Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

CombineThresher posted:

Don't forget that the business passed Ole by maybe ten years prior to that, and he was STILL booking.

Back on topic, Greg Valentine is apparently even less warm and pleasant than he looks.
When the Horsemen turn on Sting and Ole is giving his rambling promo only for Flair to cut him off and get to the point you can pinpoint the business passing Ole by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Quodio Stotes posted:

So who are the biggest assholes in wrestling? Everyone knows about vince, but since browsing some threads here I've learned that Hogan and HHH are dicks too. Could you guys give me an rear end in a top hat list with descriptions? Thanks in advance. I only watched wrestling in middle school and I didn't know about all the backstage politics. Tell me about Russo too.
Russo's a polarizing figure: lots of midcarders like him because he gives them stuff to do but he writes women very unfavorably, does tend to rub a lot people the wrong way if they don't recognize his genius and this quote:

quote:

"I'm going to tell you something right now that you will absolutely not agree with, but I've been a wrestling fan my whole life and I will live and die by this. It's hard enough, believe me, I write this poo poo, it is hard enough to get somebody over. You will never ever, ever, ever, ever see the Japanese wrestlers or the Mexican wrestlers over in American mainstream wrestling. I'm an American. If I'm watching wrestling here in America, I don't give a poo poo about a Japanese guy. I don't give a poo poo about a Mexican guy. I'm from America, and that's what I want to see."
The Macho Man was a bit on the unhinged side when it came to Elizabeth and apparently carried a gun in his luggage.

Shawn Michaels was a colossal rear end in a top hat in the mid 90's ("Sunny Days" and politicking a win over Davey Boy who wanted to dedicate his European title victory to his ill sister come to mind).

Teddy Hart no-sells moves, endangers others by doing highspots without informing the other guys, got released from 3 WWE developmental deals for attitude problems, blacklisted from ROH for the most part and allegedly, the AAA locker room were conspiring to have him killed at one point.

Orton used to be a huge one (very short temper and got once got sent home from a UK tour for trashing his hotel room) but fatherhood changed him.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Does Triple H only doing jobs to Main Eventers and burying guys on the mic count?

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 21, 2012

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
I'd say Invader #1 has to be up there with the arseholes. Not only did he stab and kill Bruiser Brody, and admit to it, but he got off free and then shot an angle with Atsushi Onita for FMW where he "stabbed" Onita in the chest

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

apsouthern posted:

I'd say Invader #1 has to be up there with the arseholes. Not only did he stab and kill Bruiser Brody, and admit to it, but he got off free and then shot an angle with Atsushi Onita for FMW where he "stabbed" Onita in the chest
Onita did lure him there so he can have him whacked.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Perigryn posted:

Onita did lure him there so he can have him whacked.

Maybe, but then he did the same angle with Savio Vega, only this time it was Invader getting stabbed so he was still happy to cash in on it

http://i.imgur.com/5ttx5.jpg (linked for gore)

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

CombineThresher posted:

Back on topic, Greg Valentine is apparently even less warm and pleasant than he looks.

I heard a story that Valentine's notorious for agreeing to do an indy show for $X (to be paid ahead of time), and then calling the promoter the day of the show and demanding Y more shows or else he'll no-show. I'm not sure exactly how this would work well enough for him to build a rep on it at this point - I have a hard time imagining Valentine could draw anything but stick figures at this point - but I guess people are desperate enough for fat midcarders from the Rock & Wrestling days.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Other guys with less than sterling reputations include Juvy (drugs & a supposed diva) and Bill Watts.

If I have my story straight, Bruiser Brody taped razor blades to his fists or something insane like that before he had a cage match with Lex Luger in Florida in the 80s. This led to Luger quickly escaping the cage and essentially leaving the promotion. That said, I've also heard lots of positive things about Brody as a person, so I don't know if I have this mixed up with someone else or what.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Rodney the Piper posted:

If I have my story straight, Bruiser Brody taped razor blades to his fists or something insane like that before he had a cage match with Lex Luger in Florida in the 80s. This led to Luger quickly escaping the cage and essentially leaving the promotion. That said, I've also heard lots of positive things about Brody as a person, so I don't know if I have this mixed up with someone else or what.

No razor blades, nothing like that. For brevity's sake, Brody just stopped selling, probably angry he was asked to put Luger over, who was leaving the promotion. That said, Brody had a well-earned reputation for holding promoters up, refusing jobs, and was said to be a bit of a bully, but he was still well-liked by a lot of his peers. It's a mix with him.

As for assholes, most people hate Hogan's whole crew, specifically Knobbs and Beefcake.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Nobody? Really?

:(

It's not like Heath Ledger invented the Joker who cares

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rodney the Piper posted:

Other guys with less than sterling reputations include Juvy (drugs & a supposed diva) and Bill Watts.

I thought he was also pissed that he had to wrestle a really green luger.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
As far as nice guys go, I've always heard great things about Jim Duggan. Guy loves the business, and is just do damned willing to go that it's hard for anyone fan or worker to have beef with him.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

As far as nice guys go, I've always heard great things about Jim Duggan. Guy loves the business, and is just do damned willing to go that it's hard for anyone fan or worker to have beef with him.

Duggan has a rep for never putting guys over and no-selling.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Oatgan posted:

Duggan has a rep for never putting guys over and no-selling.

Clearly I've been hearing the wrong things, then.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Liquid Communism posted:

Clearly I've been hearing the wrong things, then.

Clearly.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
New Jack. drat near killed Erich Kulas (who ended up comitting suicide because of the incident, IIRC), as well as Vic Grimes and Gypsy Joe. Regularly causes poo poo at indy shows for no apparent reason, and beat the poo poo out of JYD to collect on a drug money debt. Oh, and he sucks in the ring, too. Condemned Chris Benoit for what Benoit did even though he's killed multiple people as a bounty hunter, has literally tried to commit in-ring murder, and clearly didn't know the details of what caused Benoit to snap. Oh, and he's been known to bury Paul Heyman even though without Heyman he'd be nothing, because his run in SMW didn't last long. All because Heyman owes him some money (get in line, pal).

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

El Gallinero Gros posted:

New Jack. drat near killed Erich Kulas (who ended up comitting suicide because of the incident, IIRC)
Kulas actually died due to complications of gastric bypass surgery.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My bad. Still, what Jack did to him was massively hosed up.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the corrections on Brody.

Condemned Chris Benoit for what Benoit did even though he's killed multiple people as a bounty hunter, has literally tried to commit in-ring murder, and clearly didn't know the details of what caused Benoit to snap.

The rest of this stuff ranges from "seriously hosed up" to "well, not great," but I can't exactly see calling someone an rear end in a top hat because he said it was bad that Benoit killed his wife & kid.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

My bad. Still, what Jack did to him was massively hosed up.
Oh, there's no excusing that, especially after he said he never felt remorse over it when he found out that he lied about his age.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rodney the Piper posted:

Thanks for the corrections on Brody.

The rest of this stuff ranges from "seriously hosed up" to "well, not great," but I can't exactly see calling someone an rear end in a top hat because he said it was bad that Benoit killed his wife & kid.

I understand that perspective, but the only reason he's not doing time for homicide for killing Vic Grimes is because his attempt at killing Grimes didn't work. I don't disagree that what Benoit did is a bad thing and that he's in hell if it exists, but New Jack acting like he's got any moral high ground seems sorta suspect to me. That's all.

Perigryn posted:

Oh, there's no excusing that, especially after he said he never felt remorse over it when he found out that he lied about his age.

His exact words on the Forever Hardcore doc were "I cut the poo poo outta that fat boy". So yeah.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 21, 2012

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

the only reason he's not doing time for homicide for killing Vic Grimes is because his attempt at killing Grimes didn't work.

This makes sense in the same way that they don't give out Nobel Prizes for attempted chemistry.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Let's see, other wrestlers who come off as assholes according to Internet lore:

Abdullah the Butcher supposedly has hepatitis and blades himself and his opponents, often without the opponent's permission.
Paul Roma has a hilariously huge ego for such a midcarder.
The Warrior's kind of off his rocker, and he has unsavory views about homosexuals. He also threatened a lawsuit against Lowtax once.
Jacques Rougeau (The Mountie) comes off like a complete jerk in interviews with Chris Hero and stories about him paying Hogan an ungodly amount of money to get a win over the Hulkster in a local show Rougeau promoted. I think one of his tag partners just doesn't have anything to do with him any more; I forget if that was Ouellet or Rougeau.

And nice guys:

Same with Tito Santana, plus actually saving your money from wrestling, retiring from the biz and not living out the life of Randy Robinson was named after him for about a decade.
I can't say I've ever heard a bad thing about Sting about his personality. Foley sounds like a guy who gets it, and DDP's niceness is basically a meme around here. Vader seemed like he was fine; there's stories about him crying because he was so bothered after the Kliq dicked him over, and he warned Hart about the possibiliy of a screwjob.
Ricky Steamboat and John Tenta also seem to be/have been really nice guys.
I can't say I heard bad things about Trish Stratus. Lita, at worst, seems to have poor taste in relationships.

I don't know that Triple H is really an rear end in a top hat; he's been behind some really selfish or shortsighted decisions, but I haven't heard anything that makes him sound like a real carnie.

Edit: What about Kamala? I've heard stories about him, but I can barely remember anything.

Oh, and Mark Henry really seems to have his stuff together, to the point of being probably in the top 1% of wrestlers all-time in terms of not being insane. He supposedly drove himself after shows back in the 90s because he didn't want to die with a pillhead behind the wheel, he seems pretty intelligent with the poetry, and he was the happiest ECW champion ever.

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 21, 2012

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Add Tom Zenk in there, he's hillariously bitter and thinks he should have a been a huge star.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rodney the Piper posted:

The Warrior's kind of off his rocker, and he has unsavory views about homosexuals. He also threatened a lawsuit against Lowtax once.

Not kind of. he is completly insane and wrote a comic with him raping santa.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Undertaker was a huge rear end in a top hat during his American Badass period. Very protective of his spot, rarely ever did jobs and his regular burials of DDP were a big contribution to the failure of the Invasion angle.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Rodney the Piper posted:

Abdullah the Butcher supposedly has hepatitis and blades himself and his opponents, often without the opponent's permission.
Paul Roma has a hilariously huge ego for such a midcarder.
Jacques Rougeau (The Mountie) comes off like a complete jerk in interviews with Chris Hero and stories about him paying Hogan an ungodly amount of money to get a win over the Hulkster in a local show Rougeau promoted. I think one of his tag partners just doesn't have anything to do with him any more; I forget if that was Ouellet or Rougeau.

And nice guys:

Same with Tito Santana, plus actually saving your money from wrestling, retiring from the biz and not living out the life of Randy Robinson was named after him for about a decade.
I can't say I've ever heard a bad thing about Sting about his personality. Foley sounds like a guy who gets it, and DDP's niceness is basically a meme around here. Vader seemed like he was fine; there's stories about him crying because he was so bothered after the Kliq dicked him over, and he warned Hart about the possibiliy of a screwjob.
Ricky Steamboat and John Tenta also seem to be/have been really nice guys.
I can't say I heard bad things about Trish Stratus. Lita, at worst, seems to have poor taste in relationships.

I don't know that Triple H is really an rear end in a top hat; he's been behind some really selfish or shortsighted decisions, but I haven't heard anything that makes him sound like a real carnie.

Edit: What about Kamala? I've heard stories about him, but I can barely remember anything.

Oh, and Mark Henry really seems to have his stuff together, to the point of being probably in the top 1% of wrestlers all-time in terms of not being insane. He supposedly drove himself after shows back in the 90s because he didn't want to die with a pillhead behind the wheel, he seems pretty intelligent with the poetry, and he was the happiest ECW champion ever.

Jacques Rougeau is apparently a really nice guy, even Hogan jobbed to him clean at a WCW house show, which was unheard of for Hogan in WCW.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Has that whole "New Jack was a bounty hunter with four justifiable homicides to his name" thing ever been confirmed? Some sites post it as the gospel truth, others say it's never been independently verified.

Of course now that I've dared to even raise the spectre of doubt, NJ will probably show up here tonight and give me the Kulas treatment. :ohdear:

Rodney the Piper posted:

Yeah, I think there's a difference between being a professional rear end in a top hat (i.e., being overzealous or paranoid in guarding your spot) and being a personal rear end in a top hat (i.e., doing stuff that's evidence of psychopathic/sociopathic tendencies). I can live with the former because many of the greats (Flair, Dusty, HBK, even Bret) have done it for reasons both justifiable and petty. The latter just makes me cringe and never want to see that person on TV ever again.

As far as nice guys go, I'm sure someone will probably have a counter-example but I don't think anyone ever had too many bad things to say about Bobby Heenan behind the scenes.

As far as assholes go, Tony Schiavone makes my list because he supposedly fought against Heenan even mentioning Gorilla Monsoon's passing on WCW TV and generally acted like he was better than Heenan or Tenay. Plus he just became the worst announcer in the world once Bischoff took over WCW. It was pretty obvious he was sticking his tongue up Bischoff's rear end as far as it would go.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

IIRC, Tito Santana teaches math at a public school in the Bronx, so he continues to own.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Rodney the Piper posted:

Didn't Abby have a tendency to screw other black workers out of appearances in Japan so that he'd be the only major black dude?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Jacques Rougeau is apparently a really nice guy, even Hogan jobbed to him clean at a WCW house show, which was unheard of for Hogan in WCW.

Many different wrestlers have said he is a huge rear end in a top hat and carny. Kevin Steen talked about how much a turd he was on his Art of Wrestling appearance, and Jacques is the guy that trained him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Grandpa Pap posted:

Has that whole "New Jack was a bounty hunter with four justifiable homicides to his name" thing ever been confirmed? Some sites post it as the gospel truth, others say it's never been independently verified.

Of course now that I've dared to even raise the spectre of doubt, NJ will probably show up here tonight and give me the Kulas treatment. :ohdear:

Yeah, I think there's a difference between being a professional rear end in a top hat (i.e., being overzealous or paranoid in guarding your spot) and being a personal rear end in a top hat (i.e., doing stuff that's evidence of psychopathic/sociopathic tendencies). I can live with the former because many of the greats (Flair, Dusty, HBK, even Bret) have done it for reasons both justifiable and petty. The latter just makes me cringe and never want to see that person on TV ever again.

As far as nice guys go, I'm sure someone will probably have a counter-example but I don't think anyone ever had too many bad things to say about Bobby Heenan behind the scenes.

As far as assholes go, Tony Schiavone makes my list because he supposedly fought against Heenan even mentioning Gorilla Monsoon's passing on WCW TV and generally acted like he was better than Heenan or Tenay. Plus he just became the worst announcer in the world once Bischoff took over WCW. It was pretty obvious he was sticking his tongue up Bischoff's rear end as far as it would go.

Flair is an awful person too

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

bobkatt013 posted:

Flair is an awful person too

Can we get some examples or are we meant to just take that as read? :v:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Grandpa Pap posted:

Can we get some examples or are we meant to just take that as read? :v:

He fathered David Flair.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Well there are all his ex-wives, scummy behavior regarding money, and he fathered david and reid "junkie" flair.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He was also always an rear end in a top hat to fans, calling them "fatboy" at every show.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Flair never ever ever stopped living he Horseman lifestyle, long after it was realistically and financially feasible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I also heard that Arn and Flair no longer talk

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
^^^ Well of course not, Flair is in TNA and The Enforcer would never break kayfabe and talk to a competitor's employee. :colbert:

bobkatt013 posted:

Well there are all his ex-wives, scummy behavior regarding money, and he fathered david and reid "junkie" flair.

These just sound like poor life choices that anyone could make.

And without David Flair we would never have gotten Daffney, so that's negated as far as I'm concerned. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

I also heard that Arn and Flair no longer talk

Flair's divorce lead to that.