Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
So my boyfriend is a sucker and now we have another baby rat (picked up yesterday). Not named yet. She's not nearly as friend as Folly, though that would be hard to do, but she is quite sweet. Other good news is that both adult rats (Angie and Liza) have gotten a bit more social and cuddly since Patti's passing. Liza, especially, has never been good with people, but she has gotten much, much more friendly outside of the cage.

edit: and, several days later, we've decided on the name Gypsy for her.

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

We finally got our two boys!

Smith:

Wesson:

Smith is really adventurous and loves exploring and learning about things, and Wesson prefers making a little burrow in things and cuddling a lot. :3:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Aw man, those baby rats are incredi-cute.

Beluga Smoothie
Oct 22, 2008
Wesson's whiskers. :3:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
All the cute baby rats up in this page!

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
Not quite two years after we got them, we had to say good bye to our first rat. Joan was always really fat, and it caught up to her in her old age. Her heart was working too hard and she started heaving to breathe yesterday, so we took her to the vet to be put to sleep. Been sobbing on and off since.

I love our rats so much but I don't think we're going to get any more after Trudy and Wrinkles pass on too. It's too drat sad.

Beluga Smoothie
Oct 22, 2008

squidtarts posted:

Not quite two years after we got them, we had to say good bye to our first rat. Joan was always really fat, and it caught up to her in her old age. Her heart was working too hard and she started heaving to breathe yesterday, so we took her to the vet to be put to sleep. Been sobbing on and off since.

I love our rats so much but I don't think we're going to get any more after Trudy and Wrinkles pass on too. It's too drat sad.

I'm sorry to hear that. :( The first is always so hard.. not that it ever gets easy, but you know what I mean. I made that decision a few months ago & am now rat-less. It's sad but yes, dealing with their short lives is hard.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Oh my god my friend just linked me to this site and they have rat AGILITY sets. Tiny rat-sized weave poles and jumps oh my god. SO CUTE.

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
I am taking both my elder rats to be euthanized with a gas tomorrow at a local college who said they would do it at a very low cost. Tonight we are having rat hangout night with as much treats and cuddling as they can handle :) I'm feeling a bit torn though, one rat is pretty far gone, the tumor is big enough that she has to hunch up to not drag it on the ground. The other rat is doing a bit better but the tumor she has on her groin area is very hard and unmoving and fibrous. Am I an awful person for getting them both put down? With the rate it is growing the groin tumor will be bigger than a golf ball in a week or so. Both rats are in pretty good spirits but are tired a lot more than they used to be before they were ill. I just don't want them to be miserable and in pain, I also GISed 'rat tumors' which was a huge loving mistake.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Yarn! posted:

I am taking both my elder rats to be euthanized with a gas tomorrow at a local college who said they would do it at a very low cost. Tonight we are having rat hangout night with as much treats and cuddling as they can handle :) I'm feeling a bit torn though, one rat is pretty far gone, the tumor is big enough that she has to hunch up to not drag it on the ground. The other rat is doing a bit better but the tumor she has on her groin area is very hard and unmoving and fibrous. Am I an awful person for getting them both put down? With the rate it is growing the groin tumor will be bigger than a golf ball in a week or so. Both rats are in pretty good spirits but are tired a lot more than they used to be before they were ill. I just don't want them to be miserable and in pain, I also GISed 'rat tumors' which was a huge loving mistake.

No, I don't think so. I'd rather euth a bit too early than a bit too late and have the rat be in pain. And by letting them go out together you're keeping one from being alone. I think you've made the most compassionate decision. Good luck tomorrow.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Invalid Octopus posted:

No, I don't think so. I'd rather euth a bit too early than a bit too late and have the rat be in pain. And by letting them go out together you're keeping one from being alone. I think you've made the most compassionate decision. Good luck tomorrow.

This is pretty much how I feel, I usually try to euth juuuuust before they tip over into "miserable existence" mode, not after. When I can tell that they've got maybe a day or two before they stop eating or become too sick to comfortably function, that's when I go for it. I've had a lot of people go "OMG BUT HE'S STILL EATING/AWARE/GIVING KISSES HOW COULD YOU" but seeing people hang on to obviously long-gone animals just because they're still capable of sucking in enough air to keep their bodies barely running is heartbreaking. If I had a terminal illness I'd rather go out after a really good day than after days/weeks/months of constant suffering.

On a related note, Bagheera is still hanging in there. The second vet did an x-ray and he had an obstruction that was causing the horrible bowel issues- he basically said what was likely happening was that it was blocking waste in his intestines, then chunks of it would break off, allowing tons of waste to finally pass, then it would get blocked again, etc, repeatedly. He didn't show me the x-ray but he said it looked like he'd eaten a bunch of his cage bedding for some reason. We came to the conclusion that he was most likely too weak to survive surgery and basically gave me enough laxatives to clear out a horse, along with fluids to give subq to replace all that he'd be losing. Really we expected him to crash and die from the laxatives but it was either that or euthanasia at that point so we figured there wasn't much to lose.

TLDR, he spent all of last week crapping his insides out, and there were definitely....things the looked like carefresh/paper bedding involved, along with some strings and fabric. He spent most of it looking like he was about to die, and finally started getting better around Friday. He's off the laxatives and while he's still skinny, he's finally gaining some weight and doesn't look at death's door anymore.

The vet is seeing him again Thursday to see if he's improved enough to resume treating his pneumonia. :sigh: He's been on antihistamines and I've been steaming him in the bathroom to keep him able to breathe, and his gasping panic attacks have been fewer and fewer, but he still needs all the antibiotics in the world. If we can get his respiratory stuff under control now I think he'll make it.

Beluga Smoothie
Oct 22, 2008
I agree with IO & Super, it's definitely best to go out on a high note.

Super, I'm so glad to hear he's on an upswing. :) He sounds like a tenacious little rat. Good for you for doing all this for him.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Invalid Octopus posted:

Oh my god my friend just linked me to this site and they have rat AGILITY sets. Tiny rat-sized weave poles and jumps oh my god. SO CUTE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLaiUZWR00c

I think my hooded rat would absolutely love this (especially if food was involved). I don't think I'm going to be buying the expensive pieces from that site, but I can probably fashion some cheaply and start giving her some agility training.

SO EXCITED.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Trained rats were actually the reason I got my boys - the Virginia Science Museum had a demonstration room upstairs that had rats who had been taught how to play basketball. If they got the ball in the correct hoop for their "team" they got a treat, and had gradually been taught to grab the ball back and forth in order to score. It was fascinating and adorable.

Apparently girls are easier to train for that sort of thing than boys, according to the guy doing the demo. But I imagine a motivated male rat could be taught all sorts of things.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

In my experience, female rats are way easier to train. My females all learned how to "spin," "up" and to come when they were called, and remembered it no matter how long I went between practicing. The boys just piss everywhere and lay around. If you show them a treat but don't give it to them right away (say, because they haven't performed the trick yet) they lose interest almost immediately. Lazy fucks.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Superconsndar posted:

The vet is seeing him again Thursday to see if he's improved enough to resume treating his pneumonia. :sigh: He's been on antihistamines and I've been steaming him in the bathroom to keep him able to breathe, and his gasping panic attacks have been fewer and fewer, but he still needs all the antibiotics in the world. If we can get his respiratory stuff under control now I think he'll make it.
This makes me unreasonably happy. I hope he pulls through. You're awesome.

p.s I heard rats will eat non food items (litter, bedding) when feeling nauseated.

Yarn! posted:

You're not awful at all. I was planning to take both my old boys together at the end of january - one had a tumor and his brother was quite weak and declining. One ended up dying peacefully and a few days later I got my other boy euthed. He would fall asleep every minute or so but was still eating and enjoying hanging out on my bed all the time - and before we left he walked around on the grass outside. Its always horrible thinking they could have more enjoyment left in them, but in the end I am glad I did it before he was in pain or had some horrible crisis with the tumor. And he had a good last day with lots of icecream and snuggles. I know its hard. Internet hugs.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 21, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Got a letter yesterday from the Farley Foundation (assists people in need by subsidizing vet care) saying that our vet had made a donation in memory of Patti. Completely unexpected and very sweet.

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
My girls getting euthanized went as well as it could have. The lab tech who did it was very kind and cuddled them before they went in. It only took about 20 seconds and both rats just curled up in their fleece pocket like they usually do and went to sleep. I felt miserable the day the procedure happened but in retrospect, there wasn't a more pleasant option. On the plus side I bought a nice, gently used, 3 tier cage off craigslist that the young rats I have left will be moving into this weekend.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Angie, then and now:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I went by the petstore to get more bedding and a couple who had to move had put their rat up for adoption. How could I not give him a new home?

He's pretty social, and ok with being handled, which is great. I'm glad I could help a rat out.

He always looks pretty chill. :3: Right now is introductions between him and current rat Neville, so far so good. I'm keeping them in my lap for now, until I know they'll be nice.

Edit: So now they are in separate areas with food, water, and towels to hide in. They spent a good three-four hours together in either my lap or the tub without a single fight, but as soon as I tried to put them in the cage (a much bigger space than my lap!) they immediately started to fight. How common is this and what can I do to get them to actually get along? :( I had totally wiped down and cleaned the cage before introducing them back into it, removed one toy, and put some different ones in, changed up the layout.

I've kind of given up for the night, I'm a little allergic to them, and the point where I started wheezing I just said 'gently caress it' and separated them for the rest of the night.

felgs fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 25, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

I went by the petstore to get more bedding and a couple who had to move had put their rat up for adoption. How could I not give him a new home?

He's pretty social, and ok with being handled, which is great. I'm glad I could help a rat out.

He always looks pretty chill. :3: Right now is introductions between him and current rat Neville, so far so good. I'm keeping them in my lap for now, until I know they'll be nice.

Edit: So now they are in separate areas with food, water, and towels to hide in. They spent a good three-four hours together in either my lap or the tub without a single fight, but as soon as I tried to put them in the cage (a much bigger space than my lap!) they immediately started to fight. How common is this and what can I do to get them to actually get along? :( I had totally wiped down and cleaned the cage before introducing them back into it, removed one toy, and put some different ones in, changed up the layout.

I've kind of given up for the night, I'm a little allergic to them, and the point where I started wheezing I just said 'gently caress it' and separated them for the rest of the night.

Let them fight and sort their poo poo out. Only intervene if blood is drawn.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Caught them all snuggling together this morning. I go to say hi and all four heads pop out!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

Let them fight and sort their poo poo out. Only intervene if blood is drawn.

Thanks for this. It made this morning much less worrisome. They're doing better--still the occasional throwdown, but no blood, and mostly chill.

Invalid OctopusThey are all so cute. :3 All the cute little faces rushing to see you.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
They've all been sleepy best friends today :)

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
They look very happy to have buddies!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
drat you Invalid Octopus. I thought I was happy with two rats, now I HAVE TO GET MORE.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

NaDy posted:

drat you Invalid Octopus. I thought I was happy with two rats, now I HAVE TO GET MORE.

When I had two rats I thought that was fine. Then I had three rats and thought that was the right amount of rats to have. But now I have four rats, and four rats is clearly where it is. There are so many friendships! Folly, one of the babies, is just like Angie in temperament and completely adores her now. That's where the most fighting was during introduction, but now she follows her around the cage all the time. Plus, when you have two babies, you get to see tiny baby rat wrasslin'. Clearly you should get some more rats.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I don't need more rats yet, I must resist! I only just adopted a new one.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Invalid Octopus posted:

But now I have four rats, and four rats is clearly where it is.

Yes, but have you thought about SIX rats?

Seriously though I love rats and want more all the time. I think when mine finally go and I get more i'll have to get four.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

NaDy posted:

Yes, but have you thought about SIX rats?

Seriously though I love rats and want more all the time. I think when mine finally go and I get more i'll have to get four.

I've had eight at once. Y'all are rat noobs. :colbert: Nothing like a furry horde crawling all over you on the couch while watching TV :3:

I wouldn't recommend this, though, unless you have a massive cage and can let them out for plenty of free time. 8 boys fit in my Ruud cage just fine, but space was a little cramped. Not that it mattered, because in the mornings I'd find 7 of them piled on top of each other in one hammock (they had three available, mind you) and the ADHD one off puttering about in the lower levels :rolleyes:

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Three of my five boys came down with respiratory infections this morning. What the hell rats? Vet appointments have been made for the soonest available, tomorrow at 8:30, my rat vet is the only amazing one in town. So if anyone is looking for one in Las Vegas, let me know.

As an aside, I can't stand the people who are like, "dude, its a loving rat, why are you taking it to the vet lololl" Umm, maybe because I'm not a lovely pet owner. Sorry, all of my friends have pets, and none of them should. At least my mom's reaction was, "oh my God! Will they be okay til tomorrow ARE YOU SURE?" Yes mom, I promise.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

daggerdragon posted:

I've had eight at once. Y'all are rat noobs. :colbert: Nothing like a furry horde crawling all over you on the couch while watching TV :3:

I wouldn't recommend this, though, unless you have a massive cage and can let them out for plenty of free time. 8 boys fit in my Ruud cage just fine, but space was a little cramped. Not that it mattered, because in the mornings I'd find 7 of them piled on top of each other in one hammock (they had three available, mind you) and the ADHD one off puttering about in the lower levels :rolleyes:

I've had 50+ at once. Pretty sure the official count when I stopped being a ratlady/breeding was 48.

What now.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Olive Bar posted:

As an aside, I can't stand the people who are like, "dude, its a loving rat, why are you taking it to the vet lololl" Umm, maybe because I'm not a lovely pet owner. Sorry, all of my friends have pets, and none of them should. At least my mom's reaction was, "oh my God! Will they be okay til tomorrow ARE YOU SURE?" Yes mom, I promise.

My mom is like, don't take it to the vet, just flush it down the toilet :saddowns:

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Olive Bar posted:

"dude, its a loving rat, why are you taking it to the vet lololl"

I always respond that since the rats make me happy, I am actually spending money on myself.

Look very gravely serious then ask them, "Don't you want me to be happy?"

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Three rats worked well for me until I lost one, then bought two home to bolster the cage numbers. (They will keep each other company on the ride home and introducing them together will be easier!) The number has been 4 since.

Though at first I had all 4 in a cage. Then the two little ones grew... ok. My first two rats were pet store rats and I didn't realise they were SMALL. The little ones I bought from a breeder suddenly grew to (what I considered)MASSIVE proportions. There's not as much room in that cage as I thought, now. Oh well, they all love eachother.

Giant freakin' rat :3:

P.S: How big is big for a male rat? The boy pictured above is 8 inches long not counting his tail. Everyone who sees him says "holy crap". But then most people around here have never seen a pet rat.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 27, 2012

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Superconsndar posted:

I've had 50+ at once. Pretty sure the official count when I stopped being a ratlady/breeding was 48.

What now.

Crazy breeding ratlady doesn't count :colbert: How many of those were pets?

Big Bug Hug posted:

Three rats worked well for me until I lost one, then bought two home to bolster the cage numbers. (They will keep each other company on the ride home and introducing them together will be easier!) The number has been 4 since.

Though at first I had all 4 in a cage. Then the two little ones grew... ok. My first two rats were pet store rats and I didn't realise they were SMALL. The little ones I bought from a breeder suddenly grew to (what I considered)MASSIVE proportions. There's not as much room in that cage as I thought, now. Oh well, they all love eachother.

Giant freakin' rat :3:

P.S: How big is big for a male rat? The boy pictured above is 8 inches long not counting his tail. Everyone who sees him says "holy crap". But then most people around here have never seen a pet rat.

Boys can get big. Very, very big. I've had one boy that took two hands to hold all his body length, and his cagemate was a tiny little runty girl-like thing (but very definitely male, can't miss those balls), so your mileage can vary.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Jin Wicked posted:

I always respond that since the rats make me happy, I am actually spending money on myself.

Look very gravely serious then ask them, "Don't you want me to be happy?"

Those are probably some of the same people who are like "JUST FEED YOUR DAWG OLD ROY YOU LIMP WRISTED LIEBERAL" or something.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

daggerdragon posted:

Crazy breeding ratlady doesn't count :colbert: How many of those were pets?

:neckbeard: ALL OF THEM. Until that point, I was a super crazy furbaby ratlady and all of my special fur angels were ~very very important.~ Some of those were rescues, but the majority were spergy ones I'd bred with embarrassingly specific and extensive pedigrees and all of the usual really crazy ratlady stuff.

I got SDA in 2006 and after an almost year long ordeal involving it, only 8 of the total survived. Cue huge meltdown over ~~~~years of lost work~~~~ and I didn't get rats again until like 2009 and I am now almost incapable of having ~feelings~ about them and just BYB to play around with colors when I get bored. I actually really, really miss getting super emotionally involved in rats. They're really good buddies. :unsmith:

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
It kills me when they're taking a nap on me, then they wake up, realize where they are, and boggle like crazy. Love you too little dudes. A friend of mine has only had experience with feeder rats (yeah I know, feeding live is a bad idea) and he hates them. He met my boys and was amazed at how loving they are. Hand rearing makes one hell of a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

I got SDA in 2006 and after an almost year long ordeal involving it, only 8 of the total survived. Cue huge meltdown over ~~~~years of lost work~~~~ and I didn't get rats again until like 2009 and I am now almost incapable of having ~feelings~ about them and just BYB to play around with colors when I get bored. I actually really, really miss getting super emotionally involved in rats. They're really good buddies. :unsmith:

We think we brought home SDA 2 years ago on a pet store feeder. It sucks. Everyone lived, but it was really touch and go for like 5-6 days while we pumped them full of antibiotics and food, and cleaned out their nasty penis plugs. Those giant neck goiters are terrible. Linus is actually still alive, he'll be 3 in October. He's old and grumpy, but still kickin it. That feeder died unexpectedly like 2 months later though. :sigh: