Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

evol262 posted:

Right, because borderline behavior in a D&D game is totally worth severing a friendship over. Presumably there's some other reason they like this guy.

I believe the idea is that a non-rear end in a top hat person, when addressed directly and frankly, will try to resolve the conflict in a non-confrontational manner, because as a non-rear end in a top hat, he or she desires the friendship to continue and is willing to consider the viewpoint of others and accordingly act in a rational, mature manner.

Otherwise? No one needs two assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

evol262 posted:

Right, because borderline behavior in a D&D game is totally worth severing a friendship over. Presumably there's some other reason they like this guy.

I wouldn't really call the guy a friend, more like a friend of a friend and that friend happens to be the DM.

Hmm...how to explain this. This group of people is a group I played with just as I had graduated High School and D&D 3.0 had just come out. The DM was the first guy to try his hand at running it at the card shop we frequented, and ran a fairly successful campaign. It ended because the Rogue player couldn't show up, so he stalled the plot and made us all fight in a city arena for about 3 sessions before we finally decided we didn't want to do it anymore.

The DM moved to Austin for a bit and then came back recently. He started up a game with the Rogue and a few others, then eventually invited me because they needed more people, specifically more people who knew the system. I made a wizard because they were missing it and offered to make an Evoker so that I wouldn't be all game breaky, but the DM encouraged me to challenge him. Unfortunately, that's meant I end encounters then wait 5 rounds for them to finish their death throes.

There's been a schism developing between the Rogue+the Cleric and the rest of us, as they have a lot of gear that seems awarded through favortism and seem oblivious to others. The Rogue on a few occasions has offered gold for someone to assassinate whatever party member happens to be annoying them at the time (we thought this was a joke, but he insists it is sincere), and the Ranger has said the next time he tries to make that deal, he's getting shot.

The reason we haven't told him to pack his poo poo is that he's a close friend of the DM, and I'm sure that if one goes, so will the other.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Male Man posted:

I believe the idea is that a non-rear end in a top hat person, when addressed directly and frankly, will try to resolve the conflict in a non-confrontational manner, because as a non-rear end in a top hat, he or she desires the friendship to continue and is willing to consider the viewpoint of others and accordingly act in a rational, mature manner.

Otherwise? No one needs two assholes.

I suppose that telling someone "I'm upset with what your make-believe character did, so I'm cutting you out of my life, and uninviting you from anything you might share with our social circle" just might put someone on the defensive. "I'm uninviting you" doesn't really qualify as non-confrontational.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I wouldn't really call the guy a friend, more like a friend of a friend and that friend happens to be the DM.
This makes perfect sense, and yeah, the DM would probably pack his toys and go home.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

evol262 posted:

I suppose that telling someone "I'm upset with what your make-believe character did, so I'm cutting you out of my life, and uninviting you from anything you might share with our social circle" just might put someone on the defensive. "I'm uninviting you" doesn't really qualify as non-confrontational.
The problem is that his make-believe character is controlled directly by not-make-believe him, and he is being a wanton fuckhead through his character. There is no real distinction to be made between him and his character, because the actions of one = the actions of the other. The only people who try to draw such a broad line between the two are the "but that's what my character would do!" assholes who never make the game more fun for anyone; this is because it's not fun to have a guy be an rear end in a top hat to you, whether it's being a "make believe" rear end in a top hat or a "real world" rear end in a top hat. The result is still rear end in a top hat behavior.

Here's how the exchange should go, assuming he's not being a prick intentionally:
:coal:: Hey, could you kindly stop being a loot vacuum? It's killing the game because you try to take literally everything, up to and including things obviously meant for others.
:kiddo:: I had no idea, also I am bad at recognizing lovely actions! I will pay attention and stop trying to loot like I'm playing solo.

Here's assuming he is a prick:
:coal:: Hey, could you kindly stop being a loot vacuum? It's killing the game because you try to take literally everything, up to and including things obviously meant for others.
:byodood:: No! I deserve to have all the things because I'm friends with the DM!
:coal:: Look, here's the deal. You either knock it off and let others have a fair share in this game, or you don't play. And if you can't handle playing a team game like an adult, then we have no reason to interact at all.
:byodood:: Well if I go, I'm taking the DM with me!
:coal:: If he would rather play with you than us, fine. We have other options.

tl;dr: Not gaming at all is better than gaming with assholes.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

evol262 posted:

So? If a group implodes because one rear end in a top hat is too immature to stop being an rear end in a top hat then you are probably better off finding a better group anyway. Meeting new people isn't the end of the world and neither is not playing elf games.

Chance II fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 21, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

evol262 posted:

Presumably there's some other reason they like this guy.

Chance II posted:

Meeting new people isn't the end of the world

Both sides seem to be making some bold assumptions.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Both sides seem to be making some bold assumptions.
Yeah, what if you meet a new person and that person is Azathoth? It would be the end of the world!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Honestly your best course is to try and pull the GM aside and explain to him you're uncomfortable about the situation. If the problem player is a friend of a friend, the GM in this case, he's the one the problematic person is most likely to listen to. If the GM is avoiding your PMs, try giving him a call and discussing it. A roleplaying game is a game, you should be having fun when you play it. Escalating it in the game is only going to create an us vs. them mentality, although sadly it sounds like that has begun. If the GM is unprepared to resolve the issue, then you may want to consider gracefully stepping out of the game if you're not having fun. If you have to do that, don't make a big drama of it, just find a quiet way to exit the game.

But ideally that is a last resort. If your friend is a reasonable person you should definitely be able to sort out the problem without that sort of drama.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

evol262 posted:

Presumably there's some other reason they like this guy.

Often there's not, and it's the only game you can find. (Steeeeeeve :argh:)

--

I put a Deck Of Many Things in my game once, it was a terrible idea. The first card imprisoned a PC on another plane. I realised I had hosed up, and asked if they wanted to wind back and I'd put some other item in instead.

The player who's guy was imprisoned was passionately against the idea. He said he'd play as one of the hirelings and they had to go and rescue his main PC. So we had an adventure in Baator where they busted him (and a couple of hundred other unlucky adventurers) out of prison. But it derailed the game and I still feel like an arsehole fo putting an item in the game that can instakill people.

Edit: missed a new page, sorry.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I love how this thread vacillates between "interesting stories" and "let's give advice and/or argue about gaming etiquette or the social contract."

That's not sarcasm, I kinda do love it.

Wands of Wonder/Decks of Many Things/et cetera are interesting little items, in that they only really work out well in a game that's willing to take itself less seriously or with players who are willing to run with them; if you're having any kind of srs bznss with your roleplaying they're a gaping maw of suck.

When I was young and foolish I tossed a custom-built artifact into a game that was like a Wand of Wonder but it had one of the dreaded 600-result megatables; even then I had to fudge it a bit and start "accidentally" reading the "wrong" results sometimes to ensure no single player got screwed over too much. In the end I got lucky; the PCs hit the result where the item's creator shows up to reclaim it and allows them to pick and choose which of the various curses/changes/benefits they want to keep and then reverts the rest of them.

The reason they blow is that they take story control away from both the GM and the players and turn it over to polyhedral chunks of plastic, which do not care whether you're having fun or not. I wouldn't say that's always a bad thing - some groups, in some games, thrive on that kind of chaos - but they're definitely a thing to think very long and hard about putting into your game.

Also, does anyone else remember the tricks you could do with random-result items in 2nd Edition AD&D with a Wild Mage? There were things called Bracers of Brandishing that, when used with a wand, made the wand burn through 1d10-5 charges per use (so you could actually spend -4 charges and thus gain 4 charges). Wild Mages had a chance to choose the "random" result on a randomized-result item... so give them a wand of wonder and the aforementioned bracers and they could be tossing fireballs out of that wand all day every day and gaining charges as they went. God, it was broken.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Also, does anyone else remember the tricks you could do with random-result items in 2nd Edition AD&D with a Wild Mage? There were things called Bracers of Brandishing that, when used with a wand, made the wand burn through 1d10-5 charges per use (so you could actually spend -4 charges and thus gain 4 charges). Wild Mages had a chance to choose the "random" result on a randomized-result item... so give them a wand of wonder and the aforementioned bracers and they could be tossing fireballs out of that wand all day every day and gaining charges as they went. God, it was broken.
In an odd bit of theorycrafting at one point, I got into a discussion on how horrible a Wild Mage would be at the helm of a Spelljammer ship. Mainly because the speed is directly correlated to the level of the caster at the helm, or so it goes I believe. So, with the random fluctuations of a Wild Mage... well, it'd make for a bump trip, we decided.

We later felt that it would be an interesting form of punishment for underlings when in a fleet situation. That's the ship you don't want to go on, for sure. Then it devolved into Barfbags of Holding and other such humor.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

AlphaDog posted:

I put a Deck Of Many Things in my game once, it was a terrible idea. The first card imprisoned a PC on another plane. I realised I had hosed up, and asked if they wanted to wind back and I'd put some other item in instead.

The player who's guy was imprisoned was passionately against the idea. He said he'd play as one of the hirelings and they had to go and rescue his main PC. So we had an adventure in Baator where they busted him (and a couple of hundred other unlucky adventurers) out of prison. But it derailed the game and I still feel like an arsehole fo putting an item in the game that can instakill people.

I've seen it used well in one game; thanks to some bone-headed decisions on my part we were faced with the destruction of the universe at the hands (tentacles?) of Cthulhoid beings. To fix it, we had to in essence recreate the universe and all of the elements of it. Time was a factor, as the Cthuloids were steadily eating away at everything, and we were scouring the universe for artifacts representing the various parts that made up the universe. The Deck specifically represented the chaos inherent in the structure of the universe. If we drew from the Deck, it would disappear to somewhere else and we were unlikely to find it again in time.

Our climatic battle happened in the void where the universe used to be, and we had to activate each artifact during the battle and then cast it into the growing proto-universe we were building. When it came time for the Deck, our ranger pulled every card, tossing them into the proto-universe as he pulled them. The last card he didn't pull, it was just what was left after he pulled the other cards, so for his last pull he simply jumped into the rift himself holding the card.

It worked because we knew not to pull before the time came, and pulling during the battle meant the effects didn't take place. We never found out what the cumulative effects of the pulls were, although he went steadily more crazy with each card. It's the only time I've seen the Deck used as a vital plot point, and by focusing on the Deck's nature instead of its results it really worked well. Our DM even made it a meta-point; the last artifact used was the Deck, and it's inherent randomness explained why in the new universe so much was dictated by the RNG. In effect, we rolled dice to determine the results of our characters actions because randomness was the last element added to the universe.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
^^^ That is really cool.

The reason they blow is that they take story control away from both the GM and the players and turn it over to polyhedral chunks of plastic, which do not care whether you're having fun or not. I wouldn't say that's always a bad thing - some groups, in some games, thrive on that kind of chaos - but they're definitely a thing to think very long and hard about putting into your game.

I actually had a player (playing an artificer) who got the rod of wonder and actually spent part of his item creation pool to get new abilities related to it. I was so chuffed that he liked it that much that I didn't charge him much, and let him get abilities like "roll twice, take the better" and "burn infusions to use effects you've seen before".

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 22, 2012

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Had two great experiences within one game a while back before I moved halfway across the world. What started as a 3 player + DM game with some drinks and the like ended as a 2 player game + DM when one of the individuals ended up dropping out on us. Pathfinder, in Forgotten Realms.

We were damned to play anyways, so we set up with our characters: My friend rolled a... Rogue? At the time, and played very cleverly using the situation. I decided to play a Barbarian; "Jwoon"; who was on his journey after a vision quest led him to believe by eating the mythical strong monsters, he'd become strong himself.

Our first play found us getting Ambushed by a party of Drow. I believe it ended up with Myself, my friend, and a NPC cleric for healing purposes. We get ambushed; one of them breaking their bow on a critical failure, and the other missing his shot. The other individual wades into melee.

This individual drow, who decided to come into melee, was met by a critical hit, isntantly killing him. The Drow, down a bow, out numbered, and just losing a man in one swing, surrender instantly.

I'll stop here to say that this was my first experience with Drow (As a person). I played my barbarian as a 'noble savage' type, so when they surrendered, I accepted. The other player, knowing what Drow were, had them tied up and follow us while we continued on our journey. I got alot of talking out of them by being generally friendly. We ended up burying their companion(s) after they lead us back to their camp, which had been ransacked by some mysterious horsemen.

For those of you who don't know: Drow arn't friendly, and probably hated me, percieved me as weak minded, and were plotting their escape. They actually managed to break free, once we got into an escalated fight with a swarm of Giant Bees. During the encounter where we managed to lure them into a corridor, they broke free of their bonds (Which they were secretly working on), used their SLA Darkness to blind Myself and the enemies I was fighting, then made a break for it. I sent the rogue after them; but he only managed to capture one as they were escaping up a ladder.

The Bee-hive ended up containing alot of Wax and Honey, so we had a merchant come out and get it while we took our Drow prisoner back to the nearby town to hand him over to some... Good Drow deity? I had collected some honey during our raid, so I, being the beign barbarian, decided to share. The rogue and cleric accepted. The Drow didn't.

The next scene would be my character, a 20str human barbarian, pinning down a drow and shoving honey down his throat, going "IT'LL PUT SOME FAT ON YA ELF, KEEP YOU WARM DURING THE WINTERS." And laughing. Cause foood is a good thing. Always.

Second memorable encounter was enacted totally by my friend. We manage to 'sneak' (Read: Silence and kill, then wear the uniforms of the gate guards) our way into this keep. We stumble across the living quarters, where some humans and orcs were gambling and sleeping.

The rogue, a clever bastard of a player, gets a bright idea: They're playing a dice gambling game, and has me go over, make friendly contact, and play with them. Naturally, with my horrible d20 rolls, I lose. Alot.

Rogue: You've seem to be on a lucky winning streak (Talkin to the npc human)
Human: Sure am.
*Couple of more rolls lost*
Rogue: Really lucky, it seems.
Human: Sure am.
*Couple of more rolls lost*
Rogue: *Snatches up the dice*
Rogue: THESE DICE.... THEY'RE WEIGHTED! *Bluffs, suceeds*
Human: What?
Orc: What?
Rogue: THIS HUMAN... IS TAKING YOUR MONEY!

By now his yelling has woken up one of the Orcs; who; with some quick thinking, gets targeted by my (Abmysal) bluff score. "THEY TOOK YOUR GOLD." while pointing to the humans.

Technically, while not true, there was alot of gold on the table. The bluff ends up passing, and the orc, in a fit of rage, gets up and starts an axe-fight with the human. This escalates to a full on human vs orc fight while myself and the rogue sitting on the sidelines until all but one orc is left standing. My axe takes him down. Encounter completed.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem

Wands of Wonder/Decks of Many Things/et cetera are interesting little items, in that they only really work out well in a game that's willing to take itself less seriously or with players who are willing to run with them; if you're having any kind of srs bznss with your roleplaying they're a gaping maw of suck.

My first ever dnd campaign fell soundly into the first camp, which is why nothing went horribly wrong when the Rod of Wonders showed up. I'm pretty sure the DM was rolling on this thing http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060807a with the rare result table essentially cut out.

The game was set in Oriental Adventures and the Rod fell into the eager hands of the party's trickster-like Kitsune (Asian Werefox) Rogue, Twen. Twen had no ranged weapons, and after the initial sneak attack wasn't always able to get himself into a favourable rogue position. Unable to stab the archers on the hill, or the giant across the ravine, Twen would use the Rod. The negative effects of the rod were easily ignored by our party, and the positive effects ranged from amusing to generally pleasant. We were pretty good at looking on the bright side of events, and the DM was able to make things up on the fly should Rod's affects require it.

We escaped from guards with blinding clouds of butterflies and entertained nobility with colourful lightshows (which only sometimes burned). We once inadvertantly watered a grateful farmer's drought-starved field when Twen used the Rod to attack some kind of demon. One of the more interesting events was this:

A snake-cultist had gotten to the macguffin before us, while we were fighting his minions. Snatching it up off the alter, the cultist dropped our prize through the large portal ring he was holding. The portal ring was paired, and what goes in one ring comes out the other. The other ring was likely at his base of operations, and the cultist had just shoved the macguffin out of reach.

Twen attempted to stop the cultists with his Rod of Wonders but, unfortunately, the Rod shrunk Twen to 1/12th his size. The cultist, uninhibited, turned to leave. After a moment of swift planning, miniTwen polymorphed into his fox form. (Werefox). The party's ninja picked up the 1/12th size minifox and, with a spectacular roll, flung Twen through the cultist's portal ring as he fled out the door.

As the minions were mopped up and the cultist escaped into the distance, miniTwen dragged the macguffin back through the ring and carried it to the rest of the party. The Rod, and some quick improvisation, won the encounter. The cultist probably got sacrificed for his incompetence.

And the shrink-reversal spell cost most of the reward money.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I introduced the Deck of Many Things into my game and we're just now finishing the big storyarc that spawned from that, five or six levels later.

The actual effect for the player was wholly unremarkable (save for being the absolute worst case of bad luck I've ever seen - he was at highest concordance with the Deck and ended up with three ruin cards, having had to discard almost all the positive cards during drawing to boot), but you can give NPCs readings, and so he did at every chance he got. One of the NPCs was an Efreet sultan in the City of Brass, whose reading meant he would gain the enmity of a powerful being from another plane. The sultan thanked the party for the warning and off they went.

Several sessions later they are off on some adventure when they get sendings to the tune of "oh god help aargh." They hurry to the origin point and find a major city getting absolutely leveled by a small army of fire archons, sent by the sultan to give the entire material plane a message: if you're planning to come after me, think about this, and reconsider. Efreet don't gently caress around. And now they're just about to confer with the High Court of the Fey about this situation and then off to the City of Brass.

To negotiate with the sultan. Because once they completely hosed up negotiations with an elder dragon, and apparently the first thing you do after that is try the same thing on the one kind of creature that is even more notorious for being hard to negotiate with than dragons.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Many years ago, I was in a table-top 3.5 game. We were in a custom world, and I was playing a CE Drow Ranger (Enemy: Elves). This is the tale of how I talked an Elf into sacrificing herself for Lloth.

Some explanation here. There was the DM, and three regular players. Orion (yes, his parents named him that. I've seen the birth certificate) was our solid core. He played dependable classes and characters. He was playing a Human Cleric. Next was a man whose name escapes me, it's been so long, but he liked playing the 'wild/crazy' types. Think Pinky(Pie) before the latter ever came into being. He rolled a Human Fighter/Fencer who was channeling Hugh Laurie's character from Blackadder, a total fop. I was the groups 'experiment' guy, who would do builds and concepts just to see how they performed, and at the time had pretty much every book the group had memorized. Of course, my characters tended to die every 2-4 sessions, so it was all well and good.

Anyway, I was doing the Drow Ranger thing after some douchebag proclaimed you-know-who as the greatest most powerful character concept ever (end result: No it ain't.)And we pick up a fourth player, a guy who never played tabletop before. Good with numbers, not so much anything else. So we take half a session to help him build a character, myself taking the lead with optimization and general suggestions.

He decides he wants to play an Elven Druid based on the picture in the sourcebook.

Fair enough, we agree. It's a decent build, but probably a little too advanced for a beginner. We try to get him to roll a Sorc or a Fighter, but nope, he's dead set on Elvish Druid.

We're on point-builds, so we agree to give him a few extra points to play with, make up for his inexperience with a bit more brute power. Smart man, he ends up with 18 wisdom. This will be important later.

Oh, and yes, part of the reason why we didn't want him to roll that character was my guy, and I made it clear that my character would hate his forever and ever, amen. After a quick discussion with the GM, we come up with a reasonable explanation for why my guy would tolerate the Elf in the party. See, my guy was on a quest to get into the Seleigh/Unseligh (sp) Court, and air his greivance with someone before Oberon and Titania themselves, asking for their aid. GM and I figure that in order to get in, to maintian the balance of the court, I could only enter with an Elf. Cool enough, let's me play the "I'll tolerate you just long enough to get what I want out of you, then you're dead" card.

Moving on, the party enters the Underdark, where my character takes the lead. We encounter a Priestess of Lloth from my character's city who 'agrees' to help us, provided we do her a favour. You see, she needs to make a sacrifice to her (and my) goddess to allow her back into our city. Now, only I had UnderCommon as a language, so this conversation was 'private' between me and her. I could have done something different, but I wanted to challenge/exercise the roleplaying muscles of our new guy.

So I told the Priestess that it just so happens I brought this Elf down from the surface world, would she suffice? GM and the Core Crew immediately see what i'm planning. Priestess agrees, but how best to perform the sacrifice in such a manner that the other members of the party don't go homicidal on her?

In a moment of pure inspiration, I tell the party that we need to get sanctified before entering the city, for our protection of course, from all the evil stuff around. And I volunteer to go first, just to prove its safe. So the Priestess and I go into a side cavern, where I explain my deception, and ask her to perform some minor rite to make it look good. We'll go through it one person at a time, and the elf will go last.

I get 'annointed' due to my time on the surface, then I bring in the Cleric, and the Priestess beats his Knowledge Check to make it look like a standard 'they have permission to be here' spell she's casting. Cleric goes back, reports it's a legit thing, and then the Fighter goes in, and gets annointed.

In comes the elf, and the Crew is worried. GM requires that the Elf roll Sense Motive to see if anything is amiss, and the player waves off the roll saying that he trusts the cleric. Now, the rest of us know this guy. He's not in character when he said that. That's the player talking. So my character binds the Elf tightly, explaining that this is to symbolize the binding of hands against raising arms in the city, part of the ritual. Another Sense Motive check, and the guy rolls.

Oh, he has no skill in it, depending on the +4 from Wisdom. Well, he passes, and he knows I'm lying, so I explain that due to the animosity between Elves and Drow, an elf that is bound is less likely to be attacked and killed. The player buys that without a second thought.

At this point, I'm panicking on the indside. I'm committed to this course of action for my character, and the new guy just can't pick up on how bad of an idea this is.

Now it's time for the real sacrifice, and the priestess pulls out a kriss knife, one that's oozing with evil. GM tells the newguy to make another Sense Motive check, DC5. He's making this as easy as possible for the new guy, and I want him to pass.

New Guy rolls a natural 1. He doesn't beat the DC, so without a beat, the GM orders another skill roll.

The new guy refuses, letting his die stand as is. some of you may be thinking this is excellent roleplay on his part, but the truth of the matter is, it ain't. The guy just didn't quite understand what was going on, even when we told it to his face.

Well, the Elf stays still and the Priestess kills her for the glory of Lloth. The GM and the Crew take a break to sort out just how to respond to this, and the player is confused as to why he's dead when he had so many HP, and the knife only did d4+Str+Magic.

I'm in shock because I never expected this outcome. I expected an outbreak of common sense, and I explain (with crocodile tears) that Lloth rejected the Elvish Druid, and killed her during the ritual. The Crew understands, and the characters are quite suspiscious, but can't find a hole in my argument.

We end up giving the Priestess to the new guy, but he drops after another month. He couldn't wrap his head around this whole "Role Play" thing.

And that's my most notible gaming experience, where I unwittingly took advantage of a player/character, who refused to make logical connections and accept flatly stated facts and willingly sacrificed themselves to their enemy goddess for no benefit whatso ever. On one hand, it was an awesome (in a frightening sense) session, but on the other side, I still feel guilty over it.

Oh, and my character? Well, we got into the court through the Drow city, and Oberon decided that the best response to my grievance was single combat with my foe. I lost, and my character was bount to serve as a grunt in the Wild Hunt for the next 999 years or so. Made a new character.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

berryjon posted:

Now, only I had UnderCommon as a language, so this conversation was 'private' between me and her. I could have done something different, but I wanted to challenge/exercise the roleplaying muscles of our new guy.

"Private" meaning private? With notes, or in another room or something?

Thanks for giving more evidence for my theory that doing that is always a bad idea.

quote:

We end up giving the Priestess to the new guy, but he drops after another month. He couldn't wrap his head around this whole "Role Play" thing.

I can't imagine why, except for when he told you he trusted you and you delivered his character as a burnt offering.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah...

If you really wanted him to realize something was up OOC, why didn't you tell him OOC?

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

berryjon posted:

Killing Newbie as 'roleplay'

I know this guy was pretty thick, but we all can be when entering a new situation like playing an rpg for the first time. Especially when your assuming your fellow players AREN'T out to kill you.

Really, it doesn't make much sense for your character to want to get rid of this guy anyways if he needs him for later. Sounds a lot like you were being one of THOSE guys, the ones from the awful stories.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Yeah never try to kill the newbie's character, and never set him up to die. You should have just said "hey instead of being an elf, be a drow, they're pretty much the same thing and my character won't want to kill yours!" Then instead of extra stats you could just drop the LA (also LA is terrible).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt here; I mean, the new guy seemed more'n a little thick. But... drat, man, that's cold.

I dunno, the guy was insistent on the dice roll standing and he knew the character wasn't a fit for the group and whatnot, but I just... I've always been a big fan of the New Guy Grace Period myself. Until the New Guy is no longer a New Guy, everyone finds some way to holster the intra-party hostility because otherwise the New Guy always ends up getting the shaft from a fellow player.

Ain't no better way to drive someone away from the hobby.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What a loving lovely way to a treat a new person and smugly call it 'roleplaying', good job I guess?

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

berryjon posted:

:smith:

Goddamn, this is bad.
Even in our current group, as unenlightened as it is, there is one golden rule, and that's to never let your party down (unless we're playing Paranoia, then all bets are off). I mean, I can sort of get the "cool" aspect of being an awful sociopath and sacrifing someone for your own good, but... It was a new dude. Always go easy on the new dude.
Good job on exiling him, I suppose.

Edit:
And to not to be sanctimonious, your story was definitely worth a read, so I'm not criticising you for posting it.

A smug sociopath fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 23, 2012

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Going back to the Deck of Many Things discussion, the basic deck and rod are items I'm opposed to, mostly due to their wild swing between game-breaking, game-ruining, and useless effects. Like so many things, there exists the possibility to be used well (Byers2142's creation myth in particular was really cool), but they're usually not.

Still, I like the concept of the random-generator item. So I made my own. Essentially an extension of the Robe of Useful Items with some DNA from a kender's pouch (None from the kender itself, just its pouch), it's a 100-entry table of most of the 3.5 mundane and alchemical items. Yes, including the ladder and ten-foot pole. Here, if you want it. It's pretty well balanced, but the price is just a guess.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Yeah I don't know a single (good) DM who used either table from the book, especially not the Deck of Many Destroyed Games. Usually the DM in question makes their own table based on the theme, tone, and mood of the game intended.

I am so stealing the pouch of many things.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
We did Gardmore Abbey a while back and the player of our barbarian insisted on a pull from the Deck. He managed to get a knight out of the deal. We did tell him that if he got imprisoned or something, he was on his own, though.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
While playing in an AD&D 2e game a while ago, our adventuring party stumbled on a Deck of Many Things. I, playing a Wild Mage, decided to take a crack, using my ability to determine the result of a random event power.

I (luckily) succeeded on my 50/50 chance to do this, and elected to draw 5 cards, each of my choice. This had two effects:

1) The game died a horrible, horrible death.
2) The GM learned a very valuable lesson regarding not leaving all loot rolls to chance.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
What would happen if one put a deck of many things in an automatic dealing machine?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Poker would become very, very interesting...

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.
I was playing in a game once where the party found a "Deck of Useless Things", a mis-made Deck of Many Things that would only give things that were inevitably pointless. One character was granted a castle but not the knowledge of where it was. Another one gained the companionship of a group of squirrels who "will follow your orders to the best of their abilities", which it turned out wasn't very far since they weren't trained, they just liked him. We also summoned a spectral head that gave us a clue to a puzzle but told us we wouldn't understand the clue until we'd already solved the puzzle. I wish I could find the piece of paper with the effects on it, we had enough for a 52 card deck and they were all interesting but pointless.

We never did find that castle.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

That is brilliant. Let's try to reconstruct it.

You've given items 1-3 already.

4: a thick visor which switches the character's vision and hearing, making them see sound and hear light.
e:
5: An RPG book containing many powerful secrets and detailed instructions on how to obtain them, for an RPG system and setting the character is unconnected to.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 23, 2012

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Edit: Ignore this post.

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 23, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

That is brilliant. Let's try to reconstruct it.

You've given items 1-3 already.

4: a thick visor which switches the character's vision and hearing, making them see sound and hear light.
e:
5: An RPG book containing many powerful secrets and detailed instructions on how to obtain them, for an RPG system and setting the character is unconnected to.

I think this warrants its own thread, or at least a gobstopper-length entry in Dungeons & Douchebags. :D

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
6. Amulet of Turn Dead
7. Sword so Vorpal it doesn't even leave a cut as it passes through

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

8. Wand of Wonder-Where-That-Kid-I-Went-To-High-School-With-Is-Now
9. Shield of +1 vs. Flung Monkey Feces
10. Girdle of Average Human Strength

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
What about the favor of a dead god?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I'm not so sure I want to attract ANY kind of attention from an Atropal. :gonk:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

11. Scroll of Bigby's Offensive Gesture
12. Wand of Non-Magic Missile (does 1d6 damage as a thrown weapon)
13. Periapt of Proof Against Preaching (allows the user to ignore any nonmagical sermon)
14. Figurines of No Power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
15. Movable Rod
16. Rouge Dice
17. Ring of Nine Faucets