Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Very weird. It's literally been 800 miles and a week and a half and I'm at three bars. I think I've filled up once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Very weird. I drove like 2k miles before losing the first bar on my current oil. Usually I lose the first block in a week of driving.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Am I being to anal and changing the oil every 4500 miles on my E60? I have the N62B48. I just rolled over 80,000 miles, I know it seems a little excessive, but I just want to protect my engine and make sure it lives for a while.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Am I being to anal and changing the oil every 4500 miles on my E60? I have the N62B48. I just rolled over 80,000 miles, I know it seems a little excessive, but I just want to protect my engine and make sure it lives for a while.

The next time you change your oil get it tested by Blackstone Labs and also pay up for the TBN test. If the TBN is good and there are no elevated levels of iron/bearing metals then you should by all means extend the change interval

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Short answer: yes.

With full synthetics an engine in good shape can generally run at least double that between changes, if not more. If you want to know exactly how your oil is doing and when you should be changing it, get it analyzed after changes by somewhere like Blackstone Labs. I guarantee that your oil is still perfectly fine after only 4500 miles, unless your engine has some serious issues.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

last 2 posters posted:

blackstone

Thanks. I figured I was being overly cautious. But again, 60 bucks in oil is cheaper than a brand new engine. Besides I plan on hanging on to this car for about 3 years then ditch it for something with a little more utility.

I just wish they made hitches for 5 series in the US. They have them in Europe, and my car could easily tow around a small boat. In a dream world, I would like a 535Xi wagon, with a hitch. Utility and ability to get around like an SUV, with the handling of a 5 series.

If I have to, its going to be an X5 4.8is I guess.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Thanks. I figured I was being overly cautious. But again, 60 bucks in oil is cheaper than a brand new engine. Besides I plan on hanging on to this car for about 3 years then ditch it for something with a little more utility.

I just wish they made hitches for 5 series in the US. They have them in Europe, and my car could easily tow around a small boat. In a dream world, I would like a 535Xi wagon, with a hitch. Utility and ability to get around like an SUV, with the handling of a 5 series.

If I have to, its going to be an X5 4.8is I guess.

Weird that they exist (in the US) for the three series but not the five series.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 22, 2012

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

CornHolio posted:

Weird that they exist (in the US) for the three series but not the five series.

Well duh, the posh folks in 5 series don't need to tow anything but us cool guys in 3 series need to tow jet skis, hot tubs, and mobile stripper stages.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You guys have gotta be loving making GBS threads me if you actually rely on those loving oil change gauges.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Fermunky posted:

Well duh, the posh folks in 5 series don't need to tow anything but us cool guys in 3 series need to tow jet skis, hot tubs, and mobile stripper stages.

I hate those guys. Us folk in 5 series like to have fun. Just happen to like a slightly car. Its those 7 series folks that don't want to have fun. But they are to busy spending money to keep their cars on the road.

Quick edit: Curt Hitches makes a hitch for the 5 series! Heck there is even one for the wagon. I see a nice black 535Xi wagon in the future.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

You guys have gotta be loving making GBS threads me if you actually rely on those loving oil change gauges.

No, I always change mine between 6k and 8k regardless. Usually the oil change gauge is somewhat close at least. It's suddenly acting differently than it ever has in the past, and that's what has me worried.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Quick edit: Curt Hitches makes a hitch for the 5 series! Heck there is even one for the wagon. I see a nice black 535Xi wagon in the future.

Seriously? God drat, gently caress those guys. (I work for a competitor)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Well maybe you guys should make a hitch for the 5 series!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

rscott posted:

Well maybe you guys should make a hitch for the 5 series!

I agree completely.

Now to get back to the Fiat 500 hitch design I'm working on :wtc:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So I basically have to decide TODAY which diff I want to use; 3.91 or 3.15, both LSD.

Currently I have the 3.91 open right now and it's a RIOT to drive but I can't hardly drive on the interstate at all. 80 is like 5k rpm or so. I have to either trade this dude for his 3.91 LSD or put my 3.15 LSD back in. Not sure what I want to do. According to my OBC my average speed in the last several thousand miles is around 20mph. I do almost all around-town driving where the low ratio is nice, but I do occasionally hop on the freeway, and occasionally like to take road trips. I am really in a quandary with this car. I can't decide which diff to go with, and both are completely different and will make the car drive completely different.

On a serious note though, the 3.91 is incredible.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I've noticed over the past few days that my driver's front dash speaker gets a little crackly here and there. Sometimes tapping or playing with the volume will clear it up but I don't know if it's ever perfect. Is this likely to be a shaky connection under the speaker or what? I don't know anything about car audio :\

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

So last week I went and bought an automatic E46 1999 323i. Here's a question; is it normal for there to be a soft (but deep) 'thump' when changing gears and moving off? It usually happens when I'm doing a three point turn and shifting from drive to reverse (or vice versa) or when getting changing into reverse from park to back out of a lock. I googled around and it seems it some people get that sound when the gears don't shift smoothly, and some get it because the brake pads shift (when the wheels are rotating one direction it gets shifted to that limit, then when the direction changes like when reversing it shifts to the other extreme). It only happens sometimes, and only after I release the brake (i.e only when the car starts to move) so I'm inclined to think it's the brake.

Only thing is I don't hear anything coming from the wheels with the windows down.. In fact I initially thought it was something loose in the boot rolling around. Any thoughts?

I'm going to send it for a full inspection and regular servicing on monday but I'm just curious..

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I've always been a big BMW fan. Recently I was offered a fairly sweet deal from what I understand, but I don't know much about pricing BMW's that are used.

Buddy of mine has a 2011 535i w/ 18,000 or so miles on it. He told me he'd sell it to me for $42K. Looking around sites like autotrader it seems like an awesome deal. His company technically owns the BMW, but he wants to get a new escalade because he misses his old one. The car is in perfect shape, garage kept and he has some guy detail it every couple weeks. It's been to the dealer a couple times for oil changes and check ups, but no major work. My fear is that if I buy it I'd get to around ~25,000 miles and need to replace the entire suspension or something.

Question is, would I be dumb for not buying it? I can afford it so that's not a problem.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

I've noticed over the past few days that my driver's front dash speaker gets a little crackly here and there. Sometimes tapping or playing with the volume will clear it up but I don't know if it's ever perfect. Is this likely to be a shaky connection under the speaker or what? I don't know anything about car audio :\

Dunno if its raining as much up in KC as it is down here lately but maybe the humidity is causing some problems?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

So last week I went and bought an automatic E46 1999 323i. Here's a question; is it normal for there to be a soft (but deep) 'thump' when changing gears and moving off?

This could be a couple things unrelated to the transmission. First and worst is the "subframe tearout" issue. This is where the floorpan over the rear subframe tears and causes clunking, terrible handling, and general sloppiness from the "extra independent" suspension.

See these resources:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8362789948066992482

Alternately and less horrifyingly, it could be the rear shock mounts (RSMs) which are merely worn and the sound you hear is the shock shaft shifting around. I would be positive my mechanic inspected both of these areas.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's a normal sound with manual BMWs, I guess the autos might make it too. I find E46s do it more often, but E36s do it as well.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
I think it is only "normal" for people like me who diff mounts are either on their way out or already gone.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Is it only with radio or CDs? I have it only on my radio so I'm going to re-do the antenna connection. CDs play perfect.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Unreal Fantasy posted:

im really not sure where this (build?) is going but i thought id test the waters in here first. so I've had this 1969 2002 for around a year and finally decided to do something about it. I have been accumulating parts, some in the pictures some not, and tomorrow the car is going to the shop space where it will be wrenched on and "restored". I will be keeping the M10 in it but i have a '83 320i 5 speed coming to swap with the stock transmission. as for the interior there were some newer 3 series front seats that have been removed and i have (pictured) some stock navy seats. well ill try and keep this updated with the progress.

Yessssss, I want to see this thread. I'm almost done an M42 swap into mine.
Are you going to do the Volvo brake upgrade? You'll be able to fit them once you have the bottlecaps on it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

thebushcommander posted:

I've always been a big BMW fan. Recently I was offered a fairly sweet deal from what I understand, but I don't know much about pricing BMW's that are used.

Buddy of mine has a 2011 535i w/ 18,000 or so miles on it. He told me he'd sell it to me for $42K. Looking around sites like autotrader it seems like an awesome deal. His company technically owns the BMW, but he wants to get a new escalade because he misses his old one. The car is in perfect shape, garage kept and he has some guy detail it every couple weeks. It's been to the dealer a couple times for oil changes and check ups, but no major work. My fear is that if I buy it I'd get to around ~25,000 miles and need to replace the entire suspension or something.

Question is, would I be dumb for not buying it? I can afford it so that's not a problem.

The warranty should cover for another 3 years, or 50,000 miles. The new 5 series are decent cars but they feel WAY more numb than the E60 and older generations. But if your looking for a highway cruiser that can handle a few twisties when pushed, do it. So far though, the newer 5's are great cars, and the turbo 6 will scoot a heavy car down the road quick and yet pull some nice MPG's.

Between 80-100K miles is when you should expect to outlay cash for suspension refresh and cooling system problems. That is a generalization though, but it seems when most of us experience replacing things. Of course that depends on driving habits, road conditions, and so forth.

I would feel like down grading going from a 5'er to an Escalade. FWIW My ex-in law's all owned Escalades, and thought my E39 was "classy" and "How can you afford it" even though it was 7 years older than their SUVs.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Man I hope it is (was?) fast because that's the worst implementation of the kidneys I've seen yet...

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's like BMW engineers were trying to make a racecar that resembled StrongSad

Strong Sad by fboosman, on Flickr

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

rscott posted:

Dunno if its raining as much up in KC as it is down here lately but maybe the humidity is causing some problems?

It's been rain for like 5 days straight. I've noticed that today it's drier and the problem seems less severe.

Bank posted:

Is it only with radio or CDs? I have it only on my radio so I'm going to re-do the antenna connection. CDs play perfect.

I don't know, mine has the CD-changer in the trunk, but it didn't come with a cartridge and I've never bought one :\ I did try it through a tape adapter and my iPhone and it still had the same problem.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Rnr posted:

Man I hope it is (was?) fast because that's the worst implementation of the kidneys I've seen yet...

It won Le Mans in 1999, so yes, it's fast.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Anyone put a DICE MediaBridge kit in their E46? Good/bad experiences? Other better alternatives?

I know it's kind of expensive ($234 from BSW), but the nice clean plug-and-play and well-integrated install with the factory headunit and steering wheel controls would be worth it to me. I'm plenty happy with the HK sound system in the car, I just wish the iPod control wasn't so janky and having bluetooth would be a nice addition especially now with a phone that has halfway decent voice control.

Dirrty
Oct 7, 2002

Guinness posted:

Anyone put a DICE MediaBridge kit in their E46? Good/bad experiences? Other better alternatives?

I know it's kind of expensive ($234 from BSW), but the nice clean plug-and-play and well-integrated install with the factory headunit and steering wheel controls would be worth it to me. I'm plenty happy with the HK sound system in the car, I just wish the iPod control wasn't so janky and having bluetooth would be a nice addition especially now with a phone that has halfway decent voice control.

I installed the Bluetooth MediaBridge kit in my e83 and have loved it so far. The bluetooth can be tinny at times, but I think it may be the iPhone. I had it up and running within minutes, disconnected the battery, plugged it in, reconnected the battery and was good to go.

It's really nice having the song information on the factory stereo as well as the function of steering wheel controls.

Unreal Fantasy
Oct 18, 2004

McMadCow posted:

Yessssss, I want to see this thread. I'm almost done an M42 swap into mine.
Are you going to do the Volvo brake upgrade? You'll be able to fit them once you have the bottlecaps on it.

do you have a thread somewhere for your car? I will be keeping the m10 for now, maybe some upgrades to make it a bit more fun. the agenda for now is the 5 speed conversion, remove the rust and fix the body. and get the stock interior in. here is a photo of the car before it went to the shop space and the exhaust that came today:

as for the brakes i believe i will be using wilwood brakes as well as a suspension upgrade.

Unreal Fantasy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 24, 2012

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Unreal Fantasy posted:

do you have a thread somewhere for your car?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3443970

good to the last drop. Which is coming some time in the unknown future.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I've been bequeathed this 323i Estate. I know almost nowt about cars, but I do really like this, it's quick compared to what I'm used to and I'm loving how solid and relatively quiet it is inside. It's a vague question, but is there anything I should be aware of or keep on top of with this? It's got 230k on the clock, so I doubt it'll be around forever, but I'd like to keep it going for as long as I can.

The fan system blows really, really weakly, even when set to full (but it makes a load of blower noise) so I assume something is clogged somewhere - is that an easy fix or does it fall into the realm of too much effort to be worth it?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

echoplex posted:

The fan system blows really, really weakly, even when set to full (but it makes a load of blower noise) so I assume something is clogged somewhere - is that an easy fix or does it fall into the realm of too much effort to be worth it?
That's a pretty nice bequeathing. Sounds like your cabin air filter is all dirty and clogged. I don't know what the installation is like on an E36, but it shouldn't be that hard, and the filter is like $20.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I've had a MarkD chip in my E30 (M20B27 325e) for a few years running 91 octane. I'm prepping the car to drive 2200 miles in 2 months and I can't find the original chip to put back in to run 87 for the drive (just to help with gas costs). What could go wrong if I run 87 in my car if its chipped to run 91? Pretty sure this car is too old to have any knock sensor capabilities but I could be wrong.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

two_beer_bishes posted:

I've had a MarkD chip in my E30 (M20B27 325e) for a few years running 91 octane. I'm prepping the car to drive 2200 miles in 2 months and I can't find the original chip to put back in to run 87 for the drive (just to help with gas costs). What could go wrong if I run 87 in my car if its chipped to run 91? Pretty sure this car is too old to have any knock sensor capabilities but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure about the chip, but you know the difference in gas will be under $20, right?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

I'm not sure about the chip, but you know the difference in gas will be under $20, right?

Simple math eludes me once again.

LifelongFan
Dec 25, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Pulled the trigger on it. F30 328i sedan, sport package. It's loving awesome.

After driving a beater for the last 10 years, holy poo poo.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
The F30 front end is so angry -- I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Nice car, but its still crazy how big the 3-series has become.