Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Was just watching that. IIRC, a couple episodes later they brought it up again, they both had lolmassive repairs.

Still want the 850.

Only the Merc had a massive repair. The 850 worked fine, unless there was something I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I know the Mercedes was off the road, but I thought they went over the 850 with a fine tooth Chinn and couldn't find hardly anything wrong with it?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Merc needed new coil(s) which was something like 1200 quid and the 850 was fine.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
I would just like to say that sunday without Top Gear is sad.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Do we know how many more US episodes are left to air?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
3 more TGUS episodes for this season

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

CornHolio posted:

I know the Mercedes was off the road, but I thought they went over the 850 with a fine tooth Chinn and couldn't find hardly anything wrong with it?
I thought the 850 was only using half its cylinders or something and that's why it was so slow? And also one of them was full of boogers and the other one full of cocaine and lady fluids?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

jojoinnit posted:

I thought the 850 was only using half its cylinders or something and that's why it was so slow? And also one of them was full of boogers and the other one full of cocaine and lady fluids?

The 850 was fine mechanically. It was the Mercedes that tossed the ignition coil and lost half the engine. They never revisited it though to see how the 850 held up (at least not that I remember).

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

The 850 was fine mechanically. It was the Mercedes that tossed the ignition coil and lost half the engine. They never revisited it though to see how the 850 held up (at least not that I remember).
It tossed the ignition coil after the episode was made when they discussed how the cars were holding up later. I could have sworn that during the episode the 850 was absurdly slow in a drag race against the Mercedes?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Has everyone already seen this preview of Richard Hammond's Crash Course?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=duBVnn9GRuA

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Itzena posted:

Rear spoiler + sunroof for a UK car probably means GT Coupé which had the 3-SGE. I know this because I've got one parked about 15' away from me right now. :v: Only the base spec model over here had the gutless wonder which was the two litre 5S-FE lump.

base euro spec cars got the 3sfe which is a de stroked 5sfe.

Plus ive met the guys who fixed up james mays car (hint: the big rear end trailer towing an mr2 during the background scenes) and the guy who sponsored/built the winning black turbo one.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

davebo posted:

Has everyone already seen this preview of Richard Hammond's Crash Course?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=duBVnn9GRuA

I hope someone is sentenced to death for the 0:53 second mark

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Eh, one less 1st Gen mustang. Its not like it was a Shelby or anything special.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
In many ways its the miata of the 1960's.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

It tossed the ignition coil after the episode was made when they discussed how the cars were holding up later. I could have sworn that during the episode the 850 was absurdly slow in a drag race against the Mercedes?

They measured the escaped horses and the 850 had about 260HP by the time if the race (down from 296) while the Merc had 350HP (from 360).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mighty Horse posted:

Eh, one less 1st Gen mustang. Its not like it was a Shelby or anything special.

I was feeling sad for the early 928 that copped it :(

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Plankalkuel posted:

They measured the escaped horses and the 850 had about 260HP by the time if the race (down from 296) while the Merc had 350HP (from 360).

Oh. I wonder what episode I was confusing it with.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

I was feeling sad for the early 928 that copped it :(

If it wasnt an S4, it's no great loss.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

jojoinnit posted:

Oh. I wonder what episode I was confusing it with.

Probably the one where they bought bargain supercars that were not a porsche.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
TopGear US: The Big-O communication system had me in tears.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I just watched S4E3. It's the one with the $100 car challenge that Jeremy wins by sheer thriftiness alone. The series really is getting into its stride at this point, and I am so glad that the Jason Dawes days are far in the rearview mirror.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Matlock posted:

I just watched S4E3. It's the one with the $100 car challenge that Jeremy wins by sheer thriftiness alone. The series really is getting into its stride at this point, and I am so glad that the Jason Dawes days are far in the rearview mirror.

With the 1 pound Volvo? That was an excellent episode.

EDIT: Does anyone know which episode has the Mexican abuse? I want to show it to a friend.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 22, 2012

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sockington posted:

TopGear US: The Big-O communication system had me in tears.

The super-long Vette actually doing the slalom had me in stitches, as did the ghetto popemobile. I think, overall, it was better than the TGUK limo episode.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

CornHolio posted:

The super-long Vette actually doing the slalom had me in stitches, as did the ghetto popemobile. I think, overall, it was better than the TGUK limo episode.

For sure.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

CornHolio posted:

Yeah, I was pissed when they basically just stole the ideas of TGUK (for the first 2 limos), but I do think I ended up laughing more at the US version than the UK version.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, I was pissed when they basically just stole the ideas of TGUK (for the first 2 limos), but I do think I ended up laughing more at the US version than the UK version.

I think they were conceptually better.

Limo 1: Clarkson had the Fiat Panda lengthened to stupid lengths. Tanner had the Vette. The Vette is better because he can literally powerslide it and do burnouts. It was more like a combination of Clarkson's Panda and Hammond's Rover, but awesome.

Limo 2: May had the Saab/Alfa and Rut had the VW/VW. I think Rut's was hilarious because it was symmetrical and equally awful on both ends. The open air in the middle was similar to Hammond's MG, but I think Rut's just worked better.

Limo 3: C'mon, the Lincoln Popemobile was just the best. The fact that the throttle sticks and it plows through three cars and comes out with hardly any damage is hilarious. And I'm pretty sure sitting in that comfy armchair making martinis while the Stig powerslides it is the most ridiclously awesome moment in any of TGUS.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

CornHolio posted:

Limo 2: May had the Saab/Alfa and Rut had the VW/VW. I think Rut's was hilarious because it was symmetrical and equally awful on both ends. The open air in the middle was similar to Hammond's MG, but I think Rut's just worked better.
I'm not sure if it was actually like this or it was just the camera angles, but I liked that it never appeared to drive completely straight, like the "rear" wheels were always slightly off center.

And hey they used Stig for something Stig-like again :v:. Can't remember too many like that other than when he drove the police car in the moonshine episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That episode was just terrible to watch. Just as terrible as the UK one. I don't like watching them ruin someone's day, even if it is fake. Though not as stupid as Trump making gay jokes at Tanner the entire time. If they can't come up with their own challenges, at least take some good ones.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

japtor posted:

I'm not sure if it was actually like this or it was just the camera angles, but I liked that it never appeared to drive completely straight, like the "rear" wheels were always slightly off center.

It looked like it was crabbing down the road before he even modified it, probably due to the damage it incurred from the 3-way collision.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

CornHolio posted:

The fact that the throttle sticks and it plows through three cars and comes out with hardly any damage is hilarious.

It did take some decent damage. You could see it back at the studio. They filmed the final sequence before it took the hit.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

I'm in agreement with others that the cars were better than the UK versions and really if they had rewrote the script and just had Adam make it there late or something instead of getting "upset" and driving the wrong way it would have been better. That was the only big :rolleyes: moment for me. Also that Dancing with the Stars judge had the best lines. You could tell they weren't scripted.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
The back half of S4, notably S4E6-8 make it really obvious the music crew just watched Kill Bill and The Matrix Sequels. Not a complaint, just a note.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Holy poo poo, my Platinum/A-class ticket to Top Gear Live means I get a backstage pass and a tour after the show.

Fuckin' A! :woop:

I am so bringing a spanner for May to sign.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also bring a hammer for Jeremy to sign. Then use it to hit Hammond :)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Bring a box of tooth whitener for Hammond to sign.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hammond won't be there, apparently it's a May+Clarkson-only thing. Not that I mind, really.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's sort of a bonus, really.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

KozmoNaut posted:

Hammond won't be there, apparently it's a May+Clarkson-only thing. Not that I mind, really.

Then bring a Ken doll with bad hair and a mid-life crisis jacket so they won't be lonely.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

KozmoNaut posted:

May and Hammond rotate on the Live tours and then there's a local host from whereever they are.

In your case you'll be getting Anders Breinholt. Maybe Clarkson can drop a couple of ginger jokes on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS
How long are these compilations going to go on for? Have they cancelled the show? Are there going to be new episodes (with new content) any time soon?

I must know.... I miss cocking about with cars.