so you'd think he'd at least be socially awkward. Nope.

One of my friends wears fedoras and other dapper hats every day, but along with vests and pinstripe pants and very fancy shoes. We make fun of him for it, but he genuinely looks great and is also not a neckbeard. He's tall and very slender and well groomed, socializes like a normal person, bathes, etc.

We joke that he invented hipsterism, because he was doing a lot of hipster stuff WAY before it became a thing. We also have a friend who everyone calls Grandpa Goth because he was into the scene before a lot of modern-day "goth" kids were even born.

Lots of my friends are strange people, but they're not maladjusted :)

The other group of people who can wear fedoras is older black men. They always look cool.

Farbauti
Dec 8, 2011

I have met a total of one person my whole life who wore a fedora on a regular basis and wasn't a brony/weirdo/supergoon.

One of my closest friends also wears one and though I keep threatening to burn that bloody hat it certainly gets results with women (it also helps that he's a great guy). He pulls it off as part of an overall package, whilst people like Rottweiler are just douchebags in a hat.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Lt. Marmalade posted:

Could you explain in what way your friend interprets "Green Men"? I knew a guy from the Pagan Club who we called "Green Bob" and everyone thought he was spiritually a tree. I was wondering if maybe other people believe similar things.

To my knowledge the Green Man's just another title for any male appearing diety of the fields/wood (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm not 100% as to if there's any particular named diety she's meaning other than some mix of surface reading and media interpretation(for a bit she was convinced that the '73 Wicker Man setting was a real place but the people were misrepresented since 'Pagans aren't murderers'). She's never ascribed a diety name beyond Green Man when I've asked and the little statue/icon she has up to represent him in the house is the standard male face shaped out of leaves thing.

Frost Alias posted:

She got reported to the higher-ups and canned. And then she went on to say on Facebook that she was fired because of her religious beliefs and how that was illegal and oh, man, that company is in trouble now.

No. She got fired because of her attitude, and because she escalated it, now she's in even more hot water. It's sort of a double-standard these kinds of people have. "Don't you DARE talk to me about your religion! Stand there and listen as I bitch to you about THE GODDESS!"

I wonder if the persecution complex is more from on some level they are aware that the current Pagan movement is a very new religion compared to other Faiths and is pretty much lacking any period of actual martyrdom so in some strange way they feel left out for lack of better words. But then I look at the subsets of Christians or Atheists who insist they're being persecuted and I wonder if it's just a particular mindset that enjoys playing the victim card.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

James Trickington posted:

God I want to see some footage of this ritual.

You know, I have seen footage of at least one weeaboo's idea of a magic ritual. I will give you fair warning: This story has a bunch of kids acting mean.

The Lon Evers Tape

Long ago, before I met them, my group of friends used to hang out at one particular place. It was called "The Hinkley House", because it was located in Hinkley, Ohio. It was pretty much an entire house made into a teenage clubhouse, and it lived in full or part time by several of the friends. It was pretty much what you would imagine if a bunch of bachelor males lived together full time. Plants grew in from outside. The toilet teetered dangerously over a hole worn through the floor. Cups were glued to tables by spilled beer. But I digress...

One of the members of the house, named Dave, met another teen while playing Magic: The Gathering. I'll call this guy "Lon Evers". Lon was clearly a real dweeb, but he showed up at all the M:TG meets back then, so Dave kind of hung out with him by default. In fact, he lived in the same neighborhood as the house, so they sometimes met at Denny's at 3:00 in the morning.

One evening, after playing against Dave in a game, Lon confided to him that he "could do real magic". Dave kind of nodded and scooted away, but later that night an idea came to him. A very teenage idea. Why not show Lon some "real" magic of his own?

With the help of the entire household, he put together a plan. Next time they played together, Dave confided back to Lon that he could do real magic as well. In fact, he was hoping to summon a demon, but he needed some help. Could Lon be so kind as to add his magic powers to the mix?

Lon jumped at the chance. Dave invited him over to the house the next Saturday evening. They were alone inside. Dave led Lon to the basement, which was handily equipped with a hidden video camera. He gave Lon a magic potion to drink (Yoohoo mixed with laxatives), and chanted a few words. Then he invited Lon to finish the ritual.

It was kind of disappointing what Lon came up with, actually. He just mumbled some things in rhyme and spun around in circles. At one point he grabbed a stick and shook it around. Dave gamely played along, stopping to make faces at the camera when Lon wasn't looking. After a few minutes Lon said he was done. Nothing happened, of course.

Dave suggested that maybe they needed moonlight to do the ritual correctly. He led Lon to the backyard. They started the ritual again. Suddenly, there was a shower of sparks. A line of explosions streaked from the yard to the woods behind. A tree caught fire. And from the forest came a nude figure, with blue skin and horns, howling like a banshee.

Lon ran screaming from the backyard towards his house. According to Dave, he avoided coming to any further Magic tournaments, and kept far away from all members of the house. I have personally seen a recording of the setup, including my friend Mark half-way through being painted blue, and my friend Jeff smoking a cigarette while laying gunpowder on the ground. I've seen footage of the ritual as well, complete with Dave making faces. Sadly, the camera hidden in the woods to record the reveal did not work.

As a followup, several years after seeing the tape, I ran into Lon at a gaming convention. It was surreal - like meeting Santa. A man of myth and legend. He's still a dweeb. And I asked him "Hey, do you know there's this tape...?". He grimaced, waved his hand dismissively, and walked away.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
This tape wouldn't be on youtube or anywhere linkable, would it?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That doesn't fit the rest of the thread. Way too awesome.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Sealicorn posted:

I love that fedoras exist because they serve as a perfect radar for detecting horribly broken people.

The irony is that even when they were fashionable, they were associated with some pretty awful human beings - Frank Sinatra and his circle, more or less the entire American Mafia, members of the Gestapo...

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

But also Philip Marlowe who is awesome. And uh, fictional.

They're just from an era when movies tell us that men were cool and suave and aloof and cynical. Which is how every misanthropic insecure dork wants to see himself.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Corridor posted:

But also Philip Marlowe who is awesome. And uh, fictional.

They're just from an era when movies tell us that men were cool and suave and aloof and cynical. Which is how every misanthropic insecure dork wants to see himself.

I also think Harry Dresden has a lot to do with it, too.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

InEscape posted:

I also think Harry Dresden has a lot to do with it, too.

Dresden doesn't do hats :colbert:

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

General Panic posted:

The irony is that even when they were fashionable, they were associated with some pretty awful human beings - Frank Sinatra and his circle, more or less the entire American Mafia, members of the Gestapo...

I really like hats and it makes me sad that I cannot wear a fedora. I lamented this until I went to the movies and saw some unwashed socially inept teenagers wearing their fedoras (one with a gear!) who wore them throughout the entire film. I pity the group seated behind them. Why must the crazies ruin hats? I have crazy hair and I wish that there was a socially acceptable alternative to baseball caps.

The fedora and smoking both come off as cool from the old films, and both should be avoided for health reasons.

RickyDarius
Feb 5, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Dresden doesn't do hats :colbert:

I love that Jim and his book artist have this ongoing hat fight. Harry in the book doesn't do hats, but the artist keeps drawing more and more elaborate hats on the cover art.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

General Panic posted:

Fun fact: Fedora's were originally women's hats!

I have a lot of crazy hats that I don't really wear anymore due to the fashion thread. I love hats.

Sealicorn
Mar 9, 2007

Feed me that fish!
I'll grant a wish.
Dungeons and Damiens

I used to work in the videogames industry for an early summer job so I got to meet a lot of "exceptional" individuals. One of these was a boy man guy DRAGON named Damien. Damien work on a station next to mine which meant that I got to hear a lot of stories from him. I think that he's one of those people who mistakes "proximity" for "friendship" because he ended up wrapping an alarmingly significant amount of his life around my existence. I didn't really pay him much regard while I was actually working there. His instant messenger handle was even "theautistickid" along with a bunch of numbers and symbols.

Damien was generally the kind of person that you would really want to avoid. He had mentioned his draconic nature to me a few times, a sort of obnoxious otherkinish thing that I tried to ignore. Tying in to the fedora conversation earlier, one of the most memorable moments was when he was invited by one of my more adventurous coworkers to come out to big group dinner at a chinese place. The invitation specifically said to "clean up before coming and don't wear that gross fedora." There were two things that he very explicitly didn't do.

The interesting part of the story begins when Damien managed to exhume my old yahoo! instant messenger address. I was casually frittering my day away when I get this message of GRAVE IMPORTANCE. You see, Damien himself wasn't just a dragon, trapped eternally in a flabby and generally humanlike body. He was a dragon from another planet. And he wasn't the only dragon trapped in a human body, you see. His carefully honed ability to recognize spirits informed him that I was, in fact, a dragon. And not just any dragon, I was a "guardian" a special spiritual subspecies of magic users that is destined to fight against humanity after the apocalypse of 2012 causes all otherkin to transform into their true shapes.

Damien was convinced that I was supposed to teach him more about magic after I had my true awakening. I calmly tried to persuade him that 2012 was just a myth and even the Mayan calendar didn't see it as a time of apocalypse. Even better, he didn't realize that there was a specific date for it, he thought that the 2012 apocalypse/otherkin war was at the beginning of the year... So I guess we can all consider ourselves lucky for surviving. The kicker is that the leader of the human forces in the human/otherkin war would be OBAMA. Damien really really hated that man.

I realized at that point that my true draconic nature might explain his weird obsession with me. Either that or his weird obsession led to him entwining me into his 'sperg fantasies. I actually entertained his weird messages after a while, just to see where they led to. In the end it led to him getting frustrated and saying that the war would be lost because of me. He even called me a "psychic vampire" :(

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Domus posted:

You know, I have seen footage of at least one weeaboo's idea of a magic ritual. I will give you fair warning: This story has a bunch of kids acting mean.

The Lon Evers Tape

Long ago, before I met them, my group of friends used to hang out at one particular place. It was called "The Hinkley House", because it was located in Hinkley, Ohio. It was pretty much an entire house made into a teenage clubhouse, and it lived in full or part time by several of the friends. It was pretty much what you would imagine if a bunch of bachelor males lived together full time. Plants grew in from outside. The toilet teetered dangerously over a hole worn through the floor. Cups were glued to tables by spilled beer. But I digress...

One of the members of the house, named Dave, met another teen while playing Magic: The Gathering. I'll call this guy "Lon Evers". Lon was clearly a real dweeb, but he showed up at all the M:TG meets back then, so Dave kind of hung out with him by default. In fact, he lived in the same neighborhood as the house, so they sometimes met at Denny's at 3:00 in the morning.

One evening, after playing against Dave in a game, Lon confided to him that he "could do real magic". Dave kind of nodded and scooted away, but later that night an idea came to him. A very teenage idea. Why not show Lon some "real" magic of his own?

With the help of the entire household, he put together a plan. Next time they played together, Dave confided back to Lon that he could do real magic as well. In fact, he was hoping to summon a demon, but he needed some help. Could Lon be so kind as to add his magic powers to the mix?

Lon jumped at the chance. Dave invited him over to the house the next Saturday evening. They were alone inside. Dave led Lon to the basement, which was handily equipped with a hidden video camera. He gave Lon a magic potion to drink (Yoohoo mixed with laxatives), and chanted a few words. Then he invited Lon to finish the ritual.

It was kind of disappointing what Lon came up with, actually. He just mumbled some things in rhyme and spun around in circles. At one point he grabbed a stick and shook it around. Dave gamely played along, stopping to make faces at the camera when Lon wasn't looking. After a few minutes Lon said he was done. Nothing happened, of course.

Dave suggested that maybe they needed moonlight to do the ritual correctly. He led Lon to the backyard. They started the ritual again. Suddenly, there was a shower of sparks. A line of explosions streaked from the yard to the woods behind. A tree caught fire. And from the forest came a nude figure, with blue skin and horns, howling like a banshee.

Lon ran screaming from the backyard towards his house. According to Dave, he avoided coming to any further Magic tournaments, and kept far away from all members of the house. I have personally seen a recording of the setup, including my friend Mark half-way through being painted blue, and my friend Jeff smoking a cigarette while laying gunpowder on the ground. I've seen footage of the ritual as well, complete with Dave making faces. Sadly, the camera hidden in the woods to record the reveal did not work.

As a followup, several years after seeing the tape, I ran into Lon at a gaming convention. It was surreal - like meeting Santa. A man of myth and legend. He's still a dweeb. And I asked him "Hey, do you know there's this tape...?". He grimaced, waved his hand dismissively, and walked away.

Vids or it didn't happen.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Sealicorn posted:

In the end it led to him getting frustrated and saying that the war would be lost because of me. He even called me a "psychic vampire" :(

Was calling you that meant to be an insult? Because dayamn...

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

M_Sinistrari posted:

To my knowledge the Green Man's just another title for any male appearing diety of the fields/wood (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm not 100% as to if there's any particular named diety she's meaning other than some mix of surface reading and media interpretation(for a bit she was convinced that the '73 Wicker Man setting was a real place but the people were misrepresented since 'Pagans aren't murderers'). She's never ascribed a diety name beyond Green Man when I've asked and the little statue/icon she has up to represent him in the house is the standard male face shaped out of leaves thing.

Green Man info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Man

Note the date of the name Green Man.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Nessa posted:

Fun fact: Fedora's were originally women's hats!

I have a lot of crazy hats that I don't really wear anymore due to the fashion thread. I love hats.

I have a tweed Trilby that I absolutely love, but almost never wear :( I like unisex hats because I have an enormous head and the cute women's hats are often comically small on me.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

treiz01 posted:

Vids or it didn't happen.

Hmm. Dave is now pretty high up in the banking world. I don't know if he'd want them released or not. I'll have to ask.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Domus posted:

Hmm. Dave is now pretty high up in the banking world. I don't know if he'd want them released or not. I'll have to ask.

This is bigger than him. It is bigger than all of us. Those videos need to be shared with the WORLD.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Sealicorn posted:

I was a "guardian" a special spiritual subspecies of magic users that is destined to fight against humanity after the apocalypse of 2012 causes all otherkin to transform into their true shapes.

:aaaaa:

This is amazing and the very best crazy 2012 theory forever.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

hyperhazard posted:

Man, after being introduced to the old E/N thread about Huntersoninski's stalker, I realized that I've accidentally contributed to a lot of Nice Guy/Girl world views.

For instance, the NG I knew in college spent two weeks asking out every girl he knew on a date. Most people rejected him, but kindly. When he came around to me, he was incredibly mopy and oozing this awkward desperation. I felt bad, and told him I wasn't in a good place right then for a relationship with him.

Yeah, I gave him the "It's not you, it's me" spiel. :doh:

Getting similar responses from everyone else just cemented his opinion that girls were all hosed up and unstable. We were all trying to be kind to him, but in retrospect, one of us should have given him a hard "gently caress off."

Or maybe that's mean, I don't know. He's pretty messed up right now, and I feel bad that I only made it worse.

I know this is from ages ago, but it is SO WEIRD to see this thread pop up randomly in other discussions!

but if there's one thing I learned from that whole mess, it's that you should never guilt yourself for someone being socially stunted, awkward, or creepy (unless you're like, their parent or something). It's not your job to fix anyone, and protecting yourself/calling them out isn't ruining their life. They ruin their own lives by continuing weird creepy behavior.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Rahonavis posted:

:aaaaa:

This is amazing and the very best crazy 2012 theory forever.

I know, right!? I saw that and couldn't stop smiling for several minutes. Would've burst into laughter were I not on a train at the time. If someone told that to me in person though I don't think I could've kept myself from laughing at them, though.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
There's something about Mary

As I mentioned previously, I've met my share of crazies in the various lovely art classes that I took a few years ago. Here's another:

I was hanging out in the yard at the art academy, talking to a few friends from my class, when I noticed a girl sitting on the bench by herself, looking a bit lost. I felt kinda bad for her (I find myself in that position a lot so I can relate), so I decided to go talk to her. She introduced herself as Mary (not her real name) and seemed like a completely normal girl. She casually mentioned being pagan, and we had a pleasant conversation about school (she went to a different class and wanted to know more about mine). She eventually told me that she was leaving because she was supposed to meet up with her boyfriend somewhere.

After she left, one of her classmates approached me and said "I hope you didn't give her your number or email address."

I said "no, why?"

He answered simply, "because she's really, really crazy".

I didn't believe him at first. She just looked and sounded so normal. So about a week later, I saw her sitting outside during class break and I asked her about her path, since she had told me she was pagan.

She told me that she was from the House Earth. I had no idea what that meant, so I asked her to explain, and she said it was too complicated and also a secret, and only qualified people could know about it. She then abruptly changed the subject and asked me if I remembered the last name of Harry Potter's best friend. I thought that was kinda weird but I went ahead and said "Weasley". She smiled and said "okay, I can tell you everything then. But not here. Can I have your email address?"

I gave her a throaway Hotmail address because by that point I was pretty sure that her classmates were not lying.

That night, I got the strangest email from her.

Mary was convinced that there was a secret, hidden world of witches and wizards (yes, thanks to Harry Potter) and that they were at war with demons, and that her "real" parents were witches from this other world, who had sent her to the human world to keep her safe. She believed that other "special witch children", who she referred to as "changelings" (obviously not aware of the actual meaning of the word) had been sent to this world too, and that they all had to find each other somehow and "unite their powers" to win the great witch war or something like that.

She thought that JK Rowling was actually an "agent" from the witch world and that the Harry Potter books had been written for these special witch kids, to "awaken their true self". She firmly believed that the Houses in HP were meant to symbolize the "real" witch Houses. I don't remember every one of them anymore but Gryffindor was "Fire" and Hufflepuff was "Earth", I think. She also said that HP was "a completely different book if you knew how to read it".

Her imaginary boyfriend was actually a prince (of course) from the House Fire and his brother was next in line for the throne and they were both smoking hot and had sex with each other (because incest is omg sooo hot right????) and also they "shared" her in bed. Why she thought I wanted to know that is beyond me, but anyway.

I honestly thought it was all some kind of elaborate prank to gently caress with me, but no. It wasn't. She asked me the very next day if I had received her email, and if I thought I was "one of them". I told her no, and politely mentioned that she should probably seek help, and she got really mad and told me to "never cross paths with her again".

I never talked to her again after that. Last I heard she was roleplaying on some Wheel of Time x Harry Potter crossover site or livejournal community or something.

In retrospect, I probably should have introduced her to Jeff. I'm sure they would have had beautiful babies.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Raiche posted:

The fedora and smoking both come off as cool from the old films, and both should be avoided for health reasons.
As a hat wearing hypocrite I can note that most are actually wearing a variant of a Trilby/Tyrolean not Fedoras - even though they're part of that family.

A decent hat is pretty much a fine art - the trick is to keep it in ratio with the elements of your face for it to work well.
The main issue is most are just grabbed off the shelf at some department store and don't fit the wearer's head or the peaks and crowns exaggerate facial features.

The big joke is that many grab one because they want to appear unique. They try to create personality from appearance and association (Fedora = Bogart class) so assume their clothing says it all when body language and mannerisms say far more.
The Hel-Looks guys are kind of prime examples for people who overly attach sentimentality to what they wear and somehow expect people to second guess they're wearing their parents old clothes and that a hat from a Paris thrift store is worth more than the pennies they got it for and that it means something deeeep.

I presume every guy on that site has a mental defect as most of the women there seem to be aware of colour coordination and stuff that fits and actually look pretty swish when they don't look like they're homeless.

Farbauti
Dec 8, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

In retrospect, I probably should have introduced her to Jeff. I'm sure they would have had beautiful babies.

Those poor poor children wouldn't stand a chance. :psyduck:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Farbauti posted:

Those poor poor children wouldn't stand a chance. :psyduck:

My guess is that they would have became far-right evangelical Christians.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

WebDog posted:

The big joke is that many grab one because they want to appear unique. They try to create personality from appearance and association (Fedora = Bogart class) so assume their clothing says it all when body language and mannerisms say far more.
That's not to mention that (at least in my experience) most fedora-wearers can't be arsed to wear clothing that even closely resembles the age or style. No, a fedora does not go with jeans and a hoodie or board shorts and a t-shirt why do I even need to tell you this. :argh:

I wear a porkpie when it's cold out but it's with business clothes that match and I've been told that it looks good by multiple parties (without having to ask). I still have to wonder if I look like a colossal tool and nobody will tell me the truth. Thank fedora-wearing spergs for ruining hats forever.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Huntersoninski posted:

I know this is from ages ago, but it is SO WEIRD to see this thread pop up randomly in other discussions!

but if there's one thing I learned from that whole mess, it's that you should never guilt yourself for someone being socially stunted, awkward, or creepy (unless you're like, their parent or something). It's not your job to fix anyone, and protecting yourself/calling them out isn't ruining their life. They ruin their own lives by continuing weird creepy behavior.
That was such an amazing thread, but I'm sorry you had to go through that. What shocked me was the number of people saying that you were leading him on, and blaming you for his creepy behavior.

There's a good moral to the story, though, like you said. I wish I had known that back in college. :)

the kawaiiest posted:

She firmly believed that the Houses in HP were meant to symbolize the "real" witch Houses. I don't remember every one of them anymore but Gryffindor was "Fire" and Hufflepuff was "Earth", I think.
Air and water? Maybe that would make too much sense.*

*("sense")

stablercake
Feb 29, 2012

beefcake
I know this is like 20 pages late (and like 2 months-ish) but I knew I'd forget if I didn't post until I got to page 98 reading page-by-page (at work).

I'm still on decent terms with the lass formerly known as Snapesnogger. Since last we spoke which may have been a year ago, she's still drawing (rather decently actually) and trying to move away from her spazzy past and developing stories with a world of bug-folks and the 4 seasons. We haven't spoke in a long time but I still watch her on DA and everything because I like the colors she uses.

I met Snapesnogger post-meltdown on a certain gallery geared to waify anime dudes that I joined so I could be surrounded with other people who preferred to draw the male form (MAN WAS I WRONG I was such a minority oh god). We had created a weird stink on the site by starting a club featuring muppet-like puppet characters called Foam Ghetto. My stories and characters were half-trolls and mostly for the humor of the absudity of the idea. I tried my damnedest to keep the waify and retarded characters from infiltrating, but eventually they got through and it fell apart, I don't post much on there anymore but I do still have an e-buddy from the group that I'm still friendly with who's not crazy (most of the others were).

Anyway, when we first internet-met I didn't know anything about the Snapesnogger fiasco but a lot of other people on the site did and she'd get poo poo from time to time. My work stood to her I guess and I liked her lines and colors so we were friendly with one-another. Honestly, she did a lot of self-deprication to me which got on my nerves sometimes because I had to work to pick up her spirits, but I think at heart she was a good person who just had some bad teenage decisions blow up huge in her face (of which I have many and I fully intend to share those that are related to a friend and her believing she was the next grim reaper) but she just can't get over the stigma. Honestly she still gets poo poo for the Snapesnogger thing from time to time. I'd be bummed if I kept getting poo poo for the really stupid things I did in my teens so I sorta feel bad for her.

I do believe however that her current style which has heavy emphasis on noses that tend to be larger than average is a rebellion against part of what she was initially made fun of for.

Also, I believe she's from the UK but living in Australia, or that was my understanding last time I spoke with her.

This isn't a complaint on previous posts, more to just be informative to anyone looking for what happened to her after the fall.

James Trickington
Apr 23, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

One of my friends wears fedoras and other dapper hats every day, but along with vests and pinstripe pants and very fancy shoes. We make fun of him for it, but he genuinely looks great and is also not a neckbeard. He's tall and very slender and well groomed, socializes like a normal person, bathes, etc.

He must be in the extreme minority.

What is the woman's equivalent to the fedora? Is there one? I mean a clothing / style equivalent to an enormous red flag. I guess FF7 Jen's skirt top counts but that's a unique case as far as I know.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

He must be in the extreme minority.

What is the woman's equivalent to the fedora? Is there one? I mean a clothing / style equivalent to an enormous red flag. I guess FF7 Jen's skirt top counts but that's a unique case as far as I know.

Every woman I've ever known who regularly wore long jean-skirts has usually been a fundamentalist Christian. That's the only female equivalent I can think of.

If I ever saw a girl in a bonnet and she wasn't Amish, that would sort of weird me out, too. I hope those don't somehow make a comeback.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

It might just be in my area, but from what I've seen the flag is...still a fedora. Every girl I've seen at my university that wears a fedora (granted, there's only been a few I've seen) has at some point talked about her fanfiction. In public. To people she doesn't know very well.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Champignon posted:

That's not to mention that (at least in my experience) most fedora-wearers can't be arsed to wear clothing that even closely resembles the age or style. No, a fedora does not go with jeans and a hoodie or board shorts and a t-shirt why do I even need to tell you this. :argh:

I wear a porkpie when it's cold out but it's with business clothes that match and I've been told that it looks good by multiple parties (without having to ask). I still have to wonder if I look like a colossal tool and nobody will tell me the truth. Thank fedora-wearing spergs for ruining hats forever.

My boyfriend wears a trilby in the winter with a wool peacoat, dress pants and a button-up shirt and he gets complimented on the hat quite regularly. And he still doesn't like wearing it because of the negative associations.

Bowler hats are also on the rise in the nerd circles.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

GidgetNomates posted:

It might just be in my area, but from what I've seen the flag is...still a fedora. Every girl I've seen at my university that wears a fedora (granted, there's only been a few I've seen) has at some point talked about her fanfiction. In public. To people she doesn't know very well.

Agreed. I've known a lot of "quirky" girls who have all work fedoras. They were all furries, too.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard

If I ever saw a girl in a bonnet and she wasn't Amish, that would sort of weird me out, too. I hope those don't somehow make a comeback.

Stay away from gothic lolitas then! My friend makes, sells, and wears bonnets. They're pretty pricey!

Wait, I guess lolita fashion itself is sort of a red flag :blush:
Random strangers do ask if we're Amish once in a while!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

I always thought the girl equivalent of the fedora or the wolf shirt was cat ears...

• Locked thread