Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pfft, I can still see the steps. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

ReelBigLizard posted:

Fast 3D printing with nanoscale precision

:aaaaa: two. photon. lithography. :aaaaa:

Yea this stuff was blowing my mind. Remember that guy that built the tiny little DLP based 3D printer as a thesis or something? He was from europe somewhere I think...he did a ted talk about it. During his ted talk he described what he does normally which is TRAP BACTERIA OR VIRUS CELLS WITHIN 3D PRINTED CAGES. That is craziness.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wait, so can I feed this thing the windows pipes screensaver & have it print the whole thing without supports? :haw:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Yea this stuff was blowing my mind. Remember that guy that built the tiny little DLP based 3D printer as a thesis or something? He was from europe somewhere I think...he did a ted talk about it. During his ted talk he described what he does normally which is TRAP BACTERIA OR VIRUS CELLS WITHIN 3D PRINTED CAGES. That is craziness.

This is the same university department/lab responsible for that printer, but a couple of different students.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So I've been reading this thread alot the past few days and I'm really interested in 3D printing. However, I don't know a bit of CAD/3D modeling. Where is a good place to start? I'd really love to make figurines, models, and all sorts of neat stuff on a 3D printer one day.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

George Zimmer posted:

So I've been reading this thread alot the past few days and I'm really interested in 3D printing. However, I don't know a bit of CAD/3D modeling. Where is a good place to start? I'd really love to make figurines, models, and all sorts of neat stuff on a 3D printer one day.

Autodesk's 123D is a good place to start. It has a pretty beginner-friendly UI.

And Ponoko does regular online basic training sessions for free in 123D and Sketchup: http://support.ponoko.com/entries/20665743-upcoming-online-training-sessions

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

George Zimmer posted:

TinkerCAD is also aimed at entry-level CAD design. I have not used 123D so I can't say how it compares.

The neat thing about TinkerCAD is that it runs in the browser and you can get started in 15s, no problem.
https://tinkercad.com/home/

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

techknight posted:

Autodesk's 123D is a good place to start. It has a pretty beginner-friendly UI.

And Ponoko does regular online basic training sessions for free in 123D and Sketchup: http://support.ponoko.com/entries/20665743-upcoming-online-training-sessions

kafkasgoldfish posted:

TinkerCAD is also aimed at entry-level CAD design. I have not used 123D so I can't say how it compares.

The neat thing about TinkerCAD is that it runs in the browser and you can get started in 15s, no problem.
https://tinkercad.com/home/

Awesome, will check both of these out. Thanks!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You might like Google Sketchup. It's very WYSIWYG. It suits my needs just fine, but you need a plugin to export to .stl files because everything uses .stl.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Reconstructme is awesome, I'm going to leave little plastic copies of myself EVERYWHERE!

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
I have a couple quick questions for some of you guys that are skilled with the 3D design software and printing.

I have been reading some of these papers for research and whatnot, and a thought came to mind. As was discussed much earlier, the maker bots probably aren't what I need for research In addition, my project has changed. I have been reading some papers that talk about articulations and movement and simple 2d pictures aren't doing it. But what I am wondering about now is what would be needed to make some relatively small scale models (not talking crazy details)?

If anyone can point me in the direction of how I should do that stuff, I would appreciate it. Also, how much might it cost to do some of that? I can answer any other questions both on here or in pm. I just wanted to get the question out fast before I forgot the idea.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

How small is relatively small? The print just above your post looks relatively small to me. It's not clear what your needs are or why "maker bots probably aren't what [you] need".

Actually the only thing that is really clear about your post is that you have been reading some papers.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
My earlier posts were asking about using the makerbots to do some large scale modeling of 3d renditions of CT scans. That research project changed though. Also, a lot of people in the thread mentioned that the makerbot might not be the best shot for what I wanted.

As for what I am thinking now, I was thinking small replicas of bones and skulls. And, yes, the posts I have seen so far indicate that the scale is doable. My questions mainly lie in detail at small scale and converting an image from 2d to 3d. I am not looking for crazy detail, but a bit more moderate.

As for the papers I was reading that might give more information on what I am asking about, the two best examples were one related to articulation and positioning of limbs in dinosaurs, and the other was the relationship of horn shape on possible damage to the frill in combat between ceratopsian dinosaurs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

How small? What scale?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Cakefool posted:

How small? What scale?

That's why I'm asking. I have no idea what levels of detail are possible at what sizes. So I could really use some information to know if what I'm asking is workable without costing me hundreds of dollars per piece.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SublimeDelusions posted:

That's why I'm asking. I have no idea what levels of detail are possible at what sizes. So I could really use some information to know if what I'm asking is workable without costing me hundreds of dollars per piece.

You still haven't asked anything, but here are some ideas of sizes:

Anything you want that fits in an 8x8x8" cube, with feature size approximately .1mm are achievable on pretty much any homebuilt machine with some tuning. I did a yoda at .1mm layer height on my halfassed Prusa, and have since upgraded and feel confident going to .04 layer height. X/Y feature size is approximately as fine-grained as layer height, depending on what tool you use to slice the 3d model.

If you develop your own 3d model generator to make models from sectional scans, you could probably tell it to tell your model slicer to use the same layer heights, proportionally. That is, if your "real" bone is 1m long and is sliced by the scanner at 10mm intervals, then you could print one 10cm long with a .1mm layer height, with no loss in resolution or data.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
More info from Mr. Veloso

Junior Veloso posted:

We are creating the indiegogo project, it is taking longer than we planned. It will be ready within next week... cheers

Hmm - I wonder what you get for funding the project...

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I made a parametric python/FreeCAD script for generating models of acoustic horns.

Here's the first horn being tested. And a video of it in action

The script can make lots of other fun shapes too, which are...not so printable

I'm still scheming up a plan to be able to create longer/folded horns which should amplify a larger range of frequencies and be easily printable.

Edit: Just published the script to thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19708

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 22, 2012

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Tad SG posted:

More info from Mr. Veloso

Hmm - I wonder what you get for funding the project...

:holy:

He said that kits start shipping 3 months after project funding, can't wait!

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
I think this would work pretty well for me after reading some of the thread again, especially since I want to just do some bones and skulls really.

Which of the printers would be the cheapest and still do really well (I'm a poor grad student)?

Also, how would I best go about converting a 2d image into something 3d?

Where can I start learning about using some of these drawing programs to make the images?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

SublimeDelusions posted:

I think this would work pretty well for me after reading some of the thread again, especially since I want to just do some bones and skulls really.

Which of the printers would be the cheapest and still do really well (I'm a poor grad student)?

Define 'really well'

quote:

Difficult, there is data missing. Either you need more 2d images from other directions to fill in the gaps of you need to create the 3d image from scratch. What are these 2d images you are starting from? Do they have sufficient detail?

quote:

Where can I start learning about using some of these drawing programs to make the images?

Download, start playing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Some examples of defining 'print really well' that would help people: try providing some images of things that you'd like to be able to crank out.

Such as:

I want to be able to make things better than (these)
I need to make exactly like (this)
I want close to (that) except for (this part)
or
(those things) are way more detailed/small than I'll ever need

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 22, 2012

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

SublimeDelusions posted:

Like I mentioned to George Zimmer above, you can see some free, live 3D modeling tutorials at Ponoko pretty regularly: http://support.ponoko.com/entries/20665743-upcoming-online-training-sessions

If you want to dive in and play, Autodesk's 123D is a good place to start on Windows, as is the web browser-based TinkerCAD.

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
Someone convince me that a mendel max is a terrible idea and i shouldnt build one...

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
Trying to figure out if I want to start building a huxley or a mendal. Does anybody here have a Huxley? How limited is the smaller build area? I plan on just messing around with thingverse items... I should be ok 90% of the time?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

devians posted:

Someone convince me that a mendel max is a terrible idea and i shouldnt build one...
It would only be a terrible idea if you have huge sausage fingers because you are going to slotting a ton of T-nuts. Some people are no longer fond of the A shape frames either. You don't have a lot of room for error in cutting the extrusions to length, so you need to be able to cut them with accuracy or just get em cut to length from Misumi.

However, for that you are going to get a machine that will be extremely easy to align and square up versus the Prusa. The thing will be rock solid and once you get it calibrated, you will probably never have to mess with most of it again. The extrusions are modular so you could theoretically use them in a future project or for prototyping other stuff if you move on to another design. Those aluminum extrusions(check out the black ones from Misumi!) will look very slick and impress everyone that sees it.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 22, 2012

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Some examples of defining 'print really well' that would help people: try providing some images of things that you'd like to be able to crank out.

Such as:

I want to be able to make things better than (these)
I need to make exactly like (this)
I want close to (that) except for (this part)
or
(those things) are way more detailed/small than I'll ever need

OK. I'm interested in 3D printing myself. It's literally a very limited replicator. I'm not interested in building BIG things, but I am interested in building very small quality things.

In the beginning of this thread, nearly a year and a half ago, these photos were posted as examples of what can be done.

quote:

edit2: wax printing at it's finest

First, I'd love to be able to print in metal. I'm sure these devices are not cheap in the least, but if I could make rings like that (I just paid $500 for a very similar ring) I could be very, very tempted to rush out and buy something very expensive.

Second, if I could do exactly that kind of wax/plastic printing at that kind of quality and detail for a reasonable price, I'd rush out and buy one right now. If it could be done under $10k, I'd do my best to round up some friends. I'm on the fence about a MakerBot purchase, my only problem is that everything that comes out of it seems to be very rough. I guess maybe you can sand them, but I'd love to just crank out wax lions or Cthulhus or even wax Jesuses for days on end.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm no expert on the subject but it sounds like we have very similar goals in 3D printers so I can at least relay what I've learned...

einTier posted:

First, I'd love to be able to print in metal. I'm sure these devices are not cheap in the least, but if I could make rings like that (I just paid $500 for a very similar ring) I could be very, very tempted to rush out and buy something very expensive.
Metal printing is possible, but the machines are hideously expensive. That being said, there are commercial printers out there that will happily print out your 3D design in metal for what seems to be a decent price.

quote:

Second, if I could do exactly that kind of wax/plastic printing at that kind of quality and detail for a reasonable price, I'd rush out and buy one right now. If it could be done under $10k, I'd do my best to round up some friends. I'm on the fence about a MakerBot purchase, my only problem is that everything that comes out of it seems to be very rough. I guess maybe you can sand them, but I'd love to just crank out wax lions or Cthulhus or even wax Jesuses for days on end.
From what I understand about the wax printers, they are capable of some crazy quality. However I think they are primarily aimed at people that do lost-wax casting to make metal masters (jewelers primarily). I don't think you'd be able to do much with the wax figures by themselves unless you were going to use them as masters for lost-wax casting.

Right now the home printers all seem to print in plastic (not counting the goon who prints in chocolate). The current king of detail seems to be the Ultimaker, capable of level heights of .04mm I believe. This should be more than enough to produce a level of detail that you see in those pictures you posted (though in plastic only).

There is also a resin printer that seems to be on the verge of being available for a home kit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snOErpOP5Xk). Personally I'm waiting to see this kit until I jump into 3D printing.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Rodney Chops posted:

Trying to figure out if I want to start building a huxley or a mendal. Does anybody here have a Huxley? How limited is the smaller build area? I plan on just messing around with thingverse items... I should be ok 90% of the time?

It's not very limiting at all. Many of the Thingiverse users are Makerbot users. The Huxley has a larger build area than a Makerbot.

einTier posted:

OK. I'm interested in 3D printing myself. It's literally a very limited replicator. I'm not interested in building BIG things, but I am interested in building very small quality things.

In the beginning of this thread, nearly a year and a half ago, these photos were posted as examples of what can be done.

Direct metal printing in the hobbyist price bracket (eg, less than $10,000) is basically impossible. Wax printing is possible using professional machines is possible, but if you could get the 10k together it could be done.

DIY style wax printers are still in their infancy.

You don't need wax to cast. Printed ABS or PLA parts are cleanly burnt out in aluminum casting.

Take a minute and look though these. They were printed on an ultimaker, which basically has the current best quality FDM plastic printer, it's under $2,000.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Aurium posted:

Direct metal printing in the hobbyist price bracket (eg, less than $10,000) is basically impossible. Wax printing is possible using professional machines is possible, but if you could get the 10k together it could be done.
I kind of figured as much. I didn't even know they were possible until I looked at this thread. Still, it's something to look forward to in the future!

quote:

You don't need wax to cast. Printed ABS or PLA parts are cleanly burnt out in aluminum casting.

Take a minute and look though these. They were printed on an ultimaker, which basically has the current best quality FDM plastic printer, it's under $2,000.
I don't really need to print in wax, it was just that that photo was the first I'd seen where I thought, "yes, this is exactly what I want out of a 3D printer." The Ultimaker seems better than the Makerbot, but it still looks like the quality isn't quite where I want it yet.

What I'm looking for is something that doesn't really look like it was printed at home and might have been bought in a store.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Could you not in theory print a master in plastic then use it to make a mold to cast wax pieces which you then cast in metal?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
From what some other users have said you can even use the plastic directly, i.e. a lost-plastic method instead of lost-wax, depending on how many you want to make and what quality.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

PLA supposedly will completely vaporize for lost wax style casting, you can skip the wax step.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
On lost plastic vs lost wax casting. If you do plastic master for a wax mold, you gain the ability to quickly crank out duplicates, printing takes longer vs filling a bunch of molds with wax. What you loose though is shape complexity as there are shapes out there that reusable molds simply cannot make. Basically, internal and some overlapping features. One big example is engine blocks, you need to make multiple sacrificial molds and join them up before casting to produce all the internal features.

For one offs, the only times I can think that a two step process would justify its effort is if you were casting something with a low melting point that it couldn't burn out the plastic, or if you had need of incredibly strict purity control. Even then you could do a conventional lost wax process and burn the plastic out in a separate firing.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Aurium posted:

The wax printing and resin printing machines we use for jewellery start at about 35,000 and go up to 60,000+. Getting jewellery quality (0.02mm-ish resolution x/y/z)is going to cost you well, well over 10k.

I actually just got a ring printed on a $50,000 light hardened resin machine and am picking it up tomorrow, i'll take some pictures!

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Claes Oldenburger posted:

The wax printing and resin printing machines we use for jewellery start at about 35,000 and go up to 60,000+. Getting jewellery quality (0.02mm-ish resolution x/y/z)is going to cost you well, well over 10k.

I actually just got a ring printed on a $50,000 light hardened resin machine and am picking it up tomorrow, i'll take some pictures!

I was looking at things like this. Their shop is down, but they have a selector that breaks products down into pricing tiers, sort of. Basically they put down the magic number as above or below 10k. I suppose 35-60k qualifies as above, just so far above as to make such a distinction a bit silly. Perhaps it isn't a jewelry quality printer though, or I'm reading too much into a dumb marketing thing. Probably the second.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Aurium posted:

I was looking at things like this. Their shop is down, but they have a selector that breaks products down into pricing tiers, sort of. Basically they put down the magic number as above or below 10k. I suppose 35-60k qualifies as above, just so far above as to make such a distinction a bit silly. Perhaps it isn't a jewelry quality printer though, or I'm reading too much into a dumb marketing thing. Probably the second.

If those could be under 10k that would be pretty amazing. Most jewellery quality printers i've seen are just so expensive. Also another reason why Juniors printer might be exactly what I want :D

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Ok, I finally learned how to do the image resizing to post things here, and I figure I'll post up the examples people asked me for when I was asking for advice on a printer. Since my interests are in paleontology, and I like to be able to see models of things when picturing things (I have a difficult time picturing it in my head if I haven't seen it before), I would like to make some small models of things.

In terms of size, I am thinking no single piece larger than a can of soda. In fact, most pieces would probably be smaller than that. However, if detail is needed to be kept, there's no problem scaling it up a little.

Some things have a lot of detail, other things don't. For example, here are the first two thoughts that came to mind:

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

SublimeDelusions posted:

Ok, I finally learned how to do the image resizing to post things here, and I figure I'll post up the examples people asked me for when I was asking for advice on a printer. Since my interests are in paleontology, and I like to be able to see models of things when picturing things (I have a difficult time picturing it in my head if I haven't seen it before), I would like to make some small models of things.

In terms of size, I am thinking no single piece larger than a can of soda. In fact, most pieces would probably be smaller than that. However, if detail is needed to be kept, there's no problem scaling it up a little.

Some things have a lot of detail, other things don't. For example, here are the first two thoughts that came to mind:
Thoughts?

If all you will be having to go on are 2d images then all you will actually be able to produce are 2d prints. This is not in and of itself a bad thing- but if your trying to produce 'instant dinosaur model, glue together bones and RARG' then I think you'll be pretty disappointed. If on the other hand you had say, a full CT scan of the bones in question, or a 3d model, then you could in fact produce a scaled version of the actual bone.

With source images like that your 3d printer will basically be able to do what a patient person with a bandsaw can do (See my own instructable: https://www.instructables.com/id/Create-wooden-objects-from-computer-printouts/ for what a finished product would look like; think plastic instead of wood)