Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
While researching homemade grain mills for brewing, I came across a guy who used a hand cranked pasta machine that he had modded to be cranked by an old juicer and then wired a foot pedal from a sewing machine to run it. The video is seeming difficult to find at the moment.

edit: Aha! http://www.metacafe.com/watch/852501/motorizing_the_pasta_machine/

icehewk fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I remember there was some pepper grinder discussion earlier in this thread, but it's a long thread. What were some of the recommended grinders?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Kenning posted:

I remember there was some pepper grinder discussion earlier in this thread, but it's a long thread. What were some of the recommended grinders?

http://www.amazon.com/Unicorn-Magnum-Peppermill-6-Inch/dp/B0006GSR76

I've had mine for the better part of five years now. Mine is the bigger one. But that smaller one is good too! I used to have it when I was in Florida. I use a lot of pepper, so I kept having to refill the smaller one. Now, I just refill the big one like once a month or so. Mine is 9 inches:

http://www.amazon.com/Unicorn-Magnum-Plus-Pepper-Black/dp/B0000CFB4N/

:)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a bunch of different types of peppercorns. Would there be recommended grinders maybe with an acrylic side so I can see the different types I have in each one?

I already have some nice ones for the table, these would just be to cook with.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I gave my mom the OXO one because my dad kept gluing parts of the old peppermill back together and insisting it was fine. It's not that pretty, but it works well, especially for her arthritic knuckles.

identity49
Nov 29, 2007
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...2%26slotId%3D98

I have these. I have no complaints about them, especially for the price and the acrylic windows. Apparently they have a different blade for the salt one but I'm guessing it'd work for peppercorns too?

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Is there a cheaper alternative to the Vitamix?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just a word of caution, pink peppercorns are finicky and sometimes gum up and get stuck in certain pepper mills and not others.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

I don't know much about cheaper alternatives, but if you end up going for a Vitamix, go direct to their website and go to Specials. You can get a reconditioned version of the better (variable speed) model for that same price. Their "reconditioned" policy is pretty great (same warranty as normal, new container/tamper, probably just something like a demo model/30 day return) so I don't see much reason to pay full price or go with the downgrade.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
I'm in the market for a slushi/snow cone maker. Are there any consumer models (max $100) that can actually make something with the ice fine enough for it to be enjoyable? Any suggestions would be great.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

unicorn magnum

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have a bunch of different types of peppercorns. Would there be recommended grinders maybe with an acrylic side so I can see the different types I have in each one?

I already have some nice ones for the table, these would just be to cook with.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10152875/

The only spice grinder/mill you'll ever need.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

indoflaven posted:

Is there a cheaper alternative to the Vitamix?

People were talking favorably about the ninja here, it's 100 bucks. If you're willing to check slickdeals/fatwallet/coupons forum fairly obsessively for a long time, blendtec does a once a year sale where you can pick them up (I think refurbed but with a several year warranty) for about 250 bucks. If you have a Costco nearby, they'll usually have vitamix at a similar price to Amazon but you'll get an extra jar or something.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Any recommendations on a modestly priced deep fryer suitable for 2 people?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Thoht posted:

If you have a dutch oven, just use that. Otherwise, this one is nice

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-CKSTDFZM70-4-Liter-Touch-Stainless/dp/B00451B86A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1332339825&sr=8-6

I like the larger capacity because you'll drop the oil temp less when you add your foods.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thoht posted:

I'm not sure about the deep fryer and correct sizing, but you'll need a cookbook to go with it.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Kenning posted:

http://www.oldethompson.com/product-details.aspx?ProductID=178&PageID=20
This is hands down my absolute favorite pepper mill. I have two of them, and for the person asking about windows to tell the difference, I have one that I use only for coriander and I simply have a rubberband on it to tell the difference. They've been in use for about 5 years now and they are as fantastic as ever. Especially considering I have used them in professional kitchens for a number of years.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

I'm looking for jars/canisters in which to store my spices. I don't really want the ones with the acrylic lids, as light and spices don't get along well. Any suggestions?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Cost Plus World Market sells great jars for $1.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Just got my 8" Victorinox Chef's knife. I had no idea things cut so easily with a well sharpened knife!

I also bought a sharpening steel and it actually made my lovely $15 Marhshall's knife set somewhat usable :D

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Doh004 posted:

Just got my 8" Victorinox Chef's knife. I had no idea things cut so easily with a well sharpened knife!

I also bought a sharpening steel and it actually made my lovely $15 Marhshall's knife set somewhat usable :D

You bought a honing steel, or a sharpening stone? A steel is really for blade maintenance, a stone actually removes material from the blade to sharpen it. Both improve performance, but a hone should be used FAR more regularly by the average cook (read: every day).

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Shooting Blanks posted:

You bought a honing steel, or a sharpening stone? A steel is really for blade maintenance, a stone actually removes material from the blade to sharpen it. Both improve performance, but a hone should be used FAR more regularly by the average cook (read: every day).

Derp. :downs: Honing steel not sharpening stone. This is what happens when I try to post after spending 11 hours at work.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is something like the Spyderco Sharpmaker worth the money, compared to cheap sharpening stones from the hardware store?

I tend to buy cheap knives because I'm afraid of ruining good ones with my terrible sharpening technique. :(

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

a handful of dust posted:

Is something like the Spyderco Sharpmaker worth the money, compared to cheap sharpening stones from the hardware store?

I tend to buy cheap knives because I'm afraid of ruining good ones with my terrible sharpening technique. :(

The Sharpmaker makes it a lot easier to keep the angle right, but the stones in the Sharpmaker are pretty much the same thing as any other stones.

I recently bought a KME sharpening system and it makes sharpening ridiculously easy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Spotted a sous vide supreme, new in box for 350...so tempted!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my sharpening technique is not good, but you really can't ruin a knife. I've come close to what I thought was 'ruined', took it to a cooking shop, and had their blade guy regrind the edge for like $4 bucks. no problem. and I have expensive knives.

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

mindphlux posted:

my sharpening technique is not good, but you really can't ruin a knife. I've come close to what I thought was 'ruined', took it to a cooking shop, and had their blade guy regrind the edge for like $4 bucks. no problem. and I have expensive knives.
True. That said, the sharpmaker is one of the best values for sharpening systems. It's kind of hard to argue with $50 including stones, and the ability to pop the whole thing into your knife roll.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Does anyone have any information or opinion on the Mercer Millenia series of knives? They look like they're specifically trying to compete with the Victorinox knives everybody raves about.

The one I am looking at is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Millenia-M22612-12-Inch-Chefs/dp/B000PS2XIY/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1332663329&sr=1-7

a 12" blade just seems so wonderfully, unnecessarily long, is this a bad idea for thirty bucks? Is it like the Victorinox, where it will last for basically ever in a home kitchen? I'm no slouch about keeping knives sharp, I have a sharpmaker and a honing steel. I just want to know if anyone has used it and what you guys think.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was looking at prices for Victorinox knives (gonna get me a 12" sabre knife, yo) and uh...

:stare:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I was looking at prices for Victorinox knives (gonna get me a 12" sabre knife, yo) and uh...

:stare:

I guess that's how you go from an 8" to a 7". :cry:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I take it you're not supposed to debone stuff with the chef's knife? I just got my 8" and figured I didn't need the boning knife.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Doh004 posted:

I take it you're not supposed to debone stuff with the chef's knife? I just got my 8" and figured I didn't need the boning knife.

You can debone with a chef's knife, it's the most versatile knife in any kitchen. But it's easier with a boning knife. The thin blade is more maneuverable.

Obviously you shouldn't try to cut the bones themselves with anything other than a sturdy cleaver or a bone saw. The harder your chef's knife is, the more prone it is to chipping, which is why you should go for a boning knife made from slightly softer, more resilient steel. You'll need to sharpen and steel it more, but it'll take better to the occasional bone impact.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Silly me, I read the first sentence of the review and it sounded like a horrible intercourse accident.

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!
How the crap do you manage to snap the point while deboning though? It's not like supersteels where it's super brittle. I can totally see bending it though.

Actually, mine get a bent point courtesy of someone loving it up during a brief, unplanned visit to dishpit... but even then it was pretty easy to fix up.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Acetone posted:

How the crap do you manage to snap the point while deboning though? It's not like supersteels where it's super brittle. I can totally see bending it though.

Actually, mine get a bent point courtesy of someone loving it up during a brief, unplanned visit to dishpit... but even then it was pretty easy to fix up.

Somehow jam it partially into a thick bone and then try to remove it?

I once saw a coworker jab a cutting board with the point of a cheap paring knife and snap about 1/2" off the tip, leaving it stuck in the cutting board.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shooting Blanks posted:

I once saw a coworker jab a cutting board with the point of a cheap paring knife and snap about 1/2" off the tip, leaving it stuck in the cutting board.

I have done this as well, it's surprisingly easy even with cheap bendy supermarket knives.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I have done this as well, it's surprisingly easy even with cheap bendy supermarket knives.

My fiance did this with her Wusthof knife, trying to cut a pumpkin with a remarkably tough hide. 1/8" of knife popped off and stuck out of the top of the pumpkin... (Thank god for professional sharpening services.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
For pumpkins and gourds, I found that using a cleaver feels like a lightsaber in comparison to my chef knife.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Or a drywall saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

PRADA SLUT posted:

Or a drywall saw.

I actually use a Sawzall as my main cutting implement in the kitchen.

• Locked thread