Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
I'm in Hanoi, if any goons want to meet up tonight or tomorrow. Think by Thursday or Friday I will get bored of the city and ride to Sapa and try a homestay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boomshakanaka
Mar 31, 2008
Anybody have any experience with/recommendations for open bus tickets in Vietnam? Or any ideas on about how much money it saves? I've heard mixed reviews. I'm in Saigon, planning to head north if that matters.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Macunaima posted:

You should check out Doi Inthanon. There's a cheap eco-lodge run by Karen refugees in the park, at a cool altitude. I stayed there after a week of Thai language study in Chiang Mai, and had a blast mangling Thai with my hosts.

wikipedia posted:

Doi Inthanon (Thai: ดอยอินทนนท์(Pronunciation)) is the highest mountain in Thailand.

Nope. Not gonna do it. :D

plotskee
Mar 10, 2010

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

boomshakanaka posted:

Anybody have any experience with/recommendations for open bus tickets in Vietnam? Or any ideas on about how much money it saves? I've heard mixed reviews. I'm in Saigon, planning to head north if that matters.

Just got out of Vietnam about a week ago. My travel companion bought an open ticket from Hanoi to Saigon, and I just booked as we went. I actually ended up paying a little less than her (literally a few dollars). It doesn't really matter either way, costwise. If you don't get the open ticket, reserving a day in advance isn't necessary and you can change bus companies if you have a bad experience - that was the selling point for me as I'd heard a few people who had multiple bad experiences with their open ticket companies.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

eviljelly posted:

Nope. Not gonna do it. :D

Are you on a bike? I took a motorbike up for 200 baht a day.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Macunaima posted:

Are you on a bike? I took a motorbike up for 200 baht a day.

Yup. And I'm done up here. I'm gonna go diving.

PS I really tried to get myself to buy some clown pants but I couldn't do it. I did get some fisherman pants though. I'm cool now, right?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

lightpole posted:

Has anyone done any trekking in Nepal? I really want to head there for April even though it is tourist season. I dont really have a time frame to contend with, just figured I should be able to see quite a bit during April, at least Annapurna and maybe Everest. I dont mind staying longer, maybe in to May. Any ideas?

I'm also currently brooding over whether to do Nepal trekking (plus Delhi for a few days) or go to Malaysia and beyond for my month off in September. I have always wanted to hike the Himalaya and I have yet to get to Kathmandu.

At the same time though, I would be by myself and high-altitude can give you problems regardless of how fit you are.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
eviljelly
☑ 100 baht bungalow
☑ ukulele
☑ fisherman pants
☐ braids
☐ 18 hour busride
☐ banana pancakes

Just kidding! :)

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I've had banana pancakes! check that one off the list!

'fraid i'll never have an 18 hour bus ride or braids though :ohdear:

Also the ukulele is because it's the only (proper) instrument that'll fit on my bike :(

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thai people in New York are buying ukeleles now because some Thai Idol show lady named Not played one on the TV.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I was wondering why there were ukuleles for sale all over Thailand. I knew it had to be a "thing" here because I saw a poster for god-knows-what featuring ukuleles, fixed gear bikes with terrible 'colorways', and skintight jeans.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

eviljelly posted:

Yup. And I'm done up here. I'm gonna go diving.

PS I really tried to get myself to buy some clown pants but I couldn't do it. I did get some fisherman pants though. I'm cool now, right?

Same-same, no different.

Jealous of the diving. I'm back in Minneapolis, savings for imminent move to New York. Thus endeth my life of leisure travel.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I'm also currently brooding over whether to do Nepal trekking (plus Delhi for a few days) or go to Malaysia and beyond for my month off in September. I have always wanted to hike the Himalaya and I have yet to get to Kathmandu.

At the same time though, I would be by myself and high-altitude can give you problems regardless of how fit you are.

Im going to be by myself but Im not too worried about that. I spend quite a bit of time at altitude, either in the Sierras or the Rockies and have never had a problem.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

lightpole posted:

Im going to be by myself but Im not too worried about that. I spend quite a bit of time at altitude, either in the Sierras or the Rockies and have never had a problem.

I have climbed numerous ~20k' mountains with only one problem due to dehydration. But still, I have seen people in tip-top shape go down at 16k' due to altitude sickness. It strikes whenever and wherever it feels like it.

The other thing is that another trip to SE Asia will be warm and delicious...

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Macunaima posted:

Same-same, no different.

Jealous of the diving. I'm back in Minneapolis, savings for imminent move to New York. Thus endeth my life of leisure travel.

Move to Jackson Heights or Elmhurst there's lots of Thai people around here.

eviljelly posted:

I was wondering why there were ukuleles for sale all over Thailand. I knew it had to be a "thing" here because I saw a poster for god-knows-what featuring ukuleles, fixed gear bikes with terrible 'colorways', and skintight jeans.

I was trying to find the clip on youtube when I found out there's been a ukelele festival in Thailand (in the Paragon) for the last two years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj0eBayV3n0

This is from the show. She placed second in the show or whatever and has an album now. There are probably videos from that in the related links.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 20, 2012

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

lightpole posted:

Has anyone done any trekking in Nepal? I really want to head there for April even though it is tourist season. I dont really have a time frame to contend with, just figured I should be able to see quite a bit during April, at least Annapurna and maybe Everest. I dont mind staying longer, maybe in to May. Any ideas?

Not really sure the SE Asia thread is the best place to ask this, as I don't think Nepal counts as SEA... but with that said, I did a trek all the way around the Annapurna circuit in 2009 and it was one of the best things I've ever done in my life. The area is spectacular, just stunning scenery, and you have a true sense of accomplishment as you make your way around the trail. It's supposed to be a three week trek, but even killing an extra day or three of rest beyond the minimum recommended amount, my friends and I did it in 15 days. Hanging out in Pokhara at the end is pretty neat, too.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Arrived back in the states today after 4 months away. Thanks for all your help thread! People in the USA are FAT!!!!!!!!!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

eviljelly posted:

They've been big for about two years minimum. To understand why you just have to listen to the slow, continuous devolution of Thai pop into one long cute wail accompanied by the cutesiest instrument imaginable. Within 5 years, Thai music will consist of a 16 year old girl giggling in tune with some wind chimes. It's the sappiest, most syrupy and lame music culture in the world. When I got there, at least they played Big rear end and Body Slam. Now it's all whiny kawaii culture knockoff emo kids whining in their room while playing a guitar (though the boy band knockoffs are still around and going strong). There are really only two speeds - hyperactive bubble gum synth pop and whining kid tung emo ukelele. If you learn the words "kid tung" "mai kao jai" "tee rak" "banhaa" and "rak khun" you'll understand the lyrics to 99% of all Thai pop music.

Oh, and P'Bird, who is everpresent. He's the Thai Neil Diamond, heh. LOVING YOU TOO MUCH SO MUCH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Kicked Throat posted:

Arrived back in the states today after 4 months away. Thanks for all your help thread! People in the USA are FAT!!!!!!!!!
Is there any American who doesn't have this as their first reaction? It's the first thing I and everyone I know thought after setting foot back on the homeland. GOOD GOD.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 22, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Is there any American who doesn't have this as their first reaction? It's the first thing I and everyone I know thought after setting foot back on the homeland. GOOD GOD.

I can still taste the pulled pork sandwich and mac & cheese I had at Dallas/Ft. Worth International on my way back to Japan :colbert:

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
It'd be kinda kickass if they had a few CAT engine powered foghorns that like, have to be kick-started by levering a couple ton stone block off a plinth at the 350m mark with some intricate counter-weight system and are kept running through-out the Loudest Call In History by manipulated crude oil dragged/rolled back by the hajji who've made it to Saudi in beat up 44 gallon drums on that epic minaret or minora or however you want to say it that's smack dab in the middle of Kuala Lumpur.

I'm just saying it'd be pretty rad. I'm not saying I would enjoy it but I sure as poo poo would appreciate it.

EDIT: This czech guy in borneo told me that when he sees a homeless man, he likes to push on his eyeball so a black shape appears next to the derelict and imagine that (the derelict's) time is close which I think something got heavily messed up in the translation of so I didn't pursue it.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 22, 2012

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.
Oh god, I want to go back to SE asia. As soon as I finish this loving journalism degree, I'll use my unemployment benefit to move the gently caress away from cold rear end Scandinavia.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Fiskenbob posted:

As soon as I finish this loving journalism degree, I'll use my unemployment benefit
Here are two sentence fragments you probably see together a lot, heh. Also commonly followed by "Southeast Asia."

EDIT: Grammar. Leave it to the guy making the crack about journalism students to gently caress up his GSP stuff.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 22, 2012

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Checking in as a fellow journalism student and fellow South East Asia enthusiast :sigh:

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I'm determined to be friends with every single cat and dog in Pai. Keeping a can of tuna and some non-chocolate snacks with me at all times.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

eviljelly posted:

I'm determined to be friends with every single cat and dog in Pai. Keeping a can of tuna and some non-chocolate snacks with me at all times.
In 5 years there will be a section about the crazy cat man of Pai who you can see begging at the bus station.

If anyone passes through Phnomenal Penh and wants to do some nice countryside trail running/biking let me know. There's a great patch of lemongrass plantations and cattle ranches and such just opposite the city with heaps of small dirt trails and even some old grave sites and things. It's hotter than two rats loving in a wool sock, but it's great running and biking.

EDIT: Also, PP is the SE Asian capital of expats chain smoking in restaurants and bars. Jesus. I've never been so appreciative of Bangkok's anti-smoking laws. It's a lethal combination of French influence, British presence and just a heaping helping of rejects who consider Pattaya to have too many rules. Other on-the-fence opinions concerning Thailand have also changed after a month here. For example, I now consider Thai drivers considerably less moronic than previously (though still pretty moronic).

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 22, 2012

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I'm surprised at people here a few pages ago complaining about being hassled in Vietnam. I didn't find that at all. In Phnom Penh I had a couple instances of a tuktuk driver following me for a kilometer, but nothing like that at all in Nam. I loved it, definitely a highlight. So people saying they wouldn't recommend it is strange to hear. But I thought Laos sucked so sometimes I think I'm having a different trip as everybody else.

Anyway, couple more days in Bangkok then I'm headed south to go scuba diving for a month. Koh Tao, then Koh Phanang for the party, then Koh Samui, across to Koh PhiPhi, then Koh Similan and finally the Surin Islands. I am incredibly stoked for Richelieu Rock. Anybody been diving there before?

You know what the absolute stupidest question is? "Where are you from". And I don't mean when locals or kids ask it, then it's great, I love it. I mean when other tourists ask it. Especially when it's the first or second thing they say to you when you walk into the hostel. Who loving cares? What difference does it make? What an insanely boring thing to ask. "Canada". "oh, cool". Great! What does that do for you? I don't think I can think of a least interesting question.

And finally, Danza Kuduro. Great club song, or greatest club song?

stratdax fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 22, 2012

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

stratdax posted:

You know what the absolute stupidest question is? "Where are you from". And I don't mean when locals or kids ask it, then it's great, I love it. I mean when other tourists ask it. Especially when it's the first or second thing they say to you when you walk into the hostel. Who loving cares? What difference does it make? What an insanely boring thing to ask. "Canada". "oh, cool". Great! What does that do for you? I don't think I can think of a least interesting question.

God forbid people be curious about who they're talking to...

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

CronoGamer posted:

God forbid people be curious about who they're talking to...

If it's one of the first questions somebody asks, they're boring. Hey how's it going, where are you from? It's totally irrelevant and has nothing to do with "who" a person is. When you meet somebody new at home, is the second question you ask "so which suburb did you grow up in?". Just have a regular conversation with someone without immediately dropping the most banal question ever and I promise it will be a far more interesting conversation. Slip it in when there's some context do so in the current conversation if you want, not just a point blank intro question that leads nowhere and has nothing to do with anything.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

stratdax posted:

I'm surprised at people here a few pages ago complaining about being hassled in Vietnam. I didn't find that at all. In Phnom Penh I had a couple instances of a tuktuk driver following me for a kilometer, but nothing like that at all in Nam. I loved it, definitely a highlight. So people saying they wouldn't recommend it is strange to hear. But I thought Laos sucked so sometimes I think I'm having a different trip as everybody else.

Anyway, couple more days in Bangkok then I'm headed south to go scuba diving for a month. Koh Tao, then Koh Phanang for the party, then Koh Samui, across to Koh PhiPhi, then Koh Similan and finally the Surin Islands. I am incredibly stoked for Richelieu Rock. Anybody been diving there before?

And finally, Danza Kuduro. Great club song, or greatest club song?

I'll be in BK tomorrow and Koh Tao shortly thereafter

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

To any of you who hit up Kanchanaburi, beware of the Bamboo House hotel. Rather don't take a room/bungalow out on the river. You end up sleeping with giant fuckoff jungle spiders that appear in your bathroom in the middle of the night. gently caress spiders.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

stratdax posted:

If it's one of the first questions somebody asks, they're boring. Hey how's it going, where are you from? It's totally irrelevant and has nothing to do with "who" a person is. When you meet somebody new at home, is the second question you ask "so which suburb did you grow up in?". Just have a regular conversation with someone without immediately dropping the most banal question ever and I promise it will be a far more interesting conversation. Slip it in when there's some context do so in the current conversation if you want, not just a point blank intro question that leads nowhere and has nothing to do with anything.

Just sounds to me like they're looking for a way to relate to you, by having been to your country or by asking further questions or whatever. I dunno, doesn't seem like a big deal to me and I've never gotten upset over anyone asking me that question.

edit to add:

quote:

and has nothing to do with "who" a person is.

Do you really think this? Where you come from has plenty to do with the person you are. The things you are exposed to by proximity while growing up have a great effect on the person you become. I have much more in common with the average American, especially East Coaster (where I am from) than I do with a Kiwi or someone from South Africa, just by our shared culture and experiences.

quote:

When you meet somebody new at home, is the second question you ask "so which suburb did you grow up in?".

Not suburb, but, well, yeah- it is pretty common to ask where someone is from. Think of a college setting. I daresay, in your first week of freshman year, that might be the single most common question asked...

CronoGamer fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 22, 2012

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

stratdax posted:

Icebreaker? Seems like a very valid first question to ask someone sitting next to you in a lobby of a guesthouse in Cambodia.

I mean, how exactly do you start conversations with people you never met before?

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

stratdax posted:

I'll be in BK tomorrow and Koh Tao shortly thereafter.

To make this less than a completely worthless post- the only thing I can think to add is a couple of Bangkok food recommendations. We found an awesome stall in the back of the Chatuchak weekend market (soi 38, all the way in the back). It was run by "Ann" who was born and raised in Isaan to southern Thai parents. Her cuisine covers a fair amount of both styles, but is homey and loving delicious. She loves to talk about food and if you are enthusiastic as I am, she we gladly continue to stuff free tastes down your throat until you cannot physically handle it. Great foo, great woman.

For anyone looking to drop some $$ in Bangkok, I would recommend Bo.Lan. The 8 course tasting menu is about 1600TBH/person- we decided to get 4 dishes and some wine instead as it worked out to be a bit cheaper. This was a good thing as the chef loves to send complimentary food, so we ended up with about 7 courses with apertifs and wine, plus complimentary petit fours. All in, the whole thing was about $90 USD and provided some wonderful, elevated thai cuisine. I haven't been in country to truly be able to throw around words like "authentic" but basically eat at street stalls most of the time and this captured the same elements but with an added refinement that was really enjoyable. Great place to take a date, great place if you love to eat.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Isn't it even remotely possible that you've been to the country they're from (or maybe you're even from the same places), which can then form the basis of something to talk about and lead to further conversation? I thought that's how you start conversations.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Also a slightly less rude way of asking what language you speak. It's kind of telling when you get angry about things like that. If you get angry at that, you're going to get angry at "what do you do" and "where have you been" and "where are you going" and you'll give a moist handshake, mostly with your fingertips when asked your name and you'll just be a bit of a whatever, really. stratdax. whatever. tell me what words you hate the most. tell me how to say caribbean. does it rhyme with amphibian?

people are just being friendly. just say you're from the internet.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Where are you from is both a fine question to ask and an over-asked question. I used to tell Thai people who asked me that that I was from Surin and that I missed my buffalo very much. Farang I would just tell I was from America which is actually very convenient as everyone knows something about America to talk about.

Also where a person is from makes a big difference and is useful information to know. It's hardly the only thing worth knowing but it's not a bad start. Even in the US knowing what state someone is from can fill in a lot gaps and make for a lot of easy conversation.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Talk about raging over the most inane things. Guess stratdax hasn't done much traveling?

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
See this right here is what people mean when they say that even the most socially inept person can meet people while travelling and backpacking through SEA by themselves. You don't get a choice, people are going to come up to you even if you get mad when they ask where are you from.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

brendanwor posted:

Talk about raging over the most inane things. Guess stratdax hasn't done much traveling?

Or too much, I've heard this type of complaint once before an that was from a French girl who just spend two years "seeing the world". Basically she was annoyed having the same empty conversation everytime again and again. Not that she had anything interesting to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I like being asked where I'm from because when I tell people I'm from the U.S it will trigger their rage/curiosity/envy and make the conversation way more interesting than your typical banter.

For example, I love shooting the poo poo with French and English people because we all have a history that links us in some way or another and thus we can poke fun at each other over it.