Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is that all sarcastic or something? This is the "let's buy motorcycles" thread so I assumed he was actually looking for comments about the bike in question. It is an attractive vehicle, but if you're going to rip off your exhaust system going over a speed bump it's hardly very useful as anything but a track or show bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I want this thing bad

That's not a lack of ground clearance, that's the Buell principle of mass centralization. :)

I'm not sure these upgrades doubled the street value of the stock bike, even with currency conversion factored in. I think you'd be happier starting off with bone stock and going à la carte. Or better yet, dropping the other 8 grand on a second bike or something slightly more responsible...

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Sir Cornelius posted:

It's a SOHC K3. It's a pretty good bike but far from inexpensive to keep running. If you really want a "reliable" decades old Honda CB750 you should look out out for a DOHC 1979–1982 CB750F or CB750K.

I'm not in a position to actually buy it; my garage is full. But I've always heard that the DOHCs were a regression from the older SOHC models. Or were they just a letdown from high expectations?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The SOHC's were a technological and engineering marvel when they came out. The DOHC's.......werent.

There was nothing really special about them. They arent bad bikes, but they didnt make the splash that the SOHC's did.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Is that all sarcastic or something? This is the "let's buy motorcycles" thread so I assumed he was actually looking for comments about the bike in question. It is an attractive vehicle, but if you're going to rip off your exhaust system going over a speed bump it's hardly very useful as anything but a track or show bike.

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I've only got one year of riding under my belt and I appreciate what you had to say. :)

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Safetyland posted:

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I've only got one year of riding under my belt and I appreciate what you had to say. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjMYQyhjiYA&t=50s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safetyland posted:

Well, don't be so self-deprecating then, calling yourself an idiot and stuff! Nothing wrong with learning...I'm learning more and more about my bike every day I spend wrenching on it.

I also think it's a really sexy looking exhaust (pervert!), but yeah it's definitely going to get ripped off the first time you go over a speed bump or driveway or curb or pothole or whatever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wanted: HI IM KEVIN

quote:

its gor new tiers ans new cluch and new thrrotl cabell just put on i had all the engn all redon i got it safteed last yer if you wont to have a look at it just call kevin at 519-729-7732 and the peice if ferm but pless call me as my email is not wokring right nwo

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

See if he'll trade it for a handful of magic beans. Better yet, yell "LOOK OVER THERE!", take his keys and drive away.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That guy has to be dyslexic or special education or something like that, nobody spells that bad without a reason.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aaand this guy is why I usually filter out anything newer than 1990 when I'm browsing for interesting bikes.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-2003-Honda-CBR-RARE-ALL-BLACK-OVER-2000-IN-MODS-W0QQAdIdZ363150364

quote:

2003 CBR600RR STILL AVAILABLE AS LONG AD IS STILL UP!
IF NOT SOLD BY MARCH 31st I AM KEEPING THE BIKE

Great starter bike, I have been riding for a little bit over a year and this was my first bike. Reason selling is I cant afford it any more as I recently just purchased a car. Dont let anybody tell you to get a 250cc bike. Take it easy on this bike as you wont outgrow it whereas the 250 you will outgrow it in a month tops, promised.

Real head turner, looks sexy and sounds like a beast.

- All Black
- 31000 KM - TONS OF LIFE LEFT
- Synthetic oil always used
- Premium fuel always used
- Tinted windscreen
- Flushmounts
- LED Brake lights on passenger pegs
(very unique you wont find it anywhere else on any bike + extra safe and easy to see when braking) refer to second picture

- Red rim tape
- Red chain tape
- Rear fender license plate eliminator (can push plate back)
- CBR600RR frame sliders
- VORTEX adjustable rearsets/pedals ($500 value) [5th image]
- YOSHIMURA SLIPON - sounds like a BEAST ($700) [2nd image]
- Plenty of life on tires
- Chain lubed every week

*bike has been dropped onto a curb, NOT while riding, fairing scratch and crack*
no serious damage [Last image] [suuure -- ed.]

Over $2000 in modifications
I dont have time to certify/safety it, I want a real quick sale for $4900 AS IS
or
If I have to take time off to safety and certify, it will be $5600

Tires MAY need to be changed for safety but I honestly think it'll pass.

I truly don't know why people say "if it doesn't sell by whenever I will happily keep it!" and poo poo. It doesn't make your bike any more desirable, it just says "look, I'm egotistical and indecisive". If after March 31 you aren't going to sell it, then take the ad down on March 31. It's just like the people saying NO TIRE KICKERS OR TEST PILOTS.

Also, getting a safety certification here costs about 70 bucks if there's nothing wrong with the vehicle, so the fact that he is charging 500 dollars indicates to me that his tires are completely ruined. Unsurprisingly.

And if you read these ads for any length of time, you'd come to believe that motorcycles never ever fall over except in driveways and when they're sitting at the side of the road. :rolleyes:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
The funny part to me is that he spent all that time on aftermarket poo poo like kickin'rad chain tape, yet he doesn't have time to make it street legal (guessing safety cert is like state inspection?)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The ultimate Bro bike: http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/2911818707.html

"10K invested, only to ride to the gym to get swole, BRO"

quote:

100% customized DRZ400sm unlike you will find any other place in the world....People are selling stock 09 drz400sm 5200-5500....that is if you can find one that has not been beet on, dumped...one with oh by the way story.

My DRZ400SM is a show winning custom bike with only 3100 miles (street no dirt- going back and forth to my gym)
$10,000 spent on this bike

The Supermoto was stripped down, frame, swing arm powdercoated, wheels delaced-hubs powdercoated, calipers taken apart- they were powdercoated and dozens of other parts, full fmf exhaust with fmf header, professionally jetted at Suzuki Dealer, .its spot on!

Bike is 100% perfect, you only live once BUY THE BIKE, if you dont your going to keep kicking yourself saying, drat I should have wish I would have....

watch the vid to see all the details...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6POQ25uqC8o

Low ballers can lick your balls as it isnt going to be sold for 5k so dont ask

watch the vid over and over and after your done drooling give me a call...CASH ONLY, NO SHIPPING TO NIGERIA SORRY SCAMMERS F-OFF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6POQ25uqC8o

401-402-0860 LEAVE YOUR NAME/NUMBER IF I AM NOT AROUND- DONT HANGUP...
FYI- The bike is inside my house located in CT, its about 3 hours drive but you wont ever find another DRZ like this....

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

darkhand posted:

The funny part to me is that he spent all that time on aftermarket poo poo like kickin'rad chain tape, yet he doesn't have time to make it street legal (guessing safety cert is like state inspection?)

Yeah, it's the general roadworthiness inspection. Tires, chain, brakes, fork, cables, speedometer, headlight, stuff like that. Almost certainly he's trashed the tires and doesn't want to spend another couple hundred bucks replacing them, but then again it might be something far more insidious.

I really love the title of the ad: VERY RARE ALL BLACK! Wow, really? What a unique color scheme that is! :rolleye:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

LOW BALLERS CAN LICK YOUR BALLS

God, that guy sounds like a pretentious douche. I don't even think $5K is a lowball

:wtc:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Doesn't even have the baller dual pipes. Not a real man.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Theres no way theres 10K stuck in that bike, nor is there any way its "100% customized" its got some mega-played candy powder coat and thats it.

That bike should be up for about 4K tops.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

"Wheel...CENTER SECTION...POWDERCOATED". :v:

Edit: 1:58..."Feel the heat coming off the undercarriage there? Oh yeah bro"

I bet the barbed wire decals just totally put him over the top.

Lollin at this too:
http://providence.craigslist.org/off/2898780591.html

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 20, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

quote:

FYI- The bike is inside my house located in CT, its about 3 hours drive but you wont ever find another DRZ like this....

3 hours drive from where? I'm in KILLWAUKEE BRO, pretty sure thats not 3 hours drive

BRO

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Called and left msg, offered him $4k... Can't wait to see if I hear back!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, it's the general roadworthiness inspection. Tires, chain, brakes, fork, cables, speedometer, headlight, stuff like that.

Whoah, nanny state alert.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

clutchpuck posted:

Whoah, nanny state alert.

I couldn't live in a nanny state. The DRZ is the first vehicle I've had in almost 5 yrs with a working horn....

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nanny province, actually. And Ontario hates motorcycles with a passion.

Not that it's a bad idea to have the bike inspected, especially since people don't ride them for 6 months of the year, but it's still an annoyance.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Olde Weird Tip posted:

laffo, 10k Spent on red powder and stickers
still has the poo poo horrible Smurf-hat axle sliders.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Shimrod posted:

That guy has to be dyslexic or special education or something like that, nobody spells that bad without a reason.

I don't know, go into AI proper and read some of CatTerrist's posts. They have been getting better recently however.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Aargh posted:

I don't know, go into AI proper and read some of CatTerrist's posts. They have been getting better recently however.

That's not fair he actually *IS* a cat.... That other guy's either bilingual or an idiot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

echomadman posted:

laffo, 10k Spent on red powder and stickers
still has the poo poo horrible Smurf-hat axle sliders.

Somewhere theres a powdercoat guy laughing his rear end off in a pile of money

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Called and left msg, offered him $4k... Can't wait to see if I hear back!

Ever get a reply?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Somewhere theres a powdercoat guy laughing his rear end off in a pile of money

Ever get a reply?

I did not unfortunately... Such a shame, that bike was Supa FLY!:froggonk:

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2915526332.html

Ive had this bike for about a year. it has almost 10k miles i got it at 6k miles. i have dropped the bike 2 times, once on each side while in a parking lot. minor scratches. the seat is ripped from wear n tear.. now, i did an oil change on the bike about two weeks ago and aparantly i took out the wrong plug. I actually took out the neutral cam stopper. When i drained the oil, the bike was in first gear. So now the bike is stuck in 1st gear and will not go into neutral or 2nd. Ive tried to fix it but it just wont come out of 1st. Its probably a simple fix but a mechanic should look at it. It may also need a new clutch. Below is a link to the Hyosung forum that shows what i did. lol. Anyways, im ready to move on to a faster bike. i dont want to mess with this one anymore. Its a nice bike and it is definitly a good starter bike. I just replaced the rear brake pads and the engine runs great.

woops!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sounds like a pretty good case for RTFM.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

An observer posted:

aparantly i took out the wrong plug

He obviously got the drain plug right, so what other plug was he trying to remove?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I think he mistook the neutral cam stopper for the drain plug, and pulled out the former instead of the latter.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I googled "neutral cam stopper hyosung" since I can't figure out how that confusion should be made -- the only access to anything like that on my bike, as far as I know, is with the crankcase open -- and guess what I found

another forum posted:

I decided to send in my month-old GV250 for first servicing

however, I had a new problem on hands... I can't find neutral gear anymore!

I slowly, cautiously rode the bike back to the mechanic and confronted him with the problem. He sheepishly asked for a copy of the service manual...I went back to the inter-net and down-loaded the relevant sections... lo! and behold! The mechanic mistook the neutral stopper cam-rod as the engine-oil drain plug! and he re-installed that with the spring in the wrong position! Hence, no neutral gear!!!

Welp, apparently it is just a confusing feature of these Hyosungs. Superior Korean engineering, I guess?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Alright I don't know if I'm doing this right, but here is an ad I found online for a model I like that is relatively close to me. I know nothing about bikes, as my other thread clearly states. Can y'all give me a rundown of this ad, red flags, etc. and give me an idea of what I should be looking for?

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2005-HONDA-VT750-Shadow-Aero-102313032

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I can't imagine you'd have many problems getting a bike from a registered motorcycle dealer, even if it is a salvage.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

WerrWaaa posted:

Alright I don't know if I'm doing this right, but here is an ad I found online for a model I like that is relatively close to me. I know nothing about bikes, as my other thread clearly states. Can y'all give me a rundown of this ad, red flags, etc. and give me an idea of what I should be looking for?

Salvage certificate = don't buy it. A salvage title means the bike was wrecked, totaled by insurance, and then purchased back and repaired. A lot of the time that means the bike just suffered a lot of cosmetic damage, and it may even be 100% perfect, but it introduces a level of risk that isn't worth it, especially for a first-time bike owner.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would suggest looking for a Shadow 600, Virago 535, something in that displacement range. I know it's a big heavy cruiser but 750 just seems too big for a beginner to me.

I really regret the loss of the 400cc class in the American market. What can you buy new in the USA that's between 250 and 600cc? The DRZ400 and a bunch of dirt bikes., that's it. Yet I've never heard anyone say either "the DRZ400 is overpowered" or "the DRZ400 is underpowered". I think it's just the ideal engine size for beginners, non-interstate commuters, city riding, two-lane highways...where did it go?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
A salvage title also tanks the value at resale. Whoever gave me my big red glowing title was misinformed, the wreck that Damaged the bike was never reported and the bike was never salvaged so it was clean titled.

When I got rid of it I actually had wrecked it and repaired it again and I traded it outright for a truck.

Before anyone spazzes on me for selling a double wrecked bike, I gave full disclosure. The meth head I traded with wrapped it around a telephone post doing wheelies 2 weeks after he got it. Thank god for online release of registration forms.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

WerrWaaa posted:

I used to browse Cycle Trader, until eBay started doing straight classifieds and cut into their core business. It now tends to lean toward dealer-placed ads, which is really not where you want to be with a used bike IMHO. This is where bikes go to get marked up again for no particularly good reason.

If you're into retro styled cruisers, the 00-03 Shadow ACEs are probably more plentiful in the wild and tend to be in the 2800-3500 range for clean examples. Is it a bit much for an absolute beginner? Maybe, but it depends on a few other factors, like your frame, maturity, etc. Consensus here is to start with a roadworthy beater, and in most cases I'd agree. This is partly derived from the likelihood of dropping your first bike, and you want to get through this rite of passage physically, emotionally, and financially unscathed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Salvage certificate = don't buy it. A salvage title means the bike was wrecked, totaled by insurance, and then purchased back and repaired. A lot of the time that means the bike just suffered a lot of cosmetic damage, and it may even be 100% perfect, but it introduces a level of risk that isn't worth it, especially for a first-time bike owner.

For me its more about resell value. Hard to sell a salvage title.