Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I take a lot of Mass Effect Screenshots. If you want to use any of them for wallpapers or make icons or whatever, that's what they're there for, so feel free. The ME3 collection is here.

There are already 230+ ready made for SA icons from ME1 & 2 here, I'll get around to doing it for ME3 or take requests from what I have already if you want.

I've also been making some videos. So far I just have a "funny Joker lines" vid and the complete Conrad Verner in ME3 (in case you missed a huge chunk of his dialog, which a lot of people do) both here. I also have a set of Kaidan romance centric vids here.

ANNNND I've sent the masseffect3saves.com database design off to my programmer friend, hopefully he has time to work on it soon. If you want to take a look and have any suggestions of things that need to be added, it's here.

I could also use the help of someone at least a little good with graphics as I need a masseffect3saves.com image made (starring default Femshep) for the image on every page of the site. If anyone can help, I will pay $25. AIM AnnakieSA or email annakie at masseffectsaves.com. Thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Finally played Priority: Tuchanka. Taking Garrus and Javik was a good idea. They're my favorite squad right now.

I ended up falling through the floor, which killed me instantly, and then the game froze trying to reload it. Thank god for autosave, jeez.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

RentACop posted:

The invisible cockpit paralysis trap is why I never talk to joker anymore
I've had trouble with that too, and found that I can avoid it by standing just to the left of EDI.

Annakie posted:

[screenshots stuff]
On the off chance that anyone cares: I also have a stash of ME2 screenshots, all neatly categorised and stuff. I'll probably add a gallery for ME3 at some point, but I think I'll get a bigger monitor first.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RentACop posted:

The invisible cockpit paralysis trap is why I never talk to joker anymore

That one's easy to avoid. The trap is, I think, the slanted bit of deck just behind Joker. When it dumps you out of the conversation, I think it sticks you partly into the deck so you can't move. The solution is just to walk right up next to Joker's chair instead of standing behind him. After I started doing that I never had the problem again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

gowb posted:

PS3! It isn't technically freezing on me. It just sometimes (often) stops on loading screens and displays the spinning loading symbol (with everything moving) forever. I have to quit out of the game to get past it. I don't think I can return it, I got it used on Amazon. :ohdear:

The PS3 version has Known Issues including freezing on loading screens and the framerate randomly dropping to literal single digits. Some people are bitching that it happens to them "all the time". Personally, out of 60+ hours of play (multi and single player combined), I've had one loading screen freeze in single player and one night where my framerate got destroyed in multi (it was also bad in single player, so it wasn't my internet connection). Quitting the game, shutting off the console, and turning it back on 10 minutes later fixed it.

This game, since BioWare are idiots, doesn't have an HDD install so it's literally reading the Blu-Ray nonstop, which seems to cause my system to run hotter than normal. Not abnormally hot, but let's just say when I play any other game, including Skyrim, the system barely gets warm at all.

The fact that it's constantly streaming data from the disc is also (probably) why the PS3 version has choppy cutscenes and such as well, since the PS3's BD is kind of slow as hell.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

So, um, okay.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-21-mass-effect-3-dlc-coming-to-final-fantasy-13-2

Did Square-Enix get confused about which sci-fi shooter they published or what?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Doomhammer posted:

So, um, okay.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-21-mass-effect-3-dlc-coming-to-final-fantasy-13-2

I just laughed for a solid minute straight looking at that picture. I don't know if this is the best or worst thing.

(Who am I kidding, I'll probably buy it if it's only like $2)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Even if that picture is hilarious (that kid must be floating inside the N7 armour), for some reason I always like to see Western videogames get promoted and be successful in Japan. It's just always seemed so profoundly dumb to me that there is this sort of one-way mirror by which Western audiences get to enjoy and learn from Japanese games, but Japanese players are pretty much left out to dry.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

The Doomhammer posted:

So, um, okay.

As if the Final Fantasy franchise wasn't silly enough already.

NihilCredo posted:

Even if that picture is hilarious (that kid must be floating inside the N7 armour), for some reason I always like to see Western videogames get promoted and be successful in Japan. It's just always seemed so profoundly dumb to me that there is this sort of one-way mirror by which Western audiences get to enjoy and learn from Japanese games, but Japanese players are pretty much left out to dry.
I could well be completely wrong about this, but over the years I've gained the impression that the Japanese market simply doesn't have much of a taste for many Western games. Of course, the opposite seems to be true as well, considering some of the outlandish titles produced in Japan that never make it out of Asia.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

So while I've no doubt the spoiler thread is all over it, it should at least be mentioned in here that Bioware making changes to the ending.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

The Doomhammer posted:

So, um, okay.

quote:

The pack follows the previously announced Assassin's Creed: Revelations crossover, which adds Ezio's Constantinople costume for Noel.
I guess they don't want costumes from games with better endings.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Noxville posted:

So while I've no doubt the spoiler thread is all over it, it should at least be mentioned in here that Bioware making changes to the ending.
Let's not jump to conclusions, here. There's no explicit promises in there to change the ending(s). The announcement that work is being done "on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey" may not mean anything more than "there'll be an epilogue that shows/tells you exactly what happens after Shepard fires the Crucible". That's better than nothing, but I would strongly advise against getting your hopes up very much that we'll get genuinely new endings.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 21, 2012

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
It would be absurd to change the endings but I would be ok with them fleshing out the cutscene for each ending.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm actually tempted to get the N7 armor. And it's interesting to hear that Noel and Serah get it through going to some future time in the Historia Crux. I do wonder how they're going to play this out.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Let's not jump to conclusions, here. There's no explicit promises in there to change the ending(s). The announcement that work is being done "on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey" may not mean anything more than "there'll be an epilogue that shows/tells you exactly what happens after Shepard fires the Crucible". That's better than nothing, but I would strongly advise against getting your hopes up very much that we'll get genuinely new endings.

Oh yeah, that's why I made sure phrase it as 'making changes to the ending' rather than 'changing the ending'.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 21, 2012

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Noxville posted:

Same old BioWare bullshit PR that Dragon Age 2 had.

quote:

The reaction to the release of Mass Effect 3 has been unprecedented. On one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded; we care about this feedback, and we’re planning to directly address it. However, most folks appear to agree that the game as a whole is exceptional, with more than 75 critics giving it a perfect review score and a review average in the mid-90s.

Translation: "We made a perfect game. If you don't like the ending, you probably don't "get" it."

quote:

Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example – has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary.

Translation: "I'd like to see YOU make a better ending. :smug: "

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That N7 armor is legitimately better than anything else Serah can wear in the game.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

precision posted:

Same old BioWare bullshit PR that Dragon Age 2 had.

Translation: "We made a perfect game. If you don't like the ending, you probably don't "get" it."

Translation: "I'd like to see YOU make a better ending. :smug: "

I didn't like the way the games ended either, but you are going a long way to intentionally misunderstand what he's saying in these quotes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snicker-Snack posted:

I didn't like the way the games ended either, but you are going a long way to intentionally misunderstand what he's saying in these quotes

I'm exaggerating for effect, but after reading his press releases about Dragon Age 2 I feel fairly confident about my interpretations of that guy's words. He's a bag of dicks.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
Alright. I just ran into something terribly depressing. ME2 character spoiler in ME3 One of the random Banshees on earth, if you chose to let Morinth live? It's.. Named Morinth. She was turned and you're forced to kill whatever she is now.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Noxville posted:

Oh yeah, that's why I made sure phrase it as 'making changes to the ending' rather than 'changing the ending'.
Well, if you mean purely cosmetic changes (e.g. extending the finale by making the Catalyst talk to you some more or by showing/telling the player what happens afterwards), then fair enough.

Also I just realised that I put a bit of a spoiler in my previous post, which I've now corrected; maybe you could black out the pertinent bit in your quote?

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Do Shepard's scars not carry over from ME2?

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Houdini posted:

Don't know if they carry over, but my Paragon Shep was advised by the ship's doctor that the scars could appear if I was bad (for some reason I can't remember).

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Houdini posted:

I've never had a scarred-up Shepard (it is because I am a bloody hippy and can't stand to be a dick to everyone), but I think it's simply dependent on how Renegade you are. The first time you talk to Dr. Chakwas on the Normandy, she'll want to do a quick examination. After she's run it, she'll talk to you about implant rejection and scarring and positive outlook and blahblah. Seems like the same deal as in ME2, so be an unsympathetic hardass to everyone and you'll look like something out of a nightmare again in no time at all!

EDIT: goddamn this world, goddamn it to HELL !!

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Vagon posted:

Alright. I just ran into something terribly depressing. ME2 character spoiler in ME3 One of the random Banshees on earth, if you chose to let Morinth live? It's.. Named Morinth. She was turned and you're forced to kill whatever she is now.

Similarly, I've seen screenshots where one of the random phantoms you run into at the main Cerberus base is named Jack. So I guess if you fail to rescue Grissom academy or she isn't loyal from ME2 she gets turned into a Phantom?

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Streebs posted:

It would be absurd to change the endings but I would be ok with them fleshing out the cutscene for each ending.

Why would changing the ending be absurd? It's been rehashed endlessly why everything after Hackett calls you is nonsensical crap.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Streebs posted:

Similarly, I've seen screenshots where one of the random phantoms you run into at the main Cerberus base is named Jack. So I guess if you fail to rescue Grissom academy or she isn't loyal from ME2 she gets turned into a Phantom?

I'm pretty sure that the only way she gets turned into a phantom is if you don't rescue Grissom Academy -- she survives that mission whether she was loyal or not.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I assume this will be a free patch but the wording seems a bit ambiguous which worries me a bit. Anyone have any idea? I guess it's too early to tell and I didn't see it in the official announcement. I ask because I can't really remember ever encountering a situation like this.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

The Gunslinger posted:

I assume this will be a free patch but the wording seems a bit ambiguous which worries me a bit. Anyone have any idea? I guess it's too early to tell and I didn't see it in the official announcement. I ask because I can't really remember ever encountering a situation like this.

They are scrambling to get something done by next month it said. They are being ambiguous because they are still in full damage control right now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So having a talk with Liara she mentioned that if we had found another prothean beacon, we could have convinced the counciul of the Reaper's existence sooner. Wasn't there a sidequest that led to you finding an intact beacon in ME2 though?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

So having a talk with Liara she mentioned that if we had found another prothean beacon, we could have convinced the counciul of the Reaper's existence sooner. Wasn't there a sidequest that led to you finding an intact beacon in ME2 though?
At the end of the N7 mission on Joab, you find a Prothean pyramid/device that gives Shepard another vision (actually the same as in ME1 I think, save for the conspicuous picture of a Prothean/Collector). Perhaps it only fired once, or did not respond to anyone else, though.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
I was a huge fan of ME1 and 2, and I'm astonished by how bad this game is. Or at least, by how everything seems to be a big step back from ME2.

First of all, combat: it still feels incredibly clunky and playing on Insanity is frustrating and dumb. Enemies always magically know where you are and instantly shoot you (ignoring the rest of your team most of the times), throw grenades with unrealistic precision, and everything feels cheap as poo poo. Half of the times you'll die because for whatever reason Bioware still thinks using the spacebar to:

Get into cover
Run
Roll out of cover
Roll generally
Revive allies

is a smart design decision. Because it's not like we have a loving keyboard at our disposal. Also, yeah, enjoy your loving Vanguard still whiffing charge randomly and getting you killed. They didn't think it was worth fixing it after ME2? I'm speechless.

Story? Oh please. Everything looks and feels like Independence Day. Writing is terrible ("We fight or we die" - seriously?) and all kinds of heavy handed messages will hit you on the head: the kid dying in the first 20 minutes of gameplay was an embarassing moment story-wise (oh look we'll just throw this kid in to kill him after 10 minutes, look at how evile the Reapers are), generic "marines" rhetoric is all over the place and even your party members seem to be less interesting than in ME2.

Gameplay is horrifying. Resource gathering wasn't perfect in ME2, but this time you just launch your probe, collect some generic poo poo you never even see an image of, and give it to generic dude number 14 in the Citadel. Welcome to ME3 sidequests! They never even feel the need to introduce you to dude number 14, you just overhear his conversation, and then give him whatever stupid artifact he wants. Who does that, even in videogames? If you stop to think about it, Commander Shepard is pretty loving creepy.

I probably don't even need to mention the small tag game you play with the Reaper ships around the galaxy, I don't think they could've come up with anything more stupid and immersion-breaking.

Graphics: nope. They are blander than in ME2, the Citadel is smaller and looks like poo poo now, the first main mission sends you on a loving rock, most side missions are in generic futuristic compounds looking samey.

Also, bugs! A lot of them! The mission where you "recruit" Kasumi crapped out on me and now I can't complete it. Another couple of side missions are hosed forever, you get stuck in poo poo, environments are glitchy, etc.

Luckily I haven't finished the game yet, I'll wait for the patch. If the ending is as crappy as the rest of the game I'll pretend the franchise ended with ME2 and ignore this piece of poo poo was ever released.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Paino posted:

:mordin:

This post is Real Dumb, even coming from the glorious PC gaming master race. Especially considering you think ME1 had good gameplay and are mad at the pop Space Opera Guns and Conversation: In Space talkgame for being heavy handed.

The sidequest things aren't glitches, but the PC version is glitchier than the X360 (and maybe the PS3 version?)

Hobbitron
Jul 6, 2005

Fool of a Took!
I'm on my first NG+ run with my Renegade, and was wondering if there was a way to not cure the genophage, and and still keep Wrex alive. The first time through I didn't have enough reputation to use the Renegade option with Mordin, and I was also an idiot and didn't defuse the bomb on Tuchunka. Will Wrex always die on the Citadel when he finds out, or is it possible to talk him down?

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

MadRhetoric posted:

Especially considering you think ME1 had good gameplay

I don't know where you read that.

Anyway, for its time, ME1 action kind of worked. Seeing the same bullshit almost 5 years later is inexcusable.

Paino fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 21, 2012

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Paino posted:

:mordin:

Why in heaven's name are you playing on Insanity if you're having problems with basic game mechanics like the cover system, revival, evasion or things like 'avoid the generously fused grenades'? The mechanics don't take long to get and use well, barring the initial counter-intuitiveness of a single action button. Drop down the difficulty from the highest setting until the challenge isn't overbearing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Insanity in ME3 switched back from ME2's level of "Hard, but doable and fun." to ME1 "You will want to kill yourself because of how hard this is."

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
ME1 action was very much terrible for it's time, specially the gunplay. Biotics were fun, but they are even funner in newer games. ME3 has significantly better combat compared to ME1, it's not even close.

Snicker-Snack fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 21, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
After all these years of climbing ninety-degree cliffs, I finally flipped the MAKO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I preferred ME1 Adept to ME2's. But ME3's its the beast hands down.

• Locked thread