Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
http://www.pcconnectionexpress.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=13371257&cac=Result has the N40L for $199 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

It was $180 when I bought one last week. :smug:

That mini-SAS connector is the worst thing in the world to remove. The rest of the hardware is really nice.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Civil posted:

It was $180 when I bought one last week. :smug:

That mini-SAS connector is the worst thing in the world to remove. The rest of the hardware is really nice.

Jealous! So I've read a few people say the built-in NIC sucks? Is this true? Should I replace it?

Also, I wanna max out the memory since it's so cheap. Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G looks like the way to go. Confirm/deny?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Fangs404 posted:

Jealous! So I've read a few people say the built-in NIC sucks? Is this true? Should I replace it?

Also, I wanna max out the memory since it's so cheap. Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G looks like the way to go. Confirm/deny?
I'm getting full speed with the built-in NIC on WHS2011. Some people go with an intel NIC for the linuxy server OS's, I think. I guess do some research depending on what software you intend to run.

I picked up a single 4GB ECC stick, adding to the 2GB it came with, it put me at 6GB at half the price. I hear you can run non-ECC if you want, but it takes a bit of luck.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Fangs404 posted:

With ZFS you should max it out. That's the exact RAM I bought. It appears to be the goon accepted stuff.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Civil posted:

I'm getting full speed with the built-in NIC on WHS2011. Some people go with an intel NIC for the linuxy server OS's, I think. I guess do some research depending on what software you intend to run.

I picked up a single 4GB ECC stick, adding to the 2GB it came with, it put me at 6GB at half the price. I hear you can run non-ECC if you want, but it takes a bit of luck.

OK, cool. I'm planning on doing RAID-Z with FreeNAS, and there are plenty of Newegg reviews saying it works just fine with FreeNAS, so I think I'll be fine.

I went ahead and ordered the 8gb kit. I read that upgrading the RAM is a pain in the rear end, so I figure I'll just go ahead and max it out. I went the ECC route. It's just a little extra peace of mind.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Fangs404 posted:

OK, cool. I'm planning on doing RAID-Z with FreeNAS, and there are plenty of Newegg reviews saying it works just fine with FreeNAS, so I think I'll be fine.

I went ahead and ordered the 8gb kit. I read that upgrading the RAM is a pain in the rear end, so I figure I'll just go ahead and max it out. I went the ECC route. It's just a little extra peace of mind.

The only difficult part of upgrading the RAM is unplugging the mini-SAS connector (the large one on the left), the rest is really simple. Unplug the rest of the USB headers, fan plugs, mobo power supply, and slide the tray out. Make sure you plug something into the onboard SATA port if you want to use a 5th internal device in the 5.25" bay while you have the motherboard out. Even if you don't have immediate plans, plug one in and snake it up to the top bay while you can.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Civil posted:

The only difficult part of upgrading the RAM is unplugging the mini-SAS connector (the large one on the left), the rest is really simple. Unplug the rest of the USB headers, fan plugs, mobo power supply, and slide the tray out. Make sure you plug something into the onboard SATA port if you want to use a 5th internal device in the 5.25" bay while you have the motherboard out. Even if you don't have immediate plans, plug one in and snake it up to the top bay while you can.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I already have 4 2TB storage drives, and I'm planning on using the included 250gb drive for the OS. I know a BIOS mod is necessary to use the 5th SATA port, right? Where do I get that mod?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

How many internal Sata does this thing have? Mine hasn't come in yet. I see it has a 5.25" bay that I planned on putting a DVD-Rom in. I was also going to replace the 250GB drive with a 64GB SSD I'm not using for the OS. Then I was going to put in 4x 2TB drives for RAID. This will require 6 SATA ports.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

IT Guy posted:

How many internal Sata does this thing have? Mine hasn't come in yet. I see it has a 5.25" bay that I planned on putting a DVD-Rom in. I was also going to replace the 250GB drive with a 64GB SSD I'm not using for the OS. Then I was going to put in 4x 2TB drives for RAID. This will require 6 SATA ports.

I may be mistaken, but I think you can replace the SATA controller with one of your own. It has a PCI Express x16 slot.

[edit]
From the PC Connection Express specs:

Expansion slots:
Slot 1: PCI-Express Gen 2 x16 connector with x16 link
Slot 2: PCI-Express Gen 2 x1 connector with x1 Link
Slot 2-2: PCI-Express x4 slot for optional management card

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 22, 2012

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
A guy on [H] set up an N40L wiki: http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/HP_MicroServer_N40L_Wiki

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Fangs404 posted:

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I already have 4 2TB storage drives, and I'm planning on using the included 250gb drive for the OS. I know a BIOS mod is necessary to use the 5th SATA port, right? Where do I get that mod?

I was disappointed that the included 250gb drive is installed in one of the bay slots. I pulled it out and stuck it in the 5.25" area in the top, and used the motherboard's SATA port to control it (no bios mod needed - boots fine). Use the 4 bays for your TB drives.

Also, not sure why anyone would bother putting an optical drive into one of these servers. Nearly every OS installs fine from USB, and you can use the top bay for one or more HDD's instead.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Civil posted:

I was disappointed that the included 250gb drive is installed in one of the bay slots. I pulled it out and stuck it in the 5.25" area in the top, and used the motherboard's SATA port to control it (no bios mod needed - boots fine). Use the 4 bays for your TB drives.

Also, not sure why anyone would bother putting an optical drive into one of these servers. Nearly every OS installs fine from USB, and you can use the top bay for one or more HDD's instead.

Yeah I'll probably just do that instead.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Civil posted:

Oh, perfect, I didn't realize I could use the mobo's SATA port to control it. So what does the BIOS mod get you?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Fangs404 posted:

Oh, perfect, I didn't realize I could use the mobo's SATA port to control it. So what does the BIOS mod get you?

AHCI support for that SATA port.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Civil posted:

AHCI support for that SATA port.

Wouldn't I want AHCI support for that SATA port?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Fangs404 posted:

Wouldn't I want AHCI support for that SATA port?

It's preferable, but I didn't want to void my warranty yet.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Why does it come disabled?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

kri kri posted:

Why does it come disabled?
There's no good reason. The port is labelled ODD, intending it to only be used for an optical disc drive, and the instructions won't even call it a SATA port for some reason.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Okay, I have a FreeNAS 7 machine up. It has a ZFS pool with two vdevs, one are normal format drives (4, raidz) and the other are WD advanced format (4, raidz) for a single pool.

What's my degree of difficulty here in upgrading the whole thing to OpenIndiana and upgrading the existing pool to the latest zfs version without having to erase things and copy over from my backup raid. Which is a scary JBOD raid attached to a windows machine because I can't get things to work in FreeNas with the port multiplier that the external raid works with so I really don't want to try a full 10TB restore from backup JBOD through windows and cry when it all breaks.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
This is probably a bit of a long shot but I thought I'd ask.

We got a QNAP 119 to play with at my company as a candidate for replacing some PCs already in service that are essentially just file servers. Specifically, we want to use it as a software repository for Wyse Device Manager. The problem is, WDM is a oval office. It only works with FTP, the home directory has to be named RAPPORT, the user has to be rapport, and the home directory and everything in it has to be writeable.

I immediately ran into problems with this, mostly because of the home directory. The QNAP as well as every other NAS I've checked into that does FTP does not allow you to change the ftp root directory. So I attempted to hack it. I was successful in gaining control over the ftp config, but it still didn't work because something else on the machine is making the ftp root directory itself non writeable, which is ridiculous because I've checked the permissions and it works the same way no matter what I set the directory to. I even talked to one of the developers of the proftpd daemon and he didn't know what the gently caress. :suicide:

So, now I'm thinking about taking a loving axe to the thing, unless someone has an idea of what I might be able to do. Either that, or perhaps someone knows of a NAS that gives you real control over the FTP service.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You found the caveat to using appliances: loss of full control.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So those Hitachis are the current goon-favorite NAS drives? I'm starting to pull read errors on one or two of the WD EARS drives (I know, I know) I have in my DS410j and was looking to replace the oldest two. 144/each is a pretty reasonable price, too.

The newer firmwares seem to solve the parking issues (as of DSM 2.4 or something), but the two oldest drives were already halfway to the lifetime load cycles by the time it came out and they're starting to get a little sketchy.

Also, just want to say that DSM 4.0 is slick as all hell. I'm really impressed.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Telex posted:

Okay, I have a FreeNAS 7 machine up. It has a ZFS pool with two vdevs, one are normal format drives (4, raidz) and the other are WD advanced format (4, raidz) for a single pool.

What's my degree of difficulty here in upgrading the whole thing to OpenIndiana and upgrading the existing pool to the latest zfs version without having to erase things and copy over from my backup raid. Which is a scary JBOD raid attached to a windows machine because I can't get things to work in FreeNas with the port multiplier that the external raid works with so I really don't want to try a full 10TB restore from backup JBOD through windows and cry when it all breaks.

Export/Import and Upgrade are non-destructive functions, I don't know what WD advanced format means though?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

teamdest posted:

Export/Import and Upgrade are non-destructive functions, I don't know what WD advanced format means though?

4k sectors instead of 512byte sectors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format

This is like the new wave of drive tech that started a couple of years ago and kinda fucks with things.

I tried it once already to change the system over to an esx based host so I could throw a couple other VM's on top of it, and because half my drives were advanced format and I guess I didn't do something "right" it decided to go and corrupt the entire pool.

So, instead of one big vdev raidz2, I have two separate raidz1.

http://www.cod3r.com/2010/06/zfs-on-western-digital-ears-drives/
http://ivoras.net/blog/tree/2011-01-01.freebsd-on-4k-sector-drives.html

Those explain it slightly better. Half my drives are normal, half are .nop devices and honestly my concern is that doing an upgrade on a new OS will have the same effect as when I did a zpool import on the FreeNAS I tried to install via esx, and that's to say it might corrupt the poo poo out of my drives again.

code:
bender        ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz1      ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ad4       ONLINE       0     0     0  288K resilvered
	    ad6       ONLINE       0     0     0  288K resilvered
	    ad19      ONLINE       0     1     0  288K resilvered
	    ad21      ONLINE       0     0     0  253K resilvered
	  raidz1      ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ad8.nop   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ad10.nop  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ad20.nop  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ad22.nop  ONLINE       0     0     0
I mean that's what I'm dealing with, and I'm kinda concerned that doing another import will have the same effect, the import will "forget" the .nop on the second raid and corrupt it up again and that's just a bunch of nonsense I can wait out until hard drive prices go down and I can replace the goddamn WD drives or replace the non-WD drives or replace the whole drat thing or whatever I don't know.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
If I wanted to buy a NAS Barebones server (i.e. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122064 ) that I want to be around the 20TB mark in the future, do I have to have all of that space there at once, or can I buy different drives one at a time and will a RAID 5 config automatically work the space around new drives I put in? Do all of the hard drives have to be exactly the same?

In other words, can I buy the server and add drives/space as I go, or do I have to have a set amount all at once?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Depends entirely on the software/OS you run. FreeNAS (or Solaris) with RAIDZ? Takes some effort: you can't just drop a new drive or two in and have it "just work." Note that the X-RAID2 system on that Netgear specifically says in its features that you can drop in new disks, or replace smaller ones, and it should "just work."

As to hardware, you will get the best performance from using all identical drives. However, as long as you keep the drives fairly similar, there isn't usually that much of an impact (as in, usually unnoticeable) from mixing and matching. You're more or less limited by the slowest drive--keep the performance numbers similar, and you can do what you want.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Charles Martel posted:

If I wanted to buy a NAS Barebones server (i.e. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122064 ) that I want to be around the 20TB mark in the future, do I have to have all of that space there at once, or can I buy different drives one at a time and will a RAID 5 config automatically work the space around new drives I put in? Do all of the hard drives have to be exactly the same?

In other words, can I buy the server and add drives/space as I go, or do I have to have a set amount all at once?

For what it's worth, that's not a "barebones" server in the traditional meaning of the word barebones when it comes to computer, that's a NAS appliance without any disks. As to your question, ff you're looking at an appliance, then it depends on the appliance if you can expand or not. If you're talking about true barebones (like the HP Microserver) then it depends on what OS you run.

With ZFS you can't do it one drive at a time, but you could do it 5 or 6 drives at a time. With mdadm you can do it a drive at a time. Not sure what current Windows offerings have, but with Windows 8 you can add a drive at a time.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

These drives any good? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136798&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-22-136-798-_-Homepage2011

Edit: err... never mind, I thought they were 2TB drives.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Those of you with an N40L and using FreeNAS, are you installing FreeNAS to a USB drive?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

IT Guy posted:

Those of you with an N40L and using FreeNAS, are you installing FreeNAS to a USB drive?

mos def

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

DNova posted:

mos def

I have some lovely Kingston USB2 drive that only gets about 6mb/s read. I really don't want to buy a better one. Is this going to be an issue at all?

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
I can't speak to FreeNAS specifically but I ran openindiana and napp-it off a USB key for an year or so and while the web interface was suck-slow the arrays were unaffected.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

IT Guy posted:

I have some lovely Kingston USB2 drive that only gets about 6mb/s read. I really don't want to buy a better one. Is this going to be an issue at all?

I doubt it. If it is, spend like five dollars to get a better drive and clone the slow one over to it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It'll matter on boot and maybe for writing logs if you decide to write them constantly, but FreeNAS from USB loads into a RAM drive. Once the system is up, the USB stick stops mattering for the operation of the system.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

DNova posted:

I doubt it. If it is, spend like five dollars to get a better drive and clone the slow one over to it.

I'm Canadian so I end up paying $20.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

IT Guy posted:

Another USB-user here. Booting a N40L with FreeNAS isn't really a fast process, anyhow, so the extra few seconds it'll take to load to RAM from a slow USB drive isn't really important. Other than booting, there's pretty much nothing that 6MB/s wouldn't be sufficient for--FreeNAS really doesn't use the drive much at all once it's up and running. Save your $20 for a better NIC or something.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

gently caress, sorry for all the questions.

I plan on putting 4x 2TB drives into this thing real soon. However, I want to be able to throw larger drives in the future. Should I be checking the "Force 4096 bytes sector size" option with the 2TB drives?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
If you guys are worried about the USB drive with FreeNAS, why not use the 250gb drive that comes with the N40L for the OS drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Fangs404 posted:

If you guys are worried about the USB drive with FreeNAS, why not use the 250gb drive that comes with the N40L for the OS drive?

I wanted to use that slot for a 60GB SSD ZFS cache I had laying around.