Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchy Smurf
Mar 12, 2012

"Interesting Quote"
-Interesting guy
Most expensive I have tried is the TNP, at 35£ (~55 USD?). Can't say I was that impressed.
The high ABV is undone by the ridiculous price. You can't drink a single beer, can you?

The best beer, in my opinion, is the Mikkeller Barrel Aged George. Still on the expensive side at ~10 USD a pop, but very unique taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Indiana goons, I'm going to South Bend for a wedding there this weekend, any breweries/bars in or around that area that I should definitely hit up? Most of the big breweries (3F, Bell's, Jolly Pumpkin) are too far away to justify driving a rental car to, but anything close would be great.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Anyone else had the new Funkwerks bomber, Brett Dream?

I've heard of "horse blanket" and all that, but to me this beer literally smelled like horse poo poo. Super gross. It tasted ok, but definitely the worst beer I've had from 'em.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Kosher man posted:

When I was first interviewing for jobs and trying to get into the industry I found the worst I dressed the better the chances of a job offer were.

Some friends and I have pipedreams (legitimately may happen...sink or swim) of opening a commercial brewery, and I am looking forward to living life with the beard of my former life. I had to shave it off for EMS. :negative:

I can't wait to go to work in purely utilitarian dress. :3:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Any socal goons here? Me and some peoples are making a run up to Kern River Brewing Co this friday or saturday. One does not simply carpool into Kernville

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I'm on a "canned craft beer is loving great" kick lately, and am glad to learn that my local bottle shop will be getting Deviant Dale's next week. Today I bought some Oskar Blues G'Night and it's as delicious as I remember it being. They're not kidding about it being sticky.

I also learned that the other bottle shop in town has canned Torpedo so I know what I'm drinking this weekend.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Been seeing Deviant Dale's pictures everywhere, but not in New Jersey. I would love to try it, how much is it?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think I actually saw some canned Anderson Valley the other day for the first time. Little green cans.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Mahoning posted:

I think I actually saw some canned Anderson Valley the other day for the first time. Little green cans.

yeah, i think that's their oatmeal stout, which is definitely worth a try.

i know most people here have a fairly low opinion of Southern Tier's 12oz offerings (and reviews are mixed for their 22oz stuff), but i'm pleasantly surprised by their 2xStout, which is a 7.5% milk stout. it's a little sweet, but nothing on the level of Creme Brulee, has a full-but-drinkable body, and has tons of chocolate that are balanced by a good bit of roast and a slightly bitter finish. quite good, but lovely loving lacing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

i know most people here have a fairly low opinion of Southern Tier's 12oz offerings...

Really? I'll take their 2XIPA over all but a handful of other IPAs made. It's awesome and relatively cheap.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

Catch myself paying 10-12 for 4-packs :suicide:

no regrets

Green Flash stuff is worth every penny of the 10 dollar four-pack premium to me. I pick up a four-pack of West Coast IPA and think to myself "Is this worth 50 cents more a bottle than Stone IPA? Yes, yes it is" and walk to the checkout counter, secure in my decision.

edit: I tend to like Southern Tier's 12oz stuff more than their big bottles, which I usually find way too sweet. 2xIPA, Pale, and Phin & Matt's are awesome.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

Midorka posted:

Been seeing Deviant Dale's pictures everywhere, but not in New Jersey. I would love to try it, how much is it?

I got one 16oz can in Manhattan for around $3 at Whole Foods.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Why did it take me so long to try a Gub'na? This poo poo is tasty, and is only the second Oskar Blues offering I've had. Gonna have to track down a six relatively soon.

Speaking of canned beers, I tried a Resin the other day. It's like the McDonald's Sweet Tea of IPAs. If they toned down the sweetness to a more honey-like taste I'd be all over it, but as is it's a mess. On the brighter side, I had a Great Divide Hibernation just after that. What the gently caress. I've had some malty beers, but this one was absolutely dominated by malt. Really wish I could get some around where I live, 'cus I could see myself drinking that on a regular basis.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Gub'na is great. Expensive but great. Try G'Knight, too. It's more of an imperial red, but it was their flagship IPA until Gub'na came out.

Midorka posted:

doesn't matter just buy it and love it as much as I do

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Gubna is so, so, so good. I've never seen an IPA that divides feelings so much. You can plant me fully in the "love it" camp, but there's so many people who hate it as well. You can also expect to pay 15 bucks for a four-pack of it. I'll always pick a pack up though when I know a store just got a new shipment.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Speaking of canned beers, I tried a Resin the other day. It's like the McDonald's Sweet Tea of IPAs. If they toned down the sweetness to a more honey-like taste I'd be all over it, but as is it's a mess.

When was it canned? The first run of Resin was really sweet and sticky, but the second run is a lot more balanced and has a lot of hop presence. I enjoyed both a lot though.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:

Kudosx posted:

Edit: gently caress, of course the last week and a half of the month when I'm broke as hell my local store got in some Sculpin. I've never seen Ballast Point at ANY stores around here, doh! I hope they get some in again sometime...

You follow Warehouse Beverage on facebook too I see.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Midorka posted:

When was it canned? The first run of Resin was really sweet and sticky, but the second run is a lot more balanced and has a lot of hop presence. I enjoyed both a lot though.

Sounds like it might be the first, but the can is long gone so I have no idea. I was very surprised how much beer came out of that tiny little can, though. It's like magic!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Darth Goku Jr posted:

You follow Warehouse Beverage on facebook too I see.

Indeed, they are the ones that got in the Ballast Point. Did you pick any up?

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 22, 2012

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Can't get a beer in the Atlanta Airport til 9am. gently caress this poo poo.

Edit: Charlotte Airport succeeds in getting a beer in my face. Hoegarden because they're out of Sam Adams, it' pretty good and they didn't put fruit in it.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 22, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

deadwing posted:

Gubna is so, so, so good. I've never seen an IPA that divides feelings so much. You can plant me fully in the "love it" camp, but there's so many people who hate it as well. You can also expect to pay 15 bucks for a four-pack of it. I'll always pick a pack up though when I know a store just got a new shipment.

gently caress summit hops

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
speaking of food and beer pairings, some of you might enjoy this article, even though they misspelled "crustacean."

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Paul Proteus posted:

gently caress summit hops

Is that the one that some people's taste buds pick up as onions and garlic

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Wamsutta posted:

Is that the one that some people's taste buds pick up as onions and garlic

Yes, but just because a beer uses summit doesn't mean you'll get onion/garlic.
Green Flash Imperial IPA uses summit along with a bunch of other hops. I don't get onion/garlic out of this beer, its pretty drat delicious.
Oscar Blues Gubna is strictly summit and its also strictly onion, don't care much for it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I've heard people getting a ton of onion out of Deviant Dale's so far. I'm hoping that's not the case for me. I love Dale's so much that I really want to like its big brother.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Had KBS for the first time last night. I'm happy to have had it, and it is a drat good beer, but I'm really not understanding why people would camp out overnight after driving several hours just to get a case of this (trade value excepted). In truth, I enjoyed the Firestone Walker XV that I had right after it a hell of a lot more.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

crazyfish posted:

Had KBS for the first time last night. I'm happy to have had it, and it is a drat good beer, but I'm really not understanding why people would camp out overnight after driving several hours just to get a case of this (trade value excepted). In truth, I enjoyed the Firestone Walker XV that I had right after it a hell of a lot more.

And there it is.

The only thing that makes KBS special is that beer nerds think it's special. Initially, it was one of the first well made and more widely available bourbon barrel stouts, and that made it worth seeking out. now it has caché and people think it's worth something because other people think it's worth something.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer, and worth the purchase price, but not more than that, and not worth the effort that people took to get their allotment.

While I love some of the crazy rare beers, and have had a good chunk of the most sought after "whales" I do disagree with the gotta-catch-em-all mentality.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I don't think any beer is worth camping out for at this point. I've had a lot of highly praised beers from Hopslam, Pliny, and Curmudgeons Better Half and while they were all fantastic beers there's been others I've enjoyed more in the same vein. There's a lot of absolutely astounding beers out there and brewery's just keep getting better and better. I'll give every rare beer a shot once, but I don't think I'll ever hunt Pliny, Black Ops, KBS, etc down again. I'm glad to have tried them but I'm happy with the huge variety of more easily available stuff as well, especially at a lower price point.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

I don't think any beer is worth camping out for at this point. I've had a lot of highly praised beers from Hopslam, Pliny, and Curmudgeons Better Half and while they were all fantastic beers there's been others I've enjoyed more in the same vein. There's a lot of absolutely astounding beers out there and brewery's just keep getting better and better. I'll give every rare beer a shot once, but I don't think I'll ever hunt Pliny, Black Ops, KBS, etc down again. I'm glad to have tried them but I'm happy with the huge variety of more easily available stuff as well, especially at a lower price point.

I agree. I'm past the gather all crazy beer at all costs stage. If I happen to stumble upon KBS at a store I frequent or even if the manager tells me its coming in a specific day, I don't mind going for it. However anything more than that is just too much time and effort when there are a ton of other great options around.

Would I like to try Expo Hoppiness, Black tuesday etc. Absolutely but I'd rather use the money to take a trip out to those places rather than buy a bottle online.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
In addition to the exciting Deviant Dale's tall boys, today at Whole Foods I saw SN Pale ale in canned 12 packs, and even better, 4 packs of 16z Torpedo! At $7, the 4x16oz is actually a better deal than the bottled 6x12oz for $9.49, by about 2c per oz. It's only half a beer less than the six pack, but $2.49 cheaper.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

I still haven't tried KBS but have been given a couple "cellared" ones by a buddy of mine from 2010 and 2011. And, strangely enough, I'm doing a local trade tomorrow for a 4-pack of 2012 where one of the things I'm giving up is a bottle of XV (which I can still find at a couple local shops, as well as on tap at my local beer bar).

I've been to a few releases in the last year or so and I agree that camping out is pretty insane. But I figure people get as much out of the communal aspect than the actual beer. There's usually lots of trading, tasting, etc. Not really worth it for me, but never underestimate the willingness of geeks.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Hey at least going to a beer release makes more sense than going to a video game release, that's just silly.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Midorka posted:

Hey at least going to a beer release makes more sense than going to a video game release, that's just silly.

Drinking a beer: 10-45 mins.

Playing a video game: 10-45 hours.

I can see why people wait for games :)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Munkaboo posted:

Drinking a beer: 10-45 mins.

Playing a video game: 10-45 hours.

I can see why people wait for games :)

Waiting in line for a beer release is actually fun though.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Just found the first bottle of World Wide Stout I ever saw at a shop :neckbeard: The first time I've been excited about buying something from DFH in a while.

They also had XV, but is that worth $22?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Just found the first bottle of World Wide Stout I ever saw at a shop :neckbeard: The first time I've been excited about buying something from DFH in a while.

They also had XV, but is that worth $22?

I wouldn't drink it without a year on it, fresh it's kind of a mess. With a year it's one of the best stouts I've ever had, very wine like.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Corbet posted:

Waiting in line for a beer release is actually fun though.

Not as much when you're flying solo and thus your own DD. At least waiting in line you get to sample crazy stuff people bring for the line.

edit: Also, I'll be buying a bottle of XV as soon as I find a place that has it around here.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bought a tallboy of Deviant Dale's today. Had to take a couple sips from the can just 'cause drinking an 8% IPA from a tallboy is badass but then it went in a glass so I could see and smell it. This is a serious freaking beer, it drinks a bit like the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot I had last week. Really thick, full mouthfeel. There's some caramel sweetness but mostly it's all about the hops. Lots of pine and grapefruit, aggressively bitter. I'm enjoying it but it's not an every day beer, it's a lot to handle.

Not sure how to read their canning dates, but I'd parse "2 02 06" as Feb 6th? So a month and a half old

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Bought a tallboy of Deviant Dale's today. Had to take a couple sips from the can just 'cause drinking an 8% IPA from a tallboy is badass but then it went in a glass so I could see and smell it. This is a serious freaking beer, it drinks a bit like the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot I had last week. Really thick, full mouthfeel. There's some caramel sweetness but mostly it's all about the hops. Lots of pine and grapefruit, aggressively bitter. I'm enjoying it but it's not an every day beer, it's a lot to handle.

Not sure how to read their canning dates, but I'd parse "2 02 06" as Feb 6th? So a month and a half old

It should say in clear English "Canned on XX/XX/XXXX / Funny Slogan Here" on the bottom of the can, unless they're using a different canning line for their 16oz cans or otherwise can't stamp them for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

So it does! 02-24-12, thanks for the tip.