Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Foiltha posted:

Sooo, remember that petition to bring Dark Souls to PC?

gently caress yes.

INSTANT PURCHASE

But if it's just a basic port with no real graphics settings and poo poo I'm gonna be butthurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Foiltha posted:

gently caress yes.

Great news! I bought it on PS3, but would certainly buy it for PC again when its on a Steam sale. I can't imagine playing it on anything except a PS3 controller, but I'm sure the XBox controller will suffice.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Siroc posted:

Great news! I bought it on PS3, but would certainly buy it for PC again when its on a Steam sale. I can't imagine playing it on anything except a PS3 controller, but I'm sure the XBox controller will suffice.

Ehhhh...I bought it for 360 on release, and my major (and only) complaint is that you can't rebind keys, so you're forced to used the 360's lovely LB and RB as your block and attack, as opposed to the triggers. It makes sense for the PS3, not so much for Xbox. Oh well, still another day one purchase for me.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm gonna play it with keyboard and mouse anyway :colbert:

BTW, that's just a full-page ad, right? No other information, like a release date and/or who's doing the porting?

e: So, wow, 2012 is looking like a tremendously interesting year for the game world:

- the Kickstarter successes of Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2
- Dark Souls 2 gets a PC port after a fan campaign
- and Bioware has all but confirmed they're working on some kind of ending-fixing DLC, again after a giant fan campaign

It's almost enough to make one feel optimist about the future of the medium.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 21, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wouldn't it be nice if that April 18th date were the release date?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
From Reddit:

I can't wait to buy Dark Souls again :dance:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Dark Souls and Diablo 3. Looks like it's time to get fired :ohdear:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

I'm gonna play it with keyboard and mouse anyway :colbert:

BTW, that's just a full-page ad, right? No other information, like a release date and/or who's doing the porting?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Wouldn't it be nice if that April 18th date were the release date?

It's not an ad for the game, just an ad for the next issue of PC PowerPlay. The next issue is coming out April 18th. They're teasing what's featured in it (very obviously Dark Souls)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's not an ad for the game, just an ad for the next issue of PC PowerPlay. The next issue is coming out April 18th. They're teasing what's featured in it (very obviously Dark Souls)

I'm hoping it's just not a grab at some publicity wherein they say something like, "Gamers put in so many signatures for a petition, now that's dedication!"

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Foiltha posted:

gently caress yes.

Wonderful. I hope Dark Souls is a major success on the PC and convinces them to port over Demon's Souls too.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Node posted:

Wonderful. I hope Dark Souls is a major success on the PC and convinces them to port over Demon's Souls too.

Combine this with all the mech games coming out on PC and maybe they'll also send us some Armored Core love :unsmith:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lblitzer posted:

I'm hoping it's just not a grab at some publicity wherein they say something like, "Gamers put in so many signatures for a petition, now that's dedication!"

That would make literally no sense though. Why would it even be in a PC magazine then.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

unSavory posted:

I have a rather interesting question for you PC gaming goons.

I like listening to music while I play games, but I'm getting sort of annoyed trying to find the right volume for in-game sound vs music volume. It seems the music is either too loud, overpowering the game sound so I can't hear anything, or too soft so I can barely hear the music, but can hear the game just fine.

If you wanted to be overly complex, you could do what I do and listen to music through a CD that's in your Xbox (or I guess you could use it as a media centre and play mp3s from your PC) then play a game on the PC and have the xbox and PC audio outputs running into a two channel mixer, with a set of speakers attached.

(I only did this because I use my monitor for both PC and Xbox, so needed a way to get audio from the Xbox without having a proper TV to plug it into)

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

INSTANT PURCHASE

But if it's just a basic port with no real graphics settings and poo poo I'm gonna be butthurt.

Instant purchase for me as well, and it's the driving force to get me to hurry up and finish the game. All I've got to do is finish off the 4 kings and then I can take on the final boss, assuming the game doesn't have any crazy curveballs to throw at me.

I mostly care about the port because, although I am head over heels in love with Dark Souls, the game runs like poo poo on consoles.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Avocados posted:

I will still happily play through ME3 three four or five times. Its a great game overall, but i'd say my biggest complaint is having to do some multiplayer to get the best endings.
:stare:

I have paid no attention to Mass Effect 3 since I do not plan on buying it until I can play it without Origin (fat chance), but now I am not sure that I plan on playing it at all. Seriously? You have to play multiplayer to get the best ending? What a bunch of absolute poo poo. Go to hell. Not you. Never shoot the messenger. Go to hell, BioWare. I have no interest in enduring constant racial slurs from children just to fully enjoy a game. There is a reason I stopped online gaming in like 1998 and play MMORPGs solo or not at all :mad:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Davincie posted:

That would make literally no sense though. Why would it even be in a PC magazine then.

Because it's a console game that many people want to come to PC???

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

According to their Wikipedia page, From Software had a PC version of Ninja Blade. How was that, port-wise?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Quarex posted:

I have paid no attention to Mass Effect 3 since I do not plan on buying it until I can play it without Origin (fat chance), but now I am not sure that I plan on playing it at all. Seriously? You have to play multiplayer to get the best ending? What a bunch of absolute poo poo. Go to hell. Not you. Never shoot the messenger. Go to hell, BioWare. I have no interest in enduring constant racial slurs from children just to fully enjoy a game. There is a reason I stopped online gaming in like 1998 and play MMORPGs solo or not at all :mad:

I've actually never had a problem with any folks in ME3 multiplayer on PC. Most either don't have a mic, or don't say too much, and when they do it's helpful game pertinent information. I think the constant slurs and epithets from children is more of a console thing, because what parents wants to spend $800+ on a gaming computer and constantly upgrade it? Well, some are out there, but most are just gonna buy their spawn a console and be done with it.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you wanted to be overly complex, you could do what I do and listen to music through a CD that's in your Xbox (or I guess you could use it as a media centre and play mp3s from your PC) then play a game on the PC and have the xbox and PC audio outputs running into a two channel mixer, with a set of speakers attached.

(I only did this because I use my monitor for both PC and Xbox, so needed a way to get audio from the Xbox without having a proper TV to plug it into)

I actually listen to podcasts when I'm gaming sometimes. What I do is have earbuds in at the same time as my over-the-ear headphones. You could try that, just having the audio independent.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Quarex posted:

You can sperg out all you want, but a) the multiplayer is really loving fun, moreso than even the main game. b) on PC at least people generally say nothing or only vital game bits. The worst crime you'll find playing with random people is half of them don't know how to play effectively. c) I still think you can raise your effectiveness score enough without MP, it just means you have to do a lot more of the side quests. not that it actually effects the loving ending much anyway

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think you need 2800 Magic Points to get the best ending, which isn't really that different from the other endings anyway, and is easily attainable without any MP play.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Quarex posted:

I do not plan on buying it until I can play it without Origin (fat chance)

Do you not play games because they are on steam?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

i think you need 2800 Magic Points to get the best ending, which isn't really that different from the other endings anyway, and is easily attainable without any MP play.
You need 4,000-5,000 effective depending on whether or not Anderson survives, meaning you'd need 8,000-10,000 total if you didn't play the multiplayer. I don't think that many assets actually exist in the game.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
The issue got mentioned on the Giant Bombcast yesterday, and I think you can only get 5000 without playing multiplayer if you imported a save from ME2 with a certain choice, most likely to do with the collector base.

e: Haha, wasn't expecting that!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

404notfound posted:

According to their Wikipedia page, From Software had a PC version of Ninja Blade. How was that, port-wise?

Not bad, not amazing. Competent is probably the best word to describe it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Not bad, not amazing. Competent is probably the best word to describe it.
At least Dark Souls is running on Sony's PhyreEngine, which is supposedly a very cross-platform engine, can't think of any PC games that use it off the top of my head though. The 360 port was really impressive all things considered.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Why does Sony make a cross-platform engine? :confused:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Quarex posted:

Yes, you need to play multi-player to unlock a three second FMV that makes no real change to the ending (I'd say it weakens the already poo poo ending). Those cunts.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Why does Sony make a cross-platform engine? :confused:

Probably to rake in a poo poo ton of royalties and license fees and to entice smaller developers who are scared to learn the PS3 architecture over the more traditional Wii and 360 architectures.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

But Not Tonight posted:

I've actually never had a problem with any folks in ME3 multiplayer on PC.
Well, that is something, at least. Combined with this:

Veotax posted:

Yes, you need to play multi-player to unlock a three second FMV that makes no real change to the ending
and this:

Category Fun! posted:

I think you can only get 5000 without playing multiplayer if you imported a save from ME2 with a certain choice, most likely to do with the collector base.
I am thinking that this particular issue is less upsetting than it initially appeared (I have no idea whether I made the right choice in 2, but if it was the "obviously right" choice about something then probably).

That said,

kri kri posted:

I love Steam. But there was not a company called Steam Systems, Inc. that released a dozen of my favorite games as a child who Valve bought out and then shut down only to bring back for the name of a crappy distribution service.

I have no problem with people thinking this is an illegitimate reason to dislike something, nor do I judge anyone for using it! Gaming Plurality! Hooray!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

kri kri posted:

If it were SteamPowered by EA I know I would definitely think twice before buying a game that required Steam to run.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Quarex posted:

Well, that is something, at least. Combined with this:

and this:

I am thinking that this particular issue is less upsetting than it initially appeared (I have no idea whether I made the right choice in 2, but if it was the "obviously right" choice about something then probably).

That said,

I love Steam. But there was not a company called Steam Systems, Inc. that released a dozen of my favorite games as a child who Valve bought out and then shut down only to bring back for the name of a crappy distribution service.

I have no problem with people thinking this is an illegitimate reason to dislike something, nor do I judge anyone for using it! Gaming Plurality! Hooray!
Also, if you lack the time or inclination to do MP or the zillion little fetch quests (especially on subsequent replays), it's REALLY easy to just cheat and edit one of your war assets to be worth like 20000 points.

(No amount of points unfortunately unlocks a more competent ending.)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

All this ME3 misinformation is getting irritating, there is a lot of shady stuff going on but misinformation won't help anybody.

Just google how to edit the .ini file to set readyness to 100% all the time if you care that loving much. That makes you have the best endings even if you are a massive tool choices-wise in addition to not importing a save.
You don't need-need MP to get good results as long as you import a ME1>ME2 save with good choices and make good choices in 3.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

So I have to play ME1 and 2 to get the most out of the game?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

You could download a save, but kinda.
You would have characters and events missing because default-choices-chep is an antisocial sociopath that killed everybody or got everybody killed.
That and not knowing who the hell the characters and events that get referenced are.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

NihilCredo posted:

Also, if you lack the time or inclination to do MP or the zillion little fetch quests (especially on subsequent replays), it's REALLY easy to just cheat and edit one of your war assets to be worth like 20000 points.

(No amount of points unfortunately unlocks a more competent ending.)

Can you tell me how to do this oh god I hate those little fetch quests!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Boiled Water posted:

So I have to play ME1 and 2 to get the most out of the game?

It's the end to a trilogy, you'd pretty much want to do it anyways

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Grimwall posted:

Can you tell me how to do this oh god I hate those little fetch quests!

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Tweaks_%28Mass_Effect_3%29#Misc_Coalesced.bin_Tweaks

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Thank you! There are also other great tweaks there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Probably to rake in a poo poo ton of royalties and license fees and to entice smaller developers who are scared to learn the PS3 architecture over the more traditional Wii and 360 architectures.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/21/gdc08-phyreengine-sonys-new-free-cross-platform-engine/

It's free for developers to use. While it's designed for PCs and all of Sony's current consoles, it can also be used on the 360, to promote developers using the PS3 as their native platform.

• Locked thread