Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

Holy poo poo, don't do this.

Pick up the drat pot and it will cool down immediately. Then put it half-on, half-off the burner and it won't soak up so much heat.
:doh: seems so obvious now. Thanks, I'll try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

ejstheman posted:

I got some onions and potatoes on sale last week, foolishly forgetting that I was going on a trip from tomorrow until Tuesday. Is there some casserole or something that I can use to soak them all up? I've got 3lbs of onions and 9lbs of potatoes. I have to burn through some milk also, so I was thinking of making a roux and then cheese sauce from that, and then making some kind of baked onion/potato casserole. Basically, substituting potato for pasta in macaroni and cheese.

My mac and cheese recipe bakes at 350 for 25 minutes, but baked potatoes go at that temperature for an hour and change, so I'm thinking of pre-baking the potatoes for 35 minutes, and then adding the onions and cheese sauce and baking for another 25. Does that sound reasonable to the people who actually understand cooking? Any other ideas?

You know onions and potatoes will stay good for like, weeks, right?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
When I go to the Asian grocer for stuff, I always browse the veggies but the labels are all in Vietnamese, so unless I can recognize them clearly, I'm lost. Seeing as I can't read Vietnamese, I'm trying to find a way to identify the veggies, especially if I'm in the store.

Ideas? I sometimes ask the employees, but they're woefully understaffed and not all of them know the English names.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

CuddleChunks posted:

Trying to cool it down rapidly can do Very Bad Things to the element.

Specifically, the glass can explode catastrophically, as in it will travel as much as 20 feet. Ask me how I know.

For your issue, get an all-metal wire trivet (rounded wire so it can't scrape up the glass) for putting between the pot and the element. Lift the pot and put that underneath until the element cools a bit.

Alternatively, just get in the habit of pulling your pots and pans halfway off the burner and rotating them often so they continue to heat evenly while you wait for conditions to become ideal (don't leave pot handles overtop of a hot element).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

When I go to the Asian grocer for stuff, I always browse the veggies but the labels are all in Vietnamese, so unless I can recognize them clearly, I'm lost. Seeing as I can't read Vietnamese, I'm trying to find a way to identify the veggies, especially if I'm in the store.

Ideas? I sometimes ask the employees, but they're woefully understaffed and not all of them know the English names.

Buy one of each, take a picture, and post them? That way you get to try delicious new vegetables.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Google Goggles will do it if you have a smartphone.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Both of those are good ideas. Thanks!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I think I need an iron chef CSA box edition.

What is this other than phallic?

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 22, 2012

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Daikon?

Maybe a mummified baguette.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
My friend is going to go shoot some wild pigs (hopefully) this weekend and asked if I wanted some meat.

What parts do I want?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

Table-breaking huge for one thing.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Chard posted:

Table-breaking huge for one thing.

See my user name.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

I think I need an iron chef CSA box edition.

looks like daikon.

razz posted:

My friend is going to go shoot some wild pigs (hopefully) this weekend and asked if I wanted some meat.

What parts do I want?

the nice thing about pig is that every part of it is delicious. It depends on what you want to do. Sausages? Shoulder meat. Bacon, pancetta? Belly. Guanciale, flavorful braises? Cheeks, jowl. You can also make aspics, stocks, etc with the neckbones and the hocks. You can make pate from the liver. Slice the heart thin and grill hot and fast with some sea salt and sesame oil. Make the most delicious trippa alla romana ever. Ribs, well, make ribs. Loin and tenderloin are quite possibly the most boring cuts of this animal, and your friend will probably want dibs, so let him have em. Other parts? well you can make sisig, or andouillette if you're brave. If he feels like the effort of saving it, you can make dinuguan and/or boudin noir from the blood.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

ejstheman posted:

I have to burn through some milk also, so I was thinking of making a roux and then cheese sauce from that, and then making some kind of baked onion/potato casserole. Basically, substituting potato for pasta in macaroni and cheese.

This is exactly what potatoes au gratin is. Most recipes don't seem to mention onions but I've always had them included, I'm sure you could find/make a recipe that works with what you have.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hydrolith posted:

Well, take cooking rice. I turn it up to get the water boiling, then I need to turn it down and simmer it. It's electric, so it takes a good few minutes to cool down, in the meantime I still need the rice simmering. I can't take it off and I can't leave it on or it'll just boil the hell out of it. Only alternative I've come up with is to use two hotplates at once, a big one to boil it and a smaller one to simmer. Except I keep getting the setting wrong on the smaller hotplate and making it too hot as well, so I end up with the same problem. Hence the water to cool the hotplate.

Rice is not so finicky that it will be ruined by the few extra moments at high temperature. Electric isn't as good at temperature change as gas, but these aren't cast-iron burners we're talking about – you can go from high to low in 30 seconds.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Kenning posted:

Rice is not so finicky that it will be ruined by the few extra moments at high temperature. Electric isn't as good at temperature change as gas, but these aren't cast-iron burners we're talking about – you can go from high to low in 30 seconds.
I'm more worried about losing too much water due to it boiling off too rapidly. I use the absorption method rather than the drain-it-off method.

I think my particular system takes longer than 30 secs to cool. That said, I haven't actually timed it...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You're boiling away, like, less than a teaspoon of water. Your rice will be fine.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I have a quick question, does anyone happen to know the best places to get food in Fresno, California? Any hole-in-the-wall places, or general best food. The type of food is negotiable, I don't know what I want quite yet.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

I have a quick question, does anyone happen to know the best places to get food in Fresno, California? Any hole-in-the-wall places, or general best food. The type of food is negotiable, I don't know what I want quite yet.

My understanding from my sister-in-law (who lives there) is that the majority of the good non-chain places in Fresno/Clovis have gone under :( The economy there is worse than most.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
Has anyone else regrown storebought chives in a glass of water? It works like magic, but after a few weeks with regular water changes, the roots were soggy and falling apart. Is this only a temporary technique? I was under the impression that you could keep them indefinitely.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

It's so hot, and our apartment has crap air circulation. The vent over the stove/oven is similarly crap. What do you guys make when it's too hot to turn on the stove? I'm hoping for ideas beyond my default salad, pasta salad, noodle salad.....

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

squigadoo posted:

It's so hot, and our apartment has crap air circulation. The vent over the stove/oven is similarly crap. What do you guys make when it's too hot to turn on the stove? I'm hoping for ideas beyond my default salad, pasta salad, noodle salad.....

Sandwiches

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Delivery

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Virginia Hams.

Seriously, though, crock pot food. Good crock pots are insulated as gently caress, which benefits a too-hot apartment as much as it does the food. Make things on the weekend that will be delicious served cold all week.

Cold sweet BBQ pulled pork on kaiser rolls with lettuce, a slab of aged cheddar and horseradish mayo for example. :allears:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

squigadoo posted:

Traditional greek salad (horiatiki) with extra ripe tomatos, drizzle generously with olive oil

Buy a french bread, eat the salad and dip the bread into the tomato juice/olive oil/feta/spices mix on the bottom

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I love eating kovbassa/garlic sausage/whatever cured meat with cheese and nice bread on a hot day. With a light salad, or just chopped up raw veggies. Its kind of finger food, but I like putting together a little open faced sandwich which is slightly different each time.

I also eat that for breakfast often, because I get tired/grossed out by eggs every so often. Nice and quick.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Cowcatcher posted:

Traditional greek salad (horiatiki) with extra ripe tomatos, drizzle generously with olive oil

Buy a french bread, eat the salad and dip the bread into the tomato juice/olive oil/feta/spices mix on the bottom

This, or charcuterie and paté with baguettes, and get drunk off some red wine. Pretend you're in southern France :france:
Works with the heat as well.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

squigadoo posted:

Street tacos.

or Balut.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Darval posted:

This, or charcuterie and paté with baguettes, and get drunk off some red wine. Pretend you're in southern France :france:
Works with the heat as well.

Du pain, du vin, du Boursin

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

GrAviTy84 posted:

looks like daikon.

the nice thing about pig is that every part of it is delicious. It depends on what you want to do. Sausages? Shoulder meat. Bacon, pancetta? Belly. Guanciale, flavorful braises? Cheeks, jowl. You can also make aspics, stocks, etc with the neckbones and the hocks. You can make pate from the liver. Slice the heart thin and grill hot and fast with some sea salt and sesame oil. Make the most delicious trippa alla romana ever. Ribs, well, make ribs. Loin and tenderloin are quite possibly the most boring cuts of this animal, and your friend will probably want dibs, so let him have em. Other parts? well you can make sisig, or andouillette if you're brave. If he feels like the effort of saving it, you can make dinuguan and/or boudin noir from the blood.

Excellent. So basically tell him "give me the parts that nobody else wants".

I doubt there will be any saving of the internal organs or blood, as they'll be out in the bush and likely will field-dress the animals on the spot. I want some cheeks and jowls so bad though. Will be requesting those.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Has anyone else regrown storebought chives in a glass of water? It works like magic, but after a few weeks with regular water changes, the roots were soggy and falling apart. Is this only a temporary technique? I was under the impression that you could keep them indefinitely.

I have never seen storebought chives with roots. Are you sure you aren't confusing them with green onions like some other poster I saw recently?

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Drink and Fight posted:

I have never seen storebought chives with roots. Are you sure you aren't confusing them with green onions like some other poster I saw recently?

Yes, I did. I am an idiot, but my question still stands.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

razz posted:

Excellent. So basically tell him "give me the parts that nobody else wants".

I doubt there will be any saving of the internal organs or blood, as they'll be out in the bush and likely will field-dress the animals on the spot. I want some cheeks and jowls so bad though. Will be requesting those.

Whatever you do with it, make sure you cook the hell out of it, not just because of parasites but also wild game tends to be tough

I made slow roasted boar shoulder recently, if you get a nice fatty or marbled part tie it up with string and cook at 225 for 4-5 hours

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Buy one of each, take a picture, and post them? That way you get to try delicious new vegetables.
I can't buy one of each, because they pack them at the grocery, but here's one item from the haul.

What is that, and how do I cook it?

EDIT: what should I do with enoki mushrooms?

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 22, 2012

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Yes, I did. I am an idiot, but my question still stands.

So that leads to the question, why are you trying to keep green onions for weeks and weeks? If you're trying to actually grow them like that for some reason, you would have to put them in dirt after a bit.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I can't buy one of each, because they pack them at the grocery, but here's one item from the haul.

Kerala. A type of bitter melon. Cut it salt it sauté it.

quote:

Eat them

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Cowcatcher posted:

Du pain, du vin, du Boursin

Oh hell yes.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Hell, one of my favorite meals is a baguette with some cultured butter. Or fresh butter. Or a bar of chocolate.

gently caress me, I love bread.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

That, my friend, is bitter gourd. And holy gently caress is it bitter as all get-out. It's called Karela in Hindi. Split it in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds. They're pretty bitter as hell too. Slice it into 2 cm pieces. Salt them well, and let it sit for half an hour. Then, wash off the salt, and rinse the karela in plenty of cold running water. This will reduce the bitterness.

In a skillet, heat some fat (peanut, canola, corn, whatever). Add in about 2 tsp of cumin seeds. They will pop and crackle, and smell amazing. Add in a medium onion (diced), and as much green chilie as you can take. Add some salt, and turmeric (if you have it). Sautee until the onions are just softened. Add the sliced karela, and stir-fry until it's tender. Turn off the heat, and stir through some tamarind paste, and a pinch or two of sugar. Just a tiny bit, no more.

Then, eat it in small doses with whatever other stuff you're eating. For bonus points, add in lots of freshly grated coconut towards the end of cooking, and stir through.

dino. fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Drink and Fight posted:

So that leads to the question, why are you trying to keep green onions for weeks and weeks? If you're trying to actually grow them like that for some reason, you would have to put them in dirt after a bit.

Because I like fried rice every day. That was my question, whether I could indefinitely grow them in a cup of water or eventually have to plant. I obviously need to do some reading on growing plants... Thanks!