Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Pieces of Peace posted:

Ouch. If John's being honest here, between "that troll girl" and doomed John's dream-date, any eventual meeting between him and Vriska is going to have major tragic potential.
At this rate, he's more likely to meet Mindfang's ghost.

People talk about dream bubble breakouts occasionally, and it wouldn't surprise me as being the part of some sort of combo rave if there is a massive fight with an endboss... but I don't see it as a plot point to get her back in the game.

When Jade prototyped her dead dreamself, Jadesprite was anything but happy to be pulled out of her afterlife. If Vriska's last message to John was truthful, then her afterlife with beta-John is pretty much the ideal reward she wished for all the way to being stabbed in the back, and probably then some. Either way, I don't see her being in a rush to escape it and go around kicking rear end.

Alpha John still has two years to go, and I'm not sure whether he'd think much of her over those. TWENTY years later, maybe. Then again, that her death is still a serket nobody's letting him in on might lead to a reaction when he finds out the truth.

Also: I look forward to when we get callbacks to the Ghostbusters 2 MMO, especially

John Egbert posted:

follow me so we can seize the high ground against this hideous ocean dwelling marshmallow man, and steal all of his treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

John posted:

i think we make things more meaningful in our head when they're happening than they really are. like realistically? there were probably a lot of things that went on that day that didn't mean that much.

If only my head was on this straight when I was 14. I absolutely love the fact that John is being this pragmatic about things.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So is it just me, or does John seem really depressed from this update? Looking at some of the phrasing he is using and some of the things he is saying, like how he talked about how Vriska probably won't even remember him, are really giving me the impression that he is actually pretty sad and worried about people not caring about him any more, but is trying to act tough and distract himself with games so he doesn't have to think too much about it. Really, all of it lines up with how we haven't really seen John express any real grief over his dad's death. It is not that he had that moment offscreen and we just never saw it, but more so that he wants to avoid/is afraid of dealing with it.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Dolash posted:

I get the feeling we're sliding deep into "When do we get to see John feel feelings territory?", and since it can be hard to dig our way out again I'm going to suggest the best answer is "at the right moment, and not before." Karkat's out there feeling feels and flopping around. John's saving all his on-screen emotional investment for the big finish, and the first of three years of intermission-visits wasn't going to be when he breaks that dam.

Same goes for this romance talk. John sounds pretty pragmatic right now, but he's talking an awful lot here with minimal prompting. All this scene adds up to is "This is not the time." Dude's got adventures to go on and character growth to work at and only once things finally peak will we see development on this front. For the moment, John's perfectly stable. I guess we'll see if anything changes that once they meet up again.

Although Hussie couldn't be winking harder at Jade's feelings about/for/on the topic of Dave if he had his self-insert show up and literally wink.
Hussiebot's head will roll by the ship and *WONK*. exsexily.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Speaking from personal experience, a 14 year old trying to avoid dealing with his father's death by distracting himself with anything else he can is a 100% realistic piece of characterisation.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Prison Warden posted:

Speaking from personal experience, a 14 year old trying to avoid dealing with his father's death by distracting himself with anything else he can is a 100% realistic piece of characterisation.

Well, I don't know about the rest of you but I'm depressed!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I think we're losing sight of the bigger picture, and that's how there's no way they could pull off a 2-man raid on the Marshmellow Man.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Gnome de plume posted:

I think we're losing sight of the bigger picture, and that's how there's no way they could pull off a 2-man raid on the Marshmellow Man.

Well, four chuckleheads managed to do it, maybe they could get Davesprite and Casey together and no they can't they're doomed :smith:

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Gnome de plume posted:

John is obviously specced to stunlock the douchebag. Don't have to worry about the damage he can do if he can't hit you!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Black Mage Knight posted:

So is it just me, or does John seem really depressed from this update? Looking at some of the phrasing he is using and some of the things he is saying, like how he talked about how Vriska probably won't even remember him, are really giving me the impression that he is actually pretty sad and worried about people not caring about him any more, but is trying to act tough and distract himself with games so he doesn't have to think too much about it. Really, all of it lines up with how we haven't really seen John express any real grief over his dad's death. It is not that he had that moment offscreen and we just never saw it, but more so that he wants to avoid/is afraid of dealing with it.

Pretty much this. It won't be during this between-windows flight, and it probably won't be when they meet up again (unless the whole Vriska thing becomes a bigger sticking point), but before the end of the story the long-burning fuse that is John is going to culminate into something. Taking most of any of this 'pragmatism' at its word would be a mistake.

Unfortunately the level of discussion on a lot of Homestuck place online right now is at "Guys does this confirm Jade/Davesprite or Jade/Dave?" and "Ugh, Hussie squashed Vriska/John" levels.

Edit: Going to guess that since that Marshmallow Man is nowhere near where he should be, it's part of the new character intro experience. They always cram in some scripted encounters and larger-than-usual threats and powers to help get you hooked.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Color Printer posted:

Well, four chuckleheads managed to do it, maybe they could get Davesprite and Casey together and...

Which one of them is yiffing in this panel?

Before I hit "Submit Reply," I went back a few pages and it's the same one asking a/s/l on this page. Someone's a bit of a pervert on that battleship.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I kinda think John really might just snap at some point.

Not, like, "become evil and start killing people" Gamzee-style snap, but everything that's happened suddenly hits him at once and he just curls up in a ball and cries. And accidentally destroys an entire planet in the process because oops windy thing.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

A good poster posted:

Before I hit "Submit Reply," I went back a few pages and it's the same one asking a/s/l on this page. Someone's a bit of a pervert on that battleship.

Seems like the sort of thing DaveSprite would do ironically.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
I had a sort of progression of how I saw homestuck as I read it:

Sylladex shenanegans are great -> where did the syllashenanegans go??? -> the fandom is crazy and there are too many Things -> the shenanegans are fun again now that I've stopped taking things so seriously

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

A good poster posted:

s = species

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I think part of the problem with John's characterization currently is that he hasn't really had a chance to express himself in a way that fits with Homestuck's presentation. Since it's so dialogue heavy, with a few pictures per chunk of conversation, you really need to either:

-break it up quite a bit to get a sense of the character's emotional progression through the conversation
-make their emotional state very clear through changes in their 'speech' pattern, since you can't rely on facial expressions/body language/physical descriptors to the same degree
-use simple, but effective imagery
-have the characters pretty clearly hash out their thoughts and feelings

So Dave looking at his bloody hands, during at least one of John and Vriska's conversations you get several shots of Vriska looking morose, or Karkat's laid-out personal reflections with himself all contribute to showing how the characters are reacting.

Gamzee, Sollux and Aradia changing speech patters are pretty obvious too, but Hussie's definitely capable of more subtle ones, as shown by the changes from pesterlog to dialoglog.

Thing is that John hasn't really had much of those yet. He's maybe got some signs that things aren't right in these latest updates, but how much of that is just because he's speaking in person now? And in his arguably most 'important' conversation development-wise we don't even see him for like half of it. I mean, maybe he's close to tears at several points, but Karkat snaps him out of it? We don't know, because we don't see John's face.

or... whatever I guess.

Boiled Away
Mar 22, 2012

by angerbutt

Cavatica posted:

If only my head was on this straight when I was 14. I absolutely love the fact that John is being this pragmatic about things.

If it were real life that would be pragmatism, but in Homestuck everything really does mean something.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Boiled Away posted:

I realized a little while ago that the answer to "Do You Remem8er Me" is "no," and something about the hopelessness and tragedy of it hit me so hard I started crying. That might seem like a strong response, but Homesutck is the only good thing in my life right now, so I'm pretty invested in it.
It's further tragic because if Vriska was in John's place right now, she'd never have let go of him. John was the only person left that could tolerate her, the only person left that could see her good side :smith:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I like to think John's coup de grâce will happen when he tries to console Jane after her dad gets impaled by a sharp object. That said, I'm fine with it happening whenever.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Level Slide posted:

I like to think John's coup de grâce will happen when he tries to console Jane after her dad gets impaled by a sharp object. That said, I'm fine with it happening whenever.

Well I've got good news and bad news, the good news is that I found this tooth...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tardcore posted:

Well I've got good news and bad news, the good news is that I found this tooth...

Haha, that was by far one of the most "WTF" lines in a game ever.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I have no problem with how John was characterized in these last few panels. He went through a ton of poo poo in 24 hours (his planet gets hosed over, he's warped into a real life RPG, he nearly gets killed by Terezi, he makes himself, his Nanna, and all of his friends, he accidentally fucks up his session by getting Bec prototyped, Vriska got him killed so he can go God Tier and he has no idea about it, his dad dies before he can meet him in the game, and the shenanigans regarding the Scratch). I think it makes sense that he'd have a "eh, whatever" view on his last birthday in order to rationalize and deattach his emotions from the events that made him go from "Happy and dorky kid" to "god-like being that lost everything he ever had". For someone like him, it's better to accept that it happened and pretend that you're really emotionally attached to what happened than try to dwell on the fact that everything changed forever and he had no real control over it.

All of this John talk is making me interested in how he'll react to Jane. He's be meeting a teenage version of Nanna who's going through the exact same situation he's going through right now. I could imagine him trying to be the hero by being overly-protective of her to (futility) prevent her from going from the same stuff he did on his 13th birthday (like her dad dying).

Boiled Away
Mar 22, 2012

by angerbutt

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh my god Jade

Jade what are you doing

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Jaspers meowing the Happy Birthday song is adorable. :3:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

closeted republican posted:

It really is.

Also, I wonder what Jade will do when she runs into GCAT.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

closeted republican posted:

The hilarious thing (at least to me) is that this is also a clever way to get around having to pay royalties to the copyright owners of the Birthday Song.

Yes, someone owns that song and charges royalties to TV shows and stuff that use it.

(And a webcomic could probably get away with it, but Hussie has been legit trying to not steal poo poo. He even paid to use that one Cage song, I think?)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

Haha, that was by far one of the most "WTF" lines in a game ever.

What's that from?

Fake E: Also is Jade going to strife Jaspersprite now :ohdear:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Bobulus posted:

(And a webcomic could probably get away with it, but Hussie has been legit trying to not steal poo poo. He even paid to use that one Cage song, I think?)

They also asked the Tolkien estate for permission to use Quenya in the Song of Skaia album.

Boiled Away
Mar 22, 2012

by angerbutt
Finally, an update that doesn't make me want to die.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Bobulus posted:

And also I Don't Want To Miss a Thing on Volume 6.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Ahaha oh my god Jade no stop it I love that cat don't do it he gave you a cake for cryin out loud.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
And Jaspers brings the hilarity. I do also love how much like Nanna Dad was, hundreds of cakes for John's birthday regardless of where it is, home or Battleship.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
One Year later, and Jade still can't control the woofs. :3:

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
Oh my god, guys. This page. This page, oh my god.

Also, look at all those cakes! Where do they even get that many cakes?!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

karmicknight posted:

And Jaspers brings the hilarity. I do also love how much like Nanna Dad was, hundreds of cakes for John's birthday regardless of where it is, home or Battleship.

Well now we know where Dad got his love of making cakes from. :v:

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Like I said earlier, whenever John gets emotional or faces something he doesn't want to, he has something to distract himself with, and what a glorious distraction this is.

FAKE EDIT: You know, thinking about it, whenever something bad happens to John, or he begins to break down emotionally, there is always something to completely change the tone to something humorous before it gets too sad, effectively putting us through how John deals with the situation.

REAL EDIT: That being said I still really love where this is going.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Andrew Hussie: Sucker punching you in the face and making you laugh so hard you forget why you're on the ground.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

king of no pants posted:

Oh my god, guys. This page. This page, oh my god.

Also, look at all those cakes! Where do they even get that many cakes?!

Well they have all 4 planets, which means they have all four houses, which means they have John's kitchen, which means they have baking supplies.

Which they could captchalogue and duplicate ad nauseum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
John just has his 'emotional response' switch wired backwards.
He has a history of this, I think:

Gushers actually by Betty Crocker: Nervous breakdown

Everyone on Earth is dead: Welp, better start some quests

Dad 'not all that into clowns': curl up into fetal position on the bed

Dad was murdered: "i am frankly pretty upset"