Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Snowdens Secret posted:

This kinda got skipped over.

You can use a garden hose / soapy water like a car, but remember there's a lot of loose parts / wiring / intake ports exposed on a bike that will be buried on a car. So be careful how you spray. If you get the chain wet you'll need to lube it again. Also keep in mind your bike will be very slick after washing - particularly tires and brakes - so after you ride through the bikini carwash, take care not to drop it ten feet past the last cheerleader.

I generally use the Honda bike cleaning spray instead. Spray dirty parts, let sit for a minute or two, wipe & buff with an old t-shirt. You have to be more diligent hitting the hard-to-reach areas with this (particularly on the wheels / around the rear shock) so I still take mine to get hosed at the bikini car wash once in a blue moon.

If your bike has a lot of chrome or a leather seat or something it'll require extra care. Also, don't forget to clean your helmet and visor / condition your leather gear every now and then.

Thanks. I picked up some all in one clean/polish/wax and went over the plastics with it. I also picked up some wheel cleaner to hit it with. I think I'm gonna need a toothbrush and a free afternoon to do it right, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Relocated the starter relay to the top of the battery box, and eliminated ~3 feet of battery cable. Hooray for reliable starting!

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Wow now I know what the random exhaust I have goes to. Some guy included it when I bought a bike last year and I never knew what it was for.
LeoVince makes the 70 to fit all sorts of scooters, but if you live in the US, it's probably for a Minarelli-powered scooter. The one I have is for a Yamaha Zuma, so only one of the mounting bracket bolts lines up. The first one I ordered showed up without any hardware, meaning no flange either. That sucked.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I made the bike alive! For the first time since 1980! How's that for Honda reliability? :woop: :parrot: :woop:

Got the bolts I needed, finally. Put the cases back on with new gaskets. Filled it up with fresh oil. Reinstalled the clean carbs and air filters. Made myself a ghetto gas tank out of a Gatorade bottle and some hot-glued vinyl hoses. Kicked it and messed with the choke for about two minutes -- it made a few coughs and rumbles and then all of a sudden VROOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ougTYL7tQ-g

(don't mind the ratcheting sound just after it starts...the main pegs were detached so I left my foot on the kicker by accident)

I need to tune it, obviously; the idle is a little high (but rock solid), the upper exhaust is putting out more pressure than the lower, and it smells like it's running rich...but I guess I got the carbs dialed in pretty close cause it doesn't seem to stumble or judder or anything like that. This is the first time I've bought a completely non-running vehicle and made it go again, so suffice it to say, I am EXTREMELY HAPPY.

:woop:

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Put on a +2 rear sprocket and took for a test drive. Its pretty drat nice actually.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

GanjamonII posted:

Put on a +2 rear sprocket and took for a test drive. Its pretty drat nice actually.

That thing has to be a wheelie monster now right?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Sagebrush posted:

I made the bike alive!

Reanimation rules. Well done.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I swapped my rotors and sprocket over from my 17" rims. Whoever put the sprocket on was an idiot. I think they may have used an impact wrench because they were absolutely fused. I used heat and everything else in my tool box to no avail. I finally said gently caress it and ripped'em off with vicegrips.

I have to order new rotors and another sprocket for my street rims now, but the D606's should last the 2 weeks from tomorrow until I get paid. I also installed my moose fender-bag, but it's empty right now. I'll be picking up spoons and tubes soonish too.

Should I consider different dirt tires or should I stick with D606's for the next set? Once I've got the street wheels set up they'll be doing weekday duty and the dirt wheels will only see weekend use. Whatever I get needs to be able to survive 40-50 mile rides on pavement to the trail heads.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Swapped out my cheap, chunky, lovely Taiwanese made LED flasher 'relay' for an even cheaper, yet smaller and noticeably less lovely Chinese made one.

The Taiwanese one would flash the indicators, but not as brightly as it could, wouldn't flash the indicator light on my guages and to top it off would get flakey when the bike was revved (apparently they spec'ed it for 12.8v AND NOT A MILLIVOLT OVER).

In short; China rules, Taiwan drools.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 22, 2012

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

invision posted:

That thing has to be a wheelie monster now right?

I haven't tried yet but it was noticeably quicker so I suspect ill be doing 'accidental' power wheelies quite often now...

but actually it smoothed it out a little at lower rpm made it nicer to tool around on in general.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Detailed the bike after a couple of birds decided to mark their territory from the sky.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That black and gold looks fantastic :allears:

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks! I wasn't sure how they were going to turn out when I ordered them but despite the small crack pictured that was an easy fix they turned out flawless. Almost no problems fitting, nice strong clear coat, no fading or bubbles, ect.

Hard to believe their eBay fairings. :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

That made me remember http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWF-hH1nloo

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

That made me remember http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWF-hH1nloo

One day I'll own a 240 with an engine swap and that paint job.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I swapped my rotors and sprocket over from my 17" rims. Whoever put the sprocket on was an idiot. I think they may have used an impact wrench because they were absolutely fused. I used heat and everything else in my tool box to no avail. I finally said gently caress it and ripped'em off with vicegrips.

I have to order new rotors and another sprocket for my street rims now, but the D606's should last the 2 weeks from tomorrow until I get paid. I also installed my moose fender-bag, but it's empty right now. I'll be picking up spoons and tubes soonish too.

Should I consider different dirt tires or should I stick with D606's for the next set? Once I've got the street wheels set up they'll be doing weekday duty and the dirt wheels will only see weekend use. Whatever I get needs to be able to survive 40-50 mile rides on pavement to the trail heads.

Is the stock SM gearing not very tall for those wheels? You're probably better off buying a bigger rear sprocket and longer chain to suit it and swapping back and forth

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

echomadman posted:

Is the stock SM gearing not very tall for those wheels? You're probably better off buying a bigger rear sprocket and longer chain to suit it and swapping back and forth

I'm running a 14t front sprocket, it's nice on the low end. I don't mind a lower top end, I found today it'll do 75, but was really shaky/rough. It's been awhile since I've been on knobbies though and I think that's just the tires not liking high speed. I don't do slab, just local roads and these wheels will become hot swappable in 2 weeks. As it stands I'm happy with it's power, like I've said before I'm a retard with speed.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Agreed, but it needs a JPS decal in gold to finish it off.

The only colour scheme cooler than Gulf or Repsol.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Sorry bra, I think the Gulf paint job owns everything. It's awesome.:allears:

It's ok, bro. It's cool you can talk about your mental illness openly, you're an inspiration.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 22, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

ReelBigLizard posted:

Sorry bra, I think the Gulf paint job owns everything. It's awesome.:allears:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

Indeed. It was so cool that it made my dad take up smoking for a while in the 70s just so that he could smoke John Player Specials.

I'd imagine an octogenarian ex-ad man sitting on his porch somewhere just felt a strange sense of satisfaction wash over him.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I installed a new one-way clutch that actually fit my crank shaft and discovered that the kick start mechanism is too worn down now to reach it. Time to order more crap.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stripped all the damaged paint off the gas tank -- chemical stripper really is mindblowing. It's like xenomorph blood or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ERMF0fEgNE

I kind of like the look of the bare steel underneath. Is there some kind of wax or sealant that I can use to keep it rust-free, provided that I keep up with applying it, or is the only option a full-on clearcoat?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

Stripped all the damaged paint off the gas tank -- chemical stripper really is mindblowing. It's like xenomorph blood or something

I kind of like the look of the bare steel underneath. Is there some kind of wax or sealant that I can use to keep it rust-free, provided that I keep up with applying it, or is the only option a full-on clearcoat?

clearcoat doesn't stick to bare metal all that well. It'll end up flaking off and looking like poo poo.

Maybe just keep it clean and oil it regularly? I dunno...

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Apparently there is such a thing as clear powdercoat.

Edit: Be careful with the paint stripper:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6107a2.htm?s_cid=mm6107a2_w

quote:

Methylene chloride primarily is absorbed via inhalation, although it also is absorbed effectively by intact skin. To protect against skin absorption, butyl rubber or polyvinyl alcohol gloves must be worn; latex gloves like those used in the case described in this report will not protect against skin absorption. Methylene chloride is metabolized to formaldehyde and carbon monoxide (6,7) and is categorized as a carcinogen (8).

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 25, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, all the haloalkanes are relatively bad for you, but I wear nitrile gloves and a VOC respirator when working with this kind of stuff. Mostly because paint stripper burns like hell when you get it on bare skin. I'm not sure what causes that, exactly, since (from experience) regular dichloromethane doesn't burn, it just feels very cold as it rapidly evaporates.

It's good to protect yourself, and none of these chemicals will do you any good over a lifetime, but the acute toxicity in most cases does get blown a little out of proportion. CH2Cl2 is about as bad for you as gasoline, which everyone inhales plenty of whenever they're filling up their car...

(But don't let it get anywhere near a source of intense UV, like an electric welding arc! It will decompose into phosgene and then you'll be REALLY hosed)

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

There are options like clear powdercoat and 2-component automotive clearcoats, but they'll both flake off in a few years depending on your climate.

I think that's part of the reason people invented chrome plating and zinc coating for bare metal looks.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Mostly because paint stripper burns like hell when you get it on bare skin. I'm not sure what causes that, exactly, since (from experience) regular dichloromethane doesn't burn, it just feels very cold as it rapidly evaporates.

I'll take a look at an MSDS when I get to work tomorrow but a quick googling tells me most strippers contain potassium hydroxide which would explain the burning as it melts away any skin it comes in contact with.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So this weekend was a working weekend in my buddies garage. He had just gotten his Evo back from getting a top end rebuild and chrome/powder coat so he wanted to finally tear down the VT800 we had bought in January.

Saturday was tear down day. That Honda is hysterical. The actual backbone is an airbox... loving crazy. So we decided to cut out the entire backbone, the rear part of the frame, the swing arm axle and the rear engine mount. Basically the only original frame parts will be the neck, the front downtubes and 2/3 of the bottom rails.

After that we will weld in a new backbone, a single seat post, attach the rear engine mounts to that, hard tail the back end and add a cross bar to the bottom to mount the single seat post to.

Once the frame is done we will rejet the carbs, set up new intakes, mount a frisco style sporty tank, change the bike over to gravity feed instead of a fuel pump, fab up new exhaust, fab up a rear fender, run new internal wiring, get a solo seat and new bars. Probably run an internal throttle as well to keep the bars clean. It needs a new headlight (where we will put the indicator lights for brights, nuetral and temp) and be pretty much done.

Here she was at the end of saturday

Sunday we took off the front forks and put her up on the work table, and she sits like that for now.

Another fun project was a cluster gently caress of stupid as my buddy decided Saturday night while drunk to change out the bent tubes from his narrowglide set to a new set of tubes. How he hosed this one upo is beyond me but he ended up mixing and matching parts and they got all out of whack. In the end we had to disassemble 4 sets of forks, find out which parts were good, reassmble a good pair of forks out of the entire cluster of poo poo parts and at the end of this 2 hours he had put his together incorrectly as it there was an extra little spring sitting on the table.

I said gently caress forks lets do something else. So we built a new taillight bracket for my bike and I grabbed the new seat pan I bought, set it on the anvil, got it hot as poo poo and reshaped a nice new lip on the back of it to hold my rear end in it better. Then we cut out the exisiting bolts and welded on new bolts for the mounting brackets we had built on my bike. Its much more comfortable now to ride. Except the fact that Im riding on a bare metal seat pan, which you get used to after a while. Im going to have a guy I know upholster it since he is really good and cut me a deal. I dont have any pics of the new seat but I will add some tonight.

All in all an awesome weekend in the garage except for the whole aircraft paint stripper fiasco where it somehow got on my face. That poo poo really hurts.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Changed the front brake pads and bled the DOT4 on the Ulysses. Its times like that I love having a single caliper in front. In fact, there are no times that I dislike the single ZTL.

e: no replies yet, might as well not stack mine.

Took it for a spin with the new pads in last night so I could warm up the primary fluid in preparation for draining it. I opted for some softer compound street pads and they are nice and quiet and have a good progressive feel. Bike rides like a dream.

Drained and replaced the primary case fluid. Didn't notice any shavings on the drain bolt, that's pretty nice. Based on the condition of the oil in there, I'd guess the PO replaced it some time in the last 6 months.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 27, 2012

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
First entry in the Used Bike Blues: My recently purchased Tiger 1050 stranded me at the liquor store due to a dead battery. It's my own drat fault -- the guy who sold it to me warned about the battery and it had been occasionally reluctant to start these past few days but I just blew it off, thinking a solid few hours in the saddle ought to charge that sucker up good as new. I was incorrect. It's a four-year-old battery that probably went long stretches without use (the PO has a garage full of bikes). Better to replace it now than trickle-charge it up and hope it doesn't fail me when I'm far more than half a mile from home.

Now I have a brand-new battery that drat well better not leave me marooned. :mad:

Next entry in the Used Bike Blues will probably have something to do with my rear brakes, because the rear ABS is giving me some attitude.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Speaking of trickle charging. How long should a bike be sitting around to need a battery tender put on it?

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Nitramster posted:

Speaking of trickle charging. How long should a bike be sitting around to need a battery tender put on it?

I'd say if it's more than the incidental week or 2. I always throw it on over winter, but I've let it sit while on vacation or something during riding season and never had a problem.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

deliverator posted:

First entry in the Used Bike Blues: My recently purchased Tiger 1050 stranded me at the liquor store due to a dead battery.

How hard is it to bump-start something like that?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

deliverator posted:

First entry in the Used Bike Blues: My recently purchased Tiger 1050 stranded me at the liquor store due to a dead battery. It's my own drat fault -- the guy who sold it to me warned about the battery and it had been occasionally reluctant to start these past few days but I just blew it off, thinking a solid few hours in the saddle ought to charge that sucker up good as new. I was incorrect. It's a four-year-old battery that probably went long stretches without use (the PO has a garage full of bikes). Better to replace it now than trickle-charge it up and hope it doesn't fail me when I'm far more than half a mile from home.

Now I have a brand-new battery that drat well better not leave me marooned. :mad:

Next entry in the Used Bike Blues will probably have something to do with my rear brakes, because the rear ABS is giving me some attitude.

If you have a multimeter its probably worth double checking that the charging circuit is working ok.
here's a handy pdf
http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Sagebrush posted:

How hard is it to bump-start something like that?

I dunno if the Tiger is fuel injected, but FI bikes are harder to bump start because the fuel pump does need some power to get started.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Changed oil & filter, air filter, cleaned up my VL800. Who the hell thought up the air filter & assembly? It's utter nonsense.
Went for a little spin, until I realised I forgot my new pink sheet at the house.
This isn't much, but I haven't touched the bike since I moved last September. I just didn't have the time last fall. Also, this is the first time doing my own oil change on this bike.
And it was as awesome as it could have ever been.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
Installed some bar-end mirrors and removed the front bikini fairing. Now she's starting to look like a proper streetfighter.

Incidentally, I dropped her two days ago (fluke mistake, I lost my footing while walking her around my driveway). A bent rear brake lever and broken front lever were a perfect excuse to drop :10bux: on the Rizoma rearsets, new Rizoma bars and CRG levers.

Fixed Gear Guy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 30, 2012

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro

orthod0ks posted:

I dunno if the Tiger is fuel injected, but FI bikes are harder to bump start because the fuel pump does need some power to get started.

I'm assuming fuel injection as it has no choke. :confused: I considered trying that trick anyway but I couldn't think of a feasible way of getting it to a hill, and anyway I didn't want to screw around with it during rush hour traffic.

What a logistics hassle. Park the bike out of the way, pop out the battery, walk home, get my jeep, drive to buy a new battery, go home and charge it a couple hours, drive back to the bike, install the battery and make sure it works, ride the bike home, walk back to my jeep.

The new battery seems to be doing its job although it didn't catch the first time this morning. I note that the user's manual recommends a thorough service at 12k miles; I bought it at 11k and change. Guess I'll have them take a good long look at the charging system and all that while they have it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Installed some bar-end mirrors and removed the front bikini fairing. Now she's starting to look like a proper streetlighter.

Incidentally, I dropped her two days ago (fluke mistake, I lost my footing while walking her around my driveway). A bent rear brake lever and broken front lever were a perfect excuse to drop :10bux: on the Rizoma rearsets, new Rizoma bars and CRG levers.

Oh...oh, that's nice.

Been trying to decide between CRG and Pazzo levers myself.

Mcqueen fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

Mcqueen posted:

Oh...oh, that's nice.

Been trying to decide between CRG and Pazzo levers myself.

Thanks! I honestly think it's a tie, but I got a better deal on the CRG roll-a-clicks. You just wait and see in two weeks when I have the Rizoma rear sets (and get rid of those huge wings for the passenger pegs), the new Motodynamics sequential integrated taillight, and an updated front-end. poo poo's going to be so cash. :whatup: