Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Thanks for your kind words. It was a blast staking out the location to get that shot.

Tovarisch posted:

Great photo. Is it sunrise and a city on a horizon, or two cities?

I think the glow on the right is a city, and the glow in the middle is actually a car just down the road behind a little dip.

quote:

New Zealand stars are some of the clearest and brightest I have ever seen

My biggest regret was not bringing my tripod when I trekked near Ruapehu. You have not seen the milky way until you have seen it at 2000m's elevation in the middle of a desert in the middle of one of the least densely populated countries in the world.

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

WARNING: Contents may contain traces of nuts.
I spent a night in a tent somewhere in the Northern Territory, Australia (a few hours north of Tennant Creek if memory serves). The amount of stars I saw that night has never been surpassed, except for the time I used my brother's 12 inch reflector telescope with his non-magnifying eyepiece - seeing scores of galaxies across your field of view is something that lives with you.

modulartribe
Feb 24, 2012

modular tribesman
here are some trees blowin' in the wind and poo poo

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I just moved up from a P&S to a NEX-7 and had to try out long exposure shots from my temporary apartment as soon as I got home. Despite having to brace against a rail and window instead of a tripod this one in particular came out great.

daemon
Sep 29, 2002

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
Here's my first attempt at some nighttime exposures with my new lens.

Front Yard at night. by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Tonight I'm heading up to the mountain peaks to try and get some more clarity.

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!

IMG_0708 by bighoits, on Flickr

Night time of the South Saskatchewan

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
drat the moon and other light pollution. These are two shots from a time lapse sequence, about 4 hours apart. The moon turned night to day.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Point Reyes, CA

mrlego fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 16, 2012

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Just recently got a camera and have no real idea what I am doing, I just go out and take a bunch of photos with a bunch of different settings. I am the happiest with these three so far.

Dallas Skyline (I didn't notice it was a tad crooked until I got back home though, :()

Different angle, wish that telephone pole wasn't there though.

A sculpture near Dallas in Irving

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Raglan Harbour by trambopaline, on Flickr

More shooting at night. This time Raglan Harbour!

barkums
Apr 8, 2003

SEWN ... back together WRONG!
So tonight has been the best night for super clear skies and it's also provided me with the first attempt at star photography.

Front Yard Skies by barkums, on Flickr

My question is, in the lower left corner, could that be caused by a possible light leak? If you look at the others in the gallery, they are all present in the respective corner too.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
M81 (Bodes Galaxy) and M82 (Cigar Galaxy) taken on the nights of the 18th and 19th from my back garden with a William Optics ZS66SD refractor and modified Canon 1000D. 44 x 5 minutes total exposures. The imgur link underneath is a higher res, fun for playing 'spot the galaxy', I found seven additional ones in the frame separate from the main targets.

Normally this would be a target for my 250mm reflector but that's currently not in use so I was interested to see what I could get with a small scope instead.

Galaxies M81 (Bodes) and M82 (Cigar) by tmarkuk, on Flickr

http://i.imgur.com/3yDLR.jpg

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I'm slowly starting to learn how to photography things properly! My first long exposure featuring an industrial area;

Vickers by HezzyUK, on Flickr

Also my first ever successful wide field shot of stars;

Night Photography 032 by HezzyUK, on Flickr

I only realised when I got home that it is very out of focus! I shot this with a 50mm lens that I bought the other day, so far I'm pretty pleased. I'm planning to do another shoot with the same set up now that I know what kind of settings I want to use! This is the kind of shot that made me want to get into photography in the first place and I'm really chuffed that I actually did one!

Any recommendations? Next set I am going to do that "infinity focus" trick that somebody mentioned to me after the shoot. How do I cast light on objects in the foreground without polluting the shot? A torch or something? Has anybody had any luck shooting in areas with light pollution, or does that only really affect deep space photography?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Hezzy posted:

I'm slowly starting to learn how to photography things properly! My first long exposure featuring an industrial area;

Also my first ever successful wide field shot of stars;

Night Photography 032 by HezzyUK, on Flickr

I only realised when I got home that it is very out of focus! I shot this with a 50mm lens that I bought the other day, so far I'm pretty pleased. I'm planning to do another shoot with the same set up now that I know what kind of settings I want to use! This is the kind of shot that made me want to get into photography in the first place and I'm really chuffed that I actually did one!

Any recommendations? Next set I am going to do that "infinity focus" trick that somebody mentioned to me after the shoot. How do I cast light on objects in the foreground without polluting the shot? A torch or something? Has anybody had any luck shooting in areas with light pollution, or does that only really affect deep space photography?

Since you don't have live view on your camera, take a shot, and then zoom in all the way to see what is in focus. Adjust and do it again. My usual first attempt is to rotate the focus ring to infinity and then back off just a bit. Especially if I'm shooting at a really wide aperture.

To light up objects just use a flashlight or a flash or whatever you have. Toy around with it.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

Hezzy posted:

I don't know what your infinity focus trick is, but I like to auto-spot focus on the furthest, but largest light source the camera can see, then flick it to manual. This works for me.

For painting stuff, you just use a good torch and if you like, a touch of cellophane. A good torch really is worth while for this. lovely torches end with discouraging results.

For light pollution, or say, things in the foreground that are illuminated by street lights or otherwise, I myself like to take images of the stars streaking (which they do anyway in a 30s exposure) and so I take multiple exposures of the same duration and compile them with this photoshop plugin.

http://timelapseblog.com/2010/03/29/star-trails-photoshop-action/ (I haven't used this one in particular but it's the same poo poo.)

I hope this has been of help.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Helmacron posted:

I don't know what your infinity focus trick is, but I like to auto-spot focus on the furthest, but largest light source the camera can see, then flick it to manual. This works for me.

It will fail if you're out in the sticks with no city glow and no moon. I tried last November and it was one of my biggest photography failures ever.. midnight, milky way was rolling itself across the sky, a hundred miles away from the nearest street light.. I burned at least 30 minutes just trying to find some drat focus.

Even at max iso and wide open there was nowhere near enough light for my camera to focus on anything. I had to do the "take a picture, zoom in on the lcd, check focus, turn wheel a little bit, repeat". Which really sucked, because it kept blowing out my night vision.

I will never go out for night photography again without a lens that has a display for infinity focus on the barrel or some other mechanical means for finding it. :smithicide:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My trick for zooming in the dark:
- Set camera to manual zoom
- Put phone on ground, press a button so the screen lights up.
- Point camera a few feet up and focus on the phone.
- Turn focus ring as far as it goes in the complete opposite direction. Then I usually slide it back a millimeter or so.

The Corporate
Jul 7, 2009

doodle_duck_dandy posted:

P2117807 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Blown out street lights, but the cars where not travelling fast enough for a short exposure, needed 13 seconds between traffic light cycles.

Nice. If you're shooting in Kingston, did you try taking some shots down by the Thames or in the fishmarket? I imagine you might get better opportunities for a good shot there than out the back of the Bentalls Centre. I haven't been into Kingston for ages, having moved up to Glasgow for university, but from what I remember I imagine there might be more patches of colour in those areas which you could take advantage of to stop the photo from being overwhelmed with orange.

Speaking of Glasgow, here's a shot I took a few months back and didn't really think much of at the time, but it'd be nice to get peoples' criticism on it if possible. Did I desaturate the oranges too much?

Untitled 2 by The Corporate, on Flickr

Nighttime urban photography in the UK is a nightmare, local councils just love their sodium-vapour street lights.

The Corporate fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 28, 2012

oldmandon
Feb 10, 2004

OMG! It's OMD!
I went out to a landmark bridge in my city a couple of nights ago with a friend who was visiting.

Cars on 360 bridge by raptoralex, on Flickr

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

oldmandon posted:

I went out to a landmark bridge in my city a couple of nights ago with a friend who was visiting.

nice shot but try to get the red lights to start at the open of the bridge - ie time it properly so the shutter clicks as soon as the red tail lights are about to enter the frame

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

oldmandon posted:

And you've cut the tree off, mate.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Speak of the Devil:

modulartribe
Feb 24, 2012

modular tribesman
cannon mountain in new hampshire

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Daytime long exposures. About 45 seconds at f11 using a piece of cheap welding glass as a ND filter. Results are very greenish and look better in black and white.

Timetravel by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Welp, time to add a welding mask to my list of photography gear.

The instant foggy day effect looks great.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Those are great, I particularly like the first one with the seagulls and three shades of sea. I got a set of Cokin-style ND filters a while back which I still haven't really used, I think I'll have to try and get out with them this weekend.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela

big scary monsters posted:

Those are great, I particularly like the first one with the seagulls and three shades of sea. I got a set of Cokin-style ND filters a while back which I still haven't really used, I think I'll have to try and get out with them this weekend.

It was pretty cool those birds didn't move much during the exposure. Now that I've figured out how to shoot through the glass with a manual white balance set I can shoot in color, too bad I am currently in a different country now.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Hezzy posted:

I only realised when I got home that it is very out of focus! I shot this with a 50mm lens that I bought the other day, so far I'm pretty pleased.

In addition to the other suggestions, the general rule for star shots is that 600/focal length is the number of seconds you can expose for without star trails becoming an issue on a regular tripod. You'll be a little limited with the 50mm to about 12 seconds, while 18mm on a kit lens will net you 30 seconds or so.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
So tomorrow night I will be going an hour and a half out of my way to take some nice dark photos of the sky (New England sucks for that sort of thing). I am looking at different photographic techniques I want to try. One I am having trouble finding however. It's photographing something at night with the intentions of it looking like the middle of the day with stars in the sky. I have seen spectacular examples of this before and would like to try it. Maybe one of you know how? Any advice would be appreciated.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

City glow or moonlight are great for turning night into day. You might have to experiment with exposure to not blow out the stars however.. or maybe try blending two exposures in post.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Postin' it big. Like this one quite a bit.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

ahmeni posted:

In addition to the other suggestions, the general rule for star shots is that 600/focal length is the number of seconds you can expose for without star trails becoming an issue on a regular tripod. You'll be a little limited with the 50mm to about 12 seconds, while 18mm on a kit lens will net you 30 seconds or so.

Thanks for the tip!

Here's one I took the other day

Night Shoot 009 by HezzyUK, on Flickr

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

xzzy posted:

Welp, time to add a welding mask to my list of photography gear.

The instant foggy day effect looks great.
You might enjot this guy's work; Keith Aggett

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pablo Bluth posted:

You might enjot this guy's work; Keith Aggett

Wow, his stuff is great. Doubly cool for me because I used to live near where he does and recognise a lot of the areas he takes photos.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Napier, New Zealand, from Hospital Hill.

4 images, 179s @ f/16 and ISO 100
Canon 550D - 28-135 USM IS
Noise reduction in Lightroom 3, Panorama in Autopano Giga 2.5.2

Larger http://i.imgur.com/Xm6II.jpg

I'm a little torn, i can bring out the foreground and star trails better with some tweaking in lightroom, but i start getting more noise and the sky starts to go brown.

Overall I like the million twinkling lights.

Edit: oh... imgur jpeg compresses large images so the 1920 long image has artefacts.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 8, 2012

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
So there was a hell of a moon tonight in my area (West Haven, CT)

I wish I could have gotten better photos. The entire thing was sort of rushed. When the moon is on the horizon and is that large, it climbs and becomes unspectacular pretty fast.

Also I know this isn't the timelapse thread. But it fits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmFC7So8FWo

EDIT: Holy hell, I should never use a CRT monitor to edit photos ever again :stare:

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 9, 2012

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Why shouldnt you use a CRT to edit photos? They usually are spot on color wise.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Went to a ballgame the other night and shot this after getting back to the car to get my tripod out:

Ballpark in Arlington by Den of Lies, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Musket posted:

Why shouldnt you use a CRT to edit photos? They usually are spot on color wise.

I'm not sure what happened there. I edited them on a CRT then posted them. I later checked on my laptop and saw how terribly they came out. Luckily I still have the RAWs.