Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I really like Brinnie's casual clothes. Also, Donny and Eglamore have their shirts unbuttoned with collars popped. Antimony's dad has his shirt all buttoned up.

edit: Tea-san: if you hit the Archives button the chapter list only goes up to 23, while the chapter list under the comic goes to 35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

Mr. Vile posted:

Also, do we know what Bugsy was when she lived in the forest? The name would seem to indicate that she was a bug of some sort, but going by her behavior I'm guessing she was a dormouse.

Only the boys were animals when they were in the forest. All the girls were fairies.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The fact that Anthony and Surma have a kid together just seems stranger and stranger, particularly when you take into account that the two of them seem to lose contact with the rest of the group during Antimony's childhood. That's going to be an interesting chapter to read, though not necessarily a fun one.

This being said, I'm liking Anthony a lot more after these few pages. I'm reading him as a perfectly decent human being who gets overwhelmed by his emotions, and shuts down as a result. This would at least partially explain his behavior toward Annie in the hospital flashback.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

The Walker posted:

This being said, I'm liking Anthony a lot more after these few pages. I'm reading him as a perfectly decent human being who gets overwhelmed by his emotions, and shuts down as a result. This would at least partially explain his behavior toward Annie in the hospital flashback.

I really like the sense of irony in that Annie gets frustrated with him due to his emotionless stature and shuts down, but it turns out he was, and seemingly still is, the same way.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Note to Self posted:

Only the boys were animals when they were in the forest. All the girls were fairies.

Patently not true since one of the girls used to be a badger.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Guitar_Hero posted:

No, that one was a guy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Walker posted:

The fact that Anthony and Surma have a kid together just seems stranger and stranger, particularly when you take into account that the two of them seem to lose contact with the rest of the group during Antimony's childhood. That's going to be an interesting chapter to read, though not necessarily a fun one.

I don't know that they lost contact, did they? Or at least that Surma did. It's just that she was hospital-bound and they were court-bound. Maybe they were on the phone all the time.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 21, 2012

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

I don't know that they lost contact, did they? Or at least that Surma did. It's just that she was hospital-bound and they were court-bound. Maybe they were on the phone all the time.

Few people seem to have known she was with Anthony. More than that, I don't recall a single person that knew of Annie's existence prior to the comic beginning. A daughter seems like something a person would mention to friends.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Walker posted:

Few people seem to have known she was with Anthony. More than that, I don't recall a single person that knew of Annie's existence prior to the comic beginning. A daughter seems like something a person would mention to friends.

We have no reason to believe that the gang didn't know these things, do we?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

We have no reason to believe that the gang didn't know these things, do we?

We know that Anja cried when she saw Annie's name on the class enrollment sheet. It seemed to me a combination of shock and grief. It's possible that she knew it was coming, but I interpreted that strip as her finding out that her friend was dead. It is a bit ambiguous, I will admit.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

1stGear posted:

Still kinda favoring Tony here. I mean, yeah, she's slathering herself over tables for him now, but next Wednesday she'll be demanding he die in glorious battle and earn his place in Valhalla. Valkyries are high-maintenance girlfriends.

Is Brinnie a Valkyrie?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

The Walker posted:

We know that Anja cried when she saw Annie's name on the class enrollment sheet. It seemed to me a combination of shock and grief. It's possible that she knew it was coming, but I interpreted that strip as her finding out that her friend was dead. It is a bit ambiguous, I will admit.

I interpreted it as Anja finding out that Surma had finally passed away, but not that it was the first time that she found out about Annie.

Also, Have there really been any indication that those close to Surma And Anthony didn't know about Annie before she came to the court? Those who have expressed surprise about her have been Coyote and Reynardine, afaik.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

The Walker posted:

I don't recall that we've read anything about them getting together during school and plenty of total prats as children grow out of it as adults. Though with Anthony Carver it looks like he may have just grown into an entire different type of prat.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kanthulhu posted:

Is Brinnie a Valkyrie?

Yeah, Tom mentioned in a formspring post somewhere. The Valkyrie Brynhildr, kicked out of Valhalla for lipping off to Odin or something like that.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

Guitar_Hero posted:

The girl listed in the character guide as "Him Too," you mean?

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Tom really likes ending his page updates with a magical sound effect, doesn't he?

ZAM!

FZZAK!

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Phy posted:

Yeah, Tom mentioned in a formspring post somewhere. The Valkyrie Brynhildr, kicked out of Valhalla for lipping off to Odin or something like that.

You're meant to be able to guess this, apparently, because the magic symbol she uses is a unicursal valknut which is an old norse signal.

Went right over my head, but somebody spotted it and said "hey Tom does that make Brinnie Brynhildr then?" and he said "Yep".

It's one of those things that seems only to be intended as an Easter Egg for those really up on their norse mythology rather than actually relevant but people keep mentioning it anyway just cos it's kind of cool.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I hope he mentions it on the comic when we eventually learn more about Brinnie because I would never have guessed.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
Oh jeez, this page brings back bad memories from teenager-hood. Mostly because I did the exact same thing. :blush: Almost twice actually, but luckily I had friends who didn't take no for an answer the second time.

The thing you may not realize is that Anthony probably feels pretty horrible right now. Which of course leads to cutting yourself off even more, which leads to other situations like this. And it's pretty much impossible to get yourself out of this cycle alone, even if you want to. It just gets easier to make excuses again and again. So this actually makes me like Anthony a little better and the rest of the gang a little less. I'm superglad my friends didn't just let me make excuses and walk away, so it sucks to see his friends give up so easily.

Of course, there could be more to the story come next page, so it might swing my opinion back the other way.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Alkanos posted:

Oh jeez, this page brings back bad memories from teenager-hood. Mostly because I did the exact same thing. :blush: Almost twice actually, but luckily I had friends who didn't take no for an answer the second time.

The thing you may not realize is that Anthony probably feels pretty horrible right now. Which of course leads to cutting yourself off even more, which leads to other situations like this. And it's pretty much impossible to get yourself out of this cycle alone, even if you want to. It just gets easier to make excuses again and again. So this actually makes me like Anthony a little better and the rest of the gang a little less. I'm superglad my friends didn't just let me make excuses and walk away, so it sucks to see his friends give up so easily.

Of course, there could be more to the story come next page, so it might swing my opinion back the other way.

This is all understandable and cause for pity when he's a kid utterly unable to deal with romantic advances, but when it leads him to abandon his daughter for years just after the death of her mother, then he becomes a disgusting coward.

So to restate:

Bad Tony. Worst Dad.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I just want to say that I love all the faces in the second-to-last panel.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Oh Tony, you a cold man. Brinnie's look at the second to last panel could kill; if Anthony ever bothered to look her in the eye. :v:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

A big flaming stink posted:

This is all understandable and cause for pity when he's a kid utterly unable to deal with romantic advances, but when it leads him to abandon his daughter for years just after the death of her mother, then he becomes a disgusting coward.

So to restate:

Bad Tony. Worst Dad.

It seemed apparent to me in the hospital scene that Anthony cared very deeply for Surma. This in turn implies that he has grown quite a bit as a human being- I don't think the youthful Anthony we see now would be able to deal with his own feelings well enough to actually enter a relationship (Were Anthony and Surma married? That seems like an important detail and I can't recall anything definite either way).

What I'm getting at is that there remains the possibility that he has what he sees as a very good reason for bailing on Annie like he has. There are several theories floating around this thread that seem reasonably likely. It's also possible that Anthony realized he was not in a mental state fit for taking care of a child and tried to do something resembling the "right" thing by leaving Annie in a place he knows she'll be surrounded by people he views (viewed?) as friends who will take care of her.

Ultimately we just don't know yet. The only thing I've gather for certain from this chapter is that Anthony is going to be fascinating character in his own right

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I would like to bring up virtually the only other bit of info we have on younger Anthony: He used to disappear for months without telling anyone and they couldn't find him then either. I used to wonder whether this was some etheric nonsense or him just being a weirdo. Perhaps it will be relevant soon.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Revolver Bunker posted:

Oh Tony, you a cold man. Brinnie's look at the second to last panel could kill; if Anthony ever bothered to look her in the eye. :v:

I love all of Brinnie's body language in the past couple of strips. We're told what she's communicating with it, but you could easily tell without the explanation as well.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

The Walker posted:

It seemed apparent to me in the hospital scene that Anthony cared very deeply for Surma. This in turn implies that he has grown quite a bit as a human being- I don't think the youthful Anthony we see now would be able to deal with his own feelings well enough to actually enter a relationship (Were Anthony and Surma married? That seems like an important detail and I can't recall anything definite either way).
We don't knoy anything about Surma and Anthony's relationship except that he obviously was distraught when Surma got sick, and at some point they conceived Annie and were married before she was born. Everything else is a mystery, but I have ahunch that Annie's birth wasn't anything even close to what you'd call planned, and Surma never let on what would happen to her when she had a child to Anthony, probably until she got sick.

At this point I'm thinking that Anthony wasn't around a lot when Annie was younger, that she resents him for not being there when her and Surma were in the hospital. But she can't quite vocalize why she feels that way because she's a barely a teenager and kind of emotionally stunted due to the environment she grew up in. So she acts detached and tries to stay in control and gets surprised when she realizes she's digging her nails into her palms because she's clenching her fists so hard.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 22, 2012

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Man I am just loving Brinnie's outfits in this, alongside everything that everybody else has praised. Valkyries are pretty fashionable, it seems.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

We don't knoy anything about Surma and Anthony's relationship except that he obviously was distraught when Surma got sick, and at some point they conceived Annie and were married before she was born. Everything else is a mystery, but I have ahunch that Annie's birth wasn't anything even close to what you'd call planned, and Surma never let on what would happen to her when she had a child to Anthony, probably until she got sick.

Renard said he knew. He said they all did. I still think he thought he could cure it, that he could have a daughter and wife both, and the flashback where he's so distraught is him realising that he can't. Though I admit that's just a theory.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

At this point I'm thinking that Anthony wasn't around a lot when Annie was younger, that she resents him for not being there when her and Surma were in the hospital. But she can't quite vocalize why she feels that way because she's a barely a teenager and kind of emotionally stunted due to the environment she grew up in. So she acts detached and tries to stay in control and gets surprised when she realizes she's digging her nails into her palms because she's clenching her fists so hard..

I think he was there in the hospital wasn't he? He worked as a Doctor there.

It's worth remembering that Annie didn't seem to realise that when she went to Gunnerkrigg that meant that she would be estranged from her father. As soon as she gets injured, back in the third chapter, the first thing is to ring her father to let him know she was alright, so they obviously had some kind of relationship even if she was closer to her mother. And then she gets told by the hopsital that he's quit, and that nobody from either then or the court can contact him but that he's taken care of her financially. That's when she does the "he must think I'm horrible" thing abandoned children always do and even then she still wastes an entire summer waiting for him to turn up.

Which is horrible and you can see why she reacts so badly to his phone call.

But the fact that this kind of behaviour surprises and effects her does show that he didn't treat her as badly as this while Surma was still actually around (in fact the argument she has with Rynardine in Fire Spike seems to indicate she idolised him to some extent).

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011
All of this speculation on Tony and Surma's relationship is wonderful and I love it. But also, hey look, Eglamore got a haircut! Nice haircut, Eglamore!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Ahahaha this is kinda painful to watch. Oh Anthony.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Note to Self posted:

The girl listed in the character guide as "Him Too," you mean?

Ok fine I suck and am bad and I should have double-checked before posting :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lord of Laughton posted:

Tom really likes ending his page updates with a magical sound effect, doesn't he?

ZAM!

FZZAK!

He's consistent about it too. Brinne goes ZAM, Donald goes FZZAK.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

Guitar_Hero posted:

Ok fine I suck and am bad and I should have double-checked before posting :(

Hey, I thought he was a girl too, at first.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Donald goes FZZAK.

I don't know how many times this page has been linked, or will be linked, but it's never enough. Donald looks like such the badass in this.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Cestrian posted:

Renard said he knew. He said they all did. I still think he thought he could cure it, that he could have a daughter and wife both, and the flashback where he's so distraught is him realising that he can't. Though I admit that's just a theory.

I'm inclined to agree. I get the feeling that, had they not done whatever it is they did, Surma would have died at Annie's birth, and they'd have never known each other. But whatever treatment they were using eventually stopped working.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'd agree that Anthony was trying to have his cake and eat it too. Surma was probably as well, although she seems to have grown more accepting of her fate later on (as the fire was drained out of her?)

I think what happened is the normal thing that happens with her family, and that they weren't able to prevent it. I imagine we'll find out more about what Anthony was up to, though, perhaps even soon!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I got my shirt today. It looks nice. :3:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

VanSandman posted:

I got my shirt today. It looks nice. :3:

I did too! It is an excellent shirt.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know the first ghost Annie took to the beyond was a kid who played with fire. Didn't she have to do that with her mom too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Annie merely helped the kid decide which grim reaper to go with. None of them came for Surma.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 23, 2012