Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A quick swipe across my jeans is all it takes to eliminate all prints on my screen (no screen protector). What kind of poo poo are you people getting on your fingers that you're creating persistent streaks on your screens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I'm not quoting personal experience here (I don't lock my phone) but thanks for implying that we're gross. Humans secrete oil from their skin. :dealwithit:

Google this issue, it's well-documented in the context of the pattern-lock being weak security.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone know how to stop the kickback, talkback, and soundback services from complainimg about updates?

One of them installs a third party keyboard that I don't even want so I uninstalled the update but now they're all nagging me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does anyone know how to stop the kickback, talkback, and soundback services from complainimg about updates?

One of them installs a third party keyboard that I don't even want so I uninstalled the update but now they're all nagging me.
You could uninstall them or freeze them or even detach them from the Play Store although that might be broken with the current version according to the Titanium changelog.

BearQuake
Oct 22, 2008
Wasn't there a case recently where the FBI couldn't crack the pattern lock on some pimps phone?

found it:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46750035/ns/technology_and_science-security/t/fbi-obtains-warrant-force-google-unlock-pimps-android-phone/

I should clarify, I'm not trying to say that screen smudges are not an issue. I just find it funny that no one told the FBI.

For my Fourth Edit: VVVV that's brilliant.

BearQuake fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 21, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BearQuake posted:

Wasn't there a case recently where the FBI couldn't crack the pattern lock on some pimps phone?
That's because he always unlocked the phone with the back of hand which doesn't leave the greasy streaks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

iTunes makes it so easy to correct and manage tag data I don't understand how anyone can have so many problems.

All I can say is my tag data/album organisation looks fine on iTunes but not on the iPod. This even persisted through a complete wipe and letting iTunes manage music how it wanted (as recommended in the iTunes thread)

I'd actually say I've had fewer issues on my Android devices, where usually its just the album art that does not work.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

You could uninstall them or freeze them or even detach them from the Play Store although that might be broken with the current version according to the Titanium changelog.

Looks like I now have a use for the ICS freezing app thing then. Does that stop nagging about updates too?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

All I can say is my tag data/album organisation looks fine on iTunes but not on the iPod. This even persisted through a complete wipe and letting iTunes manage music how it wanted (as recommended in the iTunes thread)

I'd actually say I've had fewer issues on my Android devices, where usually its just the album art that does not work.
The album art needs to be attached to the file which iTunes doesn't do by default. What you can do is copy the art after iTunes finds it, Get Info on all the files in that album, and paste it into the Artwork box. That will attach the album art to the file itself.

As for iPod trouble, I can't really help much as I've still got a 5G 80GB iPod that I use. Works perfectly there though.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like I now have a use for the ICS freezing app thing then. Does that stop nagging about updates too?
I've never used the inbuilt thing on Ice Cream Sandwich so I don't know how it handles the updates.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

LastInLine posted:

That's because he always unlocked the phone with the back of hand which doesn't leave the greasy streaks.

You can just use a pattern that repeats over itself like a figure 8. There's no way to guess where the pattern starts correctly including csi style grease examinations or whatever.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

zer0spunk posted:

You can just use a pattern that repeats over itself like a figure 8. There's no way to guess where the pattern starts correctly including csi style grease examinations or whatever.

Except by, y'know, trying all 9 possible starting places in both directions.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thoom posted:

Doesn't it lock you out after a few failed attempts?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thoom posted:

Can't you make your pattern hit the same place multiple times in a pattern? That would make the necessary search space much larger.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
No one is trying to break into your phones, nerds.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
For anyone else who bought Kitchen Confidential while on sale and can no longer read it on their device (everyone who bought it?), I finally fixed the issue through a convoluted series of steps.

Delete Kitchen Confidential from Phone AND Library.
Clear cache of Google Play Books App
Find Book in Google Play Store and hit Open to re-add to Google Play Books library.

Way to promote your service Google :thumbsup:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

For anyone else who bought Kitchen Confidential while on sale and can no longer read it on their device (everyone who bought it?), I finally fixed the issue through a convoluted series of steps.

Delete Kitchen Confidential from Phone AND Library.
Clear cache of Google Play Books App
Find Book in Google Play Store and hit Open to re-add to Google Play Books library.

Way to promote your service Google :thumbsup:

This still didn't work for me. I'll try again later, but this is my first google play book and I definitely won't be buying anymore until it's fixed.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
wrong thread.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 22, 2012

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

beerinator posted:

This still didn't work for me. I'll try again later, but this is my first google play book and I definitely won't be buying anymore until it's fixed.
I also read some of the book online between steps 2 and 3 and synced it with that, maybe that was also a required step?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I deleted both the data and cache for Google Play books and it worked for me.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
For US users with ICS, latest version of Google Voice voicemail now integrates directly with the dialer:

http://googlemobile.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/google-voice-for-android-now-with-ice.html

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

I've got this crazy idea about visiting a city and seeing as much of it as possible, but when I say that, I mean literally. I want to be able to go down every street, whether or not there's anything worth seeing.

Is there an Android app that would help me with this? What would be cool is an app that displays a map of where I am and draws a line as I travel down a street. This line is kept forever even if I close the app and re-open, this would basically allow me to see where I haven't been yet so that I don't visit the same place twice.

When I'm finished I can look at a map and I see exactly where I've visited.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Long Wang posted:

I've got this crazy idea about visiting a city and seeing as much of it as possible, but when I say that, I mean literally. I want to be able to go down every street, whether or not there's anything worth seeing.

Is there an Android app that would help me with this? What would be cool is an app that displays a map of where I am and draws a line as I travel down a street. This line is kept forever even if I close the app and re-open, this would basically allow me to see where I haven't been yet so that I don't visit the same place twice.

When I'm finished I can look at a map and I see exactly where I've visited.

You could use Mytracks to do this. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.maps.mytracks&hl=en

e. Copy and paste fail. Sometimes I hate Honeycomb

dissss fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 22, 2012

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I have a network printer accessible via Wifi. Is there any way to print things on it from Android?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
If you're using 2-step authorisation on your Google account (i.e. you need to use the Authenticator app to supply a verification number every thirty days), they've released a new version on the Market as a separate app. You'll need to install the new app and run it, let it switch over to the new app, and then uninstall the old app.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I have a network printer accessible via Wifi. Is there any way to print things on it from Android?

I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dynamixsoftware.printershare&hl=en

You need the paid version for most of the features, I believe it was an Amazon app of the day once, but the paid version has worked great with the wifi/network share printers i've used (HP and Canon).

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
If manufacturers want tablet computers to become viable as laptop replacements, they're going to need to add easy print capability.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

grover posted:

If manufacturers want tablet computers to become viable as laptop replacements, they're going to need to add easy print capability.

I've been using PrinterShare. It works awesomely.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...nRlcnNoYXJlIl0.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Vagrancy posted:

For US users with ICS, latest version of Google Voice voicemail now integrates directly with the dialer:

http://googlemobile.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/google-voice-for-android-now-with-ice.html

I just updated on my GN and one thing is bothering me. I get a notification icon when I have voicemail and it plays in the dialer fine. But I can't set a notification sound for voicemail since I have Google Voice set as my voicemail service. Am I missing something?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I just updated on my GN and one thing is bothering me. I get a notification icon when I have voicemail and it plays in the dialer fine. But I can't set a notification sound for voicemail since I have Google Voice set as my voicemail service. Am I missing something?
Are you using Light Flow or not? If not, in the Google Voice app, Settings, Notifications and Sync, Select ringtone. If so, make sure that's enable and in the Light Flow app be sure that it isn't overriding Google Voice.

If you're using carrier voicemail (and why would you), I don't think there are separate notification settings for voicemail unless there is some sort of app associated with it.

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

dissss posted:

You could use Mytracks to do this. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.maps.mytracks&hl=en

e. Copy and paste fail. Sometimes I hate Honeycomb

Yeah, this is what I was looking for. Ideally I'd like to be able to see all my previous tracks on the screen even when I'm recording a new one but this will do.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Long Wang posted:

Yeah, this is what I was looking for. Ideally I'd like to be able to see all my previous tracks on the screen even when I'm recording a new one but this will do.

Save your tracks to your google maps account. Then, you can turn on and off tracks you saved in the web browser version of google maps. You should be able to have a bunch of tracks loaded at once that way.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

There's a hundred pages of this and i skimmed some of it. I was wondering if there is a recommended messenger app for MSN/AIM/Yahoo that combines them all?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ramadu posted:

There's a hundred pages of this and i skimmed some of it. I was wondering if there is a recommended messenger app for MSN/AIM/Yahoo that combines them all?

Trillian. It's the only C2DM IM app that isn't complete crap. Please note that it itself is crap, just less so.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Trillian. It's the only C2DM IM app that isn't complete crap. Please note that it itself is crap, just less so.
What's wrong with it? I've never used it since it's not the 90s and no one uses IM anymore but I'm just curious.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vagrancy posted:

I noticed this today, but... what does it mean for me? I mostly use GV as a voicemail replacement, and to text whenever I'm out of the country.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I noticed this today, but... what does it mean for me? I mostly use GV as a voicemail replacement, and to text whenever I'm out of the country.
It means that links to the voicemail now appear in the call history.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Ramadu posted:

I use imo, and it's rock solid. I only use it for AIM, but it works with MSN and Yahoo too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I've never used it since it's not the 90s and no one uses IM anymore

People use FB Chat and Trillian does FB Chat.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vykk.Draygo posted:

People use FB Chat and Trillian does FB Chat.

imo.im also does FB chat now, too. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

imo.im also does FB chat now, too. :ssh:

but imo.im doesn't use C2DM does it?

• Locked thread