Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah but he could smoke your Civic.

Also, non-wheeled bag? What the? I love my wheeled bag. Carrying gear is for chumps.

I have a Subaru :colbert:

I don't have anything in particular against wheeled bags but I take all my gear out after playing and put in on a shelf and cram my bag on the bottom shelf, I was thinking a wheeled bag has more structure and it would be something I couldn't really "put away".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I use a Warrior backpack hockey bag. I probably look ridiculous but it's sure as hell easy to carry. Also it was like $25.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I also have a backpack bag (Easton) and can vouch for the awesomeness.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I have an older CCM v4.0 bag that's lasted me for almost 2 years with no tears and is plenty big for all my player gear. I'd say that this is the closest to it.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
My bag just recently went south with rips and broken zippers. It lasted me 9 years, so I suppose that's a pretty good run. This conversation is especially fortuitous.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
I also want to purchase a backpack bag, couple people on my team have them, makes the 5-10 min walks to the locker room look so easy versus a strap digging into my shoulder from my bag.

robcat posted:

Backpacks seem cool though. My issue isn't so much shoulder strap digging into my shoulder as it is the bag slamming into my leg with every step I take.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that part too

dms666 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 22, 2012

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

dms666 posted:

I also want to purchase a backpack bag, couple people on my team have them, makes the 5-10 min walks to the locker room look so easy versus a strap digging into my shoulder from my bag.

I just got the cheapest one I found. There is a Mission one on icewarehouse for like 35 bucks. Not sure of the size though.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I'm going 40" this time around. Sick and tired of trying to shoehorn 17" shin pads and XXL pants in my current CCM.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Look Around You posted:

I have an Easton EQ 20 bag that I've been using for a year or so at least and it's holding up pretty well. No complaints about it so far. The EQ 20 one is apparently just 32", but the EQ 30 bag is 36" according to hockeymonkey.

This is awesome as hell.

Counterpoint - I too have had an EQ20 for just about 1 year, and it has pretty significant rips on all 3 sides of the U shaped zipper - it's to the point where I don't have to unzip it to get the smaller parts of gear out. Even the velcro handstrap enclosure has ripped.

Backpacks seem cool though. My issue isn't so much shoulder strap digging into my shoulder as it is the bag slamming into my leg with every step I take.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

robcat posted:

Wear it around front and hug it to hold on.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think backpacks look more lame than wheels. Maybe all my teammates secretly make fun of me behind my back :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only guy I know of that gets poo poo on for his bag is this dude with a Warrior bag that has a goddamn power cord.

It doesn't run a beer cooler or anything cool like that.. it powers a fan that forces air into the bag in an attempt to keep the stuff inside from developing hockey funk.

http://www.hockeyoutlet.com/HOprodinfo.php?category=HockeyWheelBags&productSKU=WarrKrnkWhlBg

To be fair, it's a pretty nice bag once you get past the "FUNK OFF" branding.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

I think backpacks look more lame than wheels. Maybe all my teammates secretly make fun of me behind my back :(

Whatever. It's a game, not a fashion show. People used to make fun of my badonka-donk rear end in my new giant pants. I cried and cried, but soon came around since then.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Whatever. It's a game, not a fashion show.

Look at this guy who doesn't own any Ed Hardy Warrior gear :smug:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Yeah but he could smoke your Civic.

Also, non-wheeled bag? What the? I love my wheeled bag. Carrying gear is for chumps.

lol, story time. I had a wheelie bag for a few years during youth hockey. Make the high school team as a freshman and haven't been given my school gear yet. Wheel my bag into the locker room and sit down. Captain of the team walks in, grabs my bag and throws it out of the locker room. He then grabs me and throws me out of the locker room and tells me not to come back until I have a proper bag. One of the other captains invites me back into the locker room, but drat if I wasn't as distraught as I've ever been. I then became his target, even though we were both defenders, during practices. It was a tough preseason. Stupid wheelie bag (also, I know the dude was just being an rear end in a top hat, but drat if it didn't make me hate the wheelie bags :colbert:).

On a slightly more serious note, the wheelie bags are viewed negatively on the whole by other players. At least around here. I personally couldn't care less, just enjoy sharing that anecdote. Actually, the other Bantam coach doesn't even allow his players to have wheelie bags.

19 o'clock posted:

Whatever. It's a game, not a fashion show. People used to make fun of my badonka-donk rear end in my new giant pants. I cried and cried, but soon came around since then.

Wait until you line someone up for a hip check. They won't make fun of that rear end much longer.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

wish i could beat up all you wheelie bag queers right now

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The only person on a team with a wheeled bag should be the goalie, and if your goalie is carrying all his gear without wheels, man up and lug your stuff the 20 feet to your car.

To be honest, I don't really care that much about bags as long as they can hold my gear and not fall apart. I still have a 35" CCM bag that I bought new for $20. No rips tears or anything. The inside liner looks sketchy but its big and has held up more than long enough to be worth the $20.

Rolling bags just seem to take up more space, add weight, and feel clumsy. The backpacks are a neat idea and sort of cool if you need to walk a decent distance or take public transportation.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
There's like three non-goalie players in my entire league that use wheelie bags. They are the butt end of most jokes, including those made by their own team.

If no wheelie bag scape goats are around, it moves on to backpacks or gym bags.

I feel if I don't stand up for someone, I'll start to be made fun of because my old rear end Itech bag has appropriate pockets for each skate.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Wait, skate pockets aren't cool either? Skate pockets used to be the norm growing up, is that why they aren't around anymore?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If rec league hockey players worried half as much about their passing as they do their gear bags, we'd all be in the NHL. :colbert:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah seriously you dudes put way too much stock in your hockey fashions :stare:

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

xzzy posted:

If rec league hockey players worried half as much about their passing as they do their gear bags, we'd all be in the NHL. :colbert:

Hey Mister, passing is about the only part of my game that isn't D-league. We're talking low-C league, easy. :colbert:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

cenzo posted:

There's like three non-goalie players in my entire league that use wheelie bags. They are the butt end of most jokes, including those made by their own team.

If no wheelie bag scape goats are around, it moves on to backpacks or gym bags.

I feel if I don't stand up for someone, I'll start to be made fun of because my old rear end Itech bag has appropriate pockets for each skate.

I have a guy on my team who carries all of his gear in an blue Ikea bag. People offered to give him a bag, but he likes it, so we've called him Ikea since then. I like the idea of backpack for gear, it wouldn't work with my goalie gear, but considering how little equipment most players have, it seems like an easy way to carry everything. I recently converted to a wheeled bag, I avoided it for the longest time because of concerns about durability, but it's been nice so far and it's a lot easier than trying to lug a huge goalie bag on my shoulder and navigate narrow doorways and stairs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, doors are the only reason to hate having a bag without wheels. Even double doors are awkward as gently caress to deal with because the bag gets hung up on the handle or something and everything goes to hell real fast.

One guy I skate with went with the backpack, and it seems pretty goddamn smart because he can breeze through the obstacle course to the locker room no problem. But I'm a cheap rear end and won't be swapping my current bag out until I start losing stuff falling through the holes.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I know a guy who brings his stuff in black trash bags to games. Making us all look like fools with such a cheaper option.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Look at this guy who doesn't own any Ed Hardy Warrior gear :smug:

I'm going to stencil "poo poo" on one leg and "BUTTS" on the other leg of my hockey pants. I'm starting a new trend of obscene hockey gear tats.

gio posted:

wish i could beat up all you wheelie bag queers right now

I love/hate that this is the legitimate statement that some people probably make. It's such a laughably petty part of hockey that you know some die-hards have latched on.

My friend asked me about taping the length of his stick for grip up and down. I said you can do it, but would probably get made fun of. This game is so conservative that I don't think I was wrong.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
As a goalie who has a normal over-the-shoulder bag and has mastered the art of squeezing it through single doors and narrow hallways, I'd just like to call all of you babies.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
My goalie equipment is in a big rear end Tour goalie bag that has straps that can be used like a backpack.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Saw the smallest player in the league (and someone who is playing 1-2 leagues above where they should be playing) get their first goal in their life against us a few nights ago in 4v4. It was a hard shot from the point along the ice that went off of one of us, off our defenseman's stick (which was right next to their stick) and into the net.

We heard the eruption from their team (as the score was now 6-1 us) and realized it was a bigger deal so we kept quiet about it going off of us until we were in the locker room. It was a pretty special moment and the other team kept the puck and everything.

Been a while since I've seen that, especially in a meaningless crappy 4v4 league, but was still a nice reminder of how much fun this game can be for people at all skill levels.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
When I played roller one of my teammates brought his gear in a lovesac bag.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
You guys are all sounding like goalies with your discussion on fashion. As a goalie, I carried my gear bag until last year when the cat decided I needed a new bag and pissed all over it. Now I have a wheeled back and typically :rolleyes: at players with roller gear bags.

sellouts posted:

Saw the smallest player in the league (and someone who is playing 1-2 leagues above where they should be playing) get their first goal in their life against us a few nights ago in 4v4. It was a hard shot from the point along the ice that went off of one of us, off our defenseman's stick (which was right next to their stick) and into the net.

We heard the eruption from their team (as the score was now 6-1 us) and realized it was a bigger deal so we kept quiet about it going off of us until we were in the locker room. It was a pretty special moment and the other team kept the puck and everything.

Been a while since I've seen that, especially in a meaningless crappy 4v4 league, but was still a nice reminder of how much fun this game can be for people at all skill levels.

:3:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I've got a backpack bag that also has wheels. what now??

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

I've got a backpack bag that also has wheels. what now??

You're the most stylin' mother fucker at the rink.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

:words:

Yeah that's great and all, but you have yet to weigh in on the wheelie bag issue at hand.

Really though, that's cool. While we were still in our learn-to-play class, we had a guy who blew out his ACL on the last day. He had to have surgery and miss the whole first season. It was pretty :smith:. He came back during our second season and when he got a goal, it was just like that. We all went nuts. It was pretty cool.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
We've got two dudes on our team who just started playing and can't skate very well. We told them to just camp out in front of the net in the offensive zone and they've both had tons of rebound chances where they just couldn't get their stick on the puck. I'm sure we'll go nuts whenever they get their first goals.

I haven't had a goal in like 5 games and I had one waved off last night on a quick whistle :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's the correct thing to do when coming in for a change and the puck ends up in your feet?

Exactly that happened to me tonight, my replacement hadn't hit the ice yet so I scooped up the puck and made a quick pass because several opponents were converging to take possession. This seemed fine to me, but a couple guys on the bench groused at me for doing it.

I mean, the real failure to me seems to be on the doofus that was trying to pass to me when I was clearly headed towards the bench (had my hand in the air and everything).

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
If the change isn't fully completed (as in the next person isn't on the ice yet), then there's nothing wrong with playing the puck. However if your changing linemate had already touched the ice then you can't play the puck (as it'll count as too many men on the ice) so you're best off ignoring it and getting of the ice and hope the new guy on the ice will get the puck in time.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

What's the correct thing to do when coming in for a change and the puck ends up in your feet?

Exactly that happened to me tonight, my replacement hadn't hit the ice yet so I scooped up the puck and made a quick pass because several opponents were converging to take possession. This seemed fine to me, but a couple guys on the bench groused at me for doing it.

I mean, the real failure to me seems to be on the doofus that was trying to pass to me when I was clearly headed towards the bench (had my hand in the air and everything).

Yeah that's fine, but in most cases your replacement will already be on the ice before you get to the bench which is probably why you got groused at.

During your change, that puck is grenade, so you gotta dive head first over those boards!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Awesome Animals posted:

lol, story time. I had a wheelie bag for a few years during youth hockey. Make the high school team as a freshman and haven't been given my school gear yet. Wheel my bag into the locker room and sit down. Captain of the team walks in, grabs my bag and throws it out of the locker room. He then grabs me and throws me out of the locker room and tells me not to come back until I have a proper bag. One of the other captains invites me back into the locker room, but drat if I wasn't as distraught as I've ever been. I then became his target, even though we were both defenders, during practices. It was a tough preseason. Stupid wheelie bag (also, I know the dude was just being an rear end in a top hat, but drat if it didn't make me hate the wheelie bags :colbert:).
Shame he wasn't a forward, I would've given him a suicide pass or two. That poo poo is enraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

xzzy posted:

To be fair, it's a pretty nice bag once you get past the "FUNK OFF" branding.

quote:

FUNK OFF FAN FEATURE FORCES STANK AIR OUT OF BAG FROM SIDE AND CLEAN FRESH AIR FROM TOP FULL MESH PANEL FOR ULTIMATE AIR FLOW AND QUICKER DRYING TIME