Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Neuman went to the dog park last weekend and had himself a good old play with an 8 month old Bull Mastiff and a Newfie cross.

Haven't seen him play that hard in a while, I think he slept for a good 3 to 4 hours afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
That is not a Newfie mix, that is a black lion. :colbert:

:3:

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Do big dog sightings count?

Last Sunday at PetSmart, I had the luck to be in the store at the same time as two South African Boerboels! One was 8 months old, and one was 12 weeks old. The 8 month old dog was big, large, and also huge. I am not around dogs a lot, much less large breeds, so spotting this guy stretched across the linoleum of an aisle really surprised me.

The older dog was named Winston Churchill, and the younger one was named Queen Victoria. They had come from a 3 hour session at a park and were content to loll around soaking up all the attention they were getting. Their builds made them look like stuffed animals brought to life, or maybe Tock from the Phantom Tollbooth. :3: Both dogs were incredibly mellow and let (with the owners permission) strangers approach them, take pictures, give pets, whatever. If Winston wasn't already 100+ lbs I bet you could have picked him up like a baby to give him belly kisses and he wouldn't care.

The owners were very gracious with the fact that they get swamped every time they bring their dogs anywhere, and answered lots of questions. I believe he said both dogs were born in Pretoria.

I got to pet Winston! His coat was so soft, he felt like a stuffed animal.

In summary: big dogs are pretty neat.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Misanthrope posted:

Haven't seen him play that hard in a while, I think he slept for a good 3 to 4 hours afterwards.

The colors on that mastiff mix are amazing. It looks like a grizzly! :3:

Oh and 3-4 hour naps are like the bottom average nap times for my Dane. :D

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate

Boru posted:

Oh and 3-4 hour naps are like the bottom average nap times for my Dane. :D

Haha I was just thinking that. When Sunday goes to daycare, she sleeps for the ENTIRE next day. It's amazing.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

StudlyMcHandsome posted:

I was reading this entire thread just waiting for someone to post Newfie pics. Surely there must be some newfie-owning goons out there?

I'm surprised as well, I thought for sure someone here had to have one. I will hopefully have my own before the year is up(still looking for a breeder), but for now I just play with other peoples Newfies at club events. Last weekend was a drafting workshop, and about 15 Newfs hitched up to carts to practice drafting and learning commands. I really should have taken photos, but I was too busy playing with the pups that were there.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

So I don't know that much about dogs so can someone please explain this to me. How can two Danes look so different from each other? For example this:

RurouNNy posted:

and 2 harlequin Danes, a male and a female:
male:

and already previously mentioned Väinö:

To me their body shapes look completely different. Is there a difference between European and American standards or what? :confused:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I'm seeing more mastiff in there? Or am I crazy

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Euro and American lines vary at least slightly in almost every breed. Same as working vs. show lines even within the same country.

Some people breed Danes to be much heavier, some super lanky/tall and SOME like to make them as tall and heavy as possible, to the detriment of the dog.

There's a lot of novelty attached to breeding GIANT dogs in INTERESTING colors so you will have quite a bit of variance once BYBS and mills throw in their two cents.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I'm seeing more mastiff in there? Or am I crazy

In Väinö? No, he's pure Dane. :)

And thanks TV's Ian for the explanation. Väinö is some kind of national champ (yeah my dog knowledge is pretty lacking) even though to me compared to the harlequin he looks like a giant fatty.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
But wasn't mastiff blood used to make the great dane? I mean that your dog looks more mastiff-y than the American danes.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

:3:

My partner and I are looking at possibly buying a house together and i'm hoping once we've settled us and the cats in we can get a dog, and I love the large breeds!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Well, we made a new addition to the family today. My roommate fostered a dog this afternoon. A patient of mine is a local mail carrier, and is well known for taking in strays and unwanted animals (I live in the sticks and we have no animal shelters for at least 3 counties in any direction), and she had told me recently that there was a Great Dane on her route that was kept on a chain and was starving, and that she had been taking it food and trying to talk the owners into letting her have it. A couple weeks ago, she told me that they had agreed, and wanted to know if I'd be willing to take her or help foster her until a permanent home could be found for her. I agreed, but then we never heard back, and assumed that the shithead rednecks had backed out. Well, yesterday, I got a call wanting to know if I'd still be interested in her, and so today she came to visit. :buddy:

Meet Lana!

Out friendly mail carrier had kept her for a week and had been feeding her, but the poor little thing was wasted away when she got her. Supposedly she's around 2 years old, but I think she's much younger, unless malnutrition has stunted her worse than I think. She was kept on a short chain because the local home health nurse that came to the house refused to keep coming because the dog was "vicious and was going to bite her" <:mad:> The poor thing is just starved for lovin's, and has the biggest, floppiest ears that have ever been put on a head that wasn't a basset hound.

Oh yeah, mean one here. This is after 2 hours of human contact. :3: She has bonded to my roommate like no other. She already howls if he leaves her in another room.

Sage's heart is broken, though :(

The green laser eyes of jealousy.

I wanna go back outside! Life without a chain is amazing! Running is the best thing that ever happened!

Hey, Ozzie, you're kinda cute.

Whose nose smells funny?

She also has the worst scars from happy tail I've ever seen :( I'm assuming this will have to be docked some. It still bleeds a bit, and is only slightly smaller around than a golf ball.

Sage and Lana meet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uluiZlfoT24

Anyone have any advice on getting some weight on her? I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild, is that going to be too rich for her system right now? Should she get a puppy vitamin supplement or anything until she's healthier? She's going to the vet first thing in the morning. The lady that rescued her started her first round of vaccinations and worming, but since we're really not sure what shots she's had, or even how old she is, she's getting the full working over tomorrow. Gonna get fixed as soon as she's healthy enough to do it. It's hard to tell in the pics because of the lighting, but she really is skin and bones. The rescue lady said she's really put on weight in the week she had her. She's well behaved indoors, and very sweet, and not at all timid, so I don't think she's been actively abused so much as terribly, terribly neglected. But, she's on easy street now.

EDIT: Apparently imgur is broken right now, so all the cool pictures of my roomate's new dog don't seem to be showing up, but believe me, they're posted, and she's adorable, and they will hopefully show up later. That is all.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 23, 2012

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Anyone have any advice on getting some weight on her? I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild, is that going to be too rich for her system right now? Should she get a puppy vitamin supplement or anything until she's healthier? She's going to the vet first thing in the morning. The lady that rescued her started her first round of vaccinations and worming, but since we're really not sure what shots she's had, or even how old she is, she's getting the full working over tomorrow. Gonna get fixed as soon as she's healthy enough to do it. It's hard to tell in the pics because of the lighting, but she really is skin and bones. The rescue lady said she's really put on weight in the week she had her. She's well behaved indoors, and very sweet, and not at all timid, so I don't think she's been actively abused so much as terribly, terribly neglected. But, she's on easy street now.

I'd say yes on the vitamin supplement if you're worried about her being malnurished, and what is she eating now? as far as the brand of dog food/amount?

Also I would like the thread to meet a customer of mine at a kennel I worked at recently, Manwell.

He likes to have his chest scratched. Honestly this scared me for a second when I first started, but he really loved the whole crew working there. He belonged to the owner along with two little JRTs. You can see part of one in the picture.

And to lean on my co-workers to knock them over.

Mrfreezewarning fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 23, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ That dog has got the happiest prickly face.

In the pics Lana looks good, but I know it's hard to tell with black dogs sometimes. As always, I always, always, always super's satin balls. And it never hurts to supplement a dane. I'll edit this with the recipe and some :words: about dane talk because holy god, I was squirming all day wanting to say something. :neckbeard:

Which TOTW do you feed? If it's wetlands/sierra mountain/pacific I'd probably say it'll be pretty mild for her, but the high prairie formula is a heavier formula. Depends on what she's been eating, too.

E: Satin balls recipe is http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3408341&userid=145839&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post399901458 and with Amythest being Amythest, it's always worked good with her. And yeah, that is the worst happytail I've seen.

As for dane genetics, the general opinion is that mastiffs and other dogs of that general build (from that era) were crossed with deerhounds/elkhounds/wolfhounds/greyhounds and so on and so forth until boom, we get the great dane. Some danes, like that one pictured, tend to end up heavier. Then there's lightly built danes that tend to act like lunatics and bounce around at the speed of light. They have slimmer faces, smaller ribcages, etc from what I've seen. I've ended up with one of each. And yeah, as someone else said. Eurodanes and American danes look a bit different too.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 23, 2012

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I prefer the more sight hound looking danes myself and I'm partial to the black ones.

Dr Ozziemandius Sage looks like a giant version of our old dog, Alex. :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: ^^^^ That dog has got the happiest prickly face.

In the pics Lana looks good, but I know it's hard to tell with black dogs sometimes. As always, I always, always, always super's satin balls. And it never hurts to supplement a dane. I'll edit this with the recipe and some :words: about dane talk because holy god, I was squirming all day wanting to say something. :neckbeard:

Which TOTW do you feed? If it's wetlands/sierra mountain/pacific I'd probably say it'll be pretty mild for her, but the high prairie formula is a heavier formula. Depends on what she's been eating, too.

E: Satin balls recipe is http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3408341&userid=145839&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post399901458 and with Amythest being Amythest, it's always worked good with her. And yeah, that is the worst happytail I've seen.

As for dane genetics, the general opinion is that mastiffs and other dogs of that general build (from that era) were crossed with deerhounds/elkhounds/wolfhounds/greyhounds and so on and so forth until boom, we get the great dane. Some danes, like that one pictured, tend to end up heavier. Then there's lightly built danes that tend to act like lunatics and bounce around at the speed of light. They have slimmer faces, smaller ribcages, etc from what I've seen. I've ended up with one of each.

Thanks for the link to the satin balls, I was hoping that would come up. I've got wetlands formula TOTW.

She's had about a cup and a half so far, fed in small increments to see how she handled it, and all the water she wants. I didn't know what she'd be able to keep down, so I figured it'd be better to err on the side of caution until she gets to the vet in the morning. She's in a deep, coma-like sleep right now.

I got a bit more information about the lady that rescued her. She's only had her since Tuesday evening, she had made contact with the owners a week ago. I'm not sure what she was feeding, she's not with an official rescue, she's just an animal lover in an area without shelters.

Due to her job, she sees a lot of strays, and networks with a lot of other dog people that can take fosters. She has 4 dogs that stay at her home, and a few kennels for short term fosters, and then she tries to arrange homes for animals that she sees on her routes. She'll try to guilt trip people out of their starving, chained up dogs, or just straight up offer some pillheads $50 for them if she can find a foster home for the poor guys. She said she's found homes for 3 Danes this year, and like 8 or 9 in the last two years. :( I blame the Marmaduke movie.

She's just recently become a patient of mine and met Ozzie at the office. I told her that if she needs any more Danes fostered, to let me know. I'll get in touch with her tomorrow and find out what she's been feeding.

After a good bath, Lana looks much better. I'm not sure what her situation has been. She's definitely been starving, and doesn't seem to have been spayed. I'm not sure how old she is, we were told around two years, but she absolutely does not look much over a year at most, just based on her puppy mannerisms and clumsiness.

Her coat is actually pretty thick and healthy looking, and she isn't timid and doesn't shy away from noises or movements like a dog that's been abused. She's not been on the defensive, she's been really calm and relaxed and happy. She's been confident with Ozzie and Sage once she got settled in, and she's already picked her spot on the rug in front of the TV and established her area of the dog couch. She's been curious about everyone and hasn't been timid around any people yet, either.

Once she calmed down, she's been sitting when she saw milk bones and has put a paw up to shake unprompted when she saw the treats coming out. She had one accident when she first came inside, but other than that, she's gone out in the yard every time she's been taken outside, and actually wouldn't come back in once until she had left playing on the porch to go out in the yard and poop. I think she's been an inside dog and cared for at one point, then either there's been a split up or she's run away or been stolen and ended up neglected, but not beaten and actively abused. We'll find out if she's chipped when she gets to the vet in the morning. Who knows, there may be a reunion thread in the works :3:

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 23, 2012

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
wtf imgur?

civilian.d fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 2, 2012

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

civilian.d posted:

Here's my last Dane w/ my mom, big silly brindle named Felix. This photo is from about 2003 (maybe 2 weeks before he died :cry: )

I'll dig around and see if I can find more pictures - but wow, was he a wonderful dog. He was the first male Dane my family had, (3 females prior, all fawns) and he was by far the goofiest. His personality was just ridiculous - miss him so much!

Nowadays I have a more long-lived breed - this is Duncan! He's not a giant dog persay, but he's quite big for a lab - 70ish lbs and he's got the giant block-head I love so much... (can you believe he's 15? no grey except his chin, and he still plays like a puppy)

ridin' in the car

posing next to his little lab statue

bathtime!

and pretending he's my lapdog @ christmas last year

Felix is awesome, and Duncan is smoove as hell! Ozzie is my male Dane, and is by far the goofiest creature I've ever been around. Big giant loveable lug. He just turned 2 in December, and until this winter went to work in my family practice clinic with me every day.

This was from Christmas 2010, the horns were too small to wear this year :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Poor little Lana. At best guess I'd say she's a young dog, under two years, but trying to pinpoint a dane's age without any information is usually pointless once they get past having rounded paws and being an armful of dumb, "normal" sized dog/puppy. If it turns out she's a youngster, though, they eat like horses (as you well know) so that's probably not helping her skinnyness at all. I hope if this ends up being a reunion that she was an accidental runaway, not that they just got rid of her or something. :smith:

civilian.d posted:

Here's my last Dane w/ my mom, big silly brindle named Felix. This photo is from about 2003 (maybe 2 weeks before he died :cry: )

I'll dig around and see if I can find more pictures - but wow, was he a wonderful dog. He was the first male Dane my family had, (3 females prior, all fawns) and he was by far the goofiest. His personality was just ridiculous - miss him so much!

Nowadays I have a more long-lived breed - this is Duncan! He's not a giant dog persay, but he's quite big for a lab - over 70 lbs and he's got the giant block-head I love so much... (can you believe he's 15? no grey except his chin, and he still plays like a puppy)

ridin' in the car

posing next to his little lab statue

bathtime!

and pretending he's my lapdog @ christmas last year

(hope that wasn't a derail, figured my dane legitimized my post ;)

Felix had that wonderful regal look old danes get. Such a gorgeous brindley boy.

And bullshit that lab is pretending anything.

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Felix is awesome, and Duncan is smoove as hell! Ozzie is my male Dane, and is by far the goofiest creature I've ever been around. Big giant loveable lug. He just turned 2 in December, and until this winter went to work in my family practice clinic with me every day.

This was from Christmas 2010, the horns were too small to wear this year :(

Thanks :) Felix was the turning point for me in terms of having male vs. female dogs. Growing up, my family always had female dogs up until him, and he was so awesome, just seemed to have about triple the personality somehow, and really compassionate without being 'too protective', as many males I'd met in the past were (which I later realized was probably just due to the owners/how they were raised). Anyhow, I'm a convert - Duncan is the same way, such a goofball, and extremely loving.

Ozzie is very good lookin' - I saw a big harlequin @ home depot the other day who was pretty similar patterned, except with black 'boots' from about mid-leg down. I wanted to go say hi as I haven't really gotten to see any danes since mine passed, but I know how much attention they can draw in public and how it can be a bit annoying, so decided not to be that guy.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Poor little Lana. At best guess I'd say she's a young dog, under two years, but trying to pinpoint a dane's age without any information is usually pointless once they get past having rounded paws and being an armful of dumb, "normal" sized dog/puppy. If it turns out she's a youngster, though, they eat like horses (as you well know) so that's probably not helping her skinnyness at all. I hope if this ends up being a reunion that she was an accidental runaway, not that they just got rid of her or something. :smith:

Felix had that wonderful regal look old danes get. Such a gorgeous brindley boy.

And bullshit that lab is pretending anything.

Yeah, she's going to start getting fed properly tomorrow, she's only been here a few hours today, and we didn't know what she'd been fed, but I knew she'd been basically starved before and I was afraid I'd make her sick by overloading her system right off the bat with rich food.

When she first came home, I took Sage and Ozzie out for a while so she could explore and get used to the smells find some safey-safes, then Rex fed her a little and she got stuck in a drinking loop. Once I introduced Sage, she wasn't interested in food for a while, and got a couple treats (they're dried duck breast strips) for being good with Sage.

She had eaten this morning before being brought to my office, and was fed Tuesday evening and yesterday, but who knows when or what before then. She had some more dog food and then a milk bone this evening before slipping into puppy coma. She's not come up from that since :3:

As for reunions, it's really common for people to steal dogs around here, too, so I really wouldn't be surprised to find a chip in her and a happy owner somewhere. If not, she's gonna be happy with my roommate. He's like Dances With Dogs. My friends call him the Dog Cuckolder, because he'll spend ten minutes at your house, and your dog will like him better than you. <:mad:>

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I'm psyched the pup has a good home now! What a heartwarming way to start the day. :3:

I love the pack of Danes you have. My wife and I can't wait to get another Dane, but we have to move out of the apartment first; unfortunately one Dane takes up just about all the extra room we have in the place, even though he's super good about apartment dwelling (as long as he gets his daily walks).

For content here's some Dane potpourri (sorry, crappy cell phone pics etc):

Gus last Summer, in his natural state

Gus' somewhat regular look of worried bewilderment (probably due to his general dumbness), as two jackass cats lurk

Mustache toy! It held up remarkably well, I think we almost got 9 months of play out of that one

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Boru posted:

I'm psyched the pup has a good home now! What a heartwarming way to start the day. :3:

Mustache toy! It held up remarkably well, I think we almost got 9 months of play out of that one

Man, I've been meaning to get Ozzie one of those forever now, and that pic clinches it. I gotta find one now.

Got the first vet update on Lana. She's got no microchip, and he thinks she's 6 months to a year old. She weighs 68 lbs, and has definitely had a litter, but either miscarried or lost all the pups before having nursed them much, as she has essentially no mammary development. He says if she got pregnant during her first heat, then this is about as tall as she'll get, but if it was later than that, she may still grow, but no way of telling until she's had some time to get taller (or some xrays, I guess). She's got intestinal worms, but no heartworms, nice clean healthy teeth, and is pretty healthy overall (other than needing food). She's getting spayed Monday morning, as she is going into heat right now, and they're going to discuss what to do about her tail at the time. It's stopped bleeding for the moment, but is obviously very sensitive. If it's going to have to be docked some, then he needs to decide if it's better to do it while she's already sedated for the spaying, or wait until she's got a little better nutritional status and do a second surgery. :ohdear:

The vet's recommending basically around the clock feeding for now, but in very small portions every half hour or so to keep her from foundering or giving herself a torsion from wolfing it down. We're also going to put an small upside-down bowl in her food bowl to act as an obstacle until she slows down her eating.

Otherwise, she's been happy as hell, enjoying her new ropey-bone, and taking rides in the car. She also has been the first Dane in the family to realize that she is capable of sticking her head out the sunroof :3:

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 24, 2012

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

all-in-all, that's pretty good news on Lana! sounds like she's in the right environment to get healthy and be loved :)

FYI - we use one of these for Duncan

and it works very well. He's a crazy fast eater and this made meals go from 30 seconds to 3-5 minutes.

aurasuvi
May 14, 2009

Misanthrope posted:

Neuman went to the dog park last weekend and had himself a good old play with an 8 month old Bull Mastiff and a Newfie cross.

Edit: Holy poo poo, I think that IS a Bouvier. My "WANT!!!" dog for many years since one lived nearby when I was a little girl and I took her out for walks several times a week.

(I think I just found her. Wow. I'm having major "Hi I'm 10 and desperately want a dog" flashbacks now.)

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
My stepsister-in-law and her partner have a Bouv! He's stunningly gorgeous and a giant teddy. They picked him up from the only breeder in the country after Xmas and brought him to our family NYE party. He lay down, and slowly rolled into the pool, shook it off like it was no thang.

He started off the size of their poodle/kelpie disaster dog and can now place his head on the dining table without reaching.

honkykong
Sep 20, 2005

I desperately need a giant dog but am not in a situation to have one. At least most of my friends have dogs I can wrestle with!

A good friends parents had the biggest german shepard I've ever seen. He was about 140lbs if I remember right. Also insanely goofy and prone to running into things.

At some point they figured out how much they love white shepards, so they got another, normal sized, female.

Unfortunately, Cooper passed due to kidney failure, so they got another white shepard. I believe he is 6-7mos old in this pic.

fake edit: The white one on the left, Kira, is the same one in both pictures. She got all depressed and chubbed out a bit when Cooper passed. I haven't seen her or Jack in a long while so I'm not sure if he filled Coopers big paws or if Kira slimmed down at all.

Also, what about a 85+lb female yellow lab?

Another friends mother's dog. Stupid dog goes absolutely apeshit for a good half hour+ whenever I drop by.

And last, how about a doberman that can act big?

honkykong fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 25, 2012

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Is it normal for my dog to suddenly be a total biatch? :P I swear since Sunday hit a year old in January she is much less affectionate and cuddly, and a lot more independent and aloof. Is she going through a "teenage" phase or are these new traits here to stay?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Is it normal for my dog to suddenly be a total biatch? :P I swear since Sunday hit a year old in January she is much less affectionate and cuddly, and a lot more independent and aloof. Is she going through a "teenage" phase or are these new traits here to stay?

She's a year old now so she's doing whatever she wants, gently caress you you aren't the police.

Yeah, it's a teen thing. Just wait until she starts acting like she's 4 months old again and being a total rear end in a top hat.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Haha so there's a chance she might go back to being my sweet cuddly puppy again? It's like living with a sixteen year old girl. I swear to God she's practically rolling her eyes at me and saying "MOOOOOOOM"

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

Veruca Salt posted:

Haha so there's a chance she might go back to being my sweet cuddly puppy again? It's like living with a sixteen year old girl. I swear to God she's practically rolling her eyes at me and saying "MOOOOOOOM"

Guess I'm lucky. My six year old Doberman has be " LOVE ME NOW" since the day I got him from the breeder. Wish I could post him, he's big, but not giant big.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

She might or she might not. They're called bitches for a reason. Amy is the most overly emotional thing ever about everything. But she had the "MOMMMMM :rolleyes: " phase and it only lasted until she was about 3. Then she got crazy emotional about everything.

The day she tore up her favorite stuffed duck ended with her curling up around it in a ball, ears flopped back, occasionally whimpering.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Oh my god Amy. :3:

My friends and I went geocaching in the park yesterday, and on our way back we went up Dog Hill, which is sort of an unofficial off-leash play area. A harlequin dane puppy, who was about the size of Shadow, came prancing up to us to say hi and I was like, "Awww, it's a dane puppy! :3:" and my friend goes "That's a puppy?!" :v:

Daisy Chain Saw
Nov 17, 2004

JEFF GOLDBLUM PLEASE MOLEST ME
This is Diesel. He is an 11 year old Dane/Lab cross and weighs about 90lbs. He did weigh more but we had to put him on a diet for being a fatso. He's not as big as your giants but he tries to be :)

Mauer
Mar 19, 2012

honkykong posted:

And last, how about a doberman that can act big?

My doberman (Zelda) only acts big on land. In the water she's a big baby; won't go into deep water where she can't touch the ground.

Actually, on second thought, she's a baby on land too.

Mauer fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 28, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yeah, these are pictures (stolen from video) from the danes at the pool in Okinawa last year:

Yeah, he's underwater. Poor Balen. He was only under for a second.

Amy is a goddamned retard about water sometimes and likes to use other living creatures as buoys. Then she'll randomly start swimming and everything will be fine. It's like a little switch has to flip from 'retard' to 'sensible dog'.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Oh hey have my BIG OL' DOG :3:

In her battle gear

Expensive new cameras are for taking emotionally expressive pictures of your pets, right?

Everyone I know says she's the biggest dog that they've seen, but after reading this thread she's just not big enough...

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Great Dane trying and failing to deal with a slippery floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDTiId-RuS4

I love how this giant of a dog is considered a puppy by dane standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

clarabelle posted:

Great Dane trying and failing to deal with a slippery floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDTiId-RuS4

I love how this giant of a dog is considered a puppy by dane standards

To be fair, that's how I feel in the morning as well.

That video linked to one with a Dane welcoming his military dad home:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL74vvbeR1M&feature=related

As a bonus, his name is Emmett Thunderpaws.

Reunions with pets always make me all teary-eyed :3:

Edit:

Mauer posted:

My doberman (Zelda) only acts big on land. In the water she's a big baby; won't go into deep water where she can't touch the ground.

Such a cutie! I love the floppy ears that dobermans have when they're not cropped :3:

Shebrew fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 30, 2012