Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Tigertron posted:

In all reality I am just interested in finding the niche community of dorkroom that likes the immediacy of the images captured using these methods.

Could you sound more pompous (rhombus!)?

It's a picture. If it looks good, post it. If it's not good, people will tell you why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Tigertron posted:

Well, if I feel I want to garner more appreciation for my images outside of the slow traffic of the cellphone photo thread, where should I go? I assume I am just as well posting in photo a day without designating they came from a phone. In all reality I am just interested in finding the niche community of dorkroom that likes the immediacy of the images captured using these methods.

Is anyone opposed to seeing these types of photos in PAD, and how would you respond with critique?

I imagine someone might possibly point out a feature of the photo that would be a bit off for a DSLR (like absurd DoF due to tiny sensor) or something, but if there's nothing wrong with the picture, it's just another picture and it doesn't matter that you took it with a phone.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Snapshot a day is just the place where you can appreciate the immediacy of the images captured using these methods.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Reichstag posted:

A photo is a photo.

My photos are Art*

*i.e. out of focus, badly framed and with terrible subjects

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

spog posted:

out of focus, badly framed and with terrible subjects

So they are like your posts this thread then?

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 17, 2012

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

8th-samurai posted:

So they are like your posts this thread then?

No need to edit to save my feelings: that was bloody funny.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

spog posted:

*i.e. out of focus

You mean "with that dreamy effect".

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Jesus, the Adobe online store sucks.

I just bought Lightroom 4, and selected online download for 810 of my local moon money.
Completed the purchase, and I'm now waiting at least one business day for them to "review my order". Why, exactly? You've got the CC information, let me have the software. (I know I can download the trial, but I'm an impatient man!)

But maybe it's a good thing, seeing as according to the order status page, the price was changed from 810 MoonMoney to 810 USD, increasing the price by a factor of 5.6. I'd say that's significant.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
810 of what currency? That seems... Excessive... As LR 4 is only $150 usd.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Danish Kroner. It's approximately 150 USD.

I've now been using LR4 for all of 15 minutes, and I must say that so far it's much more responsive than LR3. Menus are quick, sliders respond instantly etc. Quite the opposite of almost every report I've heard. A nice surprise :)

Mathturbator fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 17, 2012

mes
Apr 28, 2006

The 'trial' and the full version are the same thing, the program just prompts in the beginning when you start it up if you have a serial number or if you want to try it for 30 days. During anytime during the trial period you can input your serial number when you get it from Adobe, no use waiting really.

Edit: Looks like you already installed it :v:

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Almost two months after delivering web-sized photos in an online gallery and downloadable package and asking if they're satisfied, client returns to me: "Oh yeah, we also need full-sized versions for tomorrow. For ALL of the shots. We don't know if we're going to use any of them, but we need them ALL."

:suicide:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I'm super excited. I just put in a rental order for an X100 to take on my trip to NY/Boston in 2 weeks. I'm going to try and travel as light as possible for once and not pre plan things to death.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Reichstag posted:

A photo is a photo.

mine aren't :(

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I'm super excited. I just put in a rental order for an X100 to take on my trip to NY/Boston in 2 weeks. I'm going to try and travel as light as possible for once and not pre plan things to death.

Make sure you get the new firmware on it!
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/21/Fujifilm-X100-firmware-v1p2

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

aliencowboy posted:

mine aren't :(
I like your ... images ... for lack of a more universally-recognized term. :unsmith:

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
Looks like Photoshop CS6 Beta is available now to test out.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs6/

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I just got hired to make some American Apparel parody ads, and I'm really looking forward to locking a bunch of skinny girls with underarm hair in my basementthis project. Now, the big question is... do I spend the $30 buying Helvetica?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

squidflakes posted:

I just got hired to make some American Apparel parody ads, and I'm really looking forward to locking a bunch of skinny girls with underarm hair in my basementthis project. Now, the big question is... do I spend the $30 buying Helvetica?

Just use Arial.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Reichstag posted:

Just use Arial.

Blasphemy, but if it is a spoof, it might be funny on another level.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

squidflakes posted:

If you're gonna do it, do it right and buy Helvetica.

The question is why don't you have it already?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does anyone have any serious problems photographing stuff in the spring?

I've developed a horrible habit this week of shooting anything with a bit of green on it, just because IT'S ALIVE which is a huge contrast to the dead tree skeletons I've had to stare at since November.

Fortunately when I get home I come to my senses and delete just about everything.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Around here, spring is kind of a bummer actually because it's the ugliest season. It doesn't have vibrant colours like summer and fall and it's not moody or cozy like winter. It's the season where everything is kind of mushy because it's recovering from getting the gently caress beaten out of it by winter.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

xzzy posted:

Does anyone have any serious problems photographing stuff in the spring?

I've developed a horrible habit this week of shooting anything with a bit of green on it, just because IT'S ALIVE which is a huge contrast to the dead tree skeletons I've had to stare at since November.

Fortunately when I get home I come to my senses and delete just about everything.

Yep, it's the time of year for corny bokeh shots of blossoms and whatever the hell else. I'm not even ashamed!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

One million squirrel photos, and another 500k shots of my crocuses.

That's spring in Michigan.

KleenexCMW
Dec 26, 2003
That's no pumpkin, that's a beetroot!

MAkev posted:

If you recently bought Lightroom 3 when it was on deep discount, you might qualify for a free upgrade to Lightroom 4. http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/upgrade-policy-product-announcement.html

Thanks for this! I just got my confirmation that my $90 Amazon daily deal purchase of Lightroom 3 is eligible for an upgrade and I should receive it in the mail in 5-7 days.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

kefkafloyd posted:

You know, that's never come up. Buuut, there goes 3X:10bux:

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

kefkafloyd posted:

He's probably running a PC, Arial was invented by windows as a way of getting around the licensing for helvetica and still to this day helvetica doesn't come stock on PC's, to my knowledge at least. although using arial for an AA spoof would be pretty funny (although probably only a few people would actually get it)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

whereismyshoe posted:

He's probably running a PC, Arial was invented by windows as a way of getting around the licensing for helvetica and still to this day helvetica doesn't come stock on PC's, to my knowledge at least. although using arial for an AA spoof would be pretty funny (although probably only a few people would actually get it)

Yes, i know Helvetica doesn't come standard on Windows, it's more that it should be in every designer's toolkit regardless.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is kind of interesting, Venus visible during daylight hours:

http://www.space.com/15036-venus-daylight-skywatching-tips.html

Has me trying to think of a way to photograph it, and whether the results would be interesting. It seems like it'd be a pretty uncommon sighting, right?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

xzzy posted:

This is kind of interesting, Venus visible during daylight hours:

http://www.space.com/15036-venus-daylight-skywatching-tips.html

Has me trying to think of a way to photograph it, and whether the results would be interesting. It seems like it'd be a pretty uncommon sighting, right?

Judging from the diagram I'd think that people would assume it to be a dust spot or a bird or something.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Very cool self-portrait shoot-out from Gulf Photo Plus, Dubai.

Three photographers need to take a self-portrait on stage in 20 minutes (the video is 7 minutes), with about 200 guests watching. Very much worth watching to see how these guys work under time constraints. Gregory Heisler thinks for 18 minutes and wins the shoot-out with just one frame shot.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 26, 2012

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

squidflakes posted:

I use Heldustry FT because I'm a cheapass and don't really do design stuff other than occasional presentations for internal use anyway.
http://www.pickafont.com/fonts/H/Heldustryft%20Regular.html

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Very cool self-portrait shoot-out from Gulf Photo Plus, Dubai.

Three photographers need to take a self-portrait on stage in 20 minutes (the video is 7 minutes), with about 200 guests watching. Very much worth watching to see how these guys work under time constraints. Gregory Heisler thinks for 18 minutes and wins the shoot-out with just one frame shot.

I just watched it, and then it got made private. Lame.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

the posted:

Here's the text version for those who missed it: http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/2012/03/shootout-in-desert-round-three.html

The video posted on strobist is private now too, not sure what the issue is.

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.
Seems like its up for me, give it another shot

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the posted:

I just clicked again, and it loads with no problems.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I'm intending to do a shoot in a rainstorm this Saturday. I'll report back if I manage to not ruin every piece of gear that I own.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

McMadCow posted:

I'm intending to do a shoot in a rainstorm this Saturday. I'll report back if I manage to not ruin every piece of gear that I own.

I was busy drifting on the track, how did it go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Evilkiksass posted:

I was busy drifting on the track, how did it go?

This coming Saturday. :) The potential model still hasn't confirmed, so we'll see if this really happens.