Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

chrix posted:

You don't need to use iTunes at all to use Serato. Simple drag-and-drop works just fine if you'd rather not deal with iTunes.

But is there a way to have Serato auto-update a specific folder on boot? Or do I need to drag that folder into Serato every single time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

vas0line posted:

I want to upgrade the old rear end Caffeine record bag I've had for the last decade or so. I don't even use it for records any more. Sad, really. It's just barely not big enough to fit everything.

Anyone know anything about this: http://www.monocase.com/mono-efx-dj.asp ?
It's gotta fit a 2-channel mixer, 13" laptop, SSL interface, needle case, and all the other usual poo poo.

I have this bag, it's pretty dope

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I have this bag, it's pretty dope

haha! i do too! its so filthy and used.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!
So I picked up an NS6 a few weeks back and I'm ridiculously in love with it (I moved from a Hercules RMX so it was a BIG step up).. This thing is a huge, heavy best that should last me a long time.

..but not so long if I move it around without a case. Can anybody recommend something or should I pick up this Gator case (it'd be a local purchase, and I'm lazy). I'd like to start hauling it to house parties, friend's houses, etc so it will need to be pretty sturdy (especially if it ends up going onto a plane at some point).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got myself a Kontrol S2 because I got a bonus at work, I have a dumb Traktor question: Is there any way for it to feed the detected BPM back into the BPM tag in the library? It obviously saves it because it doesn't analyze the file again but the BPM stays 0 in the browser.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

qirex posted:

I got myself a Kontrol S2 because I got a bonus at work, I have a dumb Traktor question: Is there any way for it to feed the detected BPM back into the BPM tag in the library? It obviously saves it because it doesn't analyze the file again but the BPM stays 0 in the browser.

I believe you have to hit the little lock icon button in Traktor to save to ID3.. check out this page near the bottom:

http://blog.dubspot.com/beat-gridding-in-traktor-syncing-properly-dj-endo/

(I haven't used Traktor in a couple months so I don't exactly remember where)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

qirex posted:

Right click -> check consistency

quickest way I've found to refresh the view with updated tag info

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rickets posted:

I believe you have to hit the little lock icon button in Traktor to save to ID3.. check out this page near the bottom:

http://blog.dubspot.com/beat-gridding-in-traktor-syncing-properly-dj-endo/

(I haven't used Traktor in a couple months so I don't exactly remember where)
That looks like it should work. Given my job as an interface designer the number of tiny, unlabeled controls in Traktor is kind of driving me nuts. One other question, since my old favorite Sony V6es appear to have disappeared from the market, what's a good pair of headphones in the $100ish range? I'm not going to be gigging or anything, this is just for screwing around at home. I've heard good things about the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO5 and the price is certainly right.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

qirex posted:

That looks like it should work. Given my job as an interface designer the number of tiny, unlabeled controls in Traktor is kind of driving me nuts. One other question, since my old favorite Sony V6es appear to have disappeared from the market, what's a good pair of headphones in the $100ish range? I'm not going to be gigging or anything, this is just for screwing around at home. I've heard good things about the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO5 and the price is certainly right.

It's at the high end, but some of the best studio / DJ headphones under 100 are the Sony MDR-V600.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JohnnyMondo posted:

It's at the high end, but some of the best studio / DJ headphones under 100 are the Sony MDR-V600.
I tried the V600s a long time ago and wasn't a huge fan. I ended up buying V700s instead [anyone want to guess what happened to those?]. It looks like V6es and 7506es are trickling back into the retail channel so I might just get a pair of those, maybe another tsunami or Thailand flood distribution problem for Sony?

I should have just bought like 4 pairs of v6es when they were $75 on Amazon 5 years ago.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 16, 2012

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

qirex posted:

I tried the V600s a long time ago and wasn't a huge fan. I ended up buying V700s instead [anyone want to guess what happened to those?]. It looks like V6es and 7506es are trickling back into the retail channel so I might just get a pair of those, maybe another tsunami or Thailand flood distribution problem for Sony?

I should have just bought like 4 pairs of v6es when they were $75 on Amazon 5 years ago.

I also really like the Sennheiser HD 280, those should also be around 100.

I still have a pair of the v700s, and I just fixed that case-cracking problem with some wire and super glue. It's janky, but they still work fine.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

qirex posted:

I really liked the 7506s. I've had mine for 12 years before they were so beat up I finally replaced them with the Allen & Heath XD-53s

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

My v900s are still going strong after something like 7 or 8 years, although they are definitely beat to hell

I don't think they make them anymore though

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
What do you guys think about in-ear monitors? Kind of tired of my ears ringing the entire day after a gig.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

TheWevel posted:

What do you guys think about in-ear monitors? Kind of tired of my ears ringing the entire day after a gig.

Turn down your booth monitors?
My friend uses them, likes them a lot. They are extremely expensive though.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Run, don't walk, to your local stores (or Amazon) and get several sets of Etymotic ER20 ear plugs right now.

They're cheaper than getting the custom moulded in-ears and are supremely effective at taming high levels. (Don't get me wrong, the in-ear monitors are great but a stress nightmare considering how easily lost they are relative to their cost.)

You really don't want to be regretting not doing so and getting tinnitus and/or hearing loss in this line of work.

Edit regarding can chat: I'm personally a big fan of Grado SR80i but as ever a lot of it comes down to personal preference and predilections.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 16, 2012

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

ynohtna posted:

Run, don't walk, to your local stores (or Amazon) and get several sets of Etymotic ER20 ear plugs right now.

These are great my friends and I all own a pair. They reduce sound level without drowning anything out so it still sounds great and you can have conversations with people. They are cheap, come with a carrying case, and will prevent your ears from getting damaged. Cheap as hell too.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Firaga posted:

Turn down your booth monitors?

I wish it were that easy. None of the booths I DJ at have monitors so I always end up using my headphones.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

ynohtna posted:

They're cheaper than getting the custom moulded in-ears and are supremely effective at taming high levels. (Don't get me wrong, the in-ear monitors are great but a stress nightmare considering how easily lost they are relative to their cost.)

You really don't want to be regretting not doing so and getting tinnitus and/or hearing loss in this line of work.

Edit regarding can chat: I'm personally a big fan of Grado SR80i but as ever a lot of it comes down to personal preference and predilections.

The plastic knobs stick out and they jam into my ears when i put my headphones on and off.

I like to rip an orange earplug in half and jam those in my ears. I dont have a real solution, if i have monitors i like them louder than damnit so i can hear myself scratching.

Something else is to make sure you headphones are bass heavy. Bass doesnt hurt your ears and something ive noticed is the tendency for cheaper cans to be trebly and they really really hurt your ears because they have to be so loud to hear and they have no bass. So make sure you have have lots of bass in the headphones.

Also, your ears are like muscles. If you wail on your ears for 3 nights in a row, it will be alot worse than 3 nights every other day or 3 spread out over two weeks. They get tired and you have to let them rest. So like, the next day after a gig, go easy on them or it will just prolong the ringing and probably damage them slightly more than if you didnt. And its cumulative over your life, so remember that. Its a major problem and i have noticed a significant decrease in my hearing over 3 years. So much so, im currently not pursuing DJing unless its a dream gig. I feel like i have seriously damaged my hearing. I have to sleep with a fan on because my ears ring so loudly now, and sometimes after gigs i would have to bring another fan in or something else to make more noise because i couldnt sleep due to the ringing. So yea, be careful, it adds up trust me.

Also, i made a tune i thought you guys might like: http://tindeck.com/listen/sypd

oredun fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 17, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Is there any reason I could use something like this:

as a midi controller for live setups combined with an APC-20 for launching clips? Line everything up as needed and have effects/direct synth controls mapped manually?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

as a midi controller for live setups combined with an APC-20 for launching clips? Line everything up as needed and have effects/direct synth controls mapped manually?

i dont believe that mixer has midi, so no i dont think you could use it as a midi controller.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

:psyduck: pretty sure that's just a plain cheap-as-poo poo line mixer and has no midi functionality whatsoever

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

TheWevel posted:

Been djing 10 years, wint ever go back to non in ears. Lower volume, better fit

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

I just use cans with molded ear plugs (http://www.etymotic.com/hp/erme.html), I don't like in-ear stuff because I think they're way too fragile.

Spent the last few days importing my library to iTunes and cutting it down, retagging every correctly, and implementing playlist codes into song tags for smart playlists. Cut it down to 73 gigs. It's something that I never ever want to do again. I backed it up to three different external hard drives, including one cold storage.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

OK so a friend wants me to spin some tracks on an event he's throwing this Friday. He told me about this at least a month ago and I asked him to arrange a time prior (as in weeks before as I had holiday time booked off work so it'd be easy) so I could head over with my PA kit and set poo poo up so things are perfect. The PA would be running a few bands and then me throwing on some tracks for the more intoxicated to head nod to. I ask for a couple of hours to play and take some readings on the real time analyser. I also ask what sort of stuff he wants playing as the bands are kinda rock/indie.

Weeks passed and I'd heard nothing so I just assume that poo poo's been cancelled. I get a text the other day asking if I was still doing this with him. Basically the venue (one that thinks it's far better than it actually is) cannot be bothered to have someone there for a couple of hours before they open on an evening. This means I either set up the PA in a rush or their horrible cheap lovely PA gets used which sucks all the fun out of music...

I predict this will be a complete clusterfuck.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

88h88 posted:

OK so a friend wants me to spin some tracks on an event he's throwing this Friday. He told me about this at least a month ago and I asked him to arrange a time prior (as in weeks before as I had holiday time booked off work so it'd be easy) so I could head over with my PA kit and set poo poo up so things are perfect. The PA would be running a few bands and then me throwing on some tracks for the more intoxicated to head nod to. I ask for a couple of hours to play and take some readings on the real time analyser. I also ask what sort of stuff he wants playing as the bands are kinda rock/indie.

Weeks passed and I'd heard nothing so I just assume that poo poo's been cancelled. I get a text the other day asking if I was still doing this with him. Basically the venue (one that thinks it's far better than it actually is) cannot be bothered to have someone there for a couple of hours before they open on an evening. This means I either set up the PA in a rush or their horrible cheap lovely PA gets used which sucks all the fun out of music...

I predict this will be a complete clusterfuck.

I dont see whats so hard? All you have to do is set the speakers up and turn the amps on, right? Am i missing something?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
You sound like a perfectionist and/or you're new at setting up stage equipment. You don't need to get things set up perfectly days (or hours) before, especially for something as technically simple as a DJ setup. As long as you know your equipment, you should be fine.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Well, it does suck to run sound on bands without doing sound check, but that's basically 90% of rock shows, so no big deal.

Just go as early as you can, and do the best you can. The DJ part is going to be the easiest

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I've been really interested in getting into DJing and have done some casual mixing, but I think I might take the plunge sometime soon and pick up a Traktor X1. I have a Hercules DJ Mp3 e2 I bought a year or so ago that I've messed around with, but it looks like the X1 will be a ton more intuitive for me personally and a better starting point. Plus, I just grabbed the Traktor 2 demo after not using it for a while, and I really find it so much easier to use than Virtual DJ.

I'm sure it's all preference but that's where I'm headed. Thanks for the great OP.

I currently don't have a laptop and I'm playing around with using my desktop. Seems to be working well, but I can't seem to get Traktor to play via HDMI and monitor via my onboard soundcard at the same time. Is there a solution for this? Does the X1 have a built in monitoring output, or should I also be looking at grabbing some external sound...thing? I have an old USB PreAmp lying around...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

epswing posted:

You sound like a perfectionist and/or you're new at setting up stage equipment. You don't need to get things set up perfectly days (or hours) before, especially for something as technically simple as a DJ setup. As long as you know your equipment, you should be fine.

Yup, perfectionist. It's a relatively new PA setup and it uses folded horn subs which can either just be slammed down and switched on or properly placed in the room to maximise the wow factor (ie; overcome placement which steals my valuable low end frequencies) which is what I'd want seeing as I built them myself and know what they can do. The kit is massively capable so with a measly hour's prep they could sound amazing but the venue seems incapable of sparing this pre-event hour.

DJ setup is easy as I've done it in 15 minutes before but who likes being rushed? It's more the fact that a few bands would also be playing through it so I'd like a wee bit of time to get everything EQd properly to suit the venue.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 20, 2012

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Quidnose posted:

I've been really interested in getting into DJing and have done some casual mixing, but I think I might take the plunge sometime soon and pick up a Traktor X1. I have a Hercules DJ Mp3 e2 I bought a year or so ago that I've messed around with, but it looks like the X1 will be a ton more intuitive for me personally and a better starting point. Plus, I just grabbed the Traktor 2 demo after not using it for a while, and I really find it so much easier to use than Virtual DJ.

If you're dead set on using Traktor, just go ahead and pick up the Traktor S2. It has an audio interface built in, and will offer you more control options over the X1. It's also on sale at most places. The X1 is mainly designed to supplement other DJ gear, and is for control only (no audio interface).

That said, I am a Serato guy and I think DJ Intro would be a good alternative for you.
http://serato.com/dj-intro/what-is-it

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

^^ seconding what he said. The X1 doesn't have an audio interface so it's not as useful as a stand-alone solution.

The S2 is on sale right now until the end of the month

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-kontrol-s2/

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Well gently caress, why did you guys have to do this to me. That's exactly what I need in every way but I do not have the money to drop on it right now. :(

How much more expensive is it when it's not on sale?

EDIT: ACTUALLY. I have some money coming in, so, uh, purchased. Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm stoked.

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 21, 2012

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Quidnose posted:

Well gently caress, why did you guys have to do this to me. That's exactly what I need in every way but I do not have the money to drop on it right now. :(

How much more expensive is it when it's not on sale?

Dude I paid 300 for an audio interface and TP2 alone, just be glad you're getting a kickass controller too.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
If I'm not mistaken the S2 comes with an integrated audio interface. I already have a setup which uses the NI Audio 2. Is the interface in the S2 comparable with the Audio 2?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

epswing posted:

If I'm not mistaken the S2 comes with an integrated audio interface. I already have a setup which uses the NI Audio 2. Is the interface in the S2 comparable with the Audio 2?

It's the same NI quality with more outputs and a mic input. Might as well sell the Audio 2.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Neato. If I sell my mixtrack pro, audio 2, (single) denon cdj 1000, and stanton 2-ch mixer...that should put me in the ballpark...

epswing fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 22, 2012

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Koesj posted:

Dude I paid 300 for an audio interface and TP2 alone, just be glad you're getting a kickass controller too.

That's part of what I used to justify it. It defintiely is a kickass piece of equipment. Looking forward to it getting here!

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

88h88 posted:

Yup, perfectionist. It's a relatively new PA setup and it uses folded horn subs which can either just be slammed down and switched on or properly placed in the room to maximise the wow factor (ie; overcome placement which steals my valuable low end frequencies) which is what I'd want seeing as I built them myself and know what they can do. The kit is massively capable so with a measly hour's prep they could sound amazing but the venue seems incapable of sparing this pre-event hour.

DJ setup is easy as I've done it in 15 minutes before but who likes being rushed? It's more the fact that a few bands would also be playing through it so I'd like a wee bit of time to get everything EQd properly to suit the venue.

The venue wont let you do it because its a real pain in the rear end to have joe "soundguy" mcnoob in there rooting around in their poo poo. I would never let anyone do it on my stage. You either pay me and use the venues poo poo, or you can bring yours, not touch mine, and you have the same amount of time as the band. Its a policy thing because theres always people trying to get in there "a few hours early" to set up some grandiose sound/light system.

Just dont worry about it, bring the least amount of gear you can, and get in there and set up as fast as possible without bothering the people at the venue and especially the sound dude or youll piss them off and not be able to come back(it kinda sounds like you may not even care about that).

Good luck tho, and dont get stressed out just get in there and do your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguinone
Nov 28, 2007

Any of you guys dj in the Detroit metro/Ann Arbor area? Starting to look around for a wedding in December.