Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm not sure the controller port priority was originally intended to be an anti-competitive element, since it has been in since the N64 game. Maybe they deliberately left it in for that reason though?

I think it's probably more that they didn't think to just have concurrent grabs cancel each other out and that was the best way they thought of to handle the situation when it arose. There's such an astronomically low chance of that occurring in any noticeable fashion, though, so it hardly affects the gameplay in any meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Aren't those "player 2 side's corner" only, not "the characters who are being controlled by the second player" only, though? At least, that's how I remember it.

Apparently CvS2 does have both kinds of things (P1 side corner though):

James Chen's CvS2 system guide posted:

PLAYER 2 ONLY CORNER SWITCH
Basically, it works like this: ONLY PLAYER 2 can set it up so that, when knocking Player 1 into the Corner (either Corner), they can go over Player 1 and end up IN the Corner. However, the prerequisite for this to work is that the move that you use to knock Player 1 down must knock Player 1 into the Corner with his or her head sticking OUT of the corner (feet first).

THE VACUUM LEFT CORNER
Basically, what the Vacuum Left Corner is is the tendency of having a character as far into the left Corner wall as possible to fall OUT of the Corner when knocked into the air by an opponent right next to them as if some magical force is sucking them out.

(Why is it the vacuum left corner if the character is pushed away from the corner, not towards it? :iiam:)

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
How could anyone read James Chen's writing? I start in and I just hear his voice in my head rambling on.

I wrote a larger post but most of this has been answered re: Smash Brothers

I think it boils down to simplicity, at the most you only have to ban Akuma to make SFII playable at the highest level. And the vast majority of arcade titles get played as-is, up to and including games with one-touch kills and infinite combos like Marvel vs Capcom 2.

This still doesn't mean every game gets played, there is a ton of stigma in the 2d fighting community surrounding "broken" games. In Japan unpopular, unbalanced, or broken games are relegated to the designation of Kusoge, literally "poo poo games" Most kusoge are avoided by the more serious and generally more respectable members of the Japanese player base. What Japan plays drives a lot of the competitive focus in the United States and our own competitive scene. There are the rare occurrences where our opinions differ (marvel, 3rd strike) but for the most part noone is going out of their way to give Sengoku Basara X or JoJo's serious coverage at an American Major.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Veib posted:

Apparently CvS2 does have both kinds of things (P1 side corner though):

(Why is it the vacuum left corner if the character is pushed away from the corner, not towards it? :iiam:)
The vacuum force is obviously being applied from the center of the stage, pulling the characters back out towards it. Obviously.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Philip Rivers posted:

Was Street Fighter II intentionally designed from the ground up to be an exceptionally serious competitive game?

This sentence makes me think you didn't actually get what he was saying. There's nothing wrong with it being a not-competitive game by design, the problem is that there's a loving laundry list of rules that need changed within the game (certain stocks/time limit, certain stages, items, etc.) as well as without the game (character bannings, # of legal ledge grabs, etc.).

SF2 may not have been designed with a precognition of what competitive fighters would become, but playing it was simple; you put in your quarter, you picked your character, and you played. That element has more or less stayed true for competitive fighting games to this day. Compare the list of rules for the vast majority of Evo games to Smash Bros. The former is something like "best 2 out of 3, default time limit, loser can change characters between rounds," which are more or less the default settings for the game when you put the disc in.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Philip Rivers posted:

What, from the fighting game player's standpoint, specifically differentiates Smash Bros. out of the genre? The play mechanics are different, obviously, but on a more conceptual level, I'm having trouble seeing the dividing line.

The rules required to make the game tournament viable don't help but the real dividing line is that the Smash community is very insular and for that and many other fair and unfair reasons the FGC considers them subhuman

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I doubt the controller port stuff is supposed to be an anti-competition measure, it was probably just a quick and lazy way to generate a seed that's stuck around from the original game.

Philip Rivers posted:

Was Street Fighter II intentionally designed from the ground up to be an exceptionally serious competitive game?

Maybe not, but Smash was intentionally designed to be anti-competitive in the traditional sense, Brawl especially. Turning it into a "legitimate" fighting game is like squeezing blood from a stone.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Smash tournaments smell worse than FG tournaments although that's like saying poo poo smells worse than piss

I used to play Melee competitively :(, Brawl is a fun party game but an absolute joke at a competitive level as everything from the items to the characters to the stages was designed to DISCOURAGE Melee's higher skill ceiling.

Melee was really fun but it's not a fighting game, most 2D fighting games have very similar skillsets and none of them involve things like platforming and technically infinite health.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

quote:

It all began in '94
Kept on rolling in '95
Pieces fell in place in '96
It came to the end in '97
And now it comes and here we go
The KOF is here again
Nothing's gonna stop it's 1998

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
KING OF FIGHTERS '98
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Signups are here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/ejot5bi7rt

Same as always: Wednesday, Mar 21, 10pm EST. You know the drill.

Goonbat point totals have been updated here.

Our leaders right now:

Zand: 15pts (cheater)
Interrobang: 8pts (only legit guy)
Buhbuhj: 8pts (meanie)
RickoniX: 7pts (fraud)

See you all next week!

This is part of a series of weekly ranbats.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
So I've went and bought StreetfighterXTekken.

So far I really like using Juri and Megaman. (Got the PS3 version of course)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I find it amusing that they literally had to make a romhack of Brawl to make the game competitively viable. They literally hacked the game.

With Street Fighter, you just pop in a quarter or turn on your Xbox.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Gammatron 64 posted:

I find it amusing that they literally had to make a romhack of Brawl to make the game competitively viable. They literally hacked the game.

With Street Fighter, you just pop in a quarter or turn on your Xbox.

FYI no one takes the extra versions seriously. They're just funny because you can do a bunch of stupid poo poo and make up fun combos, but the gameplay is still really bad in general.

So basically, it's SFxT.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Except it's not.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
Anyone know where besides FocusAttack I can buy a Qanba stick? Going to get one for my birthday, but FocusAttack is sold out of all the colors.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

SpaceBees posted:

Anyone know where besides FocusAttack I can buy a Qanba stick? Going to get one for my birthday, but FocusAttack is sold out of all the colors.

eightarc.com still has black but its sold out of all the other Qanba colors.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Ybrik posted:

eightarc.com still has black but its sold out of all the other Qanba colors.

Yeah I just checked there and am going to order one! Thanks man! Color is a non issue, I'll put custom artwork on one of these days (FocusAttack has the flat panel plexiglass for only about $14).

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Arcadeshock has them too.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

When people say that it wasn't designed to be competitive, they literally mean that the guy that made the game took steps to prevent it from being competitive like adding in the controller port priority and random tripping.
Is "random tripping" seriously what it sounds like? Because wow dang

edit: Yep

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

It's really bizarre, but considering the target audience it makes sense that Sakurai didn't want the game to have a really difficult metagame or anything, especially because Brawl added online mode. Also it's the guy who designed Kirby, or the easiest platformer series ever.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

As a dude who likes Melee and really wants Brawl to be better than it is, a little part of me wants to say "Well, if you're in a situation where you can't risk tripping, just walk instead of running. Nobody runs in SFII and you don't hear people complaining."

Sadly though I cannot bring myself to really believe it.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
So let's say I want to start playing Tekken. Should I pick up Tekken 6 or Dark Resurrection?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
They're both great games (DR is still way more fun imo), but if you're thinking of playing Tag2, then T6BR is the way to go, since Tag 2 is just BR with Tag.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Get T6 and/or Tekken Hybrid (HD port of Tekken Tag Tournament with a TTT2 demo and a CG movie, PS3 only).

The full MLG player roster is out:

Mortal Kombat

quote:

EGJustinWong
Chu-Fye
WNBA_Shady
doubequalsammo
medina2291
J_Frost
Funnylegz
DRS_MCZ_THTB
riu48
Joekachmar
stoicHolcan
VSMJ360
KnCrazyDominican
WNBA_SwiftTomHanks
esp_gangsta
Relaxedstate
Phase_3
Fade28
noobe
vVv_Esoteric
Alexander_Smith
prophecy-ILI
iperfectlegend
ermac2
jamessmk
vVv_7L
frankotistic
soonk
sackram22
Delriach
GGA_Jeremiah
CURBOLICOUS
vVv_CDjr
KT_Smith
AU_WANNA_DIE
Tom_Brady
Claude_VonStroke
Geochron
i208khonsu
TMPSquirtMcGirt
sweepy187
MK_Peanuts
stupiddmonkeys
vVvREO
k-frog
VSM_Maxter
Volumelol
ScifiSniper
MaceWind
Cerebru
Goldfishkeeper
reposivart
Treadmill1150
m2dave
ESP_Mr_Topper
Seapeople-
EGPTyrant
RiBBz22
MOE30W
MrJimsus
WNBA_Death
MasterD-
VIDA25
FrothyOmen
thequeenofsheba
Christian_Quiles
GGA_Dizzy
MK_Hitoshura
raiza360
Tomwafflez
BlackMambaMoan
juwaiian
NeoRussell
-Casselman-ofCanada-
xskullsmasherx69
XMADDOGGX
quickscopessephiroth

Soul Calibur V

quote:

EGJustinWong
Chu-Fye
Shin_RyuJin
Dreamkiller9999
ThuggishPond
LostProvidence
kwill2k3
ilTokyoli
ikotomi
Something-Unique
badwolf2386
dtn2
michaelgotherb
OraClover
OrganizedKaoss
ooBLACKSTARoo
xxTheHumanTyphoonxx
Jurbur522
Sword_Lord
Ammotu
pdpjeopardy
wing_zero012
Angelsama
bgraveslight92
CORN_AdonisThaGod
CORN_MRALLCAPS
Raynne
mickdashowstopper
MysticBill
Jaeger
OsoMuerto
Philosovich
00FMATIC
Icosahedron
IceColdEdge
Linkrkc
Phantom131
pandasonline
Rikuto
mateogalvan
TearsofLove
Enkindu
Esom
MaximumwangchunG
Zophar321
jimmypikachuchoi
sownemesis
_Barry_
stdnemesis1
azzox
KDZ
Jaxel
rtd_atl
Tomwafflez
BlackMambaMoan
juwaiian
NeoRussell
-Casselman-ofCanada-
chaincrushcombo
Lil_Majin
Shin-Blade

King of Fighters XIII

quote:

EGJustinWong
Chu-Fye
QM_Sparkster
YSJKOF
ItzRomanc3
CMD_Duc
DM-Xian
jag_kof
IGL_BALA
ArcadeShocklReynald
AL-Dandy_J
0justius
xskullsmasherx69
XMADDOGGX
quickscopessephiroth
chaincrushcombo
Lil_Majin
Shin-Blade

You KOF dudes should agree to split the pot and each take home ~$900 just for showing up. Sucks to be MLG, but it's not like they weren't repeatedly told what a bad idea this was.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

uncleKitchener posted:

Tag 2 is just BR with Tag.

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no peg.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The full MLG player roster is out:
Jeez, MK9 is completely stacked. There's at least a good 30 people on that list I don't want to have to play, and I know that the Arizona guys aren't even on the list due to bizarre Arizona gambling laws.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

KOF13 MLG entrants posted:

xskullsmasherx69
quickscopessephiroth
If these dudes don't make top 8 I'll be sad.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

HoobastankTheReason posted:

Well, it's not BR, but at the same time it's very much like BR and it caters to BR players.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

HoobastankTheReason posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phR_1PhumZ0

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

I AM CARVALLO posted:

So let's say I want to start playing Tekken. Should I pick up Tekken 6 or Dark Resurrection?

There is no reason to pick up Dark Resurrection. T6's mechanics are what TTT2 is most closely based on.

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!
Where can I get a TE equivalent stick without bad fight game artwork. It's bugging me out that I can't find one that isn't SFxT EDITION or SSFIV EDITION.

Also I am lazy and don't want to go to Kinko's to get my favorite anime character printed on a cutout for the stick.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Electric Crayon posted:

Where can I get a TE equivalent stick without bad fight game artwork. It's bugging me out that I can't find one that isn't SFxT EDITION or SSFIV EDITION.

Also I am lazy and don't want to go to Kinko's to get my favorite anime character printed on a cutout for the stick.

http://store.namcobandaigames.com/s...s=1332345341107

It costs a bunch because it's limited edition, but it doesn't have any bad fighting game artwork on it.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Electric Crayon posted:

Eightarc.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Or the Hori V3-SA/VX-SA.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
You can take the art off a TE stick too.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

kaujot posted:

Eightarc.

What this too cool for school guy is talking about, is this website, with a clickable link: http://eightarc.com/

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I got a quanba q4raf. Highly recommend it and its plain black with a changable top. Eightarc and quanba are literally the same sticks as both are made by quanba so quality would be the same.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Single Console Stick: Hori HRAP v3 or vX depending on your console.
Dual Mod Stick: Eightarc Fusion or a Qanba Q4RAF.

Own both, both great.

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!
the Qanba looks super nice. Is the start button on the face ever a concern? I do like to mash in MvC2.

Or I'll pick up a TE stick if I can find one on the cheap since the art is removable. Thanks for the tips y'all.

edit: aww yeah $125 bones http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879216157&Tpk=round%202

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Just as a heads up saying "the art is removable" is a little misleading. You'll almost definitely need another plexi because the default art is glued to the plate they have on there. Unless I guess you just want your buttons and stick sitting directly on the metal top panel then that's cool I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Electric Crayon posted:

the Qanba looks super nice. Is the start button on the face ever a concern? I do like to mash in MvC2.

I've never hit it by mistake but if it's a concern eightarc have it on the top of the stick like the TE.

An old TE would probably be cheaper but the quanba and eightarc work with PS3 and Xbox so if tournaments are a possibility for you it would be handy.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 21, 2012

• Locked thread