Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

TollTheHounds posted:

I live in Richmond and all I really found that was close by were 2 places:

Apex is in Richmond, and offers Muay Thai classes. I cant speak to the level of MT training, as MT isn't my thing, but the instructors train at my BJJ gym and are all really cool people. I'm told the facilities are real nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The gently caress is with $50 shorts. What sort of moisture wicking or under armor magical powers could they have?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Christoff posted:

The gently caress is with $50 shorts. What sort of moisture wicking or under armor magical powers could they have?

Some of them have stretch panels for kicking/grappling applications. Most have special velcro covers to keep the drawstrings enclosed so you don't catch a finger. And a lot of margin built in.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Pants with stretch panels are really cool, it feels like you're wearing a skirt, which is great for kicking high, or high flexibility guard stuff.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Just get some sweet thai shorts and wear them everywhere

I want a new ball-protector. I got kicked in the nuts twice in 30 seconds today when sparring. My current cup is a $20 plastic thing that fits fairly badly. Any suggestions for something better?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think this is the one I've got: http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/core-compression-short-with-bioflex-cup.aspx

The cup/compression short combos feel pretty good. There are quite a few others to choose from: http://www.shockdoctor.com/products/compression-shorts.aspx and http://www.shockdoctor.com/products/cups-supporters.aspx

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Ok, here's a small write up of what I would look for in a muay thai school. Keeping in mind I am a trainer located in Berlin, but I do fight and train fighters and have visited lots of schools to see the competition.

1. Do they fight? You can probably rule out a ton of schools just by answering this question. Sure there are some that are pretty good and don't fight, but those are rare. Think about what organizations they fight in. Look at the style of their fighters, they should be on youtube. Don't put too much stock into the records of fighters, as there's a ton of stuff that can influence that. But do look into how often they fight. You'd rather a school that searches for a fight per month than a fight per year. On the other hand, you don't want a fight dog school, so see that they fight in reputable leagues/galas/events, not some home-made ring in jimbo's basement.

2. What are the requirements for fighting? Some gyms churn through a ton of newbies in order to find natural fighters. This is not good. Don't let a gym throw you into your first fight after a year, or even worse, 4 months (my first fight). Even if you win, due to inexperience you can still embarrass the poo poo out of yourself and the gym. And even worse, a lot of people who do have potential, who could become good fighters are turned off by their first fight, and will never come back. It's a huge loving mental step, your first fight. Your coach should be able to make a judgment call and tell you when you're ready, evaluating your skills, your physical health, and your mental preparedness. Don't be pressured into fighting, but you should fight at every opportunity you are able to. So basically, if they have any sort of chart, ranking system, or structure, they're probably just another McGym. Each fighter should be evaluated individually, there's no magical criteria fighters need to hit.

3. How do they hold pads? Pad holding is a huge huge huge part of training. More than anything, this should be a big indicator of how good a gym is. Do they hold pads at all? Do they hold only a little bit? Does only the trainer hold pads? Do the beginners actively try to learn to hold pads? Everyone everywhere should be learning to hold pads and practicing as much as they can. There are also individual styles to pad holding that you should consider, just like fighting. One thing you want to avoid in EVERY case is pad holders who move the pads away. A good pad holder should be smacking the poo poo out of every attack you throw, coming to meet your limbs with the pads, not moving the pads away so you hyperextend. It's really really rare to meet a good pad holder, and when you do, HOLD ONTO THEM FOR LIFE.

Basically, those are the three main things I would look for. Be wary of gyms with ranking systems such as belts or titles that you can 'earn' (other than by participating in fights). Muay Thai's ultimate goal is not a title. It is a perfection of the body and technique that will never be attainable.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Guilty posted:

Pad holding

I feel this pain intensely. At our place we do a lot of pair exercise holding the palms of our gloves as focus mitts of a sort. You need a small and dynamic group to do proper pad work and a 20 person group of fitness people isn't one but anyway asdfQAR#RQF. You can give a solid slap against a strike even holding a glove - and right after trying to teach people how to punch the next most difficult thing is trying to teach them how to hold your gloves as "points".

So I've taken it to explain to every new basic course I instruct that holding pads/gloves for your partner is a SKILL like PUNCHING or KICKING and to be a GOOD TRAINING PARTNER you have to LEARN THAT SKILL as well. You can't just flop your mitts in the air one meter to the side of your head and except your partner to get any decent training.

It's haaaard. Teaching how to smack against an attack seems to be as hard as teaching how to throw a relaxed, powerful strike.

People are not only afraid of hurting themselves when they learn basic evasions and blocks or taking a light punch, they are terrified the sloppy arm punch their partner throws will somehow - and I don't know how - punch through the glove and knock their teeth out. (Remember guys I've been instructing a lot of complete beginners, guys who do sports but have never done an MA, computer nerds err that's actually me, 140 lbs girls, women who've done mostly aerobics before. And at least for this type of general human population holding mitts/pads seems to be just as horrifying as getting punched.)

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Guilty posted:

One thing you want to avoid in EVERY case is pad holders who move the pads away. A good pad holder should be smacking the poo poo out of every attack you throw, coming to meet your limbs with the pads, not moving the pads away so you hyperextend. It's really really rare to meet a good pad holder, and when you do, HOLD ONTO THEM FOR LIFE.

You don't need to smack the poo poo out of every attack, as long as there's enough resistance to avoid getting pushed back you're doing your job imo. The most common mistake I see is people holding them (especially true for thai pads) at shoulder width or even wider. Pads are supposed to simulate the head and wide pad placement leads to lovely brawling punch technique.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Paul Pot posted:

You don't need to smack the poo poo out of every attack, as long as there's enough resistance to avoid getting pushed back you're doing your job imo.

You might as well do bag work. Pads simulate resistance and live sparring a lot better by offering strong resistance.

Look at how Freddie Roach holds the pads here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtPrauFE9SM
Always coming to meet Pacqiao's strikes before they hit the pads

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
My favourite part of pad work is whenever anyone forgets to keep their guard up to bop them on the side of the head quickly with the pad (we are mostly beginners) It's annoying however that they find it so hard to return the favour.

Also that guy's punches are really really fast.

Guilty posted:

Part of the reason why is because you can really only block serious kicks from a broad stance. If your opponent throws a hard kick and you have a linear stance, you're going to get turned, or even worse, tripped up.

The other part is that a good kick will actually bring the body forward, not necessarily rotate it (this is dumb, because it will of course rotate, but the rotation is more of a side effect than the intended effect). Although it doesn't seem like it, muay thai hips are supposed to go straight forward (like boxing punches), not rotate around an axis. If axis rotation were all that were required for power, Capoiera would be famous for its kicking power (it's not). There's a drill we sometimes do where you just throw knees (straight forward) and if your opponent is out of range, you need to be able to turn it into a kick. The power should barely be variable.

I think I had a gut understanding of this but I'd never fully thought it through, I meanof course you are moving the body forward, spinning on the spot doesn't help at all. Thanks for putting it a pretty easy to understand fashion. Also thanks to kimbo305 and Syphilis Fish it makes a lot more sense now.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Guilty posted:

You might as well do bag work. Pads simulate resistance and live sparring a lot better by offering strong resistance.

Look at how Freddie Roach holds the pads here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtPrauFE9SM
Always coming to meet Pacqiao's strikes before they hit the pads

Ya, that's what I mean by offering enough resistance to avoid getting pushed back. "Smacking the poo poo out of every strike" is what this guy is doing and it's pretty dumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIxPPEYeJAg

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
What is the consensus on Dutch Kickboxing?

I know generally about the style, and that a lot of bigger names in MMA from the Netherlands have trained it. I get the impression one of the reasons for this is that they don't train elbows, which aren't allowed in most MMA competitions anyway.

The other gym I'm considering looks pretty serious ( http://dynamicmma.com/ ) - their own MMA team comprised of people trained at their gym from the beginning, the gym itself looks huge and fully stocked - their own Octagon, tons of mat space, full beginner program, seems they go to fights every few months etc.

The only catch is they only have a MT class once a week, the rest of the time it's this Dutch style. I don't know why but I find myself hesitant to try a non-traditional kickboxing style, though I'm not sure why, maybe I just don't know enough about it.

The things is, I don't really plan to compete, I just want to have fun/get in even better shape. I still want the best training I can get though, and this place seems much more organized than the smaller local place.

The downside of the small place I've been to is I am the only person 6'+, so my partners even though we do pad training etc, are all no joke, almost a foot shorter than me even though I'm only 6'2". So they can't really hold the pads properly it seems like - especially for punches, and it's really awkward for me to hold the pads down for them. I'm thinking maybe a bigger pool will leave me more varied sizes of training partners.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

TollTheHounds posted:

What is the consensus on Dutch Kickboxing?

I know generally about the style, and that a lot of bigger names in MMA from the Netherlands have trained it. I get the impression one of the reasons for this is that they don't train elbows, which aren't allowed in most MMA competitions anyway.

The other gym I'm considering looks pretty serious ( http://dynamicmma.com/ ) - their own MMA team comprised of people trained at their gym from the beginning, the gym itself looks huge and fully stocked - their own Octagon, tons of mat space, full beginner program, seems they go to fights every few months etc.

The only catch is they only have a MT class once a week, the rest of the time it's this Dutch style. I don't know why but I find myself hesitant to try a non-traditional kickboxing style, though I'm not sure why, maybe I just don't know enough about it.

The things is, I don't really plan to compete, I just want to have fun/get in even better shape. I still want the best training I can get though, and this place seems much more organized than the smaller local place.

The downside of the small place I've been to is I am the only person 6'+, so my partners even though we do pad training etc, are all no joke, almost a foot shorter than me even though I'm only 6'2". So they can't really hold the pads properly it seems like - especially for punches, and it's really awkward for me to hold the pads down for them. I'm thinking maybe a bigger pool will leave me more varied sizes of training partners.

Dutch kickboxing is better than muay thai if youre a taller guy. I'm not really sure what else youre asking but dutch kickboxing isnt 'non-traditional' its barely different from muay thai and its what most guys train nowadays

Hyperdermic Needle
Oct 24, 2010

swagger like us posted:

In about a few months, I may be cleared to get back into grappling after over a year off due to multiple shoulder dislocations. I had my surgery in december, so in theory it should be a-ok to get back in BJJ/MMA/Muay Thai.

My worry, is I've developed quite an apparent risk aversion with my arm. I still cringe at lifting my arm above my head, and any thought of a kimura or american on my left arm immediately makes me shudder. Obviously, im still a few months into my rehab, and in theory the strengthening should remove some of my mental aspects, but is there any other advice on how to slowly work back into it? I'm just worried that I'll start and I'm going to aversely effect my grappling and striking because I am severely scared of dislocating it again. I dislocated 4 times, 2 times actually grappling, and the second time was severely painful. I've also had dreams of dislocations, then waking up in a serious sweat. Its one of the scariest thoughts in my mind now after its happened. It doesn't help that my friends and bosses at work keep trying to dissuade me from continuing on because of the inherent dangers in training martial arts (despite the fact that I am in this posn not because of martial arts, but because I went back too soon after what should have been a 4mth recovery.)

Any tricks or ideas on how I should approach restarting my training?

Oh god, this. I dislocated my shoulder 1.5 years ago in a hard throw, got surgery for it last September after it kept dislocating like 20 times, and now I have this mental block where whenever I watch a judo video or even a martial arts fight scene, I loving cringe and get pretty agitated.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Dutch kickboxing is better than muay thai if youre a taller guy. I'm not really sure what else youre asking but dutch kickboxing isnt 'non-traditional' its barely different from muay thai and its what most guys train nowadays

Thanks for the input! I'm just having a hard time picking one or the other, and I guess I just wouldn't want to feel like I'm "missing out" not doing MT because Dutch doesn't do Elbows and doesn't do much clinch ( based on hearsay, no clue how true that is ). Whether that is relevant or not though, considering I don't plan to compete, is what I'm trying to decide.

I'll try it out anyway and realistically probably go with Dutch just because of the facilities are much better. I just hadn't ever heard of Dutch style before this, didn't even know it was a thing honestly, so that's why I was a little wary when I called up and they said "Oh we don't do Muay Thai, it's Dutch style".

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

TollTheHounds posted:

Thanks for the input! I'm just having a hard time picking one or the other, and I guess I just wouldn't want to feel like I'm "missing out" not doing MT because Dutch doesn't do Elbows and doesn't do much clinch ( based on hearsay, no clue how true that is ). Whether that is relevant or not though, considering I don't plan to compete, is what I'm trying to decide.

I'll try it out anyway and realistically probably go with Dutch just because of the facilities are much better. I just hadn't ever heard of Dutch style before this, didn't even know it was a thing honestly, so that's why I was a little wary when I called up and they said "Oh we don't do Muay Thai, it's Dutch style".

Oh ok, well you won't be missing out on much, the main difference is basically that Dutch kickboxers work their hands more than kicks and throw them with more power, and the people who do Dutch kb are way bigger/taller than Thais. Watch some real MT matches from thailand on Youtube and then watch some Heavyweight K1 where pretty much all the top guys use a more Dutch style and youll see the difference

If the other gym has better facilities and you need taller training partners anyway then it should be perfect for you to make the switch

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Uhh... what? Kickboxing in the Netherlands is like 30 years old and was developed pretty much only for K-1 styles, not to mention it has more of Japanese origins, but now is influenced heavily by Muay Thai. They have no tradition, there's no ram muay, basically get in the ring and kill...

Also training for Thai fights vs. K-1 fights are actually very different since the points are awarded differently. Kickboxing and k-1 fights kicks and punches are scored equally while by Thai rule set there's a definitive hierarchy to points: knees, kicks, elbows, punches. K-1 discourages clinching and holding and hitting, so the dutch never strongly train clinch or catch.

Dutch style is not better or worse than traditional Thai like you're making it out to be. It's just different training for basically a different sport. Also, all the top guys use a dutch style?? Really?? Top guys like Buakaw, Anuwat, Saenchai, Yodsaenklai, Bovy, Sirimongkol, Kem, Sudsakorn, Sinbi?

PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho

TollTheHounds posted:

Since there seem to be a few Vancouver people here, I was hoping I could get some advice on MT & schools here. I suppose in general anyone could help me though - hopefully this isn't sperglord long.

I finally am getting back into it ( never actually done MT but have tried just about everything else under the sun ), problem is that honestly, the further away the place is, the less likely I am going to go. I know it's dumb, training should be paramount regardless of location, but I know how I am. I don't want it to take up the entire night, I just don't have enough time and ultimately it will make me lose interest.

I guess what I'm generally asking is: for my purposes - fun/fitness/semi-legitimate training, am I hobbling myself in the future by potentially going to a less "legit" place? Learning bad habits etc? Or is the core, the basics of MT, more or less the same?

I've ruled out http://www.kaisingthong.com/main.html because I don't want to deal with the commute.

I live in Richmond and all I really found that was close by were 2 places:

http://dynamicmma.com/ - which seems to be geared towards MMA specifically and doesn't do MT - they only do Dutch style kickboxing ( basically MT without Elbows from what I gather? Some sort of Boxing / Kyokushin hybrid ). The gym looks huge though and really well geared.

and

http://www.richmondmma.ca/ who's lead instructor Victor Wang ( was? ) the light-heavyweight or something. He has a fight reel here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seXjCNx9B2c&list=UU8LZyIUyz2URWUCDZUAcjlQ&index=5&feature=plcp ( actual fighting starts around 2:00 ), and he trained under Posener ( he's actually on the Kel Lee site - http://www.kelleesama.com/instructors.htm ), for whatever that is worth - not much I gather.

I've actually been to the latter one a few times now - and the part I liked the most really was that the classes were small - I went to Gracie-Barra on Broadway a few years ago and it sucked because it was just too over-crowded - even rolling - especially the MT which took place in what I would call a long closet with no ventilation. I know that's not the case now since they moved, but it definitely burned me in that I refuse to go to a place where I have to fight for mat space.

tl;dr - I don't actually have any experience in MT so I don't really know what I should/should not be looking for.

[edit to add] - I do know one thing to ensure is that the place does actual sparring, so that has also been a primary criteria in addition to location ( for me ). So the only places I've considered do so, just to rule that out.

For what it's worth I've trained with Victor a bit at Posener's and I quite like him- I would definitely consider trying a class or two with him if you have the opportunity.

And please take the Posener negativity with a grain of salt- keep in mind that he's been in the local fight scene for a long time and is well respected amongst the other gyms.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
It's starting to feel like my new regimen of lifting weights is starting to pay off, and I'm only three weeks in. Admittably, it could just be in my head, but a lot of jits stuff just seems easier now, but hey, I'll take a mental placebo too.
I caved in and bought a bench to be able to the entire modified starting strength program, and man, having the equipment at home makes all the difference as far as being motivated into actually training.
It helps that the activity is that much more pleasurable with the help of a little heefer.
I was supposed to instruct gi class today, but got shanghaied by work. Luckily I was able to switch with one of the other instructors, so I'll take friday's nogi class instead. This month's theme is submissions from the guard, so I figure I'll show some guillotine chokes, maybe mix in a sweep or something now that I have another day to look at it.

Also, that Freddie Roach/Manny Pacquiao pad holding video is really impressive to me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Guilty posted:

Also, all the top guys use a dutch style?? Really?? Top guys like Buakaw, Anuwat, Saenchai, Yodsaenklai, Bovy, Sirimongkol, Kem, Sudsakorn, Sinbi?

He said heavyweight K-1

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

PelirrojoLoco posted:

For what it's worth I've trained with Victor a bit at Posener's and I quite like him- I would definitely consider trying a class or two with him if you have the opportunity.

And please take the Posener negativity with a grain of salt- keep in mind that he's been in the local fight scene for a long time and is well respected amongst the other gyms.

Yeah I'm not really concerned about the whole "My master is the best" stuff, I mean I'm not planning to go to Thailand and train at a camp or anything. I just want to be able to punch and kick stuff/people, hopefully properly trained.

The main reason I'm considering the Dutch style ( vs. the place w/ Posener instructors ) is simply the facility. The smaller place just has such a small pool of partners ( like classes of 4-7 ), originally I thought it was a benefit but it's getting to be a pain trying to get a 5'2" partner to hold the pads high enough or strongly enough that I feel like I'm actually training, instead of kneeling down to try and practice an uppercut.

PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho
Hard to say I guess. Nice facilities are a definite plus; so are smaller class sizes. All I can tell you is that Victor is a good teacher, definitely sparring oriented, and if you have the chance to work closely with him in a smaller class you'll learn a lot. *shrugs*

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

So I've pretty much decided that I want to get back into martial arts and plan on being proactive in regards to looking for a gym. I've narrowed my interest down to boxing and kickboxing, and the tough part now is selecting a couple of gyms to try out. I'll post a few links to gyms that are in my area that would be relatively convenient to attend.

http://graciebarracorona.com/index.php
http://www.asgfacility.com/default.htm
http://www.boxinggyms.com/jurupa.htm (i've seen this listed on a few gym directories, but lmao)

There's also a USKO, 10th planet Jiu Jitsu (says they do wrestling, kickboxing, etc.) as well as a UFC gym near me. This is just a real cursory googling of stuff in my area, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a good as it will get in this stupid city. I'll start checking stuff out this week/weekend, but any input would be cool too.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Illumination posted:

1http://graciebarracorona.com/index.php
2http://www.asgfacility.com/default.htm
3http://www.boxinggyms.com/jurupa.htm (i've seen this listed on a few gym directories, but lmao)

1) I don't know about this one: Gracie barra is a bjj gym and their muay thai coach doesn't look all that impressive as far as verifable accomplishments. He also lists a Muay Thai black belt, which isn't a real thing.

2)They look like they are really, really good at teaching wrestling. They list verifiable awards for the two boxing coaches, no idea how prestigious that stuff really is but definitely good enough to train a hobbyist. The Muay thai is a little suspect since one guy has zero info and the other lists his academic accomplishments(wtf?).

3)No idea. Maybe a legit guy with absolutely zero marketing/internet skills, maybe a honeypot for pedophiles.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

I think my friends sister trained at the Gracie Barra place for a bit. I think she did some BJJ stuff too because I seem to remember her talking about doing some ground work stuff too. Thats kind of why I thought of that place, also its right across the street from the UFC gym. Anyway, unless there's any other comments/suggestions I'll be checking out that place in the second link, as its a good 5 min from my house

Guilty
May 3, 2003

TollTheHounds posted:

Yeah I'm not really concerned about the whole "My master is the best" stuff, I mean I'm not planning to go to Thailand and train at a camp or anything. I just want to be able to punch and kick stuff/people, hopefully properly trained.

The main reason I'm considering the Dutch style ( vs. the place w/ Posener instructors ) is simply the facility. The smaller place just has such a small pool of partners ( like classes of 4-7 ), originally I thought it was a benefit but it's getting to be a pain trying to get a 5'2" partner to hold the pads high enough or strongly enough that I feel like I'm actually training, instead of kneeling down to try and practice an uppercut.

Victor's pretty cool and a good fighter. But a good facility is also pretty drat important.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TollTheHounds posted:

I doubt you'll be throwing elbows in sparring anyway. If you don't plan on competing, you're not missing out by doing "Dutch style". The only reason to consider switching down the line is if you change your mind on competing and body kicks are your favorite thing.

The Dutch stance is better for MMA as well, for what it's worth. There are top Thais like Yodsaenklai that fight from a western stance and Remy Bonjasky had a pretty traditional Thai stance, so the style differences shouldn't really be exaggerated. Just go to the gym that offers the better training and don't worry about style.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Paul Pot posted:

The Dutch stance is better for MMA as well, for what it's worth. There are top Thais like Yodsaenklai that fight from a western stance and Remy Bonjasky had a pretty traditional Thai stance, so the style differences shouldn't really be exaggerated. Just go to the gym that offers the better training and don't worry about style.

I find dutch style in general much more applicable across more martial arts than Thai style. Thai style I find to be a lot more rigid and stiff, while dutch approaches are better for nearly every single competition, from MMA to boxing. Only Full muay thai rules does Thai style reign supreme.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
I'm a tkd guy I still have no idea what's up with those dumb sock things.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Illumination posted:

I think my friends sister trained at the Gracie Barra place for a bit. I think she did some BJJ stuff too because I seem to remember her talking about doing some ground work stuff too. Thats kind of why I thought of that place, also its right across the street from the UFC gym. Anyway, unless there's any other comments/suggestions I'll be checking out that place in the second link, as its a good 5 min from my house

no harm in checking them all out.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Guilty posted:

Victor's pretty cool and a good fighter. But a good facility is also pretty drat important.

Had a class with Victor last night and he is really cool - quite a personality and seems to be a good teacher. Never felt anything quite like when he was demonstrating leg kicks on me - even with the pad I ended up with the biggest goose egg of my life on my outer right thigh. We did leg catches as well which was really fun, it was a disconcerting feeling being manhandled by him with my leg up above my head while he pushed me around and threw knees and punches me. He also made sure I wasn't paired up with anyone that was too much shorter than me so that helped a lot as well.

They gave me 2 free weeks at this place so I'll stick it out for another week and see what I feel like. I have to admit that despite the smaller location, it's starting to grow on me - primarily because it's just so drat convenient and last night was fun as hell. It's also half the cost of the bigger place per month - with reason I suppose. The facility itself is quite nice really, it's spotless/clean, they wipe down everything, it's not run down or anything. The biggest difference is really just that it is much much smaller.

So now my dilemma now is more: cost & convenience vs. facility & style. The small place is so close I could walk there and the classes are better timed as well - 7:30PM start is perfect. Both of which go a long ways towards longevity for me. Every single other place, not just near me but everywhere, seems to have the striking from 6:30 - 7:30, BJJ from 7:30-8:30/9 and it's really annoying. Seems like BJJ is the focus and the MT/Kickboxing is secondary/gets the bastard time slot.

I get a free week at the other place so I'm going to extend my free training as long as possible, just to try out the different style. As far as styles go though, again I'm not planning to compete ( though I suppose I shouldn't rule it out 100% in the future ), so I'm not particularly concerned that one style is better in an MMA fight than another.

Aside from the fact that I'm not sure that it really matters in a "street fight" anyway since it's not like you honorably face eachother, bow, and then circle. I have a buddy who has been in a lot of street/bar fights and he said it's basically over in 10 seconds, 1 knee or a sweep and the other guy is flat out by the time the cops get there anyway. You're not standing and trading blows for 3 minutes. I don't know how accurate or relevant that is since I'm not planning to do any fighting ever, but at least it's somewhat tangentially related.

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it!

mewse
May 2, 2006

TollTheHounds posted:

Aside from the fact that I'm not sure that it really matters in a "street fight" anyway since it's not like you honorably face eachother, bow, and then circle. I have a buddy who has been in a lot of street/bar fights and he said it's basically over in 10 seconds, 1 knee or a sweep and the other guy is flat out by the time the cops get there anyway. You're not standing and trading blows for 3 minutes. I don't know how accurate or relevant that is since I'm not planning to do any fighting ever, but at least it's somewhat tangentially related.

This topic comes up endlessly in this thread. If you want to win street fights, get a good pair of running shoes

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Guilty posted:

Uhh... what? Kickboxing in the Netherlands is like 30 years old and was developed pretty much only for K-1 styles, not to mention it has more of Japanese origins, but now is influenced heavily by Muay Thai. They have no tradition, there's no ram muay, basically get in the ring and kill...

Also training for Thai fights vs. K-1 fights are actually very different since the points are awarded differently. Kickboxing and k-1 fights kicks and punches are scored equally while by Thai rule set there's a definitive hierarchy to points: knees, kicks, elbows, punches. K-1 discourages clinching and holding and hitting, so the dutch never strongly train clinch or catch.

Dutch style is not better or worse than traditional Thai like you're making it out to be. It's just different training for basically a different sport. Also, all the top guys use a dutch style?? Really?? Top guys like Buakaw, Anuwat, Saenchai, Yodsaenklai, Bovy, Sirimongkol, Kem, Sudsakorn, Sinbi?

Haha I said better for bigger guys and you list a bunch of thais. I know the differences between the two styles and that Dutch style is a relatively recent spin off but in my opinion its usually more effective because of the stance, the better footwork, and better fundamental boxing skills. In my experience Westerners have more success with more of a Dutch style than trying to emulate traditional thai, its also more applicable to MMA which is what most people are looking for now anyway. Also I have trained with kaewsamrit in Thailand (I train!!!!!) so I dont hate MT or anything and Im not just talking out of my rear end

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

mewse posted:

This topic comes up endlessly in this thread. If you want to win street fights, get a good pair of running shoes

Don't get me wrong - I'm not planning to be in any street fights, let alone win them. I was just trying to apply the only scenario I can foresee where I would actually be fighting someone other than a training partner, in which case the style I use is irrelevant to "winning".

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
Wimp / martial artist beginner post follows : (please take in account the fact that i am a really anxious person)

I was sparring against a black belt (Kung Fu) and one of his kick landed on the side of my chin. I'm anxious as gently caress those days, and i can't help but think i have a brain hemorragy or something ; i did not lose consciousness, i just saw a few stars and dropped a bit on the ground, and in the minute that followed, i felt a bit of a strange feeling of "deja vu" if you know what i mean. My "partner" did not hit me too hard, i don't feel a lot of pain where he hit, but still i'm concerned : am i dying ? Should i run to the ER ? Or am i just a pussy (i think it's the most probable answer) ? My ear is buzzing a little bit. It happened one hour ago, how long do i wait before knowing if i have serious brain damage or hemorragy ?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mewse posted:

only if you're not very good, hopelessly outnumbered or weapons are involved

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ugrok posted:

Wimp / martial artist beginner post follows : (please take in account the fact that i am a really anxious person)

I was sparring against a black belt (Kung Fu) and one of his kick landed on the side of my chin. I'm anxious as gently caress those days, and i can't help but think i have a brain hemorragy or something ; i did not lose consciousness, i just saw a few stars and dropped a bit on the ground, and in the minute that followed, i felt a bit of a strange feeling of "deja vu" if you know what i mean. My "partner" did not hit me too hard, i don't feel a lot of pain where he hit, but still i'm concerned : am i dying ? Should i run to the ER ? Or am i just a pussy (i think it's the most probable answer) ? My ear is buzzing a little bit. It happened one hour ago, how long do i wait before knowing if i have serious brain damage or hemorragy ?

Hahah you'll be fine, if you get a headache or feel tired you could go to a walk in clinic and get them to see if you have a concussion but you are probably worrying about nothing!! And being a wimp!!!

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Haha I said better for bigger guys and you list a bunch of thais.

Half the guys I listed are lanky as gently caress, Buakaw, Yod, Anuwat all have some pretty amazing reach and dominate with Thai style. It's not just about weight. Pretty sure the only two who aren't are Saenchai and Bovy, and they're both tanks who are on the upper end of their weight category.

edit: also, I remember why I only listed Thais. It was to avoid a semantics argument about who is Thai and who is Dutch style and good

Guilty fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Didn't think to buy a cup when I bought all my knee pads and gloves 'n stuff.

Any recommendations? What do you guys think of the shock doctor compression shorts/cup deal?

• Locked thread