Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Sparky LaRussims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

AlleyViper posted:

Obviously-going-first-overall.png

Yeah look who's in the majors

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Reminder that this is still the same season he was drafted.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

lol he's playing him at short

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

AV, why in the world are you playing Jason Varitek in RF in the goonrush OL?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

toadee posted:

AV, why in the world are you playing Jason Varitek in RF in the goonrush OL?

Take a look at my 2B, 3B and SS now.

e: also my team name.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Right but I don't get it, they don't hit especially well, and you could certainly do worse than them at the positions with better hitting.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm just testing how guys do out of position.

jeff has used Beltran at 3B before, I wanted more data on him.

Varitek is A/A+, won't find much better of a fielder for a catcher so if he can't hack it in the OF no catcher can.

Reese and McMillan are identical A-/A+'s so I'm swapping their positions to see how they fare.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Ah, I see then. Carry on!

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
do not play jose bautista at ss, that experiment did not go well

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This is how the season ended :stare:

Finished with the 3 seed and my best HBD regular season record to date.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So i'm still trying to decide which champs and chumps team I should use. The 67 champs with Yaz, Killerbrew, Freehan, and Not Bad pitching or the 68 champs with Gibson, Gaylord, and Marichal and some Not Bad hitting.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I think I have my optimal team worked out, but I have $2m left over that I just can't figure out how to effectively spend.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This team would hit a shitload of dingers, but i'm just not sure the pitching is good enough. It's the other way around with the Gibby, Gaylord, and Marichal team.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
I made a twitter list of SA WiS players let me know if you want to be added to it.

The list is called SA_WiS.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
My first season ever finished (the OL team with the terrible bullpen that I posted asking about a while ago) and somehow I think I made the playoffs as wildcard. Are there any playoff-specific strategies I should be considering (I vaguely remember reading about using only 2 starters, which would I think work well for me)? I suspect I'm going to struggle because I don't have a catcher who can throw.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

foolish_fool posted:

My first season ever finished (the OL team with the terrible bullpen that I posted asking about a while ago) and somehow I think I made the playoffs as wildcard. Are there any playoff-specific strategies I should be considering (I vaguely remember reading about using only 2 starters, which would I think work well for me)? I suspect I'm going to struggle because I don't have a catcher who can throw.

1. If you have any low-IP guys who can start and own, do so! This is mostly about Bob Milacki but if you have some similar dudes, don't be afraid to start them.
2. Catchers that can't throw are a hindrance in open leagues. However, if you've made the playoffs, it's probably not that big a deal.
3. Start with as few good starters as you can get away with. Sometimes this is your rotation -1, and sometimes it's your rotation just straight up, and sometimes it's players in your bullpen who have the IP/G to start.
4. Don't take it too seriously, because then you get mad, and mad WiS is no fun.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Bob Milacki. WIS legend.

Still nearly 2 years younger than Jamie Moyer.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

That story on the WiS forums about a guy taking his kid to see Bob Milacki and let him know that people still remembered who he was was heartwarming

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

"remember who he was"

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Thanks. I don't think there is much chance of me getting mad about what happens, mainly I think it is hilarious that I got this far on blind luck (including picking up 89 Howard Johnson on waivers mid-season and thus accidentally turning my team into an effective offense).

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

If anyone wants to do champs and chumps golden age, Big T has posted it in he forums.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

4. Don't take it too seriously, because then you get mad, and mad WiS is no fun.

gently caress you all I hate this game

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?ForumID=1&TopicID=453277

WiS is giving away prizes for playing Fox's Hot Streak game. I don't know whether this game is new or I just never played it but I signed up.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Double postin'

I know we're all working on getting our own private HBD league set up, but is anyone interested in joining AV and I in Hometown for season 19?

AV's Sacramento FreshMakers are the current AL West champs in our second season in the league and he's currently in the ALDS.

My New York (Shea) Vinnies are a bunch of underachieving assholes who didn't hit all season. I finished 2nd in the NL East at 80-82 after a firesale.

I talked to the commish and I know that at least one franchise is coming open. This NL West franchise here. If you were to take this franchise you'd only have two guys on contract for next season with 11 arb eligible. So you're working with a pretty blank slate if you want to.

His AAA and AA teams were both in the playoffs and the AAA team actually just beat me for the NL pennant. There's not a whole lot of great prospects down there but his minors are solid and there's a couple guys you could call up if needed.

There may be some more teams dropping out as the season winds down but this is the only one for sure. We only had 3 teams turn over for this season and the world rolls pretty quickly. Come join us!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Is Sparky incapable of shifting a player's position on the field when making defensive substitutions? I have two guys who are SS capable on my Hometown team, one is normally a bench substitute. My starting CF got hurt for a few days so I shifted my starting SS to CF and put Gibson in at SS. Of course, in game 4 of the ALDS down 2-1, Gibson gets ejected and Sparky puts Paulie Long in at SS, who isn't even on my SS hierarchy. He makes two errors as I get knocked out of the playoffs.

Obviously the optimal choice would have been to move Lopez out of CF back to SS and put Long or someone else in CF but of course that didn't happen. Can Sparky not even handle that? Is there nothing else that could have been done there without another SS eligible player on the bench?

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 29, 2012

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

AlleyViper posted:

Is Sparky incapable of shifting a player's position on the field when making defensive substitutions?

Yep. It's something they keep saying they're going to add but never do.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Welp, guess I'm going to have to carry an extra utility fielder on the 0.01% chance my CF gets hurt and my SS gets ejected in a series clinching playoff game. :sigh:

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
17 of Virgil Lewis's last 40 hits have been home runs. All coming in the last game month.

God daaaaamn I wish I had this guy in Dimaggio.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
My dimaggio pitching with my greenwell offense would win 115 games. Both teams will actually probably miss the playoffs.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Moose gets me my first no no in Random Captain

http://whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=17196901&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

If anyone wants to do champs and chumps golden age, Big T has posted it in he forums.

I got two free teams to burn, so I might as well jump in on this.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I need some brutally honest SLB help. I want to get better and I feel like I'm just burning money at this point. I'm planning to buy another six pack for goon league/random captain/open league rushes but if I'm just going to suck eternally that money is better spent on strippers.

I'm generally pretty good at building offense, but that might mean I'm spending too much money on it. I'm getting a little better at bullpens since AV set me straight on pitch counts. My rotations are always terrible. I don't know if I'm looking at the wrong stats or what.

We're going to take my current random captain team as the example since that's the only team I have active right now. Also because I really thought this team would be good. I got a bad division draw with the best team in the whole league sitting on top of me, but I'm also 13 out of the wild card which is unacceptable.

My random captain is Jose Mesa (87, 90-92 BAL; 92-98 CLE; 98 SF; 99-00 SEA; 01-03 PHI; 04-05 PIT; 06 COL; 07 PHI; 07 DET)
I'm playing in Baltimore Memorial Stadium (-1, 0, -2, 0, 0). 63-73; 721 runs scored; 728 runs allowed

My offense isn't really a problem unless I've been spending too much money on them. I have a .351 team OBP (2nd in league by .001) and a .442 team SLG (3rd in league behind .443 and .450). I'm playing in a slight pitcher's park so I probably have the best park adjusted offense in the league.

My bullpen is fine as well. They're even pretty good since I got the memo that I was stretching every single one of them about 5 pitches too far.

My starting rotation just sucks. Moose is the only acceptable one and he's not pitching like a #1 by far. When I was building this team I had a lot of trouble finding starters so I figured that would be the weak point of the team. I didn't think they would be this bad.

TPC/MPC Pull ratings:
'96 Nagy 95/105 1
'94 Martinez 95/105 1
'02 Wolf 80/90 3
'92 Moose 90/100 1

The pull ratings on these guys are all pretty low because while my 'pen is good, it doesn't have a ton of stamina. So where did I go horribly wrong? One playoff appearance in eight leagues just isn't a good enough ratio for me and I need to improve if I'm going to keep this up.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
The problem with Random Captain is that it's so dependent on your draw. That rotation blows, but it's probably the best one available to you, with some other equally unpleasant options like '07 Hamels and '04 Oliver Perez. So when you have a situation like that, you need a killer offense, especially for the money you sunk in (you have the most expensive offense in the league). I don't know what your shortstop options are like, but I probably wouldn't have used A-Rod, and used the extra money to upgrade Manny. But really, it seems like you've been hosed by a bad draw and some bad luck.

e: I think that with Perez instead of Wolf, a slightly less expensive offense with the extra money going into a bigger bullpen (so you don't need to rely on the starters as much), and some better luck (I mean your pythag is .500 right now), you'd be in the wild card mix.

Bob Shabazz fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 1, 2012

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Yeah I'm piecing together a rotation with those years and a) it's all really awful and b) I think the only dude I'd switch in would be mmmmmaybe 1999 Jamie Moyer instead of Nagy? But that's not even an upgrade really, it's just "I want to use Jamie Moyer and this pitching staff is going to be bad anyway"

Also I would've tried to swing Albert Belle in there somewhere, but again I don't know if there's too much to do with that team. Really poo poo draw, pitching-wise, and it's really hard to overcome something like that.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Well that's making me feel a little better at least. I'll defend the A-Rod pick because most of the other SS options are really bad. But on the other hand the A-Rod money did cost me Albert Belle or '07 Magglio.

Guess I'll just keep plugging away and hopefully something sticks sooner or later.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Since you asked about how to draft pitching, here's how I do it:

ERC#: this is the big one. It's basically a "how good is this pitcher" number and it's what I always sort my pitcher searches by.
HR/9#, BB/9#, OAV#: these are the individual ERC# components. It's good to look at them in isolation, though, so that you can weight one over the other depending on league composition/park/etc.
$/IP: Always an important consideration. One you have $X set aside for a pitching staff, figure out how much per inning that means you can spend, and try to make it balance out.
ERA#: Some people think this does nothing, but after a couple experiments ('03 Paul Quantrill), I'm in the camp that it influences non-home run XBH.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

ERC# is not perfect but it's probably the best option for sortable metrics. IMO it undervalues BB/9 and HR/9 and overvalues OAV but it's accurate enough.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

So trying to apply the knowledge I've received today, how does this look for a cookieish OL team? I did the pitching staff first and with the remainder I tried to somewhat recreate my last dinger team. I'd be playing in Yankee Stadium III again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

I know pitching better than I know offense, so I'll skip over the hitters and just look at the pitchers:

- Double Joss is solid but a little bland. They'll do pretty well no matter what the park, and '08 Joss is a fixture of OL Cy Young awards.

- Milacki is good but not on a staff with that low number of innings. Really he's best for busting out during a pennant race for a spot start or in the playoffs if you are a giant rear end in a top hat.

- Bernhard is a real good pick. What I'd do is exactly what you did - have a high IP reliever that can start in Deacon Phillippe if he ever dips below 100%.

- Overall though, that bullpen is seriously light on innings and quality. It's like you made an offense and a starting staff and then jammed the rest of the bullpen in on like $5m. 1250 good IP isn't crazy low but it's low enough and with few enough pitchers that I'd be worried about running out of dudes to throw base balls. I know I said I liked Deacon Phillippe but he is basically your entire bullpen and you won't have him available to spot start if he's your only healthy bullpen guy.

My suggestions would be revamp the pen a little, drop Milacki for someone cheaper who can throw more innings, and grab like a 1908 Elmer Steele for your long man/spot starter.

• Locked thread