Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
This is a pretty neat article on Gizmodo talking about a civilian contractor flying a DHC-4 Caribou. They do precision supply drops for remote outposts in Afghanistan. I'd think that would be a pretty hairy ride, especially in some of the nasty weather they could get.

http://gizmodo.com/5895124/the-ancient-airlifter-that-makes-daredevil-drops-over-afghanistan

quote:

The dramatic "Low-Cost, Low-Altitude" (LCLA) resupply, which I witnessed numerous times during my week at Marzak in January, represents the latest tactic in the high-stakes logistical campaign that underpins the U.S.-led war effort. Along with robot trucks, robot helicopters, "smart" parachutes, hybrid trucks and even airships, it's also evidence of the Pentagon's never-ending quest for better resupply methods.

Mountainous, landlocked, surrounded by hostile neighboring countries and lacking good roads, Afghanistan is a logistician's nightmare. Isolated outposts such as that in Marzak are the most difficult to keep fed and fueled. There are no roads capable of supporting a heavy truck. At 10,000 feet about sea level, Marzak is too high for many helicopters. The large, powerful copters - American Chinooks, Russian-made Mi-17s - that can climb high enough are especially vulnerable to rockets and gunfire. Airdrops from high-flying C-17 or C-130 cargo planes are often imprecise. If the materials land too far away from the outpost, the resident soldiers must send out a risky combat patrol to retrieve them, a particularly difficult task without trucks and other heavy equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

co199 posted:

This is a pretty neat article on Gizmodo talking about a civilian contractor flying a DHC-4 Caribou. They do precision supply drops for remote outposts in Afghanistan. I'd think that would be a pretty hairy ride, especially in some of the nasty weather they could get.

http://gizmodo.com/5895124/the-ancient-airlifter-that-makes-daredevil-drops-over-afghanistan

I was going to go on a rant about the C-27, but I see the article covered that. I fully understand (and support) the decision to get rid of the C-27, because it really is a niche capability since Afghanistan is one of the only places on earth where there is a large region incapable of being supplied by a C-130, so getting rid of it makes sense in an era of fiscal austerity...but canning it while we are STILL IN AFGHANISTAN was loving retarded.

Interesting to see that this was the solution they came up with.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

iyaayas01 posted:

but canning it while we are STILL IN AFGHANISTAN was loving retarded.

AND after they had already started flying. :psyduck:

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
isnt that a role that the C23 could fill? Pretend I know nothing of the airframe other than its the dorkiest plane ever and I know nothing about legit logistical air supply

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

isnt that a role that the C23 could fill? Pretend I know nothing of the airframe other than its the dorkiest plane ever and I know nothing about legit logistical air supply

C-23 has a 14,000 ft service ceiling?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
That sounds reasonable thank you for the answer!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

joat mon posted:

Ah, yes, the ironically-named "Sherpa", incapable of ascending to the base camp at the foot of Mt. Everest, letalone the summit.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 22, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

joat mon posted:

Can the C-23 do airdrops?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

Can the C-23 do airdrops?

I think the -B and -C models can.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

joat mon posted:

I think the -B and -C models can.

Okay, that's kinda what I thought too.

I went to the AF Armament Museum today outside Eglin...I'll post a link to the album once I get all the pictures uploaded, but here's a few teasers (click through for huge):

A T-62 scale model...that's not very air or armament-ish. Hm...

I thought that was pretty cool.

That's a little more armament related.

Words to live by (inscribed on the GBU-28 bunker buster they have there).

MOAB.

Rumor is that this (along with a couple other MiGs that are in various museums around the country on loan from the USAF Museum at Wright-Pat) is a Constant Peg/4477th TES jet.

This was the last operational B-47 (actually an RB-47).

First Lady, the very first C-130 off the production line in 1955. She was eventually modified to a gunship and finally retired in 1995.

Nose art.

The only "Big Tail" SR-71.

Pave Low.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I was there less than a year ago checking out that SR71. Pretty cool place.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What's in the tail boom on that Blackbird? Sensors of some kind, I assume? Surely a MAD can't work from 80,000 feet?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Sagebrush posted:

What's in the tail boom on that Blackbird? Sensors of some kind, I assume? Surely a MAD can't work from 80,000 feet?

from Sr-71.org

SR-71.org posted:

SR-71A #61-7959, also known as "Big Tail," is on display at the Air Force Armament Museum at Eglin AFB, FL. The aircraft came off the assembly line like any other SR-71A when it was rolled out on 16 August 1965, but was chosen as the platform for a new set of sensor equipment to be carried in a nine-foot extension from the rear of the aircraft in 1975. The tests demonstrated that there was little performance loss, but that the new sensor equipment proved little advantage. The program to retrofit the new "big tail" to the remaining SR-71s was cut and the aircraft last flew on 29 October 1976

And from another blog

Travelforaircraft posted:

This particular Blackbird has a unique trial modification which added 9 feet (2.7m) beyond the tail to carry a new optical bar camera as well as more electronic countermeasures. The testing indicated that aerodynamics were not unduly affected — but the additional equipment did not substantially add to mission capability either. Since the flying of this SR-71 was not harmed the extension remained, this unique aircraft was given the nickname of “Big Tail” and served several more years inhabiting a flight envelope solely with its Blackbird brethren.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sagebrush posted:

Apparently it contained an optical bar camera and additional ECM equipment. It was a trial program to see if it worked before they put it on all the other jets, but the equipment didn't add significantly to the mission capability so they didn't put it on any other jets, but since it didn't negatively impact the flight characteristics they didn't take it off this one jet either.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

iyaayas01 posted:

I was going to go on a rant about the C-27, but I see the article covered that. I fully understand (and support) the decision to get rid of the C-27, because it really is a niche capability since Afghanistan is one of the only places on earth where there is a large region incapable of being supplied by a C-130, so getting rid of it makes sense in an era of fiscal austerity...but canning it while we are STILL IN AFGHANISTAN was loving retarded.

Interesting to see that this was the solution they came up with.

Canada is thinking of getting a fleet of C-27s for search and rescue operations...even though a company out of the Calgary airport is offering to build new DHC-3 caribou, the plane currently used in that role with great success.

This has been a "Canada has terrible procurement" moment, thank you

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nebakenezzer posted:

Canada is thinking of getting a fleet of C-27s for search and rescue operations...even though a company out of the Calgary airport is offering to build new DHC-3 caribou, the plane currently used in that role with great success.

This has been a "Canada has terrible procurement" moment, thank you

Hey, I know a place where you guys can get some for cheap, barely used! :v:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Where are they getting enough avgas to fill a Caribou in Afghanistan?

Or are they really flying a Buffalo, which is what Viking Air is talking about producing again?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

Where are they getting enough avgas to fill a Caribou in Afghanistan?

Or are they really flying a Buffalo, which is what Viking Air is talking about producing again?

Definitely a Caribou:
Inverted gull wing
straight leading edge
cruciform tail
beautiful piston engine sound

I believe some of the UAVs use avgas.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BonzoESC posted:

I don't think the 747 it flies around on is supersonic though.

What if they firewalled the throttle and went into a shallow dive? For old time's sake.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

joat mon posted:

This is correct. Preds (and whatever the Army calls their version) use avgas, as do quite a few of the smaller UAVs, so avgas is definitely something that is part of the logistics flow over there.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

joat mon posted:

Definitely a Caribou:
Inverted gull wing
straight leading edge
cruciform tail
beautiful piston engine sound

I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet.

I would have thought they'd run the UAVs on mogas. The piston engines used are all perfectly capable of it.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
This was posted in the Amusing and Provocative Political Pictures thread in D&D and I figured it belonged here.

I always kind of had a soft spot for scale models of planes that never really existed and/or look nothing like the model once they actually do exist.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Boat posted:

This was posted in the Amusing and Provocative Political Pictures thread in D&D and I figured it belonged here.

I always kind of had a soft spot for scale models of planes that never really existed and/or look nothing like the model once they actually do exist.

It kinda existed.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
F-35B VTOLing off a carrier. I would have thought it would have come in like a normal landing but with huge flair/hover for the final touchdown, but it looks like a full vertical landing and a mix on takeoff. It seems like the jet energy is never concentrated on any part of the deck for very long. Pretty interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki86x1WKPmE

Edit: the heavy down elevator deflection on takeoff is a bit perplexing

darknrgy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 22, 2012

co199
Oct 28, 2009

darknrgy posted:

F-35B VTOLing off a carrier.

That's pretty cool; it looks a lot like Harrier operations.

Speaking of carriers and the F-35, I'm pretty sure the LHA carriers don't have traditional 4-wire trap apparatus like a Navy carrier; not that it would matter since the Navy's F-35C can't land on a carrier anyway due to a design flaw.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

darknrgy posted:

F-35B VTOLing off a carrier. I would have thought it would have come in like a normal landing but with huge flair/hover for the final touchdown, but it looks like a full vertical landing and a mix on takeoff. It seems like the jet energy is never concentrated on any part of the deck for very long. Pretty interesting!

They had the flight deck cleared for these tests, but normally, there are a lot of helicopters and AV-8B/F-35Bs on deck at a time, each on a particular helipad, which prevents a typical aircraft-carrier style approach. Normal approach is made beside the LHD, not behind it. It looks like a hover, but because the ship is steaming into the wind, they're actually flying at maybe 30-40knots forward airspeed during the whole procedure, keeping pace with the ship. Once they're in-line with their landing spot, they slide sideways into it and land.

co199 posted:

not that it would matter since the Navy's F-35C can't land on a carrier anyway due to a design flaw.
Don't worry, it will be fixed. And no, LHDs and LHAs don't have catapults or arresting gear.

Edit: pictures!

grover fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 22, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

darknrgy posted:

I assume it's to counteract the engine nozzle being pointed downwards -- that thrust angle combined with up elevator and I bet it would just flip onto its back.

I wonder if that's automatic, though, or if the pilot has to do the corrections manually?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

grover posted:

Don't worry, it will be fixed.

The Navy's been doing this sort of thing since 1922, you would think their new airplane would be able to do the one thing they're known for.

(Not starting an F-35 derail, just wanted to get a jab in at the Navy. :D )

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

Sagebrush posted:

I assume it's to counteract the engine nozzle being pointed downwards -- that thrust angle combined with up elevator and I bet it would just flip onto its back.

I wonder if that's automatic, though, or if the pilot has to do the corrections manually?

The nozzle in the rear is pointed down which would push the nose down. Down elevator would also push the nose down.

I think it might be because of the big fan and duct behind the pilot. It looks forward of cog and it's going to be pulling in air. Just guessing though.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Sagebrush posted:

The F-35 is all flown by computers, virtually everything is automatic. It looks as if the elevator angle is integrated into the lift control system. Due to inducement/entrainment, a large volume of surrounding air is moved by the exhaust. By positioning the elevator to present the slimmest angle/lowest resistance, more useful thrust can be developed by the engine than if it were kept static. By moving within this slipstream, it would still provide pitch control, even if not pointed in the direction of flight- you can see the two elevators moving independently as ailerons in some parts of that video. I'd imagine the angle would change as forward airspeed increased.

grover fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 22, 2012

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
That's a pretty good sounding theory, grover.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I watched a little movie about airplanes called "Top Gun" last night.

Is it just me or are the F-14s' swing wings basically randomly placed in any given shot?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Probably yes, because of editing, but I understand that the sweep is normally controlled by a computer depending on speed and angle of attack, so in a dogfight with lots of maneuvering they would probably be moving in and out quite a bit.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sagebrush posted:

Probably yes, because of editing, but I understand that the sweep is normally controlled by a computer depending on speed and angle of attack, so in a dogfight with lots of maneuvering they would probably be moving in and out quite a bit.

The sweet is indeed controlled by a computer depending on those things, and during a dogfight they would indeed probably sweep back and forth quite a bit (the sweep can also be manually overridden by the pilot). Speaking of things moving quite a bit, the Tomcat earned the nickname of "turkey" because of how on approach it would have flapping control surfaces all over the place.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

My favorite thing about Top Gun is how much they reused that footage in shows and movies, especially JAG. Every shot with an F-14 in it was from Top Gun.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Mobius1B7R posted:

My favorite thing about Top Gun is how much they reused that footage in shows and movies, especially JAG. Every shot with an F-14 in it was from Top Gun.

Ha, that's awesome. I love that show, have it all on DVD.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Mobius1B7R posted:

Considering Paramount (now a part of CBS) originally funded both Top Gun and JAG, it'd be easy for them to use the clips. After all, they didn't pay the Navy all that money to use the plane film just for Top Gun!

I'm awful fond of the last dogfight in Top Gun, as you can see the same clip of the F-14s and F-5s doing the rolling scissors at least 5 times.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

There's apparently going to be Top Gun. The plane that's going to be flying: the F-35.

(No word yet if those F-35s are going to be entirely CG like in that Die Hard movie.)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Nebakenezzer posted:

There's apparently going to be Top Gun. The plane that's going to be flying: the F-35.

(No word yet if those F-35s are going to be entirely CG like in that Die Hard movie.)

It'll probably depend on if they need to show them flying at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mr. Despair posted:

It'll probably depend on if they need to show them flying at all.

They'll just use them for B-roll between volleyball and gay overtures.