Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

whatever7 posted:

That's a great deal. Did you buy it from Amazon warehouse or Amazon marketplace (which is basically ebay buy it now auction)?

Amazon Warehouse Deals - on the "Used" tab on the main product page. I've had amazing luck with buying things from them. A "panasonic" deal alert on SlickDeals alerted me to this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's everyone's feelings on the X10? I bought a *G2* + lovely kit lense, 20mm pancake, and 200mm zoom last year for my compact system. It was pretty fantastic on a trip to costa rica (especially with the 2x crop factor on the 200mm), but day to day when I'm not on vacation, the whole setup isn't enough smaller than my 5D to make much difference. The kit lens also leaves a whole lot to be desired--though the IS is great for video.

I used to have a G10 and didn't really care for it. It seemed to need near daylight to get decent performance, the lens was slow on the long end, and using a power zoom feels really fiddly. After fooling around with an X10 in the store for a bit and I found the manual zoom ring made a surprisingly big difference in how quick the camera felt to use, and the reasonable low light performance would be great.

edit-just realized I have a G2, not gf2.

powderific fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 9, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

powderific posted:

What's everyone's feelings on the X10? I bought a GF2 + lovely kit lense, 20mm pancake, and 200mm zoom last year for my compact system. It was pretty fantastic on a trip to costa rica (especially with the 2x crop factor on the 200mm), but day to day when I'm not on vacation, the whole setup isn't enough smaller than my 5D to make much difference. The kit lens also leaves a whole lot to be desired--though the IS is great for video.

I really enjoy the size of my GF2 with the 20mm pancake. I rarely take any of my other cameras out of the office on weekends unless I have a proper photoshoot since it's so compact and awesome. I even sold my LX3 to my old man since the GF2 kind of did everything I needed it to do really well.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The NEX system is pretty dope for traveling. If you use old manual focus lenses, it packs down nice and small because each lens is an inch or so shorter without the adapter on it. You can carry around a 28mm, 50mm, 90/135 and the NEX 16mm in a fairly minimal bag because the 28 and 50 are pretty much the size of a pancake lens anyway. Not having a prism bump with viewfinder and hot shoe also makes the NEX nice because it keeps the bag flat on your side instead of sticking out.

That said, if you don't plan on shooting much in low light, the X10 should be fine.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I typo'd up there. I actually have the G2, not the GF2.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

powderific posted:

What's everyone's feelings on the X10?

I used to carry around a GH2 and 20mm 1.7 but bought an x10 because I wanted something more pocketable, and I like it a lot for casual shooting. The manual zoom is great, and between the big aperture, good IS for low shutter speeds and EXR + low light modes it's fine for low light stuff. I'm also colorblind enough that correcting color is a pain in the rear end, but the x10 seems to a great job with white balance and nice looking JPEGs.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

JJC has a NEX to cold shoe adapter out now, the MSA-6. It's around $18. You can find it in the usual places for such things.

I'll finally be able to use my Lomo Fisheye 2 viewfinder on my NEX!

I don't suppose you've seen it anywhere with a better shipping time (to the US) than 3+ weeks?

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I used to carry around a GH2 and 20mm 1.7 but bought an x10 because I wanted something more pocketable, and I like it a lot for casual shooting. The manual zoom is great, and between the big aperture, good IS for low shutter speeds and EXR + low light modes it's fine for low light stuff. I'm also colorblind enough that correcting color is a pain in the rear end, but the x10 seems to a great job with white balance and nice looking JPEGs.

I've had my X10 for a few weeks now and I agree that the white balance is really good and it spits out good enough jpegs that I rarely care about raw shooting. The EXR auto mode is also shockingly good to the point that the camera makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat because I hardly ever use the A/S/M modes.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Either of you have any shots / a flickr you'd care to share with some samples? It sounds like it might fit what I'm looking for pretty well. I'll probably bring an SD card to the camera shop this weekend and test one out a bit more thoroughly as well.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

powderific posted:

Either of you have any shots / a flickr you'd care to share with some samples? It sounds like it might fit what I'm looking for pretty well. I'll probably bring an SD card to the camera shop this weekend and test one out a bit more thoroughly as well.

Yeah here's some random shots but you'll have to deal with my lovely post-processing since I'm just learning Lightroom and the fact that flickr won't show you the full sized images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/77789845@N02/sets/72157629185453670/

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is the funniest thread I read all week.
http://www.5i01.cn/topicdetail.php?f=557&t=2292237&r=2&last=33030816

Somebody put the NEX wide angle adapter ECU1 on the m43 14mm pancake. It actually works and the image quality is not bad.

You have to click on the file logos to see the attach image files.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 14, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

eggsovereasy posted:

The aperture ring looks very large too, can definitely see how it would be trouble.

Yeah, looks like you're getting some cool results.

I was at my local Subway sandwich shop getting a sandwich when I bumbled into some free silicone finger bands related to their W82txt texting and driving campaign. While cramming my footlong in my mouth I decided one of those bands would be PERFECT for my focusing issue so I snagged one on my way out and jammed it on my camera.

It feels different enough from the aperture ring that I find the right ring every time. There's also the added friction it gives me over the cold anodized aluminum which makes the process of focusing a much easier process. If you end up with one of these lenses I highly recommend you snag a silicone finger ring, or a fat rubber band and put it around the focusing ring. It might look like rear end but it greatly improves the functionality of the lens.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 14, 2012

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Zack Arias has been shooting with the Xpro-1 for awhile now and has been showing stuff on his blog from trip to Dubai and India here:

http://zackarias.com/blog/

He seems to be thrilled with it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I scored a NIB NEX-3 from a big box retailer for $220 (It was collecting dust in the back of the display case) with the E mount 18-55 lens. I've never had a DSLR like camera so this is all new to me.

So far I've put a $10 UV filter on the lens as cheap insurance. Any other useful accessories I should be grabbing? I've had it a day and it's been great fun so far.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 17, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DoktorLoken posted:

So far I've put a $10 UV filter on the lens as cheap insurance. Any other useful accessories I should be grabbing? I've had it a day and it's been great fun so far.

Spare batteries. The NEX burns through batteries because of the live view system. Any time you're using the camera, the LCD is on and the CPU and AF is whirring away, so it's not like a DSLR where nothing much happens until you take a photo.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, any there any non-Sony batteries that are worth buying? I've definitely noticed that it eats batteries pretty quickly.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, any there any non-Sony batteries that are worth buying? I've definitely noticed that it eats batteries pretty quickly.
I just got generic ones and they're fine.

A-ha moment of the day: Olympus OM lens back caps work fine on NEX lenses.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
Well, I'll just report that the NEX5+Konica 40mm fits nicely into the Snapr 35 bag. Very nice. :)

It's also a nice lens, if very soft and glowy at f/1.8 but who am I kidding, I like the effect, the only downside is the aperture blades get really wacky at f/2.8 which causes some harshness, fine at f/4+.

What isn't nice is how I dropped the thing onto the filter ring - two days ago. I got the bag today. It's loving destiny.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

It's just God punishing you for putting cameras in bags.

Looks like a month or so until E-M5 arrival. The DPreview samples look excellent (holds its own against the NEX-5N which I regard as one of the best APS sensors on the market today). 12-50 looks to be "decent enough" but not more, but has the weathersealing which makes it a really solid little sealed package.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
The X100 just got a firmware update that adds face detection, moves auto ISO to the ISO selection menu and makes the RAW button into a secondary custom function button. If you choose to assign the neutral density filter to it, it becomes toogleable.

It took them long enough but well played, Fuji.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
NEX-7 kits are available in Japan (where I live) and actually a fair bit cheaper, but the catch is the Japanese-only menus. I can deal with it, but it'd torpedo the resale value of the camera when I leave Japan. :sigh:

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Pompous Rhombus posted:

NEX-7 kits are available in Japan (where I live) and actually a fair bit cheaper, but the catch is the Japanese-only menus. I can deal with it, but it'd torpedo the resale value of the camera when I leave Japan. :sigh:

Couldn't you put English firmware on it?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

ThisQuietReverie posted:

The X100 just got a firmware update that adds face detection, moves auto ISO to the ISO selection menu and makes the RAW button into a secondary custom function button. If you choose to assign the neutral density filter to it, it becomes toogleable.

Also, instant 5x magnification of the selected focus point - even in OVF.

Welcome back, x100.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Of course this happens after I sell my lovely little baby. Oh well.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

joelcamefalling posted:

Also, instant 5x magnification of the selected focus point - even in OVF.

Wait, how is this possible?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

moonduck posted:

Wait, how is this possible?

My guess is either it isn't, or it switches to EVF and back again?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

MeKeV posted:

I got the update. It does switch to the EVF for the magnification. It's really fast to switch back and forth. The camera feels a bit snappier today with all of these free upgrades. I love the programmable RAW button and having auto ISO in a logical place. It's should have shipped like that but this camera was a learning experience for Fuji. I'm glad they are still supporting it a year after I got mine.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Do you guys need to format your SD card before updating, or is it ok to just throw the new firmware on it? My third X100 has been working just fine (knock on wood) save for the OVF power save mode which I'm pretty sure is working the opposite of intended as it brightens the display instead of dims it but I wouldn't use it anyway.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Cacator posted:

Do you guys need to format your SD card before updating, or is it ok to just throw the new firmware on it? My third X100 has been working just fine (knock on wood) save for the OVF power save mode which I'm pretty sure is working the opposite of intended as it brightens the display instead of dims it but I wouldn't use it anyway.

I did format my card as that is what the instructions say. It may not be required at all, as I'm sure the camera will recognize the file in the root directory. I guess you could somehow lose your other data on the card but I'm not sure why that would happen.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Cacator posted:

OVF Power Save saves power by not providing continuous histogram updates in the OVF.

I always use two cards for the firmware update process, one formatted and on the other I take a photo at my desk. The formatted one gets the firmware copied to it and the other one gets set aside. After updating the firmware I swap the cards and take another photo. I do it this way because updating always resets the image count and taking a photo before and after updating preserves it.

I always format to update, it just seems like when you're writing to camera guts would be when the camera is the most vulnerable.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MeKeV posted:

It would be neat if it did a superimposed magnified patch in the middle of the OVF.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

Couldn't you put English firmware on it?

Not until someone hacks it, apparently.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just look for the "bokeh" button.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Looks like a month or so until E-M5 arrival. The DPreview samples look excellent (holds its own against the NEX-5N which I regard as one of the best APS sensors on the market today). 12-50 looks to be "decent enough" but not more, but has the weathersealing which makes it a really solid little sealed package.

robinwong.blogspot.com has some real-world use reports up, and I'm impressed enough to consider going M4/3 instead of NEX. I need to start thinking about selling off the DSLR gear soon.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Ok, so, I'm intrigued by the prospect of using vintage manual focus lenses on my new NEX. It seems relatively cheap and awesome.

Since I'm new to this whole game and on a limited budget, I'm bidding on a 50mm 1.7 Minolta MC Rokkor which I should hopefully score for $15 or so plus another $20 for an adapter (unless there is a cheaper Minolta->E Mount ring).

Is there a convenient list of vintage lenses that I should look out for on my camera?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Seriously digging the new X100 FW update, now it's going to be less annoying when trying to shoot directly into the sky with the toggleable ND filter. Everytime the FW is updated, it seems like the sound the camera makes when auto focusing changes :v:.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Mest0r posted:

Seriously digging the new X100 FW update, now it's going to be less annoying when trying to shoot directly into the sky with the toggleable ND filter. Everytime the FW is updated, it seems like the sound the camera makes when auto focusing changes :v:.

I'm usually skeptical of people claiming that the AF changed after every single firmware update but 1.20 really does alter the way the camera sounds. Also, there is demonstrable proof that the AF has been monkeyed with in that manual mode with EVF is pretty hosed when you use the AFL button to iniate autofocus. It's misfocusing like it's its job when that method previously was one of the faster and more accurate methods of using the camera. AF-S is near DSLR fast now though so I'll have to switch to that until this all gets sorted out.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It's just God punishing you for putting cameras in bags.

"By March 31st" here in Japan.

I am super excited, I am getting body only as I have a fair collection of 4/3 and m4/3 lenses already, but now I'm starting to really feel the pull of maybe the 45 1.8 or the 25 1.4.

I already have 4/3 gear in fairly equivalent focal lengths but those lenses are both really compact and I want to buy shiny new things.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

"By March 31st" here in Japan.

I am super excited, I am getting body only as I have a fair collection of 4/3 and m4/3 lenses already, but now I'm starting to really feel the pull of maybe the 45 1.8 or the 25 1.4.

I already have 4/3 gear in fairly equivalent focal lengths but those lenses are both really compact and I want to buy shiny new things.

I'm almost considering selling my 20mm f1.7 along with my E-P3 and getting the 25mm f1.4 instead for the E-M5. My X100 covers a similar focal length and pocketability won't really be a factor in either case anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I don't think this has been posted yet, but here's an interesting blog post that covers how to emulate photos taken with a full frame sensor with a m4/3 (or similar) cam.
http://admiringlight.com/blog/large-sensor-look-from-a-small-sensor-camera/

Also, the dissection of some pancake lenses:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/unmaking-pancakes